Your opinion please - Chef's Table with a young teen

kimgoblue

My husband and I enjoyed the Chef's Table on Caribbean Princess in 2010, so this question is less about what to expect from the experience and more about what other diners would consider appropriate.

In April, we will be sailing on the Ruby Princess with our 13 year old son. He's quite a foodie (both as a fledgling cook and a diner), and we are considering signing the three of us up for a chance at Chef's Table. I have no concerns about his ability to enjoy the experience or behave appropriately, but I am concerned about what our potential Chef's Table table mates would think. Since I can't ask them, I would like your opinions -- if you showed up for Chef's Table and one of your fellow diners was a 13 year old boy, how would you feel? Would you feel that your adult evening was compromised by his presence, or would it not matter to you?

Your honesty is appreciated!

Unless they have changed their policy, I would say you would be politely turned down.

We have been to the Chef's Table three times and were told on one of those occasions during the interview process that they prefer only adults at the table. I believe it was a New England cruise where there were alot of families requesting the seating.

Not a problem for me. I'd be thrilled to see a teen who takes an interest in food (and I think the Chef's staff would be as well).

Given that I suspect most others at the CT will be foodies or spouses of foodies, I think they will understand.

Our local college use to have a monthly gourmet dinner that their culinary students prepared and we took our young son several times. He enjoyed it and no other adults seemed to mind although we were at separate tables.

I think it is wonderful that you would want to include him - too many parents these days don't seem to want their kids around. Since our son was a baby, we always took him with us to dinner.

I hope Princess allows him to attend.

Anyone who would look askance at a polite 13 year old who is intrigued by the culinary arts is not someone that you need to be concerned with. If they have a problem with it, then it is their issue. You shouldn't base your vacation experience on what some condescending old coot might think. But honestly. I doubt that such a person exists on Princess.

My husband and I enjoyed the Chef's Table on Caribbean Princess in 2010, so this question is less about what to expect from the experience and more about what other diners would consider appropriate.

In April, we will be sailing on the Ruby Princess with our 13 year old son. He's quite a foodie (both as a fledgling cook and a diner), and we are considering signing the three of us up for a chance at Chef's Table. I have no concerns about his ability to enjoy the experience or behave appropriately, but I am concerned about what our potential Chef's Table table mates would think. Since I can't ask them, I would like your opinions -- if you showed up for Chef's Table and one of your fellow diners was a 13 year old boy, how would you feel? Would you feel that your adult evening was compromised by his presence, or would it not matter to you?

Your honesty is appreciated!

I would have no qualms about it. Obviously he will not enjoy the alcoholic beverages but I imagine he would enjoy the rest.

We encounterd that exact situation a couple of years ago. A Mom with two sons--one of whom matched the description of your son--joined our CT group. Noone voiced any concerns. On the contrary, most enjoyed having the youngster with us and learned from his questions to the chef. I had fun talking to him about our favorite Food Network shows.:)

As someone who cruises with our kids (now 15 and 10) let me say how pleasantly surprised I am by all the positive responses you have gotten. We have done Chef's Table one time, and we would not have been the least bit bothered by a well mannered 13 year old. (We have not taken our kids due to the cost, but we regularly take them to the specialty restaurants.)

I also say go for it! I hope Princess allows it.

A 13 year old would be old enough to appreciate the experience and wise enough to know how to behave. I would be surprised if anyone has a problem with a well mannered teen.

The Chef's Table is a dining experience. As long as he is allowed, I say go for it. I don't know if there is an age limit as wine is served. FYI, the price has increased to $95/pp.

Will be on the CB next week, 7 day cruise out of SJ, do you know what night the Chef's Table normally is? And, don't they do it just once during a 7 day?

I agree with all the others, I definitely would love to share a table with a 13-year-old, well-mannered foodie. I love working with kids (I sometimes find them much more interesting to converse with than adults) ;) and hope that you are able to get in and bring in. Looking forward to your report after your cruise!

Archived