How long should I allow to go through customs, etc. in Miami?

Cafabi

We will be getting off the Eclipse in Miami on Sat. March 17. It is our first time on Celebrity. How long should I allow to get bags and go through customs? Which comes first (getting bags or customs)?

Also, what time do I need to be out of my cabin? Thanks.

I just did customs at MIA 2 weeks ago. I was amazed at how much you had to move and how long it took to clear customs, get the luggage, recheck the luggage, and get to the connecting gate. It took more than an hour....and There weren't any lines. The longest wait for for the luggage. The customs area in MIA is enormous. You have to take a train withing the area. It's HUGE. Allow at least 2 hours between planes.

I just did customs at MIA 2 weeks ago. I was amazed at how much you had to move and how long it took to clear customs, get the luggage, recheck the luggage, and get to the connecting gate. It took more than an hour....and There weren't any lines. The longest wait for for the luggage. The customs area in MIA is enormous. You have to take a train withing the area. It's HUGE. Allow at least 2 hours between planes.

Is this at the port or in the airport?

Huh? The OP is inquiring about clearing customs when getting off the ship in Miami.

To the OP: I'm sorry to say that my one experience with getting off a ship in Miami wasn't too good. We stood in line forever to clear customs. At least an hour. Apparently the TSA couldn't be bothered to send enough agents for the amount of passengers arriving. And they apparently haven't grasped the concept used in Europe: one line for residents of the country and one line for nonresidents. That would speed things up considerably for residents.

Once through customs, we had no problem finding our bags and getting out of there.

Let's hope you have a better experience!

P.S. Passengers are asked to vacate their cabins by 8:00 a.m. The crew needs to get them ready for the next occupants.

Just got off the Eclipse yesterday morning. We chose the early disembark (where you carry your own bags off). We were told to meet outside the main theater at 6:30 am. We went down and got in line about 6:15, a few people were already in line. At 6:30 they opened the door and let us out. Since we were among the first off the ship there really were no lines at Customs. We were pretty much waved through with a quick look of our passports and we were out. We caught a cab outside and were at Miami Airport by a little after 7:00 am. I would guess it would take longer to get through customs later in the morning when the majority of passengers get off. Hopefully someone else can post their experience as well.

We will be getting off the Eclipse in Miami on Sat. March 17. It is our first time on Celebrity. How long should I allow to get bags and go through customs? Which comes first (getting bags or customs)?

Also, what time do I need to be out of my cabin? Thanks.

In Miami you get your bags first and then go through customs. It can be a hassle, the later you depart the ship the longer the customs line are and they can be very long. Also, please note the pier in Miami that Royal and Celebrity use are systems similar to airports. Your bags will be on a carousel and if you have more than one, odds are they won't be together.

If you need a hasty exit, get luggage tags for an early departure.

Is it true that you fill out a questionnaire once onboard regarding your departure plans? If so, I wonder why they bother to ask during the online check-in process on My Celebrity.

Just got off the Millie. Left with our luggage at 9:15, was outside the pier at 9:25.

There is absolutely no reason to give them your luggage.

I originally planned to do self-disembarkation, then decided to let them wrestle the bags. After reading the replies, though, I am wondering if I had the right idea in the first place.

Raineybabe, what did you do with your luggage until you got off the ship?

Can the steward get started cleaning the room with our bags (and only our bags) still there?

SAS is picking us up around 10:00. My Celebrity wants to know the departure time. Am I correct that they mean SAS departure time and not when I want to depart the ship?

It sounds like I need to allow more time if I "hand over" my bags the night before than if I carry them off myself, correct? SAS wants us to call them when we begin customs, so they and Celebrity must have some idea of how long this usually takes. But, in my experience, they usually go by the worst case scenario which results in a "hurry up and wait" situation. I am trying to avoid that. Thanks for your help.

TO LJFERRIS,

Is it true that you fill out a questionnaire once onboard regarding your departure plans? If so, I wonder why they bother to ask during the online check-in process on My Celebrity.

I truly think that Celebrity asks about people's flights & departure info onboard for 3 reasons.

1- In the case of International Cruisers, it provides to Customs & Immigration traceable info on when you are coming into the country, and when you are going out of the country. US Customs & Border Protection Services needing to know a whole whack of info these days about folks BEFORE they travel (everyone for a cruise, non-North Americans to fly)

2- Also, means that even if you don't fill out the Departure Questionnaire on the ship (not mandatory... lol, some people forget to do it... lol, including us) the cruiseline still has a record online of your flights anyhow

3- And the 3rd Reason I think is to meet a CDC / Customs & Immigration Requirement... if someone comes off the ship ill (norovirus) then it means that you can be tracked so that you are not getting onto a plane. We had a recent posting here on the CC CELEBRITY BOARD about how a Traveller from the UK was delivered to a Hotel by Celebrity, and told they were not to fly for several days... and the Traveller said it seemed to be all integrated together... Celebrity - Customs & Immigration - CDC - and Airline home.

It really makes a lot of sense when you think about it.

As for how to leave...

Mr Sloop and I sailed on the Solstice, in and out of Fort Lauderdale. Originally we considered holding our bags and walking off with them in the AM... but we were aiming for a LATE walk off not an early one. In the end we put our bags out the night before, and so we only had our carryons to manage on Debarkation Day. When everyone else was heading down (just before 8 AM) we were heading up... to the Oceanview Cafe and Backdeck for a bite of Breakfast. We hung out until just after 9 AM. Then because our "pre chosen departure time" had come and gone, we just walked off the ship... and the crowds were gone. We found our bags in the terminal (lol they had been moved... from the area marked # 3 to into the 20s... as that was the numbers they were at now). And stood in line maybe 5 or so minutes for Customs... then out the door, and into a cab. Very very painless. I would highly recommend.

PS... We saw one lady & husband who had ALL their bags with them, sitting in the Oceanview Cafe, they looked very stressed... wheeling around large suitcases (or worse yet climbing stairs with them) is no fun. I was happy we chose to let them go the night before.

Cheers!

On our last cruise out of Miami it took us over an hour to get our bags and get through Customs (and this was around 9:30 am when theoretically most people would have already been off). At one point we stood in line for close to 25 minutes not moving at all. Based on what I have read on this thread so far it is obviously very different cruise to cruise. We were on a cruise out of FLL where they completely held up all disembarkation until after 9:00 for reasons they never chose to share with anyone. Alot depends on Customs and how they choose to manage it. I may be somewhat cynical, but it seems to me that Customs does not really give a rats patoot about how many passengers are waiting and for how long. If they encounter any issues, if they hold up the whole ship then they hold up the whole ship. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, perhaps regulations require this. I am of the more cynical belief that within the confines of their job responsibilities they tend to take the path of least resistance - for them. My biggest frustration is that they never communicate what the delay is, nor give you any idea of when it might be resolved. Ugh! At the same time, I have been on other cruises out of MIA or FLL where we were out and in a taxi in 20 minutes. You just never know.

TO LJFERRIS,

I truly think that Celebrity asks about people's flights & departure info onboard for 3 reasons.

1- In the case of International Cruisers, it provides to Customs & Immigration traceable info on when you are coming into the country, and when you are going out of the country. US Customs & Border Protection Services needing to know a whole whack of info these days about folks BEFORE they travel (everyone for a cruise, non-North Americans to fly)

2- Also, means that even if you don't fill out the Departure Questionnaire on the ship (not mandatory... lol, some people forget to do it... lol, including us) the cruiseline still has a record online of your flights anyhow

3- And the 3rd Reason I think is to meet a CDC / Customs & Immigration Requirement... if someone comes off the ship ill (norovirus) then it means that you can be tracked so that you are not getting onto a plane. We had a recent posting here on the CC CELEBRITY BOARD about how a Traveller from the UK was delivered to a Hotel by Celebrity, and told they were not to fly for several days... and the Traveller said it seemed to be all integrated together... Celebrity - Customs & Immigration - CDC - and Airline home.

It really makes a lot of sense when you think about it.

As for how to leave...

Mr Sloop and I sailed on the Solstice, in and out of Fort Lauderdale. Originally we considered holding our bags and walking off with them in the AM... but we were aiming for a LATE walk off not an early one. In the end we put our bags out the night before, and so we only had our carryons to manage on Debarkation Day. When everyone else was heading down (just before 8 AM) we were heading up... to the Oceanview Cafe and Backdeck for a bite of Breakfast. We hung out until just after 9 AM. Then because our "pre chosen departure time" had come and gone, we just walked off the ship... and the crowds were gone. We found our bags in the terminal (lol they had been moved... from the area marked # 3 to into the 20s... as that was the numbers they were at now). And stood in line maybe 5 or so minutes for Customs... then out the door, and into a cab. Very very painless. I would highly recommend.

PS... We saw one lady & husband who had ALL their bags with them, sitting in the Oceanview Cafe, they looked very stressed... wheeling around large suitcases (or worse yet climbing stairs with them) is no fun. I was happy we chose to let them go the night before.

Cheers!

Thanks for the info. I think that you are right about the redundancy with the departure information.

We would like to do something similar. Our flight is not until 1:00 so we will be in no rush to get off. What time did you give them for your "pre chosen departure time"? I have seen posters say on other threads that they left their bags in the room while they ate, but gave them room steward the go-ahead to start cleaning. This is what I would like to do, but don't want to commit a faux pas.

Thanks for the info. I think that you are right about the redundancy with the departure information.

We would like to do something similar. Our flight is not until 1:00 so we will be in no rush to get off. What time did you give them for your "pre chosen departure time"? I have seen posters say on other threads that they left their bags in the room while they ate, but gave them room steward the go-ahead to start cleaning. This is what I would like to do, but don't want to commit a faux pas.

HI LJFERRIS,

On the Solstice (Fort Lauderdale) we never did fill out form the Departure Form that came to our cabin... like I said we essentially got distracted having a good time, and forgot.

So Celebrity "chose" for us a Departure time of aprox 7:50 AM if I recall correctly (we had Luggage Group # 3 Tags)

Don't have a clue how they came to that determination, considering they knew we weren't flying that day at all (perhaps because we were Concierge Class and they advertise that we are one of the categories that get priority Embarkation and Debarkation)

Lol, all I know is when Mr Sloop heard before 8 AM, he laughed it off... he said it would be hard enough for him to be out of the cabin by that time... let alone leave the ship (Can't say either of us are Morning People)

We didn't have a flight that day... we flew out the next evening... so timing wasn't a big deal for us.

We considered the info we read here on the CC CELEBRITY BOARD about making "a deal" with our Room Steward to hold our bags in our room until we were ready to walk off the ship, but in the end decided against it (she was pretty adamant that we would have to leave by 8 AM)...

So we put the bags out, and complied with her wishes as well...

Like I said, when the whole world was going down to get off before 8 AM we were going up to the Oceanview Cafe (Mr Sloop in search of some Coffee and P&Q... as there were some very heated discussions that we overheard at the Elevators)

In the end, we missed all the drama... be that short tempered passengers, crying kids, or angry folks hauling their bags down 10 or more flights of stairs for "self disembarkation"

Ours was as smooth as silk. Infact I would do again... exactly the same way... stay until we are pretty much told to leave.

Would NEVER opt for self-disembarkation at a very early hour... from the CC Reviews I've read recently, it is a real nightmare... but then again what can you expect when aprox 2000 of 2800 passengers seem to all want to leave at the same exact moment in time.

CRAZY !!

Cheers!

You really do mess the process up if you do not go at the time asked on your letter or very near it. They have the colour groups limited in number so they can attempt to manage numbers going through customs at any one moment.

We have come off at Miami at least 5 times and the same number for Fort Lauderdale both of which can be crowded. Best time through 20 minutes from gangway to car worst 80 minutes. And it terms of when our colour tag was called from 5 mins early to 1 hour late

The info on the disembarkation form is not redundant they use it to try and get almost 3000 people into some semblance of order - no easy task Let us not forget what has to happen behind the scenes.

So fill in your forms be precise about your requirements even if it is to say last group off please. And let's help our hard working crew on their very busy change over day and go when we are asked to, not before or long after

You really do mess the process up if you do not go at the time asked on your letter or very near it. They have the colour groups limited in number so they can attempt to manage numbers going through customs at any one moment.

So fill in your forms be precise about your requirements even if it is to say last group off please. And let's help our hard working crew on their very busy change over day and go when we are asked to, not before or long after

Exactly. Can you imagine the mess if everyone did that? Really poor advice to post on a public message board.

Phil

I have seen posters say on other threads that they left their bags in the room while they ate, but gave them room steward the go-ahead to start cleaning. This is what I would like to do, but don't want to commit a faux pas.

Your room steward cannot start to work on your room completely until all your items are removed. They can do bits and pieces if they choose but they prefer to do a room from start to finish rather than break off. Where there is an issue at embarkation re a room, it is often because the previous guest upset the routine

You have seen plenty on these boards regarding cleaning of rooms to avoid virus spreads - this happens all the time, it is just the degree to which it happens on change over day that differs. One thing they cannot start is any part of the deep clean where the previous guest still has items in the room and is going to return to the room and touch things

So to avoid a faux pas I would suggest you do as is asked, leave the room at the time asked and take everything with you

Be sure to fill out the small sheet that comes to you on the second or third day and turn it in about the time your plane leaves. Somehow or another ours was buried with a bunch of paperwork that was laying on the bed. One of us moved the stack to get to a suitcase we had under the bed and missed filling it out and returning it. For us, it's not going to be a problem the next cruise anyway because I will have my hubby scaled down to a carry on and we are just going to roll off the ship. I was not impressed with embarkation and debarkation on Celebrity. It seems very disorganized and unfriendly out of Miami (I'll find out if FLL is better next year ;))....so much easier on Norwegian....15 minutes for customs and finding bag tops! Customs on Celebrity was quick....agent looked at our passports and welcomed us back. It was getting the bags and screaming agents trying to form lines that got to me.....I'd rather schlep my carry on, honestly then have to go through that again. Nothing like coming back from a relaxing cruise and feeling like cattle.:eek:

Infact I would do again... exactly the same way... stay until we are pretty much told to leave.!

If everyone did this, it would be complete chaos.

On our last crusise I could not fly home on disembarkation day because I was unwell and I was waiting for a call from our travel insurance company to tell us where we were to stay overnight. But we still left the ship at the early time requested and sat in the cruise terminal until we heard from travel insurance where we were to go.

The crew need access to your cabin (and all the other cabins they have to clean, plus the public areas) in preparation for the next passengers' arrival. They have to work very hard on changeover day and it is unfair on them to make their day even more difficult

The coloured tag system is there to split up departing passengers into manageable numbers and the alternative is a free-for-all, which would be much worse.

Individual passengers can get away with ignoring the system, but I would encourage you to clear your cabin by 8 a.m. and leave the ship at the designated time, regardless of your plans for the day. It is only fair to the crew and your fellow passengers.

If everyone did this, it would be complete chaos.

On our last crusise I could not fly home on disembarkation day because I was unwell and I was waiting for a call from our travel insurance company to tell us where we were to stay overnight. But we still left the ship at the early time requested and sat in the cruise terminal until we heard from travel insurance where we were to go.

The crew need access to your cabin (and all the other cabins they have to clean, plus the public areas) in preparation for the next passengers' arrival. They have to work very hard on changeover day and it is unfair on them to make their day even more difficult

The coloured tag system is there to split up departing passengers into manageable numbers and the alternative is a free-for-all, which would be much worse.

Individual passengers can get away with ignoring the system, but I would encourage you to clear your cabin by 8 a.m. and leave the ship at the designated time, regardless of your plans for the day. It is only fair to the crew and your fellow passengers.

Excellent post and thoughtful of you to not seek an exception even when you were so unwell- I do hope you were not delayed too much in being able to travel home.

We wondered what happened to the cruise director on the last night (Feb 17th) of our cruise on the Eclipse? He was a great cruise director and we loved his afternoon Movies and music program. In the evening he mayu have been over tired or having a health issue as he did not act with the same class he had all week. He was repeating himself and acting rude. Many started walking out the auditorium as he went on and on... Is he OK?

Be sure to fill out the small sheet that comes to you on the second or third day and turn it in about the time your plane leaves. Somehow or another ours was buried with a bunch of paperwork that was laying on the bed. One of us moved the stack to get to a suitcase we had under the bed and missed filling it out and returning it. For us, it's not going to be a problem the next cruise anyway because I will have my hubby scaled down to a carry on and we are just going to roll off the ship. I was not impressed with embarkation and debarkation on Celebrity. It seems very disorganized and unfriendly out of Miami (I'll find out if FLL is better next year ;))....so much easier on Norwegian....15 minutes for customs and finding bag tops! Customs on Celebrity was quick....agent looked at our passports and welcomed us back. It was getting the bags and screaming agents trying to form lines that got to me.....I'd rather schlep my carry on, honestly then have to go through that again. Nothing like coming back from a relaxing cruise and feeling like cattle.:eek:

Now for us, we had the opposite experience.......We just got off the Eclipse on Saturday and were off the ship, got our bags and went through customs in no time. I have never gotten off a ship so fast. We had an 8:10 disembarcation, left the ship about 8:30 and was outside waiting for our ride by 8:50.

For us, Ft Lauderdale last year on the Solstice was a nightmare. We had a long walk from the ship with our carry ons, liquor purchase included, then a search for our bags, and then a long wait at customs. Same experience last November on Royal Caribbean.

To be fair, there was a record number of ships in Ft Lauderdale both times.

We wondered what happened to the cruise director on the last night (Feb 17th) of our cruise on the Eclipse? He was a great cruise director and we loved his afternoon Movies and music program. In the evening he mayu have been over tired or having a health issue as he did not act with the same class he had all week. He was repeating himself and acting rude. Many started walking out the auditorium as he went on and on... Is he OK?

He seemed fine last week.

Archived