What's the deal with Johnny Rockets?

We don't have JR's here in Australia, but I was looking at their menu......OMG! Do they have all sorts of shakes on the ship that I just read about? Yummo......Hurry up December:p

I think only chocolate and vanilla. DH was terribly disappointed since he is a chocoholic and they only have vanilla ice cream, so the chocolate shake was not very chocolatey.

I speak from an Asian perspective.

I've never tried Johnny Rockets. The RCI ships I've sailed on didn't have them. But I'm going on the Voyager next year and I think Johnny Rockets is an option.

Question - what's the draw? I thought burgers are often available at various places, including windjammer.

Why is Johnny Rockets so successful? (Or just an American thing?)

It's not just the burgers (which I find are greasy) but the 60's diner deco and the singing and dancing of the wait staff.

Yes, you can get burgers and fries elsewhere on the ship without any extra fee.

People like getting unlimited fries and onion rings while waiting for their burgers. Also, there are the milk shakes (extra charge) and the sundae's (no extra charge).

RCL has once again reinstated at fee for Johonny Rockets with no available coupon to waive the fee.

MARAPRINCE

I speak from an Asian perspective.

I've never tried Johnny Rockets. The RCI ships I've sailed on didn't have them. But I'm going on the Voyager next year and I think Johnny Rockets is an option.

Question - what's the draw? I thought burgers are often available at various places, including windjammer.

Why is Johnny Rockets so successful? (Or just an American thing?)

I'll start by saying I have a Johnny Rocket's land based restaurant in my neighborhood. Its good, but you are going primarily for the atsmosphere. The staff frequently plays music and dances around. It can be fun. The burgers and fries are good, but nothing special. They do charge extra for the milkshakes, but a cold milkshake a on a hot cruise ship is good.

Having been to JR's many times, I took heat for saying the burgers were the same ones they served in the Windjammer when I was on Majesty. I took a lot of heat for that remark in 2008. I stand by that 100% at least for that time on that ship. The difference in JRs is you don't have to go one place to pick up the patty, another to get the bun and topics, they bring it to you. My next Johnny Rocket's was 2008 on Freedom and it was better. Having one locally I probably wouldn't go to it on the ship except for the fact that its fun and RC use to give you coupons to waive the $3.95 cover charge for Crown and Anchor members. They changed the coupon from a free cover, to a buy one get one milkshake, which is the same value, but my wife and I both are weight loss surgery patients and we can't drink two whole milkshakes.

And just for contrast... I can't stand Five Guys burgers. Way overpriced and not that great. Cheeburger Cheeburger is my favorite (and has excellent shakes), Red Robin comes in next. Johnny Rocket's still doesn't do anything for me though.

I used to love Red Robin, but that was before I looked at the calories and fat in their meals. O....M....G!!!

We will go to JR's if my DH is really wanting a burger/fries/milkshake experience. The fries are usually quite good, and he loves the shakes. Me, I'll eat anything, so JR's doesn't have that much of an appeal for me.

By the way, go to a local JR's landside and see what that meal will cost you. :eek:

Funny, we have one relatively close at the Mall of America (which we visit about once a month) and we have never eaten there. We have stopped at looked at menu (and prices) and decided "yuck, a little bit of meat with greasy carbs (fries, onion rings, bun), no vegies and sugary drinks (soda, milkshakes). Only on a cruise where our normal healthy eating (we try anyway) goes out the window might we try it - and for a lot less extra cost. That said we understand the room service Bistro Burger is another good alternative for a burger.

As for ketchup safety... I worry a LOT more about the squeeze bottles not getting disinfected on the outside between customers. Most people eat fries, rings and burgers with hands (sometimes licking fingers in process) who then grab the squeeze bottles. Wonderful way to spread Noro. :eek: I always wrap condiment bottles with a napkin when using.

You're paying for the brand.

I like the atmosphere - the cute 50s-style diner with the dancing waitors.

The $4.95 cover charge includes whatever you want to eat - hamburgers, hot dogs, fries, onion rings, etc. You can get as much as you want.

Drinks are not included. You can get sodas with your Coke card or pay out of pocket. And milkshakes are an additional cost.

However, you can go into the restaurant and tell them you just want milkshakes, and they'll bring you French fries or onion rings and you won't be charged the $4.95 cover charge - just the cost of the milkshakes.

The C&A coupon books have 2 for 1 milkshake coupons in them.

Hey, that is a good idea. I like getting a milkshake and it would be nice to get some onion rings with it. I really could care less for their well done burgers.

BTW, to the other posters who like 5 guys, if you have a Smashburger near you, you need to give them a try. I think they are head and shoulders above ther other chain higher end burger joints.

I ate at Johnny Rockets on the Majesty of the Seas two years ago and it had to be one of the best burger and fries I ever ate and I've had my fair share. I had never eaten at one before until then. After my return home, I went to another Johnny Rockets at Six Flags and it was one of the worst burgers I've ever had. I figured the difference was that RCCL makes sure they are putting out a great product and Six Flags was feeding hundreds of people per hour. I will spend the extra money to eat at Johnny Rockets again in March on my next sailing and hopefully it will live up to my first experience. If so, I'll likely dine there more than once on my sailing....

We always get a coupon for buy one, get one shake free....but not for the cover charge..

11/08 Enchantment

02/09 Celebrity Century

06/09 Mariner

08/09 Majesty

09/09 Radiance

10/09 Enchantment

11/09 Majesty

01/10 Monarch

01/10 Liberty

02/10 Independence

05/10 Liberty

05/10 Oasis

07/10 Majesty

09/10 Mariner

09/10 Freedom

10/10 Grandeur

10/10 Majesty

10/10 Majesty (B2B)

10/10 Explorer

11/10 Navigator

01/11 Allure

04/11 Navigator

09/11 Oasis

10/11 Serenade

10/11 Celebrity Millenium

10/11 Liberty (transatlantic)

01/12 Jewel

01/12 Jewel (B2B)

02/12 Voyager

05/12 Rhapsody (Alaska)

09/12 Vision (Norway)

09/12 Brilliance (transatlantic)

10/12 Oasis

11/12 Brilliance

01/13 Adventure

03/13 Vision (Panama Canal)

04/13 Vision (Panama Canal)

05/13 Radiance (Hawaii)

With all that you I hope you are getting more than BOGO Free. :)

Thanks everyone that posted. I have never had JR's, but after these post, the DW and I will spend the $10 and try it. We are going on a 12 nighter, so we should have some time to make it in. Thanks Again.

BTW, to the other posters who like 5 guys, if you have a Smashburger near you, you need to give them a try. I think they are head and shoulders above ther other chain higher end burger joints.

I agree, I've tried just about all of these type of burger joints and so far Smash Burgers has been my favorite with Mooya a close second. Love the sweet potato fries and root beers in a frosted mug at Smash.

okay. you win. not even 5 guys fries can compete against InNOut...

They just opened those up all over the DFW area last year with people waiting in line for hours and hours. I was damn they must be really really good. Sadly after waiting a couple of months for the lines to dye down we went and tried them, I don't see the hype at all. Even got a animal style. Have tried them once more since then and again I didn't get it. I prefer Burger King to In N Out.

I haven't read all the posts but on Voyager in September I got talked in to going to Johnny Rocket's by my daughter. I ended up having cheese on toast, we were the only people in there and I just don't understand the fascination of having to pay extra to eat junk food when there was so many options for good quality food in various restaurants without having to pay extra.

I haven't read all the posts but on Voyager in September I got talked in to going to Johnny Rocket's by my daughter. I ended up having cheese on toast, we were the only people in there and I just don't understand the fascination of having to pay extra to eat junk food when there was so many options for good quality food in various restaurants without having to pay extra.

Thanks everyone that posted. I have never had JR's, but after these post, the DW and I will spend the $10 and try it. We are going on a 12 nighter, so we should have some time to make it in. Thanks Again.

Good choice. The Cruise ships Johnny Rockets is a fun upbeat place to enjoy a meal. Save room for the apple pie ala mode.

Johnny Rockets is pretty good, but way overpriced IMHO. The $5 cover charge is very reasonable. Last time I ate at JR, my total with tip was $14!!! As far as the best burger, Inn-n-Out wins hands down. Then Five Guys....just my 2 cents

Burger King??? Is that even real beef? :D:D:D

Don't know, don't care. I stopped eating Burger King type fast food 5 or 6 years ago but they were my favorite when I still indulged. I only tried In N Out to see what all the fuss was about after hearing about them daily on the news here and seeing all the lines around the blocks. I expected an amazing burger, I got a fast food burger that wasn't close to the best that I had tasted.

Archived