Should we book the Murano Restaurant on Celebrity Century

cassiw

Sailing on the Century shortly and was wondering if we should go to the expense of booking a meal in the Murano Restaurant one night. I realize it is $30 extra so do you get quite a bit extra in this restaurant or should we use the money towards a spa treatment or similar. Also are the drinks more expensive in the Murano than the main dining room, New to cruising so was just wondering if we should include this in our experiences. If the answer is yes should I book it before we sail. Thanks

It is actually $40 extra per/person, but in my opinion it is worth it. Murano is an excellent restaurant and the quality of the food, the ambiance and service are far superior to the main dining room. An equivalent meal on land would cost more than $40 per/person. I dined at Murano twice when I sailed on Century and my meals there were among the highlights of my cruise. Drink prices are not any higher at Murano, but they do have some higher end wines - you still can order beer and cocktails at the same price as the main dining room and some of their wines are not too terribly expensive. Check out the menu for Murano on Celebrity's website and see if it appeals to you; if it is to your liking I'd encourage you to book a reservation.

I usually don't go to the specialty restaurants but on our Century cruise last January we decided to go one night. It was amazing and well worth every penny we spent. I was actually surprised at how good the food and service was. I highly recommend that you give it a try.

Cassiw,

Murano is the only specialty venue on the Century. It is a wonderful intimate

setting for a fabulous meal with outstanding service. Is it worth $40.dollars? You have to decide that.

Here is a suggestion. when you board the ship, go to the spa and take a tour . You will be given their price list. You can book any services the first day or wait until they have special offers throughout the cruise. Then stop by Murano's and look at their menu. You can book while on board.

Finally, I always plan to spend a certain amount on the ship. Usually I end up spending more. :)

Enjoy your cruise!!

1) Just ate at Murano on Solstice and the lobster was awful, tough and tasteless. Very disappointing.

2) Spa services on board and much more expensive than on land, not very good in my experience, and you are subjected to a hard sell of their products. Save your money for a good shore excursion, preferably booked through a private tour operator.

1) Just ate at Murano on Solstice and the lobster was awful, tough and tasteless. Very disappointing.

Sorry that you were so disappointed. Was this prepared tableside? I ordered it on the Silhout. and mine was one of the best meals that I have ever had on a cruise. It was cut up and prepared just right for my taste and it certainly was not tasteless just the opposite. Perhaps they have not implemented this preparation on the Solstice.

My husband and I took a land trip to Las Vegas and ate at an Italian restaurant (Valentino, at the Venetian) that was on a similar level as Murano. We spent $250 on that meal and considered that the meal and service was actually not even as good as in Murano.

We have four reservations on our upcoming Silhouette cruise and left space for more if we don't enjoy Blu :)

Just retuned from the E. Carib., Silhouette. Hubby and I dined at Murano one night and had a great dinner. Service, ambiance, etc were terrific. Food was the best. I would strongly suggest you try Murano on your Celebrity cruise. J

quote]

and when you mentioned that to the waiter, what happened?

Sorry that you were so disappointed. Was this prepared tableside? I ordered it on the Silhout. and mine was one of the best meals that I have ever had on a cruise. It was cut up and prepared just right for my taste and it certainly was not tasteless just the opposite. Perhaps they have not implemented this preparation on the Solstice.

Didn't mention to the waiter as I was full and didn't want another entree. Yes, it was prepared tableside, and he put cream and mustard and some other items into the mix, but again it was tasteless. He cut up the lobster into little chunks. I would have preferred the tail whole with some lemon and drawn butter. We were also dining with another couple we had just met and didn't want to make a big deal--but DH and I felt the same way when we discussed it afterward.

I generally do not tell someone if I don't like their food--I choose not to make a scene and don't want to risk having my food spat on (or worse!) by a waitperson who doesn't take criticism well. I just vote with my feet and my pocketbook!

Edited by CathyCruises

Thanks for all the replies re dining at the Murano, there were more good comments than bad so we are taking the experience and will be able to report back. Looking forward to it.

We are booked for Murano on Century as well, and really looking forward to it, having already tried Murano on Equinox, and Normandie on Summit. Delicious! We're sailing ex Auckland on Jan 6, which are you on, cassiw?

Edited by astrocat

We booked to try all 3 on our last cruise with celebrity and Murano was the best and it was perfect. The at table making of some of the dishes, especially the crepe was fantastic.

They even went to another restaurant to fetch wine that we really wanted. Well worth it - if we can only pick 1 on our next cruise - it would be Murano.

Sailing on the Century shortly and was wondering if we should go to the expense of booking a meal in the Murano Restaurant one night. I realize it is $30 extra so do you get quite a bit extra in this restaurant or should we use the money towards a spa treatment or similar. Also are the drinks more expensive in the Murano than the main dining room, New to cruising so was just wondering if we should include this in our experiences. If the answer is yes should I book it before we sail. Thanks

No.

I wouldn't unless decided I wanted to add $ 80.00 (plus tip and drinks / wine) to my cruise bill.

I find that as good as the extra cost restauants are, the MDR is still excellent and for $ 80.00 ++++ I can go out to a pretty nice restaurant when I get home and extend my vacation from the kitchen.

Yes only one week to go and we will be boarding the Century, all organized just hope the weather is kind. Will try and put a report up before you go.

I see now it is Dec 12! Have a great cruise, and please do report back for us!

• 1 month later...

Just returned from 1/6/12 Auckland to Sydney on Century. Yes, the Murano is "worth it." It is very fine dining. The last day, at sea, they have a special Murano lunch that is $25 rather than the $40 for dinner. Also, they had some specials on our sailing where you could eat at Murano multiple times for lesser cost per meal.

Just returned from 1/6/12 Auckland to Sydney on Century. Yes, the Murano is "worth it." It is very fine dining. The last day, at sea, they have a special Murano lunch that is $25 rather than the $40 for dinner. Also, they had some specials on our sailing where you could eat at Murano multiple times for lesser cost per meal.

Thanks for the report -- I hope they feature the special Murano sea-day lunch on our 15-niter to Hawaii! :D :cool:

• 2 months later...

Murano is one of the best Specialty restaurants on the seven seas and also awarded by Conde Nast. This intimate restaurant can hold up to 70 people per night and features special table surrounded by wine cellar. Service can be compared with any Michelin restaurant. Cheese trolley and butterfly service make this restaurant truly special.

My advice is to book Murano as soon as you board Celebrity Century.

Our dinner at Murano was a highlight of our Med. cruise last September on the Solstice. Yes, it is extra $$, but the meal, service, and ambiance would cost 4X the $40. per person in any city...if you can, I would definitely take advantage of this dining experience.

Hello, I know you have had a lot of responses, but just thought I would post my thoughts as well. Definately go to Murano at least once! We were on Century for Christmas/New Year and then back on again a few weeks later for another cruise. We ate at Murano once on our Christmas cruise and it was so good we ended up eating there another two times. On our second cruise of 18 nights, we went 5 times! Not only was the food very, very good, but the staff were also amazing! They welcomed us and made us feel so special every time we went. The service was attentive and the staff could also be quite playful in their service such as when they prepared some items of food tableside. You could order any drink in there, such as Martinis which my husband likes, and it was the same price as if you got the drink elsewhere on the ship. We loved it so much!!! I wish we could have eaten there every night.

Didn't mention to the waiter as I was full and didn't want another entree. Yes, it was prepared tableside, and he put cream and mustard and some other items into the mix, but again it was tasteless. He cut up the lobster into little chunks. I would have preferred the tail whole with some lemon and drawn butter. We were also dining with another couple we had just met and didn't want to make a big deal--but DH and I felt the same way when we discussed it afterward.

I generally do not tell someone if I don't like their food--I choose not to make a scene and don't want to risk having my food spat on (or worse!) by a waitperson who doesn't take criticism well. I just vote with my feet and my pocketbook!

You are a nightmare for the service industry! We want to hear the goods and bads. Sorry you got a bad one. Did the servers not ask why you did not finish. It seems like the level of service would have been able to pick up on it.

That being said, the lobster I had was the best meal I had on Equinox. I liked that they made it more creative than just a tail.

So you should definitely try it.