Alaska 2013

spencercoop

I was thinking about it today, and was wondering what any of you think Carnival is going to do.

Theory 1: The Liberty or Valor goes to NY year round and the Miracle comes down to Miami. During the summer the Miracle does Alaska while in the winter she goes back to Miami and does Caribbean cruises.

Theory 2: The Liberty or Valor goes around South America (until Panama Canal is widened) and takes over for the Splendor while she does Alaska during the summer. The Splendor is better fitted for Alaska than the Liberty or Valor because of the nicer midship covered pool area. Then after the Alaska season the Liberty or Valor goes back around South America to do Caribbean cruises. (Very unlikely because of the hassle of going around South America, but more likely when the Panama Canal is widened.)

Theory 3: The Splendor does Alaska and Carnival abandons 7 Day Mexico cruises during the summer

Theory 4: The Splendor does Alaska and the Inspiration does a 4/3/7 schedule so they still have 7 day Mexico cruises in the summer.

My guess is theory 3 or 4 is the most likely that will happen. I just wanted to see if anyone had any different theories.

What about the option where Carnival doesn't do Alaska at all. Taxes and costs for these cruises is high and profit margins probably not great for the cost to get a part time ship to Seattle.

I think Carnival would rather go the few miles to the Bahamas over and over and use less fuel.

I also think Australia will be such a profitable area for Carnival they will send another ship down there.

It's difficult to say what Carnival will do. My heart says theory 1.....but my brain says theory 3 or 4. One of my "dream" cruise is the Panama Canal and the Miracle would be my choice...cuz the Spirit class ships are my favorite!! Unfortunately... for us west coast cruisers..most cruise lines are looking for "greener" pastures and getting the heck outta here!!

What about the option where Carnival doesn't do Alaska at all. Taxes and costs for these cruises is high and profit margins probably not great for the cost to get a part time ship to Seattle.

I think Carnival would rather go the few miles to the Bahamas over and over and use less fuel.

I also think Australia will be such a profitable area for Carnival they will send another ship down there.

I hope Carnival doesn't drop the Alaska cruises. I thought they were money makers, every line that does them out of Seattle (or vancouver) has to deal with repositioning the ship for the season.

John Heald has said several times that Carnival will do Alaska in 2013. I think most likely the Splendor will spend summers in Alaska and Inspiration may do a few 7 day cruises from Long Beach to fill the void. The Splendor is already scheduled to do Hawaii in Jan. 2013. This use to be done by the Spirit.

The Spirit class ships seem to be the best match for Alaska with the number of balconies and overall cabins. However, according to a Carnival press release, the Miracle will be based year-round in New York. I think the Legend is required in Tampa as larger ships can't fit under a bridge there. The Pride seems to be doing well in Baltimore, but I guess they could replace it with another ship (Freedom, Liberty, Valor) to move it to Alaska.

I really don't think they'd move a larger ship around South America for just the summer months. A Fantasy class won't do Alaska because there aren't enough balconies. Right now bookings are available through April 2013. The remainder of 2013 should open up for bookings very soon, hopefully by the end of the year, then we'll know for sure what ship will be in Alaska 2013.

If I remember correctly when they announced that the Spirit would be moving to Alaska, they said that they are committed to serving Alaska even after the Spirit moves to Australia.

But I guess nothing has stopped them from leaving a market before.

I do not think that going around S America with a ship is going to happen. Carnival does not do such long cruises.

Carnival might say now it is commited to Alaska but can change its mind. Would think that they would be sending a ship back to Europe for the warmer months starting in 2013.

I do not think that going around S America with a ship is going to happen. Carnival does not do such long cruises.

Carnival might say now it is commited to Alaska but can change its mind. Would think that they would be sending a ship back to Europe for the warmer months starting in 2013.

Interesting.... If they do a sail around South America it would be a one way bringing the Splendor back. You are correct about Carnival not doing placement cruises (especially long ones... ). Can't back it up with facts, but I wondered art the time whether the Splendor sailed full on the three segments to get her to the west coast. All of the pictures I saw from postings here made her look not crowded.

I would vote for option 4. That being said, they have some ships that have not changed in a while, Victory, Liberty come to mind. With the Breeze going to Miami in the fall of next year, we might see a domino effect of ships to new ports.

IMO they are going to send a Spirit class ship to Alaska. having been there, anything bigger than that is simply too big for the confined waterways and tiny ports.

The Splendor shouldn't be too big. Princess has ships around the same size that sail in Alaska.

Archived