Pre & Post cruise Hotels Venice and Barcelona

belnic

My husband and I are doing a back to back cruise on the Mariner departing Venice and finishing in Barcelona in Sept....would like some help choosing pre and post hotels that are very convenient for siteseeing. Looking forward to some inspiration

Hello belnic: You should be able to get lots of response to this question if you post on the "ports of call" sections of CC. Before posting your own query, you might want to "search" in Italy and Spain threads for already-posted suggestions. Good luck.

(We will probably pre-cruise at the Westin Europa in Venice, using Starwood points.)

We have stayed at the Molino Stucky Hilton twice for per-cruise. While I can't say it is particularly convenient for sight seeing, it is an extremely nice hotel. If you have Hilton honors points, even better. It is a Also easy to get to the ship from there. They are only one stop apart on the water bus line.

Depending on how many days you'll be in Barcelona you might want to consider checking VRBO.com (vacation rentals by owner). We stayed at the apartment below:

http://www.vrbo.com/98594

http://www.acomodis.com/en/111/apartments/104/pom_dor.aspx

and really loved it. My review is the the one signed USNA. There are also smaller and larger units available depending on how many of you there are; but many VRBO properties do require a 3 night stay. Also, I fully understand self catering apartments like this are not everyone's cup of tea. The price was about 125 euros/night for this two bedroom apartment. Not elegant or very upscale, but IMHO a great way to view the city.

Thanks to all who has given recommendations, will check all out on the web...must admit Travelcat2 Hotel Duquesta De Cardona seems fabulous as we both love to be near water and Marinas.

• 4 weeks later...

We stayed at the Hotel Montecarlo in Barcelona this past summer. It was rated #1 out of 533 hotels in Barcelona on Trip Advisor. I see that it has slipped to the #2 position, but I am sure it goes back and forth.

It is a small boutique hotel located close to the port and right on La Rambla. The rooms are great and the staff is very helpful. They gave us great restaruant recommendations within walking distance. One was a tapas restaurant and another was in the gothic section. Perfect location for sightseeing during the day. It's across from La Buceria and a short walk to Plaza Catalunya Square where you can get the hop on hop off bus.

We were in Barcelona in May of last year and stayed at Hoel 1898. Great location on La Ramblas and the price for the location was great. Just across the street from La Meridian and much cheaper. We had a great room with a small balcony overlooking la Rambla and just down the street from a Starbucks and the Boquira not sure of the spelling. I will have to get back to you with the Hotel in Venice. Great hotel with a balcony overlooking the canal and a great location can walk to everything and not a bad price for Venice. I actually found it on this website and sent an email and heard right back. Great staff and breakfast included in the price and right out the door is the public transportation. The hotel in Venice was the Palazzo Sant Angelo Venezia. Great place and especially for the location and the price.

Kandy

Archived