Winter 2012 finds HIMSELF Live on the Nieuw Amsterdam

Himself

Did you feel all the CC friends sending out good wishes to you while you were celebrating the Mass and we were watching the Nieuw Amsterdam sail away? There were 2557 people watching when the NA entered the channel. We all waved too but I guess you didn't see that.;)

Did you feel all the CC friends sending out good wishes to you while you were celebrating the Mass and we were watching the Nieuw Amsterdam sail away? There were 2557 people watching when the NA entered the channel. We all waved too but I guess you didn't see that.;)

ditto - all our hearts are hoping you have a great time

Weather was delightful in HMC It was in low 70's and sunny. A good time was had by all.

I can confirm that at Muster yesterday it was announed that if anyone REFUSED to take part in Muster they would not be allowed to sail with us. Suddenly a lot more came out for muster. People were listening during the muster. It was taken a lot more seriously than I have seen it in a long time. Wish you were all with us on the beautiful and elegant m.s Nieuw Amsterdam as we head to Grand Caymen

Father,great hearing from you and that you enjoying your well deserved cruise. Refreshing to hear about Muster Drill.

I would like cruise lines to get broader Muster Drills and include some different scenarios in the briefing. Such as what you should do if Lifeboats were not usable on Port or Starboard sides and alternatives.

Father,great hearing from you and that you enjoying your well deserved cruise. Refreshing to hear about Muster Drill.

I would like cruise lines to get broader Muster Drills and include some different scenarios in the briefing. Such as what you should do if Lifeboats were not usable on Port or Starboard sides and alternatives.

Reminds me of the story of the lady who went for a plane ride in a small plane and the pilot had a heart attack and died. The lady called the tower and screamed "May day, may day, may day" and the tower came in assuring her that they had talked many non fliers down before. The Controler asked "What is your hight and position?" She responded "I am in the front seat and I am five foot four."

The controler said "Repeat after me, O my God, I am sorry for all my sins..."

That might be a good reaction to the senario you present.

Reminds me of the story of the lady who went for a plane ride in a small plane and the pilot had a heart attack and died. The lady called the tower and screamed "May day, may day, may day" and the tower came in assuring her that they had talked many non fliers down before. The Controler asked "What is your hight and position?" She responded "I am in the front seat and I am five foot four."

Great story Father and I agree we would be praying.

Ten people died on I-75 here in Florida yesterday. You just never know when it's your time.

After any accident you can bet we will be safer than ever the next time we cruise. Got to wait until November unless you need a retired altar boy to help Serve Mass?

Weather was delightful in HMC It was in low 70's and sunny. A good time was had by all.

I can confirm that at Muster yesterday it was announed that if anyone REFUSED to take part in Muster they would not be allowed to sail with us. Suddenly a lot more came out for muster. People were listening during the muster. It was taken a lot more seriously than I have seen it in a long time. Wish you were all with us on the beautiful and elegant m.s Nieuw Amsterdam as we head to Grand Caymen

It is pleasing to know that people were listening.

From the VHF radio messages that I have heard from the Port Everglades web cam site and from Father's messages, it does appear that at least HAL has become more serious about the Muster Drill that they--and other cruise lines--have held. No attendance was taken on my most recent HAL cruises. That maybe has changed, thank goodness! While many, many others will disagree, including those in cruise line management positions, I STILL cannot understand why the United States Coast Guard ever, ever agreed to allow for Muster Drills to take place while passengers were not REQUIRED to put on their lifejackets while attending the drill.

As unfortunate as the disaster of the Costa Concordia has been for all crew and passengers involved, it may well serve as a wake-up call for all the regulatory agencies involved in making sure travel by sea is safe and----are your listening?---the United States Coast Guard. Not requiring lifejackets to be worn to Muster Drills has always made me think that the Coast Guard is listening more to the Corporate wishes of the Cruise Lines rather than what is truly best for the safety at sea of the guests--not the safety in returning to one's cabin and the possible tripping over untied lifejacket's straps of your's or someone else's lifejacket.

I assume then that HAL has gone back to taking attendance at the Muster Drill. Did you have to wear your life jackets like in the olden days or were you told to leave them in your cabin?

Love the story....reminds me when I was boarding a small plan in Juneau this past summer. (first time on a small plane for me and I was nervous) I took one look at the pilot, and thought...oh my...he is a bit up in age.....I was hoping and praying he wouldn't have a heart attack. Then as I spoke with the two other passengers I was much relieved.....both were locals and both had their own planes. I felt much better. ;)

Have a great cruise Father!!!! Looking forward to more of your live posts.

We are now at Sea and in HMC although I have not gotten over to the Island yet but I may go over for a bit after lunch. Had a nice overnight ride over here to HMC. Doing well and more later.

Father-

Here's wishing you the most wonderful weather!

Enjoy those amazing books. :)

Eat lunch at Tamarind for us!!!

Dawnielle :)

Beautiful day today. We are sailing by South East tip of Cuba. Sea is Blue and the weather is sunny and warm. It is just delightful. Wish you were all here. There was a meeting of the Cruise Critic members on board. They are delightful people--all! Wish all on the board were here.

Beautiful day today. We are sailing by South East tip of Cuba. Sea is Blue and the weather is sunny and warm. It is just delightful. Wish you were all here. There was a meeting of the Cruise Critic members on board. They are delightful people--all! Wish all on the board were here.

I don't think there's enough room on the ship for us all Father;) Enjoy that warm weather :):)

Sounds great. I have never had the desire to cruise the Caribbean. Maybe your experience will sway me to try it.

Archived