Has anyone out there used a neti pot on board ship?

JudithLynne

Does anyone out there use a neti pot? I have found that it is one of the best things for managing my chronic sinusitis. I have never used it on board, but during the last few cruises that we have taken I have acquired major sinus infections. I would like to take my neti pot on our next cruise and use it daily, but am not sure how to handle the water situation. I use distilled at home. I would be leery of using tap water.

I am hoping that someone who has used a neti pot on ship board may have a suggestion for me. Thanks so much….

Judith

Does anyone out there use a neti pot? I have found that it is one of the best things for managing my chronic sinusitis. I have never used it on board, but during the last few cruises that we have taken I have acquired major sinus infections. I would like to take my neti pot on our next cruise and use it daily, but am not sure how to handle the water situation. I use distilled at home. I would be leery of using tap water.

I am hoping that someone who has used a neti pot on ship board may have a suggestion for me. Thanks so much….

Judith

I have found that the Neti pot works fine with regular tap water (not distilled water). The only thing about shipboard water is that it has a higher chlorine and salt content than you would find at home. If that is bothersome to you (depends on how long the cruise lasts), I would just use regular bottled water--I usually try to take a case of it onboard to drink anyway or get some at one of the ports you are at.

I aways take the plastic squeeze type irrigator and use warm tap water and salt. We have very clean water here, so have never used distilled. Ship's water should be good also since they produce it.

I do admit that the link about the amoeba was disturbing. But if I do not use my irrigator daily, I also run the risk of getting a sinus infection. It is my best defense against catching common ailments - the salt water reduces the viral load and keeps the mucus membranes moist.

I use the neti pot with water and salt.

It came with a packet to dissolve into the water so when I used up the packet I just put in salt which reduces inflamation.

I have never heard of the need to use special water with it!

After reading the NPR article I may never use it again!!!

I use tap water at home.....I'd use tap water on the ship....with salt! Salt water will flush your sinuses quite well!

You can use tap water, but all recent deaths from amoeba have been linked back to neti pots filled with tap water and not distilled water. Its enough to scare me into using the sterilized stuff!

You can use tap water, but all recent deaths from amoeba have been linked back to neti pots filled with tap water and not distilled water. Its enough to scare me into using the sterilized stuff!

I agree. I will not use tap water for my neti pot. In fact the one I have says to use bottled or distilled water. I don't think it's worth the risk to use tap water.

YOu can use the neti-pot with the distilled water and you aren't at risk. My daughter doesn't go anywhere without the neti-pot. Our TA is the one that got her to try it and he swears by it and takes it on every one of his numerous cruises. Just have them get the distilled water for you as the poster above suggested. My daughter just brings along the packets.

I have had 5 sinus surgeries over a 20 year period and have tried everything. The neti pot seems to work best for me but it is much easier to use at home because you need distilled water (very important). I also warm the water before using and am meticulous about cleaning the neti pot after use. I have also used the NeilMed sinus powder, but you still need distilled water. I plan to take a few bottles of saline nose spray from the pharmacy for my cruise next week as I don't want to deal with distilled water or the heating and cleaning regimen. I will use

the spray at least twice a day and I expect that to pretty much do the same thing the neti pot does. Good luck.

• 4 months later...
YOu can use the neti-pot with the distilled water and you aren't at risk. My daughter doesn't go anywhere without the neti-pot. Our TA is the one that got her to try it and he swears by it and takes it on every one of his numerous cruises. Just have them get the distilled water for you as the poster above suggested. My daughter just brings along the packets.

After almost 2 years of using tap water in my neti pot at home with no ill effects, I started using distilled water after reading about the amoeba.

Previously, I have also used my neti pot on cruise ships with their tap water with no problem.

Now I am considering using distilled water when I cruise as well, but I usually heat my distilled water a bit in the microwave before using my neti pot at home (otherwise, the water at room temperature feels too cold in my nose.).

With no microwaves in the cabin, my question is: For those using distilled water in your neti pot when you cruise, are you just using the water at room temp?

Is it still effective (and comfortable) at room temp?

After almost 2 years of using tap water in my neti pot at home with no ill effects, I started using distilled water after reading about the amoeba.

Previously, I have also used my neti pot on cruise ships with their tap water with no problem.

Now I am considering using distilled water when I cruise as well, but I usually heat my distilled water a bit in the microwave before using my neti pot at home (otherwise, the water at room temperature feels too cold in my nose.).

With no microwaves in the cabin, my question is: For those using distilled water in your neti pot when you cruise, are you just using the water at room temp?

Is it still effective (and comfortable) at room temp?

My suggestion for that: Put the bottle in a bathroom sink half full of warm/hot water until it is the temp that you like.

• 2 weeks later...

My sister used her squeeze bottle irrigator on our last cruise and we just asked our steward to bring us some distilled water - it came in a gallon size and was perfect. I would imagine that other cruise lines provide it as well, but am not sure. Hope that helps!

Arm & Hammer has a saline solution in purified water compressed in a little can that works just like a netti pot without the hassle of dealing with distilled water. Super portable--the can is about 5" tall and lasts a couple of weeks.

• 3 months later...

Any new neti pot experiences on cruise ships?

DH and I have gone back to using regular tap water in our neti pots at home since the amoeba scare. It was just too much, heating bottled distilled water in the microwave etc.

Plus, we had been using tap for almost 2 years before hearing of the amoeba. My Dad--a long time yoga participant--has been rinsing his nasal passages with Southern New Jersey tap water for over 40 years without incident.

I used tap water for years - mixed it with sea salt and used a plastic oral syringe to spray salt water into the nostrils (neti pot did nothing for me...just a passive water flow that couldn't get through my congested sinuses). Then my ENT recommended NeilMed sinus rinse, and I still use it occasionally, also with tap water. I finally had sinus surgery (septoplasty/turbinectomy) in June, which has helped tremendously. So I probably won't bother bringing the sinus rinse bottle on my cruise, but if I did, I'd just use it with tap water - on a cruise ship, it's safer/cleaner than on land anyway. I read the article about the amoeba, and it's worth noting that both victims were from Louisiana - just because one water source became contaminated (in a state that's in dire need of upgrading their water infrastructure) doesn't mean tap water everywhere is unsafe.

I use the neilmed on odd occassions and use boiled water and salt that has cooled - the option on a cruise would be to ask at the cafe's for a mug of boiled water - shouldn't be a problem. Then just let cool to temperature you desire.

The nasal sprays under pressure from the pharmacies are ok but work out expensive but could be another option for cruising.

Just this past week, our local news did a special story about doctors warning not to ever use tap water for netti pots. It talked about getting a fatal brain eating disease from tap water and said to only use distiller water for netti pots.

Archived