Impatiently waiting . . .

lawyerrose

Just called my travel agent at Avoya, she checked and said nothing for an upgrade yet. But she did say that usually this close to sailing time (10 days) we are sure to be bumped to something very good....Lets hope she is telling it like it is FOR REAL!!:rolleyes:

Just called my travel agent at Avoya, she checked and said nothing for an upgrade yet. But she did say that usually this close to sailing time (10 days) we are sure to be bumped to something very good....Lets hope she is telling it like it is FOR REAL!!:rolleyes:

Keep your hopes reasonable, and don't let them get sky high. Getting bumped to something very good is never "sure".

I once booked a guarantee as there was nothing in a decent location in my category when I booked. It was close to sailing, down to low single digits, when I got the assignment---the category I booked, and a terrible location at that.

Fortunately, my excellent TA was able to get me moved to a cabin in a better location---same category, but less walking. Bless her for that.

I know better than to get to excited, will just wait and see what happens. More excited just to be going to the Caribbean than where I will lay my head at night..;)

Keep your hopes reasonable, and don't let them get sky high. Getting bumped to something very good is never "sure".

I once booked a guarantee as there was nothing in a decent location in my category when I booked. It was close to sailing, down to low single digits, when I got the assignment---the category I booked, and a terrible location at that.

Fortunately, my excellent TA was able to get me moved to a cabin in a better location---same category, but less walking. Bless her for that.

We are at 9 days and patiently waiting. As long as I have a clean cabin with a working bathroom, I am a happy traveler. We have done guarantee with almost all of our cruises and have rarely had any problems with the assigned cabins. I am just excited to see sea and sun.

now and still waiting!! :eek::confused::(

Up sell offers should be going out early this week for your cruise.

We got our Upsell offer either Wednesday or Thursday this past week, right around the 24 or 25 day mark.

After the Up Sell offers are made, probably around 21 days, is when I expect the Free Upgrade offers start being made.

I have 20 days until we cruise and no one on my roll call has mentioned any upgrade offers being made to them, as of this morning. Since today is a work day, I expect to hear differently by tomorrow morning at the latest from fellow CC'rs who are open to the upgrades:)

Joanie

After the Up Sell offers are made, probably around 21 days, is when I expect the Free Upgrade offers start being made.

I have 20 days until we cruise and no one on my roll call has mentioned any upgrade offers being made to them, as of this morning. Since today is a work day, I expect to hear differently by tomorrow morning at the latest from fellow CC'rs who are open to the upgrades:)

Joanie

??? We've never had an "upgrade offer"; we've just been given upgrades without notice. If you haven't specified "do not upgrade", why would HAL need to call you to offer something they already know you'd accept?

??? We've never had an "upgrade offer"; we've just been given upgrades without notice. If you haven't specified "do not upgrade", why would HAL need to call you to offer something they already know you'd accept?

You have been a member of CC for enough years to know the answer to your own question.

Please do not throw the OP and any other fairly new poster off track:)

I am sure the Powers that be know exactly what they are doing when they do it and neither you nor I need to confuse anyone else with any further discussions of what you are asking:)

Joanie

I am sure the Powers that be know exactly what they are doing when they do it and neither you nor I need to confuse anyone else with any further discussions of what you are asking:)

That's just it. HAL does already know if you'd accept an upgrade, and there's no need for them to contact you. Giving people the idea that HAL is going to be calling them to offer a free upgrade sounds misleading to me.

NOOOooooooooooooo, Mr. Bill!!!

ha, ha, ha, aging yourself, young pps would most likely not

know what you are referring. tooo funny and yes aging myself.

hey we still have the book and floopy red vinyl 45 for mr bill.

Guess I gave myself away, huh? :o

Oh well, there are worse things!;)

Up sell offers should be going out early this week for your cruise.

We got our Upsell offer either Wednesday or Thursday this past week, right around the 24 or 25 day mark.

Joanie

Joanie, it doesn't really work like that. I've had upsell offers twice (2 different cruises) in the 7 days prior to the sailing date. They've been great deals and we jumped at them. We've also had upsell offers earlier than that, but turned them down as they were too pricey. We always mark our booking with "do not upgrade" as we pick a cabin location that's good for us, so we just get upsell offers, which is fine.

now and still waiting!! :eek::confused::(
So you now have 28 days or less to wait! :)

Right - free upgrades aren't "offered", and HAL won't contact you in advance. They're simply assigned at a higher level than you paid for.

So you now have 28 days or less to wait! :)

Right - free upgrades aren't "offered", and HAL won't contact you in advance. They're simply assigned at a higher level than you paid for.

Cat or Ann, I thought if you got an Upgrade offer it was made through email or TA?? Not sure, I guess I was misunderstanding the CC members who tell us of their upgrades. I only know my experiences directly with HAL.

Sorry Lawyerrose and others for my inaccuracies:o

Joanie

Cat or Ann, I thought if you got an Upgrade offer it was made through email or TA??
We've done 8 guarantees and gotten an upgrade from what we booked on every one. We were never contacted in advance of the assignment. UpSELLS are offered, free upgrades are just "done".

(In fact, we've gotten nine upgrades without prior notice, since we were re-assigned once just 3 days before sailing.)

well here I still am with not knowing what cabin I will be in??? Spoke to my travel agaent agian, and all she could say is that when it is this late (We cruise in 5 more days) that it ususally means a good upgrade to be made when we check in...I told her I founf this hard to believe but she said it has always seemed to happen with other cruisers...I told her I would just have to hold her liable if I dont get a roon....LOL....or if I get a worse cabin...how much worse can a gaurentee HH be???:confused:

... that when it is this late (We cruise in 5 more days) that it ususally means a good upgrade to be made when we check in...
Yes, it's commonly true that a late assignment means an upgrade, but whether it is a "good" one is sometimes arguable. I know of one case of an assignment 3 days before sailing that was exactly the same level that was booked.

Yes Joanie, upsells come through your TA unless you book direct with HAL. Upgrades (if you did not mark "no upgrade" on your booking) are done automatically, they don't consult with you or your TA.

Thank you Ann, Cat and John for explaining to me the difference and how they are normally done:)

I've had only 1 Guarantee booking and that was our 2nd cruise in which we'd not specified no upgrade. We went from a VF to VA upgrade and I hated it (HAL PCC tried to talk me out of the guarantee but I thought I knew better...Duh!!)

Since then we are booked as no upgrade but have had one upgrade offer after that (via email) which I turned down. When I asked my PCC she said that came from Inventory and since I'd not told her to place us on the no upgrade list that is why we received the offer. I have since made sure that we are on the no upgrade list:) (Joanie got smarter with each cruise:D)

This last week I did get the up sell offer from the exact same email address as the last upgrade offer " No_Reply_UG_resForms@hollandamerica.com ".

Lors, In the last 2 weeks another CC member reported they had received a fabulous upgrade at the pier!!

Joanie

Upgrades (if you did not mark "no upgrade" on your booking) are done automatically, they don't consult with you or your TA.

Sometimes upgrades are done automatically even if you have marked your booking "no upgrade".

We've done 8 guarantees and gotten an upgrade from what we booked on every one. We were never contacted in advance of the assignment. UpSELLS are offered, free upgrades are just "done".

(In fact, we've gotten nine upgrades without prior notice, since we were re-assigned once just 3 days before sailing.)

Holy cow!!!! I guess bottom line is that the later we get our assignment, the greater chance it will be a nice upgrade???

Holy cow!!!! I guess bottom line is that the later we get our assignment, the greater chance it will be a nice upgrade???
It seems that way a lot of the time, but not always. As I said a few posts back, I know of one case of an assignment 3 days before sailing that was exactly the same level that was booked.

In our case on the Nieuw Amsterdam we booked an H Gty, and 10 or 11 days out we were assigned a C Outside on the Main deck. Then 3 days out we were moved to a V on the Navigation deck. We could have been the beneficiary of someone's cancellation.

Sometimes upgrades are done automatically even if you have marked your booking "no upgrade".

Never had that happen yet, so can only go by my own experience. Wonder why they would give you the option to say "no upgrades" if they simply ignore that request. I would be mightily PO'd if I got upgraded without agreeing to it after having carefully picked out my cabin a year ahead.

Archived