Who's the appropriate contact person at HAL?

elycelynne

I was extremely disappointed with my cabin assignment. I booked a VD Guarantee (meaning I couldn't get anything lower than that category). I ended up with VA 4054 which was on the same deck as the VDs and which would technically be considered an upgrade, but the hot sun on the overly-exposed balcony made it virtually unusable during the day and the room itself baked, even with the drapes closed and the air-conditioning turned up all the way.

So if any of you have the name of the appropriate contact person in Seattle, what I want to do is express my displeasure at the travesty of this particular cabin's classification and to suggest that the cabin be re-classified and downgraded to no higher than a VD, and probably even lower. I would have proabably been more comfortable in a VE or a VF! I would imagine that someone who paid full VA price for that cabin would feel extremely ripped off.

And this will be the last time that I book a guarantee.

Don't book a guarantee then.

The VD cabins have a fair amount of sun too since a similar it also is partially uncovered like the VA cabins on the stern.

Thank you for that pearl of wisdom. I said in my original post that I wouldn't book a guarantee again, so there was no need to tell me that.

I've stayed in a VD cabin, and it was NOWHERE as bad as this was. As I stated, this cabin should be classified no higher than a VD and probably lower.

I'm still looking for some useful information.

I have only complained once but it was originally by email and after 5 weeks I sent one by regular post direct to the President Stein Kruse of Holland America.

I was given all kinds of credits and extras but it is all handled by assistants of the president.

Hope this helps

John

????? :confused:

People, all I'm looking for is a name.

Well, perhaps most are thinking you don't have much of an issue.

You might not like the classification of the cabins but I am sure it must work for most. and lots of people clamor to get those cabins on the stern, so not such a travesty, just not your cup of tea. I doubt they will change it due to one complaint.

I was extremely disappointed with my cabin assignment. I booked a VD Guarantee (meaning I couldn't get anything lower than that category). I ended up with VA 4054 which was on the same deck as the VDs and which would technically be considered an upgrade, but the hot sun on the overly-exposed balcony made it virtually unusable during the day and the room itself baked, even with the drapes closed and the air-conditioning turned up all the way.

So if any of you have the name of the appropriate contact person in Seattle, what I want to do is express my displeasure at the travesty of this particular cabin's classification and to suggest that the cabin be re-classified and downgraded to no higher than a VD, and probably even lower. I would have proabably been more comfortable in a VE or a VF! I would imagine that someone who paid full VA price for that cabin would feel extremely ripped off.

And this will be the last time that I book a guarantee.

Holland America Line Guest Relations,

300 Elliott Avenue West,

Seattle, WA

E-mail: guestrelationsathollandamerica.com

Fax: 208-905-8962

To make this simple, just go to the HAL website and hit the contact us button. You can email them directly. You will get an acknowledgement and answer in about 4 weeks (my best estimate). It works the same whether you send it by fax or snail mail.

I just sent them an email in December and received a reply last week.

Unlike you though, mine was a compliment and to point out key staff who i thought were extraordinary.

Well, perhaps most are thinking you don't have much of an issue.

You might not like the classification of the cabins but I am sure it must work for most. and lots of people clamor to get those cabins on the stern, so not such a travesty, just not your cup of tea. I doubt they will change it due to one complaint.

And if most are thinking erroneously that my cabin was an actual stern cabin then yes, I could see how most could think that. However, NOWHERE in my post did I say it was a stern cabin.

This cabin was 4054, on the port side with a lifeboat immediately to the left of it thereby making that side totally unsheltered and the only partition being on the right. It has a very long balcony which would normally be a good thing. Trouble is, the angled overhang provided maybe 3 feet of total shelter if that much, so the rest of the balcony was totally exposed and provided no shelter from the hot daytime sun, making it virtually unusable during the day. The aforementioned hot daytime sun baked the room like an oven, even with the drapes closed and the air conditioning turned all the way to its coldest setting, so the room was pretty uncomfortable in the daytime, too.

I've stayed in a regular VD. I've also stayed in a stern VA. Both were pleasant experiences. This was not. I purchased a VD Guarantee with the assumption that my cabin would at least be on that level in terms of comfort. It was not. This is why I'm saying that this particular cabin and those like it on the Signature and Vista class ships shouldn't be classified as anything remotely close to a VA -- They should be classified even lower than a VD! I purchased a VD Guarantee. People who purchased VH Guarantees got better cabins.

NOW do you see the reason for my displeasure???

When we got home the first week of December we had reason to write HAL a letter concerning our cruise.

I wrote the letter to Guest Relations.

Todate we have only gotten a form letter indicating that they were taking letters in the order that they received them -- we got that form letter last week.

I hope you get a faster response than what we have gotten.

Even our TA has contacted HAL for us and has gotten nowhere.

And if most are thinking erroneously that my cabin was an actual stern cabin then yes, I could see how most could think that. However, NOWHERE in my post did I say it was a stern cabin.

This cabin was 4054, on the port side with a lifeboat immediately to the left of it thereby making that side totally unsheltered and the only partition being on the right. It has a very long balcony which would normally be a good thing. Trouble is, the angled overhang provided maybe 3 feet of total shelter if that much, so the rest of the balcony was totally exposed and provided no shelter from the hot daytime sun, making it virtually unusable during the day. The aforementioned hot daytime sun baked the room like an oven, even with the drapes closed and the air conditioning turned all the way to its coldest setting, so the room was pretty uncomfortable in the daytime, too.

<snip>

Actually, No, I don't see the ??? reason for your extreme displeasure. Again, it's back to not all of us want the same thing. :)

Some of us would be delighted to have sun all day on our veranda. My DH would be thrilled. He's a real sun lover and our "S" and "SA" verandas only have sun for parts of the day.

Not everyone wants shade all day.

I hope you got your answer. You booked a guarantee and got what you asked for. If you didn't want to accept any stateroom in the categories that you could have gotten then you shouldn't have booked a guarantee. HAL has their staterooms classified as such based on their research and knowledge...they are the experts, not us.

On our sailing in February we booked our first guarantee. We carefully perused the deck plans to be sure that there was no stateroom that would be unacceptable to us. We know that we will accept whatever comes about because of our choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sorry, I apoplogize for making a wrong conclusion, I should have checked the deck plan more carefully; I looked for VAs on Deck 4 and missed the 4 of them not on the stern, I never realized those were VAs. (Perhaps I was visualizing the Zuiderdam where those are VD cabins)

I have not seen posts with issue before - and I am not saying it wasn't what you say it was. Just curious that it hasn't come up before.

This is why I'm saying that this particular cabin and those like it on the Signature and Vista class ships shouldn't be classified as anything remotely close to a VA -- They should be classified even lower than a VD!

On the Vistas they are VD cabins.

Actually, No, I don't see the ??? reason for your extreme displeasure. Again, it's back to not all of us want the same thing. :)

Some of us would be delighted to have sun all day on our veranda. My DH would be thrilled. He's a real sun lover and our "S" and "SA" verandas only have sun for parts of the day.

Not everyone wants shade all day.

Okay, now I never said that I required shade ALL DAY. But it would have been nice to have a little bit of shelter -- at least enough so my cabin didn't bake like an oven during the day even with the drapes closed and the air turned to its coldest setting. Would that have delighted you as well?

I hope you got your answer. You booked a guarantee and got what you asked for. If you didn't want to accept any stateroom in the categories that you could have gotten then you shouldn't have booked a guarantee. HAL has their staterooms classified as such based on their research and knowledge...they are the experts, not us.

On our sailing in February we booked our first guarantee. We carefully perused the deck plans to be sure that there was no stateroom that would be unacceptable to us. We know that we will accept whatever comes about because of our choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. I don't need another reminder that I booked a guarantee. And there was nothing in the deck plan that said "hey, just warning you that this cabin and veranda are going to be uncomfortable", so even if one peruses the deck plans until the cows come home, there are some things that aren't evident just from that.

I've stayed in a regular VD. I've also stayed in a stern VA. Both were pleasant experiences. This was not. I purchased a VD Guarantee with the assumption that my cabin would at least be on that level in terms of comfort. It was not. This is why I'm saying that this particular cabin and those like it on the Signature and Vista class ships shouldn't be classified as anything remotely close to a VA -- They should be classified even lower than a VD! I purchased a VD Guarantee. People who purchased VH Guarantees got better cabins.

This cabin is a VA on the signature ships and not a VD like on the vistas likely because of the huge balcony. That alone would make it more desirable than the neighboring VD cabins for many people. You pay for location and square footage and apparently HAL thinks this cabin is worth a premium over the ones around it.

If you booked with a travel agent, I think that is to whom should address your complaint.

If you booked a guarantee, then you probably received a discount when doing so. At least that has been my experience.

What exactly do you expect from Guest Relations as an acceptable response?

David

I get it---I totally understand your displeasure! I would not consider this an upgrade to a VA. While you get more sq. footage of verandah space, in my opinion, this is not a desirable cabin/verandah. I can honestly say that while we have preferences of where we would like our cabin to be located, we are not that picky. I would be very disappointed with this cabin.

A few weeks ago we were several decks above this cabin (#4054) on the Eurodam. From our verandah, we looked down at this particular cabin/verandah and found it rather odd. Oddly shaped, odd exposure to the elements, a wall on one side and life boat on the other. It was the only verandah that you looked directly down into. We made a point to pull up the HAL Deck Plans to ascertain which cabin this was to avoid it for future sailings.

Were you able to determine exactly how hot your cabin was? Along with plastic baggies, flashlights, etc., a battery operated clock with a built in thermometer has come in very handy in discussions of temperatures while on board.

I saw on other posts that you asked for and received pictures of the balcony. You knew that it was very exposed before you left. I really do not see and validity to your complaints. Someone has to get the rooms no one else wants. You wound uo with one of them.

Archived