Live from QV now-Lido problems?

dundalkspur

I hope somebody from Cunard/Carnival reads this and takes some action. We are currently on the Queen Victoria and we are having a number of issues with the Lido.

Number one issue is that there are a number of flies floating around and when we raised the matter with the Maitre D' of the Lido and the Purser's Desk we were given to understand that to implement measures to get rid of the flies would not be allowed for H&E reasons - I cannot see that leaving flies on food could be healthier. We are Elite members of Princess and have never been on a ship where we have encountered flies.

Number two issue is our great disappointment in finding that our very much looked forward to "Indian Buffet" night never happened in the Lido. Instead it has been moved to the Todd English restaurant for a higher charge of $20.00 - with service charge. This feels like a very cynical move. Reading about the Indian Buffet in the Lido formed part of our decision to come on this cruise.

The third issue with the Lido is that on 7 occasions we went to have our meal there to find that the hot water and coffee had run out - basic requirement for any bog standard restaurant is a supply of coffee/hot water for tea - I noticed that the burners underneath the various pots had been allowed to go out - I had to point this out to the waiter and asked him to re-ignite the burners and bring new ones. The queues of disappointed people at the tea/coffee points was full of frustration.

This is my wife's first Cunard cruise - can't see me being able to persuade her to go on another one!

If you are currently onboard ask to speak to the Food and Beveridge Manager and put your concerns to them vebally and also in writing. If they are made aware of the issues then they are in a position to rectify them.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise.

I noticed that the burners underneath the various pots had been allowed to go out

BURNERS????? Like real gas/flame burners?? -- on a ship!!

The only hot water heaters/urns I have ever seen on cruiseships have been electric.

Barry

Indian Buffet in TODD ENGLISH?????

I have experienced Indian Buffets in a number of ships - all in the buffet restaurants. On a recent cruise on Pacific Pearl to Tahiti, passengers asked if the staff would consider serving a proper Indian buffet in the Lido area around the main pool - the staff , being mostly being Indian , were very pleased to hear that passengers enjoyed Indian food so much - they willingly put this on as an "extra" for those who wished to partake.

However, I cannot imagine how a speciality restaurant (such as Todd English ) would put on a "buffet" in their restaurant?? Was it put on in the Lido area itself??

Barry

The Indian evening meal (Coriander) alternative dining (Lido at $10) had proved so popular that it had to be moved to a much larger venue in reponse to guest feedback.

(The problem is, F&B at Cunard are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't)

IMO it is well worth the $20 surcharge as additional items have been added to the menu and offers more. This larger comfortable venue together with the impeccable table service is more conducive to an evening now refered to as "Gateway of India" .

Todd English dinning still remains and alternates between the Gateway of India evenings.

Bell Boy:)

Hello Bazzaw, The Indian evenings (Coriander) were not really buffet/self service, although they were part of a cornered off area within the Lido they offered table service.

In an earlier thread we had a discussion re the dwindling interest in 'Todd English dining' particularly on Queen Victoria. I believe it's all down to the ship itinerary and guest demographic.

The Indian evening meal (Coriander) alternative dining (Lido at $10) had proved so popular that it had to be moved to a much larger venue in reponse to guest feedback.

(The problem is, F&B at Cunard are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't)

IMO it is well worth the $20 surcharge as additional items have been added to the menu and offers more. This larger comfortable venue together with the impeccable table service is more conducive to an evening now refered to as "Gateway of India" .

Todd English dinning still remains and alternates between the Gateway of India evenings.

Not so Todd English is considerably smaller than the Lido & as Todd English is a Franchise they also have to have there cut of any profits + Cunard's profit a more expensive product which in real terms is paying twice as much for a very similar product

Not so Todd English is considerably smaller than the Lido & as Todd English is a Franchise they also have to have there cut of any profits + Cunard's profit a more expensive product which in real terms is paying twice as much for a very similar product

Tuggy, ;) I've just got off the Vic and as I understand it ( from the horse's mouth ;)) By responding to guest feedback and moving coriander into another venue, F&B have been able to accommodate far more booking 'per evening' than they were able too in the original (small) area they were allocated.

Agree, the Lido is lager than TE however most of the Lido and some parts of galley & service areas have to be closed off during the evenings to enable cleaning and preparation throughout the night for early morning breakfast etc.

Tuggy, ;) I've just got off the Vic and as I understand it ( from the horse's mouth ;)) By responding to guest feedback and moving coriander into another venue, F&B have been able to accommodate far more booking 'per evening' than they were able too in the original (small) area they were allocated.

Agree, the Lido is lager than TE however most of the Lido and some parts of galley & service areas have to be closed off during the evenings to enable cleaning and preparation throughout the night for early morning breakfast etc.

I do believe that which you have posted is what the Company has said & not your opinion on the matter, But i do not believe Cunard's reasoning behind this decision is suspect!! Since when has Cunard responded to passenger feedback?? The recent re flagging issue comes to mind thousands of complaints & yet Cunard's response is still zero, This company is in the gripe of the beancounters & they are ruining it for extra profit! which many Cunarders are getting pretty angry with.

Thanks for that - now I understand what is happening. I hope they continue with this until we go on QV in 6 months time. I am always in for a GOOD Indian meal!! :) I spent 3 months on P&O UK ships and was quite disappointed with their "famous" Indian nights. Unfortunately, even with Indian chefs, they were pale imitations of genuine Indian cooking - very westernised!! This also happened on shore tours in Asia - in Manilla, Saigon, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok - I was expecting to get some genuine food during shore tour lunches - but they were all western style buffets with western foods (in VERY nice hotels).

PS --- What is F & B??

Barry

Thanks for that - now I understand what is happening. I hope they continue with this until we go on QV in 6 months time. I am always in for a GOOD Indian meal!! :) I spent 3 months on P&O UK ships and was quite disappointed with their "famous" Indian nights. Unfortunately, even with Indian chefs, they were pale imitations of genuine Indian cooking - very westernised!! This also happened on shore tours in Asia - in Manilla, Saigon, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok - I was expecting to get some genuine food during shore tour lunches - but they were all western style buffets with western foods (in VERY nice hotels).

PS --- What is F & B??

Barry

Hi Barry. If you want really good Indian food at sea, try SeaDream I. the head chef, Sudesh Kishore, does a fabulous Indian Night and will prepare dishes on request on other nights. Wonderful.:D

On last week's QV cruise I got the impression Todds is on last legs - now closed most luchtimes, and that Cunard has seen an opportunity to generate extra revenue by moving the Indian nights to Todds at USD 20.00 (was free 12 months ago in Lido). Lido now offering French and "American" food nights at charge.

As I recall from looking at menu, the Indian meal in Todds had no a la carte option, just a mix of starters and main courses being delivered to the table.

D

I am a cynic, so , if the Indian night is held in the Lido , Cunard have to charge $10 per person, but switch it to Todd English and they can charge $20 per person. Does not take an Einstein to see the logic for Cunard behind that change.

When I was on QV last, I had a perk of a free lunch at TE, but like Sunshinesdad, I found myself unable to use this, as TE was closed most lunchtimes, even closed several evenings,

Will watch the reviews between now and Feb, to read any feedback from this lates "nickle and diming " move.

We have just come off QV and had exactly the same problem with coffee but at breakfast. 2 machines were broken and the urns were just empty. There was no coffee mugs and when I complained their excuse was that people take them to their staterooms. I said that wasn't an excuse and coffee needed to kept flowing.

I noticed that the burners underneath the various pots had been allowed to go out

BURNERS????? Like real gas/flame burners?? -- on a ship!!

The only hot water heaters/urns I have ever seen on cruiseships have been electric.

Barry

Yes they have naked flame burners, yes, on the ship. Not a problem that I've ever seen, excepting when they run out of fuel and the poorly trained Cunard employees don't do anything about it.

Having eaten most dinners in the MDR, I can't comment on the Indian meal but I have to agree that they often ran out of coffee in the machines and the urns. I brought it to the attention of the staff and they went about to correct it. At least once the coffee in the urns were barely luke warm because the burners went out. I found the coffee/juice area very crowded and not laid out very well.

Russ

I do believe that which you have posted is what the Company has said & not your opinion on the matter, But i do not believe Cunard's reasoning behind this decision is suspect!! Since when has Cunard responded to passenger feedback?? The recent re flagging issue comes to mind thousands of complaints & yet Cunard's response is still zero, This company is in the gripe of the beancounters & they are ruining it for extra profit! which many Cunarders are getting pretty angry with.

I agree with you 100%. Firstly ,when I did complain and I only got a response when I wrote on Cruise Critic !For 2 days my written complaint was ignored. Secondly ,dubling the price and moving to the mostly empty TE is not a good idea -as we found the other night.The food was abismal and Indians would be ashamed to serve such rubbish-to be fair the LIDO has provided us with a few good curries on normal days ,like venison curry and a daily lunchtime dahl! I was also right about the "fly issue" as we now have an out break of NOVO VIRUS on board and are at code red!

Lastly, I am writing this in an internet cafe in CORFU today as someone has stopped me accessing cruise critic on board QV and today is the first day I have been able to view CC!

Archived