Babies in the Dining Room and Theater?

My husband and I are veteran cruisers but new to parenthood. We are ready to start planning our first vacation with our new baby, but are unsure as to where to go. As much as we love to cruise, we naturally are drawn to finding a cruise for our vacation, but I have a few questions in my mind as to whether or not it would be our best bet.

Could someone please fill me in on how well babies seem to fit in in the dining room and the theater. Do they even allow babies to accompany their parents to the theater? And, is the wait staff as accomadating to babies as they are to adult cruisers?

We have only ever cruised on Royal Caribbean, but are willing to look elsewhere if it would be best for our baby (although, I can't imagine a better cruiseline!)

FYI: Our baby will be about 8 or 9 months old when we will most likely be traveling.

Definitely keep the parent code in mind no matter where you are: if your baby, toddler, kid starts to fuss, remove them immediately so they aren't disturbing others.

Many of the crew members have families, and often small children, back home. So they will often dote on your little ones. When my daughter was little (she was 23 months on her first cruise, 3 on her second), the Carnival waiters would often swoop her up whenever they were going to do one of their "parades." She loved the attention. When she was three, and the waitstaff was going to serenade the anniversary couple at the next day, they asked my girl to help them out.

Just remember though, many little ones get scared at crowds or loud noises, including music. So sit at the back of the room for the performances so you can make a quick exit if possible. If your kid is crying, that may mean he or she isn't a happy camper. Just be prepared to skip the entertainment if that's the case.

I think that babies probably get no personal enjoyment from a cruise and likely a doting aunt or grandparent would love to have the child for a week and give the parents a restful vacation. That said, as a parent, I can understand wanting my baby to be with us. But, really, instead of a cruise, I'd rent a place for a week in Aruba, St. Maarten or another island and take the baby.

But, and this is a big BUT, if you cruise,please understand that a baby or children can be very disruptive to others who want to have an enjoyable vacation as well. For that reason, I'd look to Disney Lines who are accustomed to babies and children. And, like others have said, leave activities when your child starts to fuss.

You might want to keep in mind that some lines and itineraries have minimum ages of at least 1 year. As to taking babies to dining rooms, theaters, and other public venues we think (and this is just a personal opinion) the same rules of etiquette apply at sea as on land which is your baby becomes disruptive a parent needs to quickly leave the room with the child. Friends of ours were on a cruise about 1 year ago (Norwegian) where a family kept a screaming child in the dining room every night. Ultimately, most of the nearby tables asked to be moved and for some reason the line never did anything to have the child removed from the dining room. Kind of a sad situation.

Hank

Keep in mind all the things you will have to bring along for baby. Some ships will sell baby products in advance but the prices are very high so many parents object to the high cost. When you think of all you'll have to lug, you have to decide if it is worth it to you.

Be sure to check with whatever cruise line you choose to be sure of age requirements and anything else you need to know particular to a very young child.

For that reason, I'd look to Disney Lines who are accustomed to babies and children. And, like others have said, leave activities when your child starts to fuss.

How kind of you to recommend a cruiseline you've never been on before! :D

It is definitely true, though - Disney is good with babies and has a great nursery program. However, Disney cruises are rather expensive to be paying for a baby to go on when she won't remember it. Royal Caribbean, being a family cruiseline, is also very accustomed to babies and children.

I'm on team take-your-baby-with-you because of my dear mother's story. She and my dad went on an anniversary vacation to Hawaii when I was about 18 months old, I believe. They left me with my grandparents, and when they came home, I was walking. My mother cried and cried, and has never quite gotten over the fact that she missed my first steps. :( It was the only and last vacation they went on without their children.

Both Allure and Oasis, from Royal Caribbean, have infant nurseries that would be good for anyone with an infant. Most cruise lines don't have programs for those under age two, with Disney, Cunard and RCI being the exceptions. Also, those ships have baby splash zones, where diapered infants can play. You can't take diapered infants into any regular pool, only those specifically designed as infant splash zones.

I remember a family at dinner next to our table, and I always love to watch babies, but with this family I haven't even noticed! The baby was so quiet.

Yes, babies are welcome in the MDR and they have high chairs and probably special menu? You will get more info in the "family" section of Cruise Critic.

As for theater, never seen babies there, and as a mother I would think it would be too loud for a baby, and difficult to sit still.

I think that babies probably get no personal enjoyment from a cruise and likely a doting aunt or grandparent would love to have the child for a week and give the parents a restful vacation. That said, as a parent, I can understand wanting my baby to be with us. But, really, instead of a cruise, I'd rent a place for a week in Aruba, St. Maarten or another island and take the baby.

But, and this is a big BUT, if you cruise,please understand that a baby or children can be very disruptive to others who want to have an enjoyable vacation as well. For that reason, I'd look to Disney Lines who are accustomed to babies and children. And, like others have said, leave activities when your child starts to fuss.

Several of us really don't have the option of leaving our little ones with relatives. Early on, we realized that was true with my in-laws (once picked up our dog after a cruise and he was sick because my FIL allowed him to eats all sorts of stuff, including a wild bird...and my MIL didn't follow my instructions when she was taking care of our baby during the holidays when the day care center was closed and I couldn't take off from work) and my mother (who physically wouldn't be able to take care of her). We stayed home from any vacations until our girl was 23 months of age and we decided to book a cruise for the three of us (I was actually pregnant with her while on a cruise). We didn't have any problems.

Keep in mind all the things you will have to bring along for baby. Some ships will sell baby products in advance but the prices are very high so many parents object to the high cost. When you think of all you'll have to lug, you have to decide if it is worth it to you.

Be sure to check with whatever cruise line you choose to be sure of age requirements and anything else you need to know particular to a very young child.

Taking a little one does involve a lot of planning and careful packing. You can't count on finding size 2 Pampers in the store so you need to bring anything you might need, including medicine. One tip I have is for any family flying to their port to fly in at least a day or two ahead (well, that's my advice for anyone;)) and pad in time to do some shopping for anything you didn't bring. That way you don't need to bring a week's worth of diapers with you on the flight.

Most people love having babies around as long as they are not being noisy (crying). I have seen lots of babies in the dining rooms and a few times in the show lounge. As someone said, it may be a little too loud in the show lounge for a baby.

That said, take the baby and have a great cruise.

Thanks everyone. I am definitely the type of person who would be considerate of others and not remain in a place if my baby was screaming! That being said, my baby is a good baby who doesn't have any problems being anywhere. Loud noises, lots of people, etc., doesn't seem to bother him. Hopefully, he will be the same way in a few months when we decide to vacation.

I just had never read anything as to if he would be allowed to enter the theater, but glad to know they do allow it (if it works out for us to go a few evenings). My mother keeps our baby and I would have a hard time leaving him with strangers in the nursery (even if they are wonderfully trained).

As for leaving my baby for a week, that's not going to happen, seeing as how a vacation for me would mean a chance to spend lots of time with my child. This vacation is not just about me, but about my family! A week away from him when I already struggle to leave him during the day to go to work would be torturous!

How kind of you to recommend a cruiseline you've never been on before! :D

It is definitely true, though - Disney is good with babies and has a great nursery program. However, Disney cruises are rather expensive to be paying for a baby to go on when she won't remember it. Royal Caribbean, being a family cruiseline, is also very accustomed to babies and children.

On Disney, child rates apply to ages 3-12. Children ages 0-2 pay 50% of the child rate. Some select Disney cruises, typically Alaska and the Bahamas, children sail for free. Royal Caribbean has no such discounting, other than the normal third or fourth person per stateroom discount.

Most cruise lines don't have programs for those under age two, with Disney, Cunard and RCI being the exceptions.

FYI, Cunard is raising the minimum age for group activities and babysitting to two years old this year. Was effective as of the current sailing on Queen Elizabeth, later this spring on the other two ships.

Anyway, I'm glad the OP said that her son does not mind crowds, as he will be the center of attention in a room full of older people. Outside of the "adults only" areas you will be free to take him with you throughout the ship. I do hope, though, that you and your husband manage to squeeze in a little "alone time"!

Our very first cruise was Hawaii on Pride of Aloha with 7 of our 8 children ( well our 8th was there but not yet born). We did bring an extra couple to "even the score" a bit, but with the exception of staterooms, we could have done it with just the two of us. Having the extra couple allowed us to leave the ship and know that our children had adults on board that we could trust. We had a BLAST ! Our family will never ever forget this vacation. My children were ages 18m - 13y and all were well behaved and a blessing, rather than a nuisance to those around them including a first class flight and the cruise itself. It takes planning and prep as well as creativity and unlazy parents. I believe that a cruise can be a wonderful famliy vacation. I also believe that as mothers and fathers, we need to do what we can to make sure that while our family isn't becoming a burden on others who are enjoying thier vacation. Sometimes that means watching the rest of the show from the back of the theatre. No biggy.

Thanks for asking. While traveling over the years, I have seen families traveling and often they have little to no considerations for others when their child is fussy. I don 't blame the child, it is the parent that has the problem. That fact you are asking for advice in advance shows you are on the right track and I am sure you will get some helpful info. Happy travels to you and your family.

Archived