Rome Flight

jimb98

We are looking at a Mariner of the Seas cruise disembarking at Rome at 4.30 am. My TA has suggested s flight back to the UK at 8.55am. Is this doable, what time does anyone think we'll get of the ship in order to catch our flight?

Cheers,

Jim

I am guessing this time is when your ship is scheduled to arrive? After the ship docks, everyone on board must clear customs before anyone will be allowed to leave. Then you must find your luggage and get to the airport, which is about an hour drive.

I wouldn't feel comfortable booking this early of a return. RCI recommends you not book a flight earlier than 11:00 a.m.

Thanks, that pretty much confirms my fears. I don't have any history with this TA and I had my doubts immediately. I've found a flight myself that leaves at 12.55 so that looks much more sensible. Trouble is I hate waiting around at airports and we had a dreadful 5 hour wait at Venice last year so avoiding a repeat of that is very important to us.

I don't have any history with this TA and I had my doubts immediately.
Which should now prompt you to go back and research/evaluate their skill sets. You weren't just using them because of price, were you???
Trouble is I hate waiting around at airports and we had a dreadful 5 hour wait at Venice last year so avoiding a repeat of that is very important to us.
Thought experiment: Which would upset you more.....being 5 minutes late for a flight and thus having to wait a day or two for another one OR waiting 5 hours for an virtually-assured departure?? Unless there is a very compelling issue otherwise, I'll take the longer connect and have some extra peace of mind.

Books....Kindle....tablet....laptop.....iPod. Lots of things to do while waiting at an airport. You could even process/sort/label all the photos you took during the cruise. Plus, there is a Ferrari store at FCO.....

Flyertalker has listed several things to do, but first you have to get to the airport, find the right line, pass through all the government mandated stuff, get a boarding pass, and find the gate. :eek:

We did not find the process as easy as some other airports but a computer glitch in the Netherlands had everybody waiting in line for over an hour before they could process anyone.

Aren't computers wonderful?

It is amazing to me that your TA recommended a flight that early.

Go with the 12:55 flight.

What you can do is be in the last group that gets off the ship which could be as late as 9:30 AM.

By the time you claim your luggage and arrive to the airport it will be around 10:45 AM.

You will still need to check in, and make your way through security and that may put you at around 11:30 to 11:45.

That won't leave you a lot of time to just stand around the airport.

So often I hear of people rushing off the ship. You have the opportunity to do this right which is to end the cruise without being rushed.

Keith

Definitely go with the 12:55 flight. It sounds like you will not need to go through Terminal 5 which will save some time, but just because the ship docks at 4:30am does not mean you can get off then.

Our cruise this past summer docked at Civitavecchia about 5am (I think it was actually earlier since it woke me up when we went into port). They allowed self-debarkation about 7:15am. We easily walked off about 7:25am and in 10 min. were on our way to the airport with private transport.

And the FCO airport has some amazing shops. I wish I had gotten more time to shop. I don't think you will be bored for a couple of hours, plus you would not have to rush off the ship.

I've had a couple experiences at Rome airport and, in pure Italian fashion, nothing moves quickly. It has taken me quite a long time to check-in, to clear security, to clear immigration...really longer than most other airports I've been to. Be conservative with your timings.

I've had a couple experiences at Rome airport and, in pure Italian fashion, nothing moves quickly. It has taken me quite a long time to check-in, to clear security, to clear immigration...really longer than most other airports I've been to. Be conservative with your timings.

I've had just the opposite. Quick, efficient transportation in Italy; MUCH easier to enter Italy (with shorter lines) than I ever get entering the USA.

Does TA think the ship docks in downtown Rome or at the airport? Do they know how long it takes to get from the port to the airport (and how long it will take you to get off the ship)? Have you looked into any of these things? If you miss the flight, will the TA pay any fees to book a new flight, plus any increased fares, plus a hotel should you need to spend the night?

Archived