New Prinsendam! (Sorta)

bepsf

For folks who love Prinsendam, nee: Royal Viking Sun

Interesting news of a pair of new ships ordered by Viking Ocean Cruises - a new division of Viking River Cruises:

Thanks Brian - this looks very interesting indeed :D Am I correct, it's the same company (or a offshoot of) of the old company that the Prinsendam was originally with?

If so, these could be really nice sailings! Thanks:)

They are reincarnating Royal Viking Line? :confused:

Viking River Cruises have been around for a while Judy, I was just wondering if they were a subsidiary of the original line? If so, this could be a nice alternative. Their river cruises have a very good reputation:D

Interesting news of a pair of new ships ordered by Viking Ocean Cruises - a new division of Viking River Cruises:

This if the size of ship (900 px) we need instead of the floating 'townships'

Viking River Cruises have been around for a while Judy, I was just wondering if they were a subsidiary of the original line? If so, this could be a nice alternative. Their river cruises have a very good reputation:D

Brian, thank you for the link. I most certainly am intrigued.

I loved my cruise on Royal Viking, and since some of the same people are involved in this venture, I could get interested.

If Wikipedia can be trusted, it is not the same company, although one of the founders was a former CEO of Royal Viking. "Viking River Cruises, a global corporation based in the United States, was established in 1997 by a Scandinavian and Dutch consortium with the purchase of four Russian ships... In the mid-1990s the company’s cofounder and chairman, Torstein Hagen, took a river cruise through Russia and decided to create a river cruising company so that others could enjoy similar experiences. Educated at Norwegian Institute of Technology and Harvard Business School, Mr. Hagen was formerly CEO of Royal Viking Line, and has also served on the boards of Holland America Line and Kloster Cruise Ltd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_River_Cruises

Brian, thank you for the link. I most certainly am intrigued.

I loved my cruise on Royal Viking, and since some of the same people are involved in this venture, I could get interested.

Certainly would be of interest to Mrs Banjo & myself! We both love the size of Prinsendam. Thanks for posting the link!

There is no way I would want to be on one of those ships on a rough ocean ride. It would be like riding a tender. You certain would have to be able to handle rocky ride. IMO

not necessarily at all. If they are configured as the Prinsendam (for example), the ride is no rougher - in fact - I found it smoother on the Prinsendam in rough seas than the NA. JMO though. The Prinsedam is not shaped like the other ships in the HAL fleet. She literally cuts through the waves. She was built to do the ocean. If these new ships are built the same way, the seas would not be an issue IMO:)

if it is built like the river boat we have been on (Uniworld), it looks nothing like the Prinsendam. If that ship is built to cruise on both, OMG. Bring the green apples and seasick pills most will need them.

Not sure if they could call it Royal Viking Line as IIRC Cunard bought the name when they bought the Royal Viking Sun. I assume the name passed into Carnival Corporation ownership when they bought Cunard. If they wanted to call it Royal Viking Line I would guess they would have to buy the name of its current owner (Cunard/Carnival)

However it does sound like they want to build a similar product which could be a good thing if they can pull it off. And if they can't pull it off the new build could be a good replacement for Prinsendam which will be in the high 20's years old by the time these ship are delivered (or even a companion!):rolleyes:

That's what it looks like to me -

Viking Ocean Line has a nice ring to it as well...

Our friend MaryEllen forwarded another article on this to me today with more information and further comparison info:

http://www.latecruisenews.com/2011/12/26/viking-ocean-cruises-orders-two-888-guest-luxury-cruise-ships-%E2%80%93-other-cruise-news-passat-revives-the-delphin-sagas-plans-for-quest-for-adventure/

Incidentally: The yard building these ships is the same one that built HAL's old N-Class - Noordam (3) and Nieuw Amsterdam (3) - as well as Queen Mary 2, Normandie and France/Norway.

if it is built like the river boat we have been on (Uniworld), it looks nothing like the Prinsendam. If that ship is built to cruise on both, OMG. Bring the green apples and seasick pills most will need them.

It won't be - Read the article posted above...

That's what it looks like to me -

Viking Ocean Line has a nice ring to it as well...

Our friend MaryEllen forwarded another article on this to me today with more information and further comparison info:

http://www.latecruisenews.com/2011/12/26/viking-ocean-cruises-orders-two-888-guest-luxury-cruise-ships-%E2%80%93-other-cruise-news-passat-revives-the-delphin-sagas-plans-for-quest-for-adventure/

Incidentally: The yard building these ships is the same one that built HAL's old N-Class - Noordam (3) and Nieuw Amsterdam (3) - as well as Queen Mary 2, Normandie and France/Norway.

Thanks Brian!

Quote from the article: Another interesting point was raised by Richard Marnell, Viking’s senior vice president of marketing, when he told Travel Weekly last week that “Mr Hagen feels the ocean vessels built of late have become too large and that they’re losing out on the destination.”

This is a glimmer of hope. Thank you, Brian for the links. This news is a good way to start 2012. I hope that HAL's Marketing climbs aboard this small-ship idea. If not, we may go a-Viking, as they used to call it.

Mrs M

...we may go a-Viking, as they used to call it.

Mrs M

Indeed - I'm looking forward to seeing how this new line shapes up as well...

...have already been looking at Danube River cruises w/ Viking for '13 or '14 - perhaps with a return to the States aboard QM2.

Thanks for posting, Brian. Sounds very interesting indeed. Nothing could beat the gracious service of Royal Viking Line & Skald Club. Their food was excellent & I very much enjoyed their One Seating Dining. That's one of the reasons I would not consider the Prinsendam. Hal's service nowhere compares to what Royal Viking was.

That's one of the reasons I would not consider the Prinsendam. Hal's service nowhere compares to what Royal Viking was.

However, it's much, much closer than the rest of the HAL ships are.

The service on the Prinsendam is truly what HAL used to be in the glory days.

That's not how it would be at all. There's a world of difference between a river boat and an ocean-going ship. The hulls are nothing alike.

Go back and re-read the articles more slowly.

If they run their cruise ships as well as they operate the river cruises we will be future customers. It will be interesting to see how they price their cruises (mass market or ultra luxury pricing) and whether they will include excursions in the price of the cruise similar to what they do on the river boats.

Hank

Archived