No "Always Available" Menu Items?

mtnmommy

My family just got off a wonderful cruise on the Ryndam. We had great food and service in the dining room, but the "always available" items (the steak, salmon, chicken, Caesar salad, etc.) were no longer on the menu. On previous cruises, my kids often ordered these items from the adult menu. Also, I would really miss this on longer cruises because sometimes you just feel like getting something simple. I couldn't get any info about this change. Has anyone else noticed this on other ships recently?

The Ryndam was in beautiful shape, and it was a very relaxing and enjoyable cruise. Will try to do a short review later.

Well, that's good--I was afraid this was be a new thing. It seemed very strange. On the left side of the menu, they had the "Featured Chef" items, and then it was just blank where the "Available Daily" items usually are.

Well, that's good--I was afraid this was be a new thing. It seemed very strange. On the left side of the menu, they had the "Featured Chef" items, and then it was just blank where the "Available Daily" items usually are.

maybe they had a printer error?:confused: my printer can draw a blank at times.

Looking at menus recently posted they were recently there - did you ask your dining room steward if it was available:confused: that's something that's a big plus for a lot of people;)

We disembarked the Nieuw Amsterdam on Feb. 12 & on all our menu's for the entire 14 days they had the "Always Available" selections..

I often ordered the French Onion Soup from the "Always Available" selections & DH often ordered the steak..

Hope they continue that practice..

Cheers...:) Betty

:eek: You made me nervous. I order from the always available menu more than from the daily menu. I love salmon and have it plain broiled a great many nights during our cruises. If they discontinue the 'always available', I'd be a very unhappy cruiser.

But I wonder what happened on Ryndam? That's awful for the guests who were disappointed on that cruise.

Well, I'm relieved that it seems to have just been our cruise. I asked our dining steward, and he told me, "Not available," but I didn't really get an explanation. I just let it pass--it did get my 8-year-old to try some more sophisticated menu items--but we missed the options.

On a different menu note, the Master Chef dinner seemed very downplayed, so maybe it truly is on the way out. As well--traditional prime rib with no sauce, and lobster tails and escargot on formal night. All very good.

Well, I'm relieved that it seems to have just been our cruise. I asked our dining steward, and he told me, "Not available," but I didn't really get an explanation. I just let it pass--it did get my 8-year-old to try some more sophisticated menu items--but we missed the options.

On a different menu note, the Master Chef dinner seemed very downplayed, so maybe it truly is on the way out. As well--traditional prime rib with no sauce, and lobster tails and escargot on formal night. All very good.

I would be quite dismayed if the 'Always Available' items weren't. I can't imagine why that occured.

It would be like stopping for coffee at Johnson's Corner on I-25 and be told there were no pies available....:eek:

;)

I think that your MDR steward really didn't understand what you were asking & just repeated "Not Available", (for whatever reasons(s)! ;) If I had been you, I would have asked to speak with the DRM for further 'clarification', (and hopefully, a definitive answer)! ;)

1. Maybe they're market testing the "Always Available" items but I would think that the number of them ordered would be enough information for them. I order from that menu on occasion.

2. Master Chef Dinner was much more exciting and elaborately served on the Zuiderdam last week than it was on the Noordam in September.

If this happens again, I would ask the Dining Room Manager. As attentive and helpful as the Dining Stewards are, sometimes their command of the English language isn't that great.

We had the "Always Available" items on our recent Maasdam cruise.

I'm glad to hear the escargot was good on the Ryndam!

My folks were also on the Ryndam last week (they're still on it in fact). I asked about this and they said the "Always Available" was there as always. My dad enjoys the French Onion Soup. Don't know how to explain this but there it is.

I think there's so much demand for good crew that the ships we all love just aren't able to "keep up". Having a less-than-wonderful one of either of those categories does tend to make a cruise fall from the spectacular levels, quickly.

The majority of crew at those jobs are the ones who give us great service. A few, lately especially, don't.

Bummer for OP, as well as for somebody who posted recently about not getting all the printed info from their cabin steward and thereby missing a few things they really wanted to do or know.

This is a great reminder to those of us who are experienced cruisers, and also those who are not -- if we have any doubt whatsoever about an answer we are getting ("not available" was the answer in both the dining room to OP and the disappointed person in their cabin), we should ask somebody else -- presumably at the hotel desk or even to the appropriate ship officer.

My folks were also on the Ryndam last week (they're still on it in fact). I asked about this and they said the "Always Available" was there as always. My dad enjoys the French Onion Soup. Don't know how to explain this but there it is.

We were on Ryndam Feb 5-19 as well...true those items were not on in their traditional place on the printed menu...however they were listed as add ons to the "entree salad " each day ...as such they were available for the asking ...I enjoyed a nice [ excelent ] steak and Dw an excelent chicken breast....

The story i got from 4 sources [ ADRM< DRM< CULMAN< and HOTMAN ] revolved around the concept of "playing "with visual effects of the menu .............none suggested that availability of these items was no longer .....

We were on Ryndam Feb 5-19 as well...true those items were not on in their traditional place on the printed menu...however they were listed as add ons to the "entree salad " each day ...as such they were available for the asking ...I enjoyed a nice [ excelent ] steak and Dw an excelent chicken breast....

The story i got from 4 sources [ ADRM< DRM< CULMAN< and HOTMAN ] revolved around the concept of "playing "with visual effects of the menu .............none suggested that availability of these items was no longer .....

Every so often the local grocery store rearranges the stock on the shelves. It takes a long time before I'm able to find the things I want again. Just when I get used to it, things get moved again.

I understand that it can help increase sales, but I can't stand it.

I don't need anyone "playing" with visual effects of the menu. I want to be able to sit down, relax, and know where to look to decide what to order. HAL isn't "selling" additional food, so leave placement on the menu alone!

Archived