Newbuild Nbr 29 "little" Voyager of the seas

• 4 weeks later...

Another message from the model shipyard;

The main pool area is finally done. It took a bit longer than I tought it would be but making those sunshades over the jacuzzi's, the glass prism, the LED lights, all those railings, painting the passengers... took a bit longer than I tought it would be.

IMG_4545_zps94be4a68.jpg

A few more details in this area will still come but at the very end. light covers and the band. I was 100% I bought those but I cannot seem to find them. Maybe they got tired of waiting and started playing for another ship :D

But also as the model has all the important things on board, so I put her back in the hot tub and see how stable she would be. Despite the little keel already under there the is wobbling quite a bit. It would not be able to cope with too much winds or very sharp turns. So I have to do something about that. Manually pushing some 35° she comes back upright but it takes more than 30 seconds before she stops shaking left and right.

th_IMG_4552_zps65f9023a.jpg

CLICK ON PICTURE this is also a test to see if I can post movies.

As she is a bit heavier: the hull is 2mm deeper in the water than first intended.

IMG_4550_zps264ec499.jpg

IMG_4560_zps37c6de94.jpg

IMG_4570_zps9b41a2d8.jpg

Next to come;

Sports deck. The basketball court is already finished and the mini golf is partially finished. For more progress, welcome back in 2 weeks.

Looks like I will make my target date "end of the year".

John

Edited by modelbuilder

As she is a bit heavier: the hull is 2mm deeper in the water than first intended.

Wow, that statement blows my mind. I can't believe you were actually able to calculate the weight to buoyancy and keep that in mind throughout the process. It's amazing how much realism you get into your models.

OMG, I was thinking the exact same thing!:p

Wow, that statement blows my mind. I can't believe you were actually able to calculate the weight to buoyancy and keep that in mind throughout the process. It's amazing how much realism you get into your models.

So true!!:D:D:D

What beautiful work you do.

I wish my grandfather was still alive. You work is spectacular. He built tall stacks or paddle wheel scale models that were remote control. He also added speakers that would play music. I think he built 8 to 10 all together. I have 2 of them still. His most impressive work was a stage coach he built to scale. His work was great an very detailed, but those ships did not have the detail of a cruise ship.

I'm in tears... don't know how I missed this thread for so long... I can't believe you wrote that RCI uses "professional model builders" for their work -- how could they be any better than this?!?!? AND YOURS REALLY RUN, TOO!!! :eek: Just amazing, I am astonished that this is a hobby and not your line of work.

I've had friends who are model railroaders, but they've never achieved this level of realism and detail... plus, most of their supplies are available commercially, it's just a question of choosing (and paying for) and installing the various parts... you are designing and creating all of your custom elements by hand!

If I am ever fortunate enough to travel to Belgium, I hope you are in a rally where I can see one of your floating works of art in action.

I'm glad to hear that RCI has accommodated you with engineering plans and other special access; it's clear that you have made excellent use of that information! Congratulations on your accomplishments with this "hobby" (?!?!?!) -- I agree that these models could easily be displayed either onboard their namesakes or at RCI corporate headquarters, with an interesting story plaque about your work creating them.

Looking forward to more (and the January "reveal")!!!:D

• 2 weeks later...

Hello every one.

Thanks for the words, very encouraging!

The sportsdeck is done, well almost, becasue the golfhut had a desk and a sunshade; They are made, but the paint is not dry yet so I will add that this evening.

This is what it looks like now,

SAM_1326_zps2755abb3.jpg

SAM_1325_zps7b7ca906.jpg

SAM_1335_zps6993f24b.jpg

it was fun to make.

I also took care of the stability problem. The model has 6volt batteries and 12volt batteries on board. One of the 12V batteries is only there for the weight to get the model nicely on its waterline. So I made some lead plates to put in the model insted of the battery, it is 2 inches lower.

SAM_1329_zpsa9d718d4.jpg

So back to the jacuzzi and a new test, and it is better. the force I feel from the model to come back upright is good, so that problem might be gone.

Test in one week on the lake, then I'll know for sure.

SAM_1318_zps562364d4.jpg

here you can see her black keel under the ship. The plastic you see covering the pools is there to prevent dust going in there, it is hard to clean. But you also see the hight of the model and what part is below the waterline. I have the same problem as her big sister :-)

Oh, I loved the remark of adding a towel and a book on one of the deckchairs, just for the fun, I will do so.

I got some nice details comming up like a couple getting married and a team of crew painting, things like that.

In 2 weeks she'll be finished, I will make some nice pics and post them here.

John

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everybody.

First of all I send you all my warmest wiches for a good new year, with good health and many sea miles.

By sending you the new years greetings, I am also ending this thread about the little Voyager of the seas. I mentioned she would be finished by the end of the year and I did! I have spent meny hours on cleaning the model as she was very dirty from the construction.

The idea was to take the model to the lake in thise last 2 weeks, but the weather was so bad all the time. We had some rain, but worst of all, there was a lot of wind, too much for the model, and cetainly too much for the maiden voyage of my newest model vessel and toy.

The last days I've been building a box where I can transport her and store the model protected.

Anyway this was the story where this

P1020639.jpg

became this;

SAM_1345_zps52ae9180.jpg

it is the same back ground but meanwhile my garden was more completed and my daughters became a bit older too (and cruise fanatics of course)

The whole story can be found here but I took some pictures outside. I was affraid the wind would blow the model over, but that did not happen.

SAM_1347_zps75aa98d7.jpg

Ditto Bob! This thread I consider to be one of the best on Cruise Critic, and have had the honor to follow it from almost the time that it was introduced.

John, before you call a complete end, we would love to see the "sea" trials, once you get the completed cruise ship in the water.

Happy New Year to you, and thanks again for allowing us to tag along!:)

Rick

Edited by rubrrick

hi, the system trew me out this morning, so I was not able to correct the vocabulary and add more pictures;

SAM_1366_zpsc9f158c2.jpg

SAM_1358_zps03bb8ef1.jpg

SAM_1353_zpsd6fa0e79.jpg

SAM_1369_zpsfbef9413.jpg

And this would be me.

just over 5 years to build.

she weighs 40 Kg fully dressed. I am now building a box to store the model

SAM_1340_zps92e1e29c.jpg

here she will be spending most of her time in my basement, but it is protected for dust, and I can transport her more easily.

During cleaning I broke a few things but they are an easy fix. And I need to replace the electric motor on the bow thruster which is not that difficult.

I promissed pictures on the water and a film onthe water, I will keep it of couse, but I am waiting for the perfect weather.

Best reagrds

john

But is was fun, sometimes boring to make the model. Still not sure if the Oasis of the seas will follow. During my cruise on the oasis this september I will decide.

But I enjoyed making the reports here and reading the responses from

John, I have been following this thread for a long time and was amazed how detail you were on the building of the ship it is incredible. I hope you send pictures to RCL I believe they would be impressed with your craftsmanship. What a fantastic work and great pictures along the way.