The little extras...

happyiam

First I have to say we, my DH and I, loved our 1st ever cruise (on Oasis), and have no complaints. RCL had been highly recommended and rightly so. However…I noticed a nice touch that was provided by another cruise line while in port in Nassau. When their passengers returned, from being in port, they were met by staff with cold drinks before they walked back onto their ship. They had no lines for security clearance (or the booze check line), just something cool to drink after a very hot day in port. I thought this would have been a nice added extra for us as we went through the security line.

Has anyone else ever noticed something another cruise line has done, that RCL doesn’t, and that would be nice to have? Or could someone with experience point out the little extra things that RCL does for its passengers that others don’t?

First I have to say we, my DH and I, loved our 1st ever cruise (on Oasis), and have no complaints. RCL had been highly recommended and rightly so. However…I noticed a nice touch that was provided by another cruise line while in port in Nassau. When their passengers returned, from being in port, they were met by staff with cold drinks before they walked back onto their ship. They had no lines for security clearance (or the booze check line), just something cool to drink after a very hot day in port. I thought this would have been a nice added extra for us as we went through the security line.

Has anyone else ever noticed something another cruise line has done, that RCL doesn’t, and that would be nice to have? Or could someone with experience point out the little extra things that RCL does for its passengers that others don’t?

Which cruise line was that?

RCL is going mass market. They can't afford to give out free perks like this. Sorry.

Over the years, the nice touches and free perks have been gradually removed.

At the same time, prices have also come down.

If you want perks, either stay in suites (GS and above) or be Crown & Anchor Diamond and above.

I also saw this on our TA sailing, only once did that happen on our ship. It was a nice touch, the carpet, plants, water stands. Very welcoming, and refreshing. Very much a nice touch. I would rather that then say chocolates on the pillow.. ;) oh way we don't get that anymore..

RCL is going mass market. They can't afford to give out free perks like this. Sorry.

If you want perks, either stay in suites (GS and above) or be Crown & Anchor Diamond and above.

RCI is not going mass market, they are mass market and have been for years. Giving out glasses of water to passengers returning to the ship does not cost the cruise line that much money. I have experienced this on NCL in the past and they are also mass market.

I noticed the same thing in St Marteen. The Princess ship had water as they boarded the ship. (I think they even had hand towels.)

I truly enjoy RCL, but agree there are a couple of perks I think they could toss in - as an example they could look at their sister line Celebrity. In particular the suite benefits are extensive when compared to RCL. I wonder why they don't try to synchronize?

The one area I do wish RCL would look into is the enrichment programs being offered by other lines, including Celebirty. For example the culinary classes. I think they tried it earlier in the year, but stopped them in November. Perhaps if the marketing had been better, it may have had more use. The only notation I saw was a one line in the 2012 / 2013 brochure.

Agree!

LOL

Just cut right to the chase!

Watch out though.......your liable to hurt someone's feelings and get flamed or have your reply erased!

Celebrity had cold towels, drinks on our Constellation TA and Baltics cruise. They, also, set up a cabana decorated with plants and comfy chairs. Very nice to wait in when you are waiting for friends to get off the ship or you are meeting friends who are on another ship in port to visit with.

Tucker in Texas

Celebrity had cold towels, drinks on our Constellation TA and Baltics cruise. They, also, set up a cabana decorated with plants and comfy chairs. Very nice to wait in when you are waiting for friends to get off the ship or you are meeting friends who are on another ship in port to visit with.

Tucker in Texas

My celebrity cruise to the caribbean had this also

Tucker in Texas

We had the same thing on the NCL Epic a couple of weeks ago. Those cold towels and water were quite welcome coming back to the ship!

Princess sets up a very nice gangway... plants and carpets, water, sometimes a pop-up shelter to shield the sun (or rain) if there is a line... and the best part is the cold towels to wipe your face. It is very refreshing and I miss having this on RCI.

are totally contingent on the port, timing, and weather conditions. We have seen all levels of these services at varying times and ships.

And PS..on NCL, the cold water is probably the best thing they offer the entire cruise.....yup, truly dislike that cruise line.

Interesting enough, I was in Cozumel on the Dec. 15 Liberty sailing. We were sharing the dock with the Jewel. Keep in mind both RCI. When passengers returning to the ship were offered a seat in a shaded corded off area with green turf just prior to the gangway. They sat and had a glass of water in cups (who knows maybe tequila). I think they were also offered a wet towels to clean there hands. It was not very hot that day so I don't know what that was all about. I have never seen that done. Now I was on the Jewel in Cozumel Nov 26 and didn't see that service when I returned to the ship.

Another note of interest, when we docked an ambulance met our ship and took someone off - I think a woman(we had heard the Alpha call around 10 pm the previous night). When the Jewel docked shortly after us, an ambulance also met her. I didn't stick around to see if anyone was actually removed from the ship.

I find it strange the 'little extras', like water/sitting areas, chocolates, can happen sometimes with the same cruise line and not all the time. We had chocolates every night left in our stateroom, yet I have read others haven't. Why the differences?

Also we had a drink of juice...with or without alcohol added...given to us when we entered the ship from the gangway. No seapass required. Is this normal or only because it was the 100th sailing of the Oasis?

However…I noticed a nice touch that was provided by another cruise line while in port in Nassau. When their passengers returned, from being in port, they were met by staff with cold drinks before they walked back onto their ship.

That's one of the things I love about Celebrity. They set up a little lounge and give cold drinks and cool towels upon return:

2669845480080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

2548694120080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

On our 3 Dec sailing on Serenade of the seas we were offered water or a very yummy mango punch each dy we returned to the ship in port.

On our Freedom of the Seas cruise back in 2007, it started raining on the way back to the ship. There was a crew member waiting for everyone inside the ship with fresh warm towels to dry off with.

So, it does happen on Royal Caribbean. While these things were a nice touch, I wouldn't use them as reasons to sail or not to sail with a given cruise line. Just my opinion.........

This was an interesting thread as we have sailed the past three cruises with NCL in Europe and thought the water, cool, towel, canopy/shade was standard for the industry. We are going on the Allure in Feb and will take notice. Water and just welcoming the passengers back to the ship with a cool towel, a smile, and a seat is what we call "giving the customer more than they expected = value". Hmm surprised RCCL doesn't have this as a standard also. JanO

Archived