Simple Question re: Disembarking

Zach1213

Good Morning from a cruise newb.

I'll be going on my first cruise in February with Royal Caribbean on Liberty to/from Fort Lauderdale. The cruise is set to dock back in Fort Lauderdale at 7am and our flight has just been pushed back to 1:10pm.

So, obviously, I'm not worried about cutting it too close...rather, quite the opposite. I understand you can either be in the first group to leave the ship by hauling your own luggage, or you can wait for your assigned departure time to leave the ship.

While we can haul our own luggage and be off first, I don't fancy a 4-5 hour period of time just sitting at FLL airport (though sitting on the ship may not be any better)...if we feel like waiting for our time to leave, how is that determined - by departure time of your flight?

Thanks in advance!

I'll be going on my first cruise in February with Royal Caribbean on Liberty to/from Fort Lauderdale. The cruise is set to dock back in Fort Lauderdale at 7am and our flight has just been pushed back to 1:10pm.

So, obviously, I'm not worried about cutting it too close...rather, quite the opposite. I understand you can either be in the first group to leave the ship by hauling your own luggage, or you can wait for your assigned departure time to leave the ship.

While we can haul our own luggage and be off first, I don't fancy a 4-5 hour period of time just sitting at FLL airport (though sitting on the ship may not be any better)...if we feel like waiting for our time to leave, how is that determined - by departure time of your flight?

Thanks in advance!

I don't think anyone really knows how your departure number is assigned, but it is in groups, and sections of the ship, so your flight time is not taken into account. You can ask for an early time, if you need it. You can leave the ship anytime "AFTER" your number is called but not before. Everyone is off by 10:00 (or somethime close to that). Nothing is open, except places to eat. Do take your time, have a nice relaxing breakfast, and start you final day relaxed.

I don't think anyone really knows how your departure number is assigned, but it is in groups, and sections of the ship, so your flight time is not taken into account. You can ask for an early time, if you need it. You can leave the ship anytime "AFTER" your number is called but not before. Everyone is off by 10:00 (or somethime close to that). Nothing is open, except places to eat. Do take your time, have a nice relaxing breakfast, and start you final day relaxed.

Flight times are taken into account when you fill out the departure form that the cruiseline gives you midweek. Anytime we have had a very early flight, we are in the one of the first groups off. When we were driving home, we had a later debarking time.

Your flight time is noted but as above it is also by area. Suites and Diamond Plus first off (1-12). Then they go by their design. You can request a time about mid-week. Go to Front Desk and ask for #10 ect. They do get you off quickly. Customs is another matter some times there are lots of agents and other times not many. This is where thing might get slow. Then head to airport.

Thanks in advance!

Mid-way through your cruise you will receive, in your cabin, a form to fill out indicating your method of departure; i.e. are you an independent traveler (no air), do you want to do self debarkation (if it is offered), do you have a flight (you will have to give them flight number and time of departure as this determines your luggage tag color/number), do you have a post cruise hotel package with RCI, etc.

On the Departure Form that you will receive the day before debarakation listing approx. times of departure by either tag color or number, it will also indicate where your designated area is to wait until your group is called. If you find that the tags you received are making you depart too early, then go to Guest Services and exchange them for the last color/number.

Just remember, that breakfast is only served until 8:30AM and you must be out of your cabin by 8AM. Enjoy your first cruise, which I hope will be the start to many more.:)

Also last morning breakfast in MDR is an abreviated menu and they seat people together filling up large tables as they come in. Still it is a nice quiet place even after serving is done and they have always had self serve coffee.

Actually, you can use Luggage Valet in FLL and that makes it even easier. You cannot check your luggage inside until 2 hours before your flight time and there is no good place to wait outside the secure area (i.e. you will see people sitting all over the floor). With LV, you won't even have to check in as you will already have your boarding pass. I believe the charge is $20 per person and your flight must be after 1130 AM.

You can kick back.....They want you out of your cabin by, usually 8am. so pack the night before, put your bags out. As a newbie (your words) remember to pack clothes for the next day, any meds you will need..keep them!

Get up, kick back, have a nice breakfast.....then have an extra cup of coffee.

People lose all track of sanity on disembark day. they JAM the elevators, they JAM the stairwells, the jam the disembarkation deck.....despite being told to NOT JAM things up.

No matter when your color or number is called, relax, you can wait till much of the crowd has left the ship and cleared customs and Immigration and then get off, get through customs and then catch a ride to the airport.

Did I mention most folks act like fools and JAM up everything??

Never understood why you have a relaxed cruise then cannot wait to STRESS yourself out trying to get off the ship.

Oh yeah, Bon Voyage!!!!

People lose all track of sanity on disembark day. they JAM the elevators, they JAM the stairwells, the jam the disembarkation deck.....despite being told to NOT JAM things up.

No matter when your color or number is called, relax, you can wait till much of the crowd has left the ship and cleared customs and Immigration and then get off, get through customs and then catch a ride to the airport.

Did I mention most folks act like fools and JAM up everything??

Never understood why you have a relaxed cruise then cannot wait to STRESS yourself out trying to get off the ship.

It's the same with getting on & off planes. People rush to be the first on the plane. Why? :confused: Do they enjoy sitting in those little seats (I always fly economy/coach) for an extra 10-15 minutes? I always aim to one of the last ones on the plane. I'm in the departure lounge early but don't jump up as soon as I'm called.

When getting off the plane, it's the same thing. :eek: As soon as the plane lands, before the seatbelt sign is off, people are out of their seats, rummaging in the overhead lockers. I wait until the plane is nearly empty & then take a leisurely stroll to the baggage carousel where amazingly :rolleyes: those who were first off the plane are still waiting for their luggage.

Now a cruise is a little different. I can understand wanting to get onboard as soon as possible but the cattle stampede as disembarkation never ceases to amaze me.:eek: Why the rush unless you have a tight schedule to catch a flight?:confused:

It's the same with getting on & off planes. People rush to be the first on the plane. Why? :confused: Do they enjoy sitting in those little seats (I always fly economy/coach) for an extra 10-15 minutes? I always aim to one of the last ones on the plane. I'm in the departure lounge early but don't jump up as soon as I'm called.

When getting off the plane, it's the same thing. :eek: As soon as the plane lands, before the seatbelt sign is off, people are out of their seats, rummaging in the overhead lockers. I wait until the plane is nearly empty & then take a leisurely stroll to the baggage carousel where amazingly :rolleyes: those who were first off the plane are still waiting for their luggage.

Now a cruise is a little different. I can understand wanting to get onboard as soon as possible but the cattle stampede as disembarkation never ceases to amaze me.:eek: Why the rush unless you have a tight schedule to catch a flight?:confused:

Well said sparky I was just going to say the same thing!!!!

Just off ExOS on 12/11/11 and they don't do it this way. We never received a form to determine if we had flights etc. We were just given numbered tags. As when we boarded, DH and I had different tags from the other two couples travelling with us, when I went to CS to try and get us all the same number we were told you cannot change. THe only way we could disembark together was if we all did self-debark. Yeah right, like this was an option from a 10 night cruise we drove too (i.e. we all had lots of luggage;)), so we stuck with our assigned numbers and then had to find each other in the terminal to catch our ride back to the cars - minor pain in the behind, but not to horrible:p

It's the same with getting on & off planes. People rush to be the first on the plane. Why? :confused: Do they enjoy sitting in those little seats (I always fly economy/coach) for an extra 10-15 minutes? I always aim to one of the last ones on the plane. I'm in the departure lounge early but don't jump up as soon as I'm called....

Agree with most of your comments, but the reason we rush to get on a plane is that unless you're one of the first ones on the plane, there's no room left in the overhead bin for your carryon bag. With most airlines charging for even the 1st checked bag and not enforcing the "one carryon" rule, it's a madhouse. We tried upgrading to "Economy Plus" which is usually in the front of the plane, but it's even worse as people in the back board first and have learned to stash their bags in one of the front overhead compartments. I'd rather sit in my seat for an extra 10-15 minutes than have to sit with my feet fighting with my carryon bag for the whole trip!

Thanks to everyone. I'm all for having a relaxing last day - grab some breakfast a be lazy. We'll be packing fairly light so luggage valet isn't really worth the money to us.

truffles2: I've checked in for flights up to 3.5 hours before with no issues re: checked luggage...is the 2 hour rule an FLL thing? I've never heard of that before and I pretty much live in airplanes for work.

Thanks to everyone. I'm all for having a relaxing last day - grab some breakfast a be lazy. We'll be packing fairly light so luggage valet isn't really worth the money to us.

truffles2: I've checked in for flights up to 3.5 hours before with no issues re: checked luggage...is the 2 hour rule an FLL thing? I've never heard of that before and I pretty much live in airplanes for work.

Ft. Lauderdale is the only airport I have ever flown out of that had a 2 hour rule and they were very strict about it! It is the worse airport, no place to sit prior to going through security and nothing to do. And very uncomfortable seats in the gate area. Plus, some of the surliest TSA agents ever! Even though we had checked our bags at the 2 hour mark, they would not let us go through security until we were 90 minutes away from the flight.

If we have a late flight, we will usually stay on the ship as long as possible. I like not having to rush and get caught up in the madness that is disembarkation. Plus, it is much more comfortable to sit around the ship than in an airport.:D

Sherri:)

Just off ExOS on 12/11/11 and they don't do it this way. We never received a form to determine if we had flights etc. We were just given numbered tags. As when we boarded, DH and I had different tags from the other two couples travelling with us, when I went to CS to try and get us all the same number we were told you cannot change. THe only way we could disembark together was if we all did self-debark. Yeah right, like this was an option from a 10 night cruise we drove too (i.e. we all had lots of luggage;)), so we stuck with our assigned numbers and then had to find each other in the terminal to catch our ride back to the cars - minor pain in the behind, but not to horrible:p

I've noticed on our last three cruises, Jewel, Freedom & Navigator, that we did not get any form either. I asked the concierge who said they get your departure information from the on-line checkin.

Ft. Lauderdale is the only airport I have ever flown out of that had a 2 hour rule and they were very strict about it! It is the worse airport, no place to sit prior to going through security and nothing to do. And very uncomfortable seats in the gate area. Plus, some of the surliest TSA agents ever! Even though we had checked our bags at the 2 hour mark, they would not let us go through security until we were 90 minutes away from the flight.

If we have a late flight, we will usually stay on the ship as long as possible. I like not having to rush and get caught up in the madness that is disembarkation. Plus, it is much more comfortable to sit around the ship than in an airport.:D

Interesting. I just checked the American Airlines website regarding FLL Airport and it says nothing about the 2 hour rule. Seems mean of them to leave that little detail out!

I see the question has been pretty well answered already. FLL makes up the rules as they go I guess. I hate leaving from there. Their airport is not equipped to handle the passenger load when 7-8 ships are in port. Everything Sherri said is true.

I see the question has been pretty well answered already. FLL makes up the rules as they go I guess. I hate leaving from there. Their airport is not equipped to handle the passenger load when 7-8 ships are in port. Everything Sherri said is true.

Ran into this with Airtran @ MCO (Orlando) in 2008 - first and only time:confused: We usually go in and out of FLL when sailing out of Miami and usually get their much earlier than necessary and try to hop on an earlier flight;)

Ft. Lauderdale is the only airport I have ever flown out of that had a 2 hour rule and they were very strict about it! It is the worse airport, no place to sit prior to going through security and nothing to do. And very uncomfortable seats in the gate area. Plus, some of the surliest TSA agents ever!

I'll fly out of FLL every day of the week and twice on Sunday if it keeps me out of Miami International! That is by far the worst airport with the nastiest people working in it on the face of the Earth.

You could have waited to go with the couple that had the later cruise disembarkation number...

Archived