Is it just us.....

jamesnnb

We've only been on 4 cruises. I've been so excited every time I've walked across the gangway. I'm excited now about our next cruise and I still have 4 months to wait before I can book it! Alaska!!!! The thing that makes a cruise so exciting to me everytime is that the kids and I get DH all to ourselves - no phone calls from work, no reports to finish, absolutely NOTHING to distract him from family! For Alaska, I actually convinced him to take 2 weeks B2B of vacation so we can tour inland for a week and then cruise Southboud on the Millie (well that's my choice, but we'll see if the kids and DH agree with me). I just can't imagine any of the excitement ever getting old.

Well, I dread packing, hate flying, and my bags seem to get heavier every time I have to schlep them somewhere. :eek:

But -- you just can't duplicate the feeling you get when you step off the gangplank and onto a ship! Suddenly, all that other aggravation seems trivial. :D

We are the same way! Not only are we excited about each and every cruise but we get very excited when we cruise with newbie's. Our very first cruise was a three night on the Noric Empress and we still remember how wonderful it was. May the joy and excitement of each and every future cruise never leave you!

I have to jump on this bandwagon. More than 20 cruises and 3 booked for 2012. My excitment starts when I book it. Then each step of booking excursions, hotel before, air flights ( prices are bit of a downer) and then arriving at the airport and knowing IT'S HAPPENING!!

Cruiser Susie, I'm with you. Twisting around as the cab or shuttle bus pulls into the port, looking for OUR ship. And I always do it, yell out load, there she is! As I'm standing inline to check in, the mantra starts in my head, " I'm going on a cruise, I'm going on a cruise." When I cruise with my sister we actually link arms and skip up the gangplank, singing we're going on a cruise. Very embarrassing to my children when come with us.:D It's definitely Christmas morning once again.

This is one of travels great experiences, and it is true that it never seems to fade. Its not just the start of vacation, I think its also that anticipation of a journey. Arriving at a hotel or resort never feels anywhere near as good. The only thing I cant decide is whether its more acute on a new ship or one you've grown familiar with.

As I'm standing inline to check in, the mantra starts in my head, " I'm going on a cruise, I'm going on a cruise." When I cruise with my sister we actually link arms and skip up the gangplank, singing we're going on a cruise. .

Boy do I understand this....I start singing the second I wake up on embarkation day.....it's ALL good on that day...even the bad is good...after all YOU'RE GOING ON A CRUISE!!!:D:D

Yep, we've been on 27, have 3 more booked, and still get that giddy feeling every time we step on the ship for our next cruise! Nothing like being in the middle of blue meets blue, and that is all we can see. Being waited on, having so many things to do, seeing fantastic sunrise and sunsets. Waking up at a new destination each morning! What a life! :D :D

I see some of you taking 3 to 4 cruises a year... I cant fathom that. Mind you I love the sea, spent a lot of years on it in the Navy, Even had a blue water sail boat that I cruised thousands of miles in the So. Pacific With. But thats like every 10 to 15 weeks...

I cruise, as I said, for the ocean experience, not so much the shows in 4 weeks I may see 1 a week, ship or food, and the ports

My first first cruise ( without a watch) was 7 days. About 5 days into it I figgured 7 was not anywhere enough . So I jumpted to 14. That was better but still, to me lacking Next jump was to 28. Now that was more like it. Then I pushed it up to 36.. and it was great too. We now have decided nothing shorter than 21 days.

My problem is I am running out of cruises to do. circled the Pacific and crossed it several times Done most all of the Med and So Atlantic and there is nothing in India, or Africa or the Gulf states that is worth the risk.

And I have have enough carribe for 2 life times..

Next year we plan a 28 day around Southern So America and Antarctica. In the future I can only think of 3 to 4 more trips Australia to Shanghai; Amsterdam to the North Cape and St Petersberg; Fla to Lima through the Canal then up to San Diego.

My question is, how do you get excited doing the same cruise over and over, Which is what you would have to do cruising that mych over the years? How do you keep from feelings of routine if your making the same trips on the same ships it seems,from the same ports to the same ports?

How do you do it...keep motivated..?

I see some of you taking 3 to 4 cruises a year... I cant fathom that. Mind you I love the sea, spent a lot of years on it in the Navy, Even had a blue water sail boat that I cruised thousands of miles in the So. Pacific With. But thats like every 10 to 15 weeks...

I cruise, as I said, for the ocean experience, not so much the shows in 4 weeks I may see 1 a week, ship or food, and the ports

My first first cruise ( without a watch) was 7 days. About 5 days into it I figgured 7 was not anywhere enough . So I jumpted to 14. That was better but still, to me lacking Next jump was to 28. Now that was more like it. Then I pushed it up to 36.. and it was great too. We now have decided nothing shorter than 21 days.

My problem is I am running out of cruises to do. circled the Pacific and crossed it several times Done most all of the Med and So Atlantic and there is nothing in India, or Africa or the Gulf states that is worth the risk.

And I have have enough carribe for 2 life times..

Next year we plan a 28 day around Southern So America and Antarctica. In the future I can only think of 3 to 4 more trips Australia to Shanghai; Amsterdam to the North Cape and St Petersberg; Fla to Lima through the Canal then up to San Diego.

My question is, how do you get excited doing the same cruise over and over, Which is what you would have to do cruising that mych over the years? How do you keep from feelings of routine if your making the same trips on the same ships it seems,from the same ports to the same ports?

How do you do it...keep motivated..?

Well for us, it's awesome to see the world but we generally do that by land anyway since my husband's business schedule requires a lot of international travel and I go too if it's an interesting place.

For us, cruises are purely to relax. People have been asking me where we go on our upcoming Silhouette trip (less than a month to go!) and I can honestly say I don't know and don't really care; it's somewhere warm and we can relax with a drink and a book on our balcony, eat good food and drink reasonable wine, and spend some time together without our son.

I got my luggage tags a few days ago which really helped bring home the excitement! This is our fifth cruise together and I'm at least as excited as I was for our first. We have two more booked after this, one for 2012 and one for 2013.

We cruise on December 17th on Constellation, and just the anticipation makes me happier than a pig in slop. :D

And here I thought you were going to say as "A waffle drenched in

butter and syrup":D;):)

We cruise on December 17th on Constellation, and just the anticipation makes me happier than a pig in slop. :D

Hey Ed,

We board the Nieuw Amsterdam on Dec 18th. We will probably be out on the beach (rocky area) watching your ship leave the Port of Everglades. One of our traditions is to go to that area and watch the ships leave the day before our cruise. We are doing a BtoB matching the N Amsterdam with the Millennium.

Have a great cruise!

Kel:)

Lois,

If this is your first Med cruise, you are in for a treat. It won't be your last Med cruise. They are the best. We are doing our third on the Silhouette in May and we are super excited about it.

Hi Mike:) Hope you and Carol are both doing well. Yes, it will be my

first cruise "across the pond";). It is 10 nights, Rome-Rome and I am

very much looking forward to it.:)

I'm having such fun reading these posts, especially everyone walking on the "gangplank". If we all do that we all end up in the drink:p It's the gangway guys. But, plank or way makes absolutely no difference to me. It's a cruise and I'm so there.

It's just funny picturing all of us heading up the gangplank and dropping off the other edge. Think about it and you'll have a good laugh to start the day.:D

Every cruise is an adventure. Every cruise is an experience and, oh my, why isn't March 17th here already for my next cruise on Silhouette;)

Have a great weekend.

Pat

Just completed my 40th cruise and I have to say the excitement NEVER goes away. I have to admit the most excited I ever became was when we boarded the Oasis. I had watched her being built via the Internet and was almost moved to tears when we finally got on. ( I know I am a sap!!!). I'm taking two newbies on her in April and I'm just as as excited as if it were my first cruise. Hope that feeling never goes away!

I cannot imagine that the excitement of boarding a cruiseship will ever leave me.

There is something about exiting the terminal and walking up the gangway that puts a skip in my step. a smile on my face and the feeling of great expectations. I've never boarded a cruiseship without these feelings and expect they will be with me on our 22nd cruise in March.

Hey Ed,

We board the Nieuw Amsterdam on Dec 18th. We will probably be out on the beach (rocky area) watching your ship leave the Port of Everglades. One of our traditions is to go to that area and watch the ships leave the day before our cruise. We are doing a BtoB matching the N Amsterdam with the Millennium.Have a great cruise! Kel:)

Thanks Kel, we hope you have a great (2) cruise also.

BTW, hold up a sign saying "Hello Tex", and I can spot you. :D

We've been on 25 cruises but every time we walk the gangway to embark the ship, the excitement begins! You try and look/feel calm/jaded while waiting in the terminal, but when our feet hit the gangway, it's like it is our first cruise.:) Anyone else get that feeling?

Exactly, except my thrill starts when I get the brochure.

Carole

We have only done four cruises, but each has been exciting. Never boring!! Part of it is picking interesting port areas where we will visit. Another key aspect is doing lots of advance planning, considering the many shore options, knowing the histories for these varied areas, etc. Below are links to a couple of live/blogs that I did from our two most recent cruises. The last two cruises we were traveling with friends. That adds to the excitement, plus knowing you will meet lots of good people on the cruise. Using these boards and roll calls to connect with folks in advance help so much. And builds the excitement!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 51,552 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 54,871 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

Archived