name some good books

usahawk

Ok I see alot of people with kindels and alot of people who like to sit back with a good book. I don't read alot but do like a good book from time to time. What are some really good books out there, the kind you can't put down. I prefer true crime-mysterys-and fiction best but would like to hear from others on what would be a good read----Thanks

Ok I see alot of people with kindels and alot of people who like to sit back with a good book. I don't read alot but do like a good book from time to time. What are some really good books out there, the kind you can't put down. I prefer true crime-mysterys-and fiction best but would like to hear from others on what would be a good read----Thanks

Have a look at goodreadsdotcom. Plenty of recommendations and reviews from all genres. Also try Stephen King's 11/22/63. It's a good read.

Love Stephen King....also, for lighthearted "mystery", Robert B. Parker writes the "Spenser" series....very funny and quick to read!

I don't do "true crime" stuff....but 'Silence of the Lambs' is a great crime story....not true, but it could be!!!! Even if you've seen the movie, the book is better!

James Michener for sure- worth re-reading every few years.

Edward Rutherfurd's novels- not just New york (my copy has just flown there with my American neighbour), but also London, and Sarum.

For a book which grips you in the first few pages, any by John Grisham, or Dick Francis.

For Christmas, I'm getting Reginald Hill's Woodcutter....mystery, but written about my local beach. Perhaps on Kindle, if Santa's listening...

Jo.

The Maiden's Grave by Jeffery Deaver. Suspenseful hostage drama played out in an abandoned slaughterhouse with deaf hostages.

Under the Dome by Stephen King was also a good read.

Love Jeffery Deaver. The Bone Collector was a good, suspensful read. About a hundred times better than the movie.

I love Janet Evanovich, start at the beginning of her Stephanie Plum series.

One of my major decisions when packing is what books I'm taking. The last two cruises were two-week ones so I brought three books. usually a chick-lit book, a suspense thriller (like Patricia Cornwell or Faye Kellerman), and another fictional one. Humorous books work well for me.

My sister did give us a cheapie e-reader some months ago but it's hard to deal with (never know how much to charge it -- the instructions say to be careful not to overcharge:eek:, but not how to achieve that goal). I would like to be able to load some guide books for the ports on an e-reader, but would prefer a more dependable one.

One thing I've discovered is just because a book is about cruising, I may not necessarily like it. I was so disappointed in one by Mary Higgins Clark (I think that's her name) and one by Evanovich (I love her Stephanie Plum books, but find many of her older resurrected ones not to my liking). The one by Carl Hiasson was funny.

I love Forensic Anthropologists, Kathy Reichs (Temperance Brennan series) and Beverly Connor (Dianne Fallon series). Both authors are real scientists, so they are accurate and plausible. Many are based on real crimes.

Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta books are in the same vein. The earlier ones are better than the later ones though - her niece Lucy started to get really annoying later on.

Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta books are in the same vein. The earlier ones are better than the later ones though - her niece Lucy started to get really annoying later on.

Agree! I stopped reading them when Lucy's lifestyle became a bigger part of the plot than the murder! :rolleyes:

My sister did give us a cheapie e-reader some months ago but it's hard to deal with (never know how much to charge it -- the instructions say to be careful not to overcharge:eek:' date=' but not how to achieve that goal). I would like to be able to load some guide books for the ports on an e-reader, but would prefer a more dependable one.

[/quote']

I love my ereader:):):)(wish there was a better selection of icons to show this!), but there are no warnings about overcharging the battery, and TBH, I can't see how that would cause major damage. Some battery types do have a 'memory effect', where they gradually lose the ability to keep a charge, but ereader need to be charged far less frequently than laptops or phones, for instance. What make is it?

I love my ereader:):):)(wish there was a better selection of icons to show this!), but there are no warnings about overcharging the battery, and TBH, I can't see how that would cause major damage. Some battery types do have a 'memory effect', where they gradually lose the ability to keep a charge, but ereader need to be charged far less frequently than laptops or phones, for instance. What make is it?

I have a Kindle and the instructions are correct about one thing - the battery last a whole lot longer if you keep the wi-fi turned Off when not needed.

Oh gosh, yes. Wifi's a power hog, on any machine - I have a netbook that I use mainly for travel, and if I forget to turn off the wifi (which is easy to do, because it doesn't have an actual switch - it's via the Fn button), a fully charged battery will be totally flat in a fortnight.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's "Sherlock Holmes" books are fun to go back to, especially if it's been a while since you've read any of them. I'm a big fan of Edgar Rice Burroughs, and enjoy re-reading his "Tarzan" novels occasionally.

Archived