Who's the appropriate contact person at HAL?

elycelynne

If you booked with a travel agent, I think that is to whom should address your complaint.

If you booked a guarantee, then you probably received a discount when doing so. At least that has been my experience.

What exactly do you expect from Guest Relations as an acceptable response?

David

I haven't quite figured that out yet. Maybe a small credit for a future cruise and an acknowledgment that putting someone who booked a VD Guarantee in this crappy cabin while those who book VH Guarantees end up with nice cabins isn't quite fair.

I get it---I totally understand your displeasure! I would not consider this an upgrade to a VA. While you get more sq. footage of verandah space, in my opinion, this is not a desirable cabin/verandah. I can honestly say that while we have preferences of where we would like our cabin to be located, we are not that picky. I would be very disappointed with this cabin.

A few weeks ago we were several decks above this cabin (#4054) on the Eurodam. From our verandah, we looked down at this particular cabin/verandah and found it rather odd. Oddly shaped, odd exposure to the elements, a wall on one side and life boat on the other. It was the only verandah that you looked directly down into. We made a point to pull up the HAL Deck Plans to ascertain which cabin this was to avoid it for future sailings.

Were you able to determine exactly how hot your cabin was? Along with plastic baggies, flashlights, etc., a battery operated clock with a built in thermometer has come in very handy in discussions of temperatures while on board.

Thank you for getting it! But no, I didn't bring anything with a temperature indicator.

All ships, on all cruise lines, have more and less desirable cabins and it's all subjective. When one books a guarantee, one accepts the risk of getting the cabin no one else wanted.

As stated above, I think it wasn't right of HAL to put someone who purchased a VD Guarantee into a crappier cabin than those who purchase VH Guarantees.

While you get more sq. footage of verandah space, in my opinion, this is not a desirable cabin/verandah. I can honestly say that while we have preferences of where we would like our cabin to be located, we are not that picky. I would be very disappointed with this cabin.

Whereas were I in that circumstance and received that cabin, I'd have been thrilled beyond belief! I would have found it fascinating just sitting out there watching the guys go about their business raising and lowering the tender - and more sun & heat is always welcome!

Just goes to show that everyone has a different view of what appeals to them and what doesn't. If anyone is that concerned about what they want from a cabin and doesn't want the risk of getting something undesirable, then a Guarantee simply isn't for them...

...but IMO the OP shouldn't waste the effort telling HAL how unhappy she was - just chalk it up to experience, and book specifics from here on out.

I saw on other posts that you asked for and received pictures of the balcony. You knew that it was very exposed before you left. I really do not see and validity to your complaints. Someone has to get the rooms no one else wants. You wound uo with one of them.

Yes, I knew the balcony had a lot of exposure, but I didn't know that the overhang would be so tiny and that the cabin would bake like an oven.

I guess you got an education after booking a guarantee.

You can say that again! :eek:

Thay is precicely why some of us do not book a guarantee. We pay for and get the staterooms we want. Just be thankful you were not on the Costa Concordia.

Helen

Well that much is definitely true!

Thanks for your reply. I understand. I hope you get a nice discount on a future HAL sailing.

Choosing a "guarantee" is just the same a buying a lottery ticket, rolling the dice, or playing a slot machine. You may have been upgraded to a veranda suite or deluxe veranda.....but alas you weren't. That is the "risk - reward" side of the equation.

I've given up on guarantees, simply because I've only been really lucky once in 3 times.

David

P.S. You would be surprised as to just how many people choose an interior cabin only to hope for a "miracle" upgrade at check-in.

Sigh!

Okay -- I just want to make it clear one more time: I wasn't expecting to be upgraded to any kind of suite. I just wanted a balcony that I could spend at least a little time on and a cabin that wasn't an oven during the day from the heat of the sun despite the drapes being drawn and the air conditioning being turned all the way up.

I don't think that these are unreasonable things, but apparently I'm in the minority!

Sigh!

Okay -- I just want to make it clear one more time: I wasn't expecting to be upgraded to any kind of suite. I just wanted a balcony that I could spend at least a little time on and a cabin that wasn't an oven during the day from the heat of the sun despite the drapes being drawn and the air conditioning being turned all the way up.

I don't think that these are unreasonable things, but apparently I'm in the minority!

no - you are not in the minority - but basically, a lot of us - IF we want a balcony that meets our idea of ideal, (I want sun - others want shade) then we book our room number. We don't go with guarantees.

Some people who book guarantees have been 'burnt' or disappointed at some stage and that's why they select their cabins now.

On a transatlantic - depending upon which side you choose and which way you are going - you will have sun or shade - if you have a preference and go with a guarantee, you have a 50/50 chance of being unhappy.

No discounting of your unhappiness from me, but unfortunately, a balcony guarantee carries risks and potential rewards.

I just don't like risks so I like to choose :) As you saw one person at least would have loved this - I wouldn't have -but that's just me.

sorry you were disappointed. Fair seas and following winds

Sigh!

I'm not trying to sound mean or anything like that because that is not how this is intended, but why do you think you are so special that you should not have gotten that stateroom? You got what you paid for (actually you got more than what you paid for since you booked a VD Guarantee and got a VA), whether it was acceptable to you or not. Would I have been happy if this were my stateroom, most likely not because I can't deal with that kind of heat at all...but I wouldn't be trying to "get" anything because I knew that I booked a guarantee.

This cabin was 4054, on the port side with a lifeboat immediately to the left of it thereby making that side totally unsheltered and the only partition being on the right. It has a very long balcony which would normally be a good thing. Trouble is, the angled overhang provided maybe 3 feet of total shelter if that much, so the rest of the balcony was totally exposed and provided no shelter from the hot daytime sun, making it virtually unusable during the day. The aforementioned hot daytime sun baked the room like an oven, even with the drapes closed and the air conditioning turned all the way to its coldest setting, so the room was pretty uncomfortable in the daytime, too.

NOW do you see the reason for my displeasure???

Nope. We have paid a premium for a VA multiple times because we like these cabins, especially the forward ones.

You definitely should never ever book a guarantee ever again if you can not accept every stateroom in that category or above. Suppose you had been given a HC cabin without a tub? You pay the discount to let the cruise line make the assignment.

Btw, the only guarantees we have ever done were with Suites where the savings were considerable.

I saw on other posts that you asked for and received pictures of the balcony. You knew that it was very exposed before you left. I really do not see and validity to your complaints. Someone has to get the rooms no one else wants. You wound uo with one of them.

Where is the link to the photo of this balcony? Someone pointed out that the balcony is large.

I haven't quite figured that out yet. Maybe a small credit for a future cruise and an acknowledgment that putting someone who booked a VD Guarantee in this crappy cabin while those who book VH Guarantees end up with nice cabins isn't quite fair.

Where is the link to the photos?

I can't see HAL giving you a future credit because you did not like your QTY assignment, but let us know their response.

And if most are thinking erroneously that my cabin was an actual stern cabin then yes, I could see how most could think that. However, NOWHERE in my post did I say it was a stern cabin.

This cabin was 4054, on the port side with a lifeboat immediately to the left of it thereby making that side totally unsheltered and the only partition being on the right. It has a very long balcony which would normally be a good thing. Trouble is, the angled overhang provided maybe 3 feet of total shelter if that much, so the rest of the balcony was totally exposed and provided no shelter from the hot daytime sun, making it virtually unusable during the day. The aforementioned hot daytime sun baked the room like an oven, even with the drapes closed and the air conditioning turned all the way to its coldest setting, so the room was pretty uncomfortable in the daytime, too.

I've stayed in a regular VD. I've also stayed in a stern VA. Both were pleasant experiences. This was not. I purchased a VD Guarantee with the assumption that my cabin would at least be on that level in terms of comfort. It was not. This is why I'm saying that this particular cabin and those like it on the Signature and Vista class ships shouldn't be classified as anything remotely close to a VA -- They should be classified even lower than a VD! I purchased a VD Guarantee. People who purchased VH Guarantees got better cabins.

NOW do you see the reason for my displeasure???

These two photos are of the same stateroom, just opposite side of the ship from the stateroom directly above, VF 5051.

Possibly these will help others to understand your complaint. I do and I might be upset as well.

And additionally a quote from CC member ariawoman, who provided the photos: "2 of the photos are views of the verandahs below ours, so, Deck 4, probably 4051 and 4049?"

sm-5051_ariawoman-26.jpg

sm-5051_ariawoman-27.jpg

Joanie

Hey guys come on, in all fairness to the OP, the photos provided in the other thread did not show wxactly what she needed to see.

If I'd paid more attention to her post in December, I may probably could have posted the photos showing the verandah from above. BUT I did not. I thought the photos provided by others were enough.... That is what I get for assuming.

This stateroom is not acceptable to everyone and we need to remember that and be a little kinder:)

I remember just this past week someone who was highly upset, and rightly so, because they received an SQ as an upgrade. Only problem was none of us knew until they got back that the verandah railing was exceptionally high!!

Joanie

I just want to know how the OP knows that those people who booked a VH guarantee got better. On the Eurodam those folks could have been assigned a VT which is WAY worse than what you ended up with. I generally book guarantees and I would say I'm happy with the assignment 90% of the time. I will NEVER book at VH guarantee on the Eurodam unless they are giving it away because I got burnt with a VT. I had no idea this was even a possibily even though I'm a long time poster:rolleyes:.

I know that the OP was on the NA.

OP, in all honesty I don't think you will get a lot of sympathy from Seattle but good luck just the same.

I just want to know how the OP knows that those people who booked a VH guarantee got better. On the Eurodam those folks could have been assigned a VT which is WAY worse than what you ended up with. I generally book guarantees and I would say I'm happy with the assignment 90% of the time. I will NEVER book at VH guarantee on the Eurodam unless they are giving it away because I got burnt with a VT. I had no idea this was even a possibily even though I'm a long time poster:rolleyes:.

I know that the OP was on the NA.

OP, in all honesty I don't think you will get a lot of sympathy from Seattle but good luck just the same.

I know of people who booked VH guarantees getting better VA cabins because people on our roll call were posting their guarantee results.

Yes, I've learned my lesson.

I'm not trying to sound mean or anything like that because that is not how this is intended, but why do you think you are so special that you should not have gotten that stateroom? You got what you paid for (actually you got more than what you paid for since you booked a VD Guarantee and got a VA), whether it was acceptable to you or not. Would I have been happy if this were my stateroom, most likely not because I can't deal with that kind of heat at all...but I wouldn't be trying to "get" anything because I knew that I booked a guarantee.

I don't think I'm "so special", but something else that I thought would be taken into consideration (but apparently not) is that I booked this guarantee almost a year ahead of time, while others booked theirs much farther in. I thought that would at least get me a normal but decent balcony cabin, but I guess order doesn't count, either. As I said earlier, I would have been happier if HAL just put me in a standard VD, because at least I wouldn't have had to deal with this.

I don't think I'm "so special", but something else that I thought would be taken into consideration (but apparently not) is that I booked this guarantee almost a year ahead of time, while others booked theirs much farther in. I thought that would at least get me a normal but decent balcony cabin, but I guess order doesn't count, either. As I said earlier, I would have been happier if HAL just put me in a standard VD, because at least I wouldn't have had to deal with this.

I've heard on the CC boards that the earlier you book guarantees the better the assignment. I have no idea where that comes from. I've had a few cruises that I booked over a year in advance and those seem to be the worst assignments.

I've heard on the CC boards that the earlier you book guarantees the better the assignment. I have no idea where that comes from. I've had a few cruises that I booked over a year in advance and those seem to be the worst assignments.

agree Lorekauf - it seems to help sometimes, but let's face it - none of us really know how the upgrade/upsell fairy really works. Sometimes I wonder if she just throws darts;)

agree Lorekauf - it seems to help sometimes, but let's face it - none of us really know how the upgrade/upsell fairy really works. Sometimes I wonder if she just throws darts;)

I always find that it is less stressful and worrisome to book a 'specific' (interior) stateroom! ;) I would never book a 'guarantee! :eek:

No wonder no one booked that cabin intentionally and it was open for guarantee bookings. That's the risk you take when you book a guarantee. Like the OP said, lesson learned.

How do you know it wasn't booked but they canceled?

Agree with the OP ... that is a pretty crappy cabin for a VA. Except for the aft VA's on that deck, the only VA's on that deck are the ones with the longer verandah overlooking a lifeboat on one side. And the cabins directly above them are VF's.

Apparently, HAL felt that the larger verandah dictated the VA classification ... and perhaps they need to revisit the issue and, possibly, reclassify them as one of the lowest verandah categories, due to the issues raised by the OP. Wouldn't be the first time HAL reclassed cabins ... for a long time, some of the smaller ships had a couple of aft cabins that HAL had classed as insides. And people loved them because they had a window as well as a nearby doorway for aft deck access. A year or so ago, HAL reclassed them as oceanview.

To the OP: suggest that you do contact HAL and define clearly and rationally why you believe those specific cabins on that deck are classed incorrectly and should be downgraded.

Please let us know how HAL handles your communication about these VA's.

Archived