Did I do it wrong?

vantec

Our Caribbean Cruise last week was the first time we were able to take advantage of the Elite free laundry service and I was so looking forward to it, but it ended up being a frustration for me and I’m wondering if I did something wrong. When we met our cabin steward the very first day, I told him I wanted my husband’s suit pressed along with a couple shirts, could I give them to him. He said no, he was busy and the people in the laundry were busy, he’d get the items the next day. I stressed we needed them for the first formal night – he said no problem. The next morning, even though we had our “do not disturb” sign out and we were sleeping in, the cabin steward woke us up to get the laundry. I gave him credit for not forgetting about the laundry, and he did get it back to us that night, at which time I asked for additional laundry bags, he said he’d leave them for me when he freshened up our cabin that night – but he didn’t, he forgot. I chased him down and got a couple bags. There wasn’t a sense of urgency to get the laundry back as quickly, but after two days, it still wasn’t back, so I asked the cabin steward – he had forgotten, he said he’d get it to us first thing the next morning, I reminded him that we liked to sleep in and I did not want him to wake us up, so he unhappily went off and got our laundry. After sending out small amounts of laundry three times, I quit because it was not the treat I thought it would be. Is this a typical experience for others out there, how should I have done it correctly?

I have also been Elite for awhile and have used the service.

The first day (turnaround day) is the hardest day for the room stewards and from what I understand is one of the busiest days for laundry also.

I know I have handed the room steward clothes on the first day and he indicated that it would take a little longer as on the first day, they are doing a lot of bed linens and robes from the previous week and that they wouldn't get started until the following day.

I think your room steward was probably worried that he needed to get the clothes downstairs the following morning and unfortunately had to knock in order to get it and back in time. He probably was too busy to get it down the first day. I don't think he was lazy, just really busy. These individuals work incredibly hard and have to juggle 15 plus rooms at a time.

I have had to ask for extra laundry bags and never thought anything about it. Again - they have to juggle 15-18 rooms. I give the person a break. If that is the worst thing they did that week, not a big deal. Don't sweat the small stuff.

I have also been Elite for awhile and have used the service.

The first day (turnaround day) is the hardest day for the room stewards and from what I understand is one of the busiest days for laundry also.

I know I have handed the room steward clothes on the first day and he indicated that it would take a little longer as on the first day, they are doing a lot of bed linens and robes from the previous week and that they wouldn't get started until the following day.

I think your room steward was probably worried that he needed to get the clothes downstairs the following morning and unfortunately had to knock in order to get it and back in time. He probably was too busy to get it down the first day. I don't think he was lazy, just really busy. These individuals work incredibly hard and have to juggle 15 plus rooms at a time.

I have had to ask for extra laundry bags and never thought anything about it. Again - they have to juggle 15-18 rooms. I give the person a break. If that is the worst thing they did that week, not a big deal. Don't sweat the small stuff.

I agree with Coral. On turnaround day, the laundry is busy with all the sheets and towels from the previous guests. When you board, the steward is checking with all his passengers and taking requests. He doesn't have time to make a soecial run to the laundry for you. If you check the laundry form, it says that in order to get things back the same day, it has to be in by 9:00am. Your steward was doing what you'd asked him to do.

I've put out a laundry bag the first evening before leaving for a pre-dinner drink, it was gone when I came back to my cabin after dinner, and received it back the next afternoon. You could easily have done that.

As elite member, you are entitled to free laundry no matter how small amount in a bag and how many bags in a week. Please have a heart for the room stewards. Day 1 is their busiest day. They probably work 16 hours on that day. There is no guaranty that your laundry will be returned within a day or 2. It all depends on how busy is the laundry department. If you send the laundry out on Wednesday morning, you might or might not get them back on Friday night. I can understand the room stewards occasionally forgot about your requests.

The best time to turn in that first laundry is on the next day after embarkation. Just fill the bag with the laundry slip and leave it on the bed. When the steward makes up the cabin he will take the laundry at that time. That's all there is to it. We've never had any trouble with laundry in all our cruises.

I know that your laundry is done free, but it is extra work for the cabin

attendant. They now have a lot more cabins to look after then before, because of cutbacks. Maybe a "tip" for this extra "errand" would help with the "promptness" JMHO

I can understand the need to have things pressed on the first day but do folks really send out laundry then? Do they bring their clothes on-board dirty for the free service? It is usually the 4-5th day before I need laundry service. Just wondering here...

I can understand the need to have things pressed on the first day but do folks really send out laundry then? Do they bring their clothes on-board dirty for the free service? It is usually the 4-5th day before I need laundry service. Just wondering here...

Some of us travel to the destination (embarkation city or nearby) for several days before we get on the ship. With air costs being so high, we often combine land trips with our cruises now.

I know that your laundry is done free, but it is extra work for the cabin

attendant. They now have a lot more cabins to look after then before, because of cutbacks. Maybe a "tip" for this extra "errand" would help with the "promptness" JMHO

My thoughts exactly. I typically tip a couple bucks for this service and have had no issues in 4 cruises as elite.

We travel to London 1 day before then have approx. 4 days in Fort Lauderdale, before we board, so we have 5 days laundry on day one, I take it to the laundermat myself, it only takes approx. 90 mins and by muster it's all done.

To be honest to reach elite we have all cruised at least 150 days, so we know how busy these guys are on day 1 and how hard they work in general.

I believe the laundry I have whilst on board should be done as part of my benefits and folks taking dirty washing with them shouldn't complain when this perk is reduced, which it will if like the internet is abused IMHO

We're flying to Singapore on a Tuesday, losing a day so will arrive on Thursday and boarding the ship on Sunday. Yes, we will have laundry, but in no way would I think of sending it out on day one. No matter how "lightly" one packs, I think they will have enough to last them an extra day. Or two.

Yup. I'm spending eight days pre-cruise in February, either flying, several days in Galapagos and a couple of days in Santiago before boarding the ship. I'm definitely going to have a bag or two ready to send out the first night. However, I would never ask my steward to take it while he's making his rounds as passengers are embarking the way the OP did; and, I know it will really be sent out the next day. I send it out at night in case I sleep late in the morning.

OP wanted a suit pressed for the first formal night which is usually early in the cruise. No matter how clean the suit is, it will likely need pressing after a trip to the ship in a suitcase.

It is not unreasonable to give it to the steward on embarkation day. If the steward is to busy to take it when embarking, I would just leave it on the bed in the laundry bag so it could be taken when the steward does the evening turn down service.

In my opinion, except for being extremely busy as new guests came onboard, the steward was not performing his duties properly. (Another poster suggested bribing him to do the job properly. I disagree.)

No, the OP did nothing wrong. And if you had been paying for the service instead of having it as an elite benefit, I expect the service from the cabin steward would have been the same.

In my numerous cruises with the Elite benefit I've had 3 cabin Stewart's who were reluctant to give out laundry bags. After the second experience chasing him down the hall the next morning I found that taking two actions works: First go down the hall to the next senior looking Stewart and ask for a dozen bags stating my Stewart doesn't' understand English and than go to the pursers office " Elite Line" and fill out a compliant form and notify them verbally that it is unacceptable that the stewart's don't have enough laundry bags. Why struggle....cruises are to enjoy. I must say that normally the Princess Stewarts are absolutely excellent!

In my numerous cruises with the Elite benefit I've had 3 cabin Stewart's who were reluctant to give out laundry bags. After the second experience chasing him down the hall the next morning I found that taking two actions works: First go down the hall to the next senior looking Stewart and ask for a dozen bags stating my Stewart doesn't' understand English and than go to the pursers office " Elite Line" and fill out a compliant form and notify them verbally that it is unacceptable that the stewart's don't have enough laundry bags. Why struggle....cruises are to enjoy. I must say that normally the Princess Stewarts are absolutely excellent!

They are called 'Stewards', not 'Stewarts".;)

They are called 'Stewards', not 'Stewarts".;)

HA and here I was thinking that Stewart was Stewards evil twin seperated at birth.......:eek::D

While I have 5 more cruise before I hit Elite I would have wait until the first night putting the suit out on the bed with instructions to please send to laundry for pressing.

In my opinion, except for being extremely busy as new guests came onboard, the steward was not performing his duties properly. (Another poster suggested bribing him to do the job properly. I disagree.)

I suggested a gratuity/tip, which is simply common courtesy. Rewarding the attendant upon timely delivery of the clean, pressed, folded and hung cloths will likely result in a more attentive attendant. (I love having my billboard tshirts pressed, but what's up with the little tags on everything?) If the attendant, however, chooses to be less than attentive it is time to have a chat with him and if necessary ask him for the name of his boss and take it to the next level if service remains less than satisfactory.

In my defense, I told the cabin steward that this was our first time for the free laundry benefit and I wasn't sure of the process. He was the one who said he wanted to wait until the next day, had he told me to leave it on the bed and he'd get it that evening, I would have done that. I also asked for a top sheet and two bathrobes - which he forgot. I tracked him down that evening and asked for the top sheet, which I put on the bed myself. When he woke us up the next morning to pick up the suit for pressing, I did not have a bathrobe, so I wasn't excited too open the door!

In my defense, I told the cabin steward that this was our first time for the free laundry benefit and I wasn't sure of the process. He was the one who said he wanted to wait until the next day, had he told me to leave it on the bed and he'd get it that evening, I would have done that. I also asked for a top sheet and two bathrobes - which he forgot. I tracked him down that evening and asked for the top sheet, which I put on the bed myself. When he woke us up the next morning to pick up the suit for pressing, I did not have a bathrobe, so I wasn't excited too open the door!

Very often you will not get a bathrobe until the next day. The bathrobes are being laundered on boarding day and some of them are still not ready that first night.

I agree that tipping for services to be rendered or rendered is not a bribe. DW even sends an envelope with a note and gratuity to the laundry room. If it gets there and who gets it is not our concern as it makes her feel good. We have gotten notes of appreciation back.

Archived