Venice Hotels, your thoughts/advice?

Donder1

We just booked the Hotel: Santa Chiara in Venice near Piazzale Roma for two nights prior to leaving from Venice on the Ruby Princess.

What do you think of this hotel and price?

NUMBER OF NIGHTS: 2

Hotel: Santa Chiara

City: Venezia

ROOMS BOOKED:

1 Double Room - Breakfast Buffet Daily total

13/09/2012 199.00 EUR 199.00 EUR

14/09/2012 239.00 EUR 239.00 EUR

Total price : 438.00 EUR

----------

It is a convenient location for getting to and from the cruise and airport but for me the price would be too high!

Everyone has a different size budget and for you it may be just right.

Agree with the above comment that the price seems high. Personally, I would check more with sites such as http://www.tripadvisor.com

http://www.hotels.com

Venice is a very costly city and what's available can change, up or down, as you get closer to your actual visit time. Get something book, but keep check back for better, more affordable options. Location is very, very important. That hotel near Piazzale Roma is at some distance from the key evening and walking around places that are nearer to San Marco Square. Don't forget that spending time there is so important for experiencing Venice in the evening after many of the tour/bus mobs have left from doing their day visits.

Below are some of my examples for why the evenings are so important to see Venice in the evenings.

You might look at this earlier posting that I did with many options and visual potentials shown for this city that is so great for "walking around".

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226&highlight=venice

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 48,983 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

At night in Venice it is a totally different and more magical city. Here were are ready to enter San Marco Piazza at sunset. You see the Campanile tower, St. Mark’s Cathedral and people. The bands on this square are playing. So wonderful and charming!:

VeniceSanMarcoSqNight.jpg

Having an overnight there allows time to sample the evening orchestras on San Marco Square playing to the crowds. Great fun at night in a historic setting.:

VeniceSanMarcoNightBand.jpg

It was a full moon for our evening in Venice. Here is that view of the moon as we walked at night past the Doge’s Palace.:

VeniceNightMoonDogePalace.jpg

Don’t miss the sail-out and/or sail-in for Venice. This was our view from the top of the ship as we approached the historic center of Venice. On a beautiful day, as we enjoyed, this is so spectacular!!!:

VeniceSailInWider.jpg

We just booked the Hotel: Santa Chiara in Venice near Piazzale Roma for two nights prior to leaving from Venice on the Ruby Princess.

ROOMS BOOKED:

----------

On the basis of price alone, that hotel is middle of the road for Venice. Locanda Orseolo, one of the deserved favorites on this board and on Trip Advisor will cost 500 Euros per night to 580 Euros per night for the same dates. Other posters have written about well-regarded lower priced hotels. These names should turn up in a search.

The location is very good.

I stayed at Ca Doge in Pizzale Roma and loved it. Piazzale Roma is the transportation hub of Venice. There is a tourist kiosk just outside the door of Ca Doge. The bus or taxi to/from the airport, the vaporetto stop, bridge across to the train station and the peoplemover to the pier.

We did see the Santa Chiara on the other side of the Piazzale, and it is right on the Grand Canal. Looked like a lovely place. Sure a lot more convenient than having to cross a lot of bridges with luggage, take a vaporetto with luggage, or arrange a $$$$$ water taxi ride to/from the hotel to the pier.

We did purchase a vaporetto pass and went to San Marco Piazza a number of times. Finding it flooded with tables for walking on a few times, one evening to see the bands at the cafes, and go up in the Bell Tower. Do a walking tour (ours had a 20 minutes gondola ride included). You miss nothing of the ambiance of Venice by not staying near San Marco JMO of course. We also rode the vaporetto to Murano and Lido. Too much wind and storms to make the crossing to Burano, so missed that island.

I think you've made a good choice in hotels. Relax and enjoy your trip!

I want to add that I agree one does NOT have to stay near San Marco Square to enjoy Venice!! In fact SM Square is NOT even close to my favorite place in that city(except maybe at sunset)!!

BTW Locando Orseolo is waaaaay out of my preferred budget!!

I hope you have a wonderful visit!!

Thanks for all the sage advice. We can cancel this hotel without penalty as long as we do it 4 days before. But, I will continue to look, for sure. I liked this one as it seemed easy to get to from the airport and to go to the pier. I'd love some other good suggestions. I am a planner and love to get advice and share mine from places where we have cruised. BTW, the pictures have me getting so excited!

Thanks for all the sage advice. We can cancel this hotel without penalty as long as we do it 4 days before. But, I will continue to look, for sure. I liked this one as it seemed easy to get to from the airport and to go to the pier. I'd love some other good suggestions. I am a planner and love to get advice and share mine from places where we have cruised. BTW, the pictures have me getting so excited!

You're taking a great approach with all of your research and planning. It will pay big dividends when you get there. Fortunately, Venice is not that super big. I would agree that you don't need to be right at or near San Marco Square. Many good reasons to have a little distance from that hyper busy spot. Lots of good options in Venice. Glad the pictures are helping you get "excited!". Venice is very unique and special. One of my all-time favorites.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 48,983 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

A co-worker recommended the Antiche Figure for our cruise next August. He stayed there last year and really loved it. It looks beautiful from his pictures and from the website. I was all set to book with them, but decided to check around a bit first. I came across the Hotel Olimpia. I showed my co-worker their website, and he thought it looked very nice too. Hotel Olimpia rate (double room) was 106.60EUR for August 23 and 155.80EUR for August 24. The rate I got from Antiche Figure was 199EUR each night for a double room and 269EUR each night for a double room overlooking the Grand Canal. For us, the price at the Olimpia won out!;)

http://www.hotel-olimpia.com/

One more thing. Have any of you stayed or know about Hotel Antiche Figure?

Thanks!

Our dinnermates on the cruise have stayed at the Antiche Figure 3 or 4 times before a cruise. They enjoy it very much. It's at the Piazzale Roma which is such a convenient location. Here is a list of hotels near the PRoma. If you need an elevator be sure to inquire specifically. The Olimpia requires one bridge crossing but it's a very small bridge. Get a garden view to avoid noise from the PRoma square.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal-hotels-piazzale-roma.htm

Take a look at veniceforvisitors.com. We booked the Hotel Arlecchino (classic double with a canal view) for 166 euros for 5/17/2012. We chose this hotel for its convenience to P. Roma (upon arrival) and the People Mover, when traveling to the port for departure of our cruise.

The hotel manager has been very prompt in responding to all of my requests...esp. depositing luggage on our arrival (in the event we arrive earlier than our room is ready) and storing luggage before we need to travel over to board the ship!

We are very happy with our choice.:)

Carolyn

With two nights I'd really think about getting something in closer. Much of the magic of Venice is the narrow streets and canals and backways.

We only stayed one night and actually decided to stay near St Marks. We flew in, took a boat/taxi in, dropped our luggage at the hotel, wandered around than checked in around 1pm. Even for one night we found it special to wander in and out and just have everything right at our doorstep. Sadly the next morning we left for the ship, which did an overnight.

IMHO two nights, do central Venice, especially with what you are paying! Everything in Italy is expensive might as well pay a tad more and have it at your doors step!

ROOMS BOOKED:

----------

we have booked this hotel next July,first night rate 159 euros 2nd night 179

we particularly liked that there are NO bridges to cross with luggage from drop off in P Roma to get to the hotel

however be aware there will be a locally payable tax on hotels in Venice which will be on top of quoted rates

Lyn

Wow, so much to think about. My partner is Diamond Level at Hilton and we thought about the Molino Stucky. (We would likely be upgraded and have access to Exec. Lounge) Seems expensive and I am not sure of the location. Any thoughts about this one? I will look into the suggestions of the Olimpia and staying in St. Mark's area. Thanks!

Venice is a very small city.

You can walk from Piazzale Roma or take a vaporetto(water bus) quite easily to get around.

San Marco Square is the most touristy crowded(during the day)area with high end shops and expensive(not necessarily the best) restaurants.

You can stay anywhere in the city and be able to see everything you want there easily.

The Hilton Molina Stucky is on the Giudecca Island.

It has its own shuttle boat that will take you across the canal to the San Marco area but it is not as convenient to arrive and leave as your first choice hotel.

Take a look at veniceforvisitors.com. We booked the Hotel Arlecchino (classic double with a canal view) for 166 euros for 5/17/2012. We chose this hotel for its convenience to P. Roma (upon arrival) and the People Mover, when traveling to the port for departure of our cruise.

The hotel manager has been very prompt in responding to all of my requests...esp. depositing luggage on our arrival (in the event we arrive earlier than our room is ready) and storing luggage before we need to travel over to board the ship!

We are very happy with our choice.:)

Carolyn

We stayed in the Hotel Arlecchino Oct.26th and also choose it for the convenience. The front desk clerk, Marco was very friendly and helpful. We stayed in room 907. It was elevator to the third floor then stairs to the fourth. The room was warm and there was no AC because it's fall. No screens on the windows and there were some mosquitos. Most crowded bathroom I've ever been in, including the ship.

Russ

Wow, so much to think about. My partner is Diamond Level at Hilton and we thought about the Molino Stucky. (We would likely be upgraded and have access to Exec. Lounge) Seems expensive and I am not sure of the location. Any thoughts about this one? I will look into the suggestions of the Olimpia and staying in St. Mark's area. Thanks!

We stayed at the Molino Stucky a year and a half ago - it was included in our TA/Hotel/Flight package. I thought that I would miss staying in actual Venice, but it was lovely. We were directly across from San Marco - the boat was easy and came by often. If you can get a good price, I wouldn't hesitate to book. We took a water taxi to the airport - it was definitely one of my "Lifestyles of the rich and famous" moments!

I disagree with those who say you need to stay closer to St. Mark's square. I think your hotel is in an excellent location with no bridges to cross with your luggage. The vaporetto system will get you anywhere in Venice easily and is a not-to-be-missed experience in itself.

You can get the Molino Stucky for a great price bidding through Priceline . Go to websites such as betterbidding.com for info on how to bid.

OH my! We have read everything we can, incl your advice on these boards. I have now booked Hotel Campiello near san Marco and canceled the other. Also, we have decided to stay 3 nights before out cruise. Would love to hear your thoughts .

We stayed in the Hotel Arlecchino Oct.26th and also choose it for the convenience. The front desk clerk, Marco was very friendly and helpful. We stayed in room 907. It was elevator to the third floor then stairs to the fourth. The room was warm and there was no AC because it's fall. No screens on the windows and there were some mosquitos. Most crowded bathroom I've ever been in, including the ship.

Russ

We stayed next door at the Olimpia. same type of hotel except bathroom OK. Elevator big enough for two. Right around the corner is one of the best gelato stands in Venice. Really miss it now.

Archived