cruise deals during peak times?

designgirl

Is there any hope of getting a good deal on a cruise during peak times? My husband and I are planning a cruise for our 15th anniversary, but he is a teacher so he can only travel in the summer, winter break, spring break etc.

Any tips on finding a good deal?

Erica

Hi Erica,

I'm at teacher too and ran into the same problem. It really depends what ship you want. We ended up booking our RCI cruise through the British RCI website and saved about $1200 for the week before Easter. Sometimes paying in a foreign currency can help, because different deals are offered in different parts of the world that are not as holiday driven as our US schools.

Carnival has some relatively inexpensive cruises from Florida out of Miami, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades) and Port Canaveral. Normally the last two weeks in August you can usually find some deals on seven days cruises to either the Eastern or Western Carribean. The Carnival Liberty and Carnival Valor are wonderful ships with outstanding crews. I cruised on both in March 2011 and August 2011. They both leave from Miami. The Carnival Liberty does alternating seven trips on Saturdays and the Carnival Valor does an alternating schedule of six and eight day cruises every two weeks. The Carnival Dream does the seven day alternating schedule from Port Canaveral and the Carnival Legend does a seven day Western Caribbean cruise from Tampa. Prices are always higher during the month of July and the first two weeks of August. Join myself and my family on the Carnival Dream Western Caribbean cruise on August 4th,2012.

There are some lower priced cruises in peak seasons but not nearly as good a deal as in the low off season. For the Caribbean November to Chistmas and beginning of January are usually low priced depending on how the ships are filling. The prices are always higher during school holidays as that is the peak demand.

Absolutely!

Our first Christmas cruise (Carnival Imagination) was booked 2 days in advance for an amazing price.

Our 9-night Christmas cruise (Royal Caribbean Grandeur) was booked about a month in advance - also an excellent steal!

The 7-night Southern Caribbean cruise we took over spring break on the Serenade was an amazing, unbelievable price (resident rate)!!! Really - this is the one we brag about!

And then our 9-night Christmas cruise on the Carnival Dream was a great price.

I watch the last-minute cruise sales, and there are really good prices for cruises leaving from San Juan. Of course, then you have to pay for airfare - but if you have to fly, anyway, it really isn't a big deal. Airfare to San Juan usually isn't very bad.

Just keep searching. I recommend checking several different travel sites - and always enter your zipcode for resident rates. We also qualify for senior rates (at least one person 55+ for most cruiselines), which are quite common. Past cruiser rates are actually what I see the least of.

Because peak period cruises are virtually certain to sell out as sailing datre nears, it is best to start checking prices two years out -- then, when you find something you can live with - book it. If prices drop before final payment, you can request adjustment. If flying to a port is also involved - start checking prices as soon as schedules open up -- and again book early rather than late.

If a good deal during a peak (schools out) season is most important to you , wait until after final payment passes .

You must :

1)Be flexiable about ship , itinerary ,sailing date ,cabin & dining preferences.

2)Not require decent airfare.

3) Accept that you may find not find your good deal or availability at all.

Otherwise , book early , monitor you sailing for better rates prior to final.

That will assure you of your prefered ship/sailing/cabin/dining preferences.

Looking forward to your cruise is half the fun of it:)

Carnival has some relatively inexpensive cruises from Florida out of Miami, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades) and Port Canaveral. Normally the last two weeks in August you can usually find some deals on seven days cruises to either the Eastern or Western Carribean. The Carnival Liberty and Carnival Valor are wonderful ships with outstanding crews. I cruised on both in March 2011 and August 2011. They both leave from Miami. The Carnival Liberty does alternating seven trips on Saturdays and the Carnival Valor does an alternating schedule of six and eight day cruises every two weeks. The Carnival Dream does the seven day alternating schedule from Port Canaveral and the Carnival Legend does a seven day Western Caribbean cruise from Tampa. Prices are always higher during the month of July and the first two weeks of August. Join myself and my family on the Carnival Dream Western Caribbean cruise on August 4th,2012.

Thanks, this is what I was looking at to begin with. We want a 5 day minimum to the Carribean (most likley) and Carnival seems to have the best rates. I will keep my eye out for good deals. Our 15th anniversary is Aug. 2013 so I'm probably a little early in the planning, but I am too excited. :)

If a good deal during a peak (schools out) season is most important to you , wait until after final payment passes .

You must :

1)Be flexiable about ship , itinerary ,sailing date ,cabin & dining preferences.

2)Not require decent airfare.

3) Accept that you may find not find your good deal or availability at all.

Otherwise , book early , monitor you sailing for better rates prior to final.

That will assure you of your prefered ship/sailing/cabin/dining preferences.

Looking forward to your cruise is half the fun of it:)

Unfortunately this is my husbands first year as a teacher at his current school, so he doesn't have the flexibility to take vacation any other time.

And thanks I have been "dreaming" of a cruise for a while now. I joined this board in 2007 and I think, finally, the cruise might actually become a reality.

I generally enjoy the planning part of a vacation as much as the actual vacation, so I am having a lot of fun looking forward to the cruise.

Because peak period cruises are virtually certain to sell out as sailing datre nears, it is best to start checking prices two years out -- then, when you find something you can live with - book it. If prices drop before final payment, you can request adjustment. If flying to a port is also involved - start checking prices as soon as schedules open up -- and again book early rather than late.

I guess I'm not crazy to start looking now then! Our 15th anniversary is Aug. 2013. So it sounds like now is a good time to start looking at prices.

it is not too early to shop for cruises, but it is too early to shop for airfare. if you know your schedules, start watching prices for cruises now. Put down a (refundable) deposit if you see a deal that looks good.

I must mention that every once in a while cruise lines will change their offerings...every cruise line does it occasionally. for example, ships may be chartered or redeployed to another part of the world. Or a ship may be sent for mechanical repairs. Such events are relatively uncommon, but be aware there is a small chance the cruise line will throw a monkey wrench in your plans...Therefore, make all the refundable arrangements you wish, but I suggest you wait until closer to the cruise to buy any nonrefundable air or hotel. do not wait too late to reserve the flights when prices skyrocket, but be think twice before booking airfare say 11 months out unless it is refundable or changeable.

Advance bookings are often the way to go, especially for a milestone anniversary. Your other, much riskier choice, is to wait and hope for a last minute deal...That tends to work out better for people with more flexible schedules like retirees or for those within driving distance of a port.

it is not too early to shop for cruises, but it is too early to shop for airfare. if you know your schedules, start watching prices for cruises now. Put down a (refundable) deposit if you see a deal that looks good.

I must mention that every once in a while cruise lines will change their offerings...every cruise line does it occasionally. for example, ships may be chartered or redeployed to another part of the world. Or a ship may be sent for mechanical repairs. Such events are relatively uncommon, but be aware there is a small chance the cruise line will throw a monkey wrench in your plans...Therefore, make all the refundable arrangements you wish, but I suggest you wait until closer to the cruise to buy any nonrefundable air or hotel. do not wait too late to reserve the flights when prices skyrocket, but be think twice before booking airfare say 11 months out unless it is refundable or changeable.

Advance bookings are often the way to go, especially for a milestone anniversary. Your other, much riskier choice, is to wait and hope for a last minute deal...That tends to work out better for people with more flexible schedules like retirees or for those within driving distance of a port.

Thanks for all the tips. We didn't live near family until two years ago, so we have spent a lot of time shopping for airfare. Not to worried about that. I am already looking at cruise lines and itineraries :)

I always think that legacy airlines (ie, American, United, Delta, etc) try to stick it to those who want to book right when fares are released about 11 months out, so definitely don't feel a rush to book airfare unless the price is right.

The airlines know that people who book many months in advance usually need to fly on a particular day - so of course they price seats higher early on. Then, as flight date nears, they adjust prices to reflect demand and remaining available seats. It is, of course, possible that prices will only go up in the months before a flight 9especially if there is a jump in fuel costs - as is the case now). So, unless you are a gambler, you should of course monitor prices - and as soon as you see a fare you can live with, book it early on.

Archived