Did You Notice the Best Itinerary on the Newest Ship Peak Week has been Hijacked?

themed4me

Not what I wanted to discover after having booked the cruise, airfare, hotels, etc. Segment removed from the Seabourn site.

http://atlantisevents.com/Seabourn-Istanbul-to-Athens-Cruise/17#overview

So did SB cancel your cruise? It appears this group has chartered the whole ship.

Host Dan

Not what I wanted to discover after having booked the cruise, airfare, hotels, etc. Segment removed from the Seabourn site.

http://atlantisevents.com/Seabourn-Istanbul-to-Athens-Cruise/17#overview

How annoying for you - and any others who have booked. Do let us know if Seabourn reimburse you for any expenses you have already incurred.:(

How annoying for you - and any others who have booked. Do let us know if Seabourn reimburse you for any expenses you have already incurred.:(

A few years ago we were booked on the Legend from St Thomas to Lisbon, we found out through this board that the St Thomas to Fort Lauderdale portion of the cruise had been chartered, so we contacted our agents and through them we were offered a cancellation for the whole cruise, with all expenses, such as flights and hotels already booked reimbursed, plus a 10% discount on any future cruise. Our US friends who were travelling with us on the TA portion, booked through our agent in the UK were not so lucky and had to either go on the cruise or lose their desposit.

Dan I have yet to hear from Seabourn. That says something in and of itself. First found out from a friend surfing the Internet. 30 weeks of brand loyalty does not mean as much as is it used to I suppose.

I'm sorry this has happened to you. There is no excuse for the lack of communication. Please keep us updated!

Host Dan

Dan I have yet to hear from Seabourn. That says something in and of itself. First found out from a friend surfing the Internet. 30 weeks of brand loyalty does not mean as much as is it used to I suppose.

I was also booked on this trip.Very disappointing as the ship visits ports not visited before.

I have been offered a 10% discount off another Seabourn cruise and $300 onboard credit,which I have applied to a future booked trip.

I looked for an alternative cruise with Seabourn but alas there is nothing that suits.

I am trying the Crystal Serenity in August,they will be all inclusive by then and a lot of freinds have been booking with Crystal to try the excellent dining options.

With Holland America. I am a long time cruiser with Seabourn But looking at other cruiselines Now. Now that have been told and I am sure most people know that the triplets are up for sale. No surprise to me. This means alot you shuffling around if the deal goes threw. I also get upset when you call seabourn and you get a return call about 4 days later the caller ID says Holland America. I am dealing with Seabourn. I almost did not take the call.

With Holland America. I am a long time cruiser with Seabourn But looking at other cruiselines Now. Now that have been told and I am sure most people know that the triplets are up for sale. No surprise to me. This means alot you shuffling around if the deal goes threw. I also get upset when you call seabourn and you get a return call about 4 days later the caller ID says Holland America. I am dealing with Seabourn. I almost did not take the call.

The whole Holland America partnership seems to be watering down the reputation of Seabourn. OK, I'll bite.... Where did you hear the little sisters were up for sale? Who supposedly would be the Buyer?

Host Dan

A very reliable source within the organization.

If that turns out to be true, there may be a mass exodus of loyal SB cruisers to the new cruise line. Provided, of course, that standards are maintained. Seadream? Baby Crystals?

If that turns out to be true, there may be a mass exodus of loyal SB cruisers to the new cruise line. Provided, of course, that standards are maintained. Seadream? Baby Crystals?

I have absolutely no idea if the little ships are up for sale, but would not be surprised. They must be costing a lot to keep up to standards, and as Seabourn is now trying (and succeeding to some extent) in attracting a younger clientele, the three larger ships are surely a better proposition financially? It would be good to know how many loyal SB cruisers would do the 'mass exodus', not that we will ever find out! Certainly many of the loyal cruisers, like us, now enjoy the larger ships as much as or more than the small ones - we have met quite a few on board with 300 or even far more days on Seabourn.

I will hold fast that the three 'lit Seabourn Sisters are not for sale until I hear it from "Uncle Micky." Carnival Corp. would not be spending mega $$$$'s on dry docks if they intended to sell them.

Martita B.

Uncle Micky- you cracked me up !

I'd imagine that should the triplets be for sale, a lot of people would move over to the line that purchased them, especially considering Seabourn is a product that focuses on it's soft side more than the hard offering (i.e. the ship). Just look at SeaDream, if they purchased the triplets I think it'll add a lot to their fleet and they'll turn into the ''Seabourn'' of old, with the SeaGodesses and triplets.

Personally, I'd think twice before boarding the triplets, but then that is just me- I am one of the younger people that Seabourn managed to attract through the Odyssey, which I find to be the perfect size of ship for my needs.

Yet, as a company, I'd think until they can order a new set of 10,000 ton cruise ships (a la Le Boreal- although the soft product on that ship has been criticized, the vessels themselves have had much acclaim).

I've checked with a yacht broker who also deals in cruise ships and so far the Seabourn triplets have not been added to the sale roster- these are the same people that had the Norwegian Sky, Costa Marina, etc. available for sale, so if Seabourn made their intent to sell public, then it would probably appear there.

From an economy of scale point though, it might make a lot of sense to stick to the three younger ships, and shed the older triplets- but wouldn't someone here think, that the Pride, Legend and Spirit are just so Seabourn, that SB can't possibly sell them. Cunard Line didn't allow the QE2 to be sold to a cruise line again, even if they were willing to upgrade her to SOLAS regulations. One can understand why, as that ship is just so Cunard, and if another line imitated Cunard's product with the QE2 you can be assured there would have been a mass exodus.

If Seadream, I think SB fans would find that their cruises would be quite a lot more pricey, and also that they would not appeal so much to the older age group, many of whom are the big fans of the small ships. Unless Seadream changed their ambiance somewhat - IMO (and I have done 3 Seadream cruises) they have the biggest appeal to very active people under 55 or so who like physical activities in the day, and staying up quite late on deck dancing and listening to guitar music etc.

Whatever renovations are being made to the small ships are important to sustain Seabourn customers' expectations until these ships are sold and to attract the best possible price for them. Seabourn cannot afford to let the brand suffer and let their past investments lose value. Note that the renovations of the past 2 years are not new 21st century engines but are more in the spirit of new upholstery.

It seems to me that Seabourn is moving up to the bigger ships for marketing differentiation first and economies of scale second. These are arguably the most spacious, modern and efficient ships in the luxury class. The small ships

are not and Seabourn would want to focus their attention on the future economies of the business and not on the past.

So if another line buys the small ships and outfits them as they see fit, well, that is to their benefit and to that of Seabourn... The Sea Goddess ships are looking long in the tooth to me and the 3 small Seabourn ships could be used to reinvigorate their stable. Or maybe another firm has a vision for them.

In any case, I would expect a change in ownership has been in the planning since Odyssey was launched and loyal customers have been exposed to Odyssey, Sojourn and Quest. Any expansion of Seabourn beyond the 3 larger ships, as well as any revision of what the larger ships offer now, would be constrained by the dual standards on offer now between the small and large ship experience today. It's logical that we see a change in ownership when the right buyer comes along and the deal works for both parties.

Watch this space.

Happy cruising!

Wellll.... when I was on SeaDream a few months ago, I did hear from someone in a leadership capacity that a new ship was in the works... But that is hardly engraved in stone. I would like to see SeaDream add to its fleet so they can branch out to new territories.

But I am also curious about Seabourn, even though I am a fan of smaller ships.

Far be it for me to be pedantic; but the original topic of this post appears to have been hijacked. In fact, many of the recent comments are "off topic".

Nevertheless, both topics are worthy of discussion . But perhaps on two separate threads?

However if the "rules" have changed and we can now conflate topics, fine by me. Advice from Dan would be helpful.

Far be it for me to be pedantic; but the original topic of this post appears to have been hijacked. In fact, many of the recent comments are "off topic".

Nevertheless, both topics are worthy of discussion . But perhaps on two separate threads?

However if the "rules" have changed and we can now conflate topics, fine by me. Advice from Dan would be helpful.

Yes, this thread has been "hijacked"! (I personally added to it, and apologize). Lets get back on topic, and if one wishes to further discuss the other topic, I encourage a new thread.

Host Dan

Archived