A Link re: Cruise Pax on Ship's Tour in Mexico

sail7seas

Very sad. Just glad no one was hurt. I am thankful we cruised to Mexico when we did. We love Mexico and have traveled all over but cruising there is special. We loved Mazatlan most of all and most lines have removed it entirely from their itineraries.

On EVERY "Grand" cruise we've been on [ these cruises last longer than 60 days & are often in poorer countries along the Equator] Barbara, the port lecturer, suggested that "It would be WISE to be careful in these places and NOT wear EXPENSIVE jewelry in port -it is also more TASTEFUL to not flaunt your apparent wealth in these countries" And in every case I knew people who "Knew better"

We've never been robbed [ knock on wood] but we've also traveled the World with caution.

Anne

On EVERY "Grand" cruise we've been on [ these cruises last longer than 60 days & are often in poorer countries along the Equator] Barbara, the port lecturer, suggested that "It would be WISE to be careful in these places and NOT wear EXPENSIVE jewelry in port -it is also more TASTEFUL to not flaunt your apparent wealth in these countries" And in every case I knew people who "Knew better"

We've never been robbed [ knock on wood] but we've also traveled the World with caution.

Anne

I Must have missed it but I didn't see anywhere in the article it said any of those tourists should have known better than to do something they should not have done. :confused:

These were cruisers, on a tour bus, on a ship's sponsored excursion..... What was not tasteful or sensible about that?

I don't know what they did to bring this upon themselves.

The surprising thing for me, is that these cruisers were on a ship-sponsored tour and on a tour bus going back to the ship.

Sail, thanks for posting article here.

Peggy,

That's the part that scares me the most. That is what makes me feel we are not safe there under any circumstances. One would think those people made the safest choice..... to go on a ship's sponsored tour but look what happened to them.

Very thankful no one was hurt.

We were on a HAL cruise four weeks ago that spent 2 days in P.V. and did not hear of any problems from any passengers. A number of folks even did late evening tours/shows and others stayed in town late.

I sure hate to hear of things like this happening anywhere to anyone, but I guess it is a sign of the times we live in today.

DaveOKC

Right before we went to the Southern Caribbean on an RCI ship, a group of cruise ship passengers were robbed in St. Lucia on the very excursion I had been considering taking! It kind of freaked me out, so we changed to a snorkel/beach excursion that left right from the dock and returned right to the dock. So we didn't actually see the island.

We've done the Mexican Riviera twice so it's not high on my list of priorities, thank goodness! We are considering an itinerary that goes to both Cozumel and Costa Maya, and those ports don't make me nervous--yet.

Robin

While I really hate reading this, I think it appropriate to bring the link over here regarding Carnival cruisers on a ship sponsored tour in Puerto Vallarta.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4755

Like I've said before, we do not need to go to these unsafe ports anymore, just send the Rotterdam, Veendam and Maasdam over there because they will have the passengers on board that will appreciate these ports looking at it from their 'beautiful' Lanai cabins.

Like I've said before, we do not need to go to these unsafe ports anymore, just send the Rotterdam, Veendam and Maasdam over there because they will have the passengers on board that will appreciate these ports looking at it from their 'beautiful' Lanai cabins.

I have been waiting for years to see you post just one friendly, helpful or upbeat post on any subject. Please don't disappoint me. Just one-----please--- pretty please.

Anne

Hi Ann---nice to see you posting again.

I do so agree with you. I have often remarked to my husband that, safety aside, I would feel embarrassed to wear jewellery ashore in some of the places we have visited. Heck in some places I feel ashamed of myself for all of the things we take for granted.

It is scary to read about this happening on a ship's tour. The same thing happened in Jamaica several years ago to people coming back to the ship on a HAL sponsored tour bus. I agree that the Caribbean has some unsafe ports too. My friend who picked us up in St. Thomas pointed out all the older teens hanging out and said more than likely each of them had a gun in his pocket.

It is scary to read about this happening on a ship's tour. The same thing happened in Jamaica several years ago to people coming back to the ship on a HAL sponsored tour bus. I agree that the Caribbean has some unsafe ports too. My friend who picked us up in St. Thomas pointed out all the older teens hanging out and said more than likely each of them had a gun in his pocket.

The Jamaica incident jogged my memory so I located a link to it. It was a Carnival tour, though , and not HAL.

http://www.internationalcruisevictims.org/LatestMemberStories/Kenneth_Williams.html

Are we crazy conservative---we only take our ship's card, a DL, $10 or so cash, and a single credit card when shopping. No jewelry or watches or technology. And when on a ship-booked excursion, we take about $5 each in ones for tipping and our cruise card and that is it.

I am so sorry for those passengers, as that must have been very frightening. That they robbed an entire bus, as opposed to pick-pocketing one person or robbing a couple, took serious planning.

I am not sure how I would feel traveling to Mexico from California now. My SO has been reluctant to book that cruise and this will not help.

I think the smart thing to do is not to take or wear anything you wouldn't be all right with losing on any visit in any port. I'd wear no jewelry at all and take very little money. I would make any money, at most a $20 bill, visible right in my tote bag so they can just grab it and run and hide a credit card inside my clothes Chances are nothing will happen, but I still wouldn't have anything on me I'm not willing to lose.

The Jamaica incident jogged my memory so I located a link to it. It was a Carnival tour, though , and not HAL.

http://www.internationalcruisevictims.org/LatestMemberStories/Kenneth_Williams.html

Sapper, that is a terrible story, but the incident I am referring to did happen on a HAL ship a year or so before. The ladies in the spa told me about it. There was a tree blocking the road that the bus was on. The bus stopped and the men got on and stole money and valuables. When we were in Montego Bay, we didn't know about this until after we came back from the beach. We were only told to be sure we took government sponsored taxis. We waited at the beach until one came. Now, I think how lucky we were because the same thing could have happened to a taxi. I will never stop in Jamaica again.

Of course this is a very unfortunate incident, but good to know nobody was hurt. This happened in Mexico so it makes headlines.

As others stated it has happened before not just in the Caribean but even close to Las Vegas some years ago as Lisa (laffnvegas) has posted elsewhere.

Think about the almost famous pickpockers in Rome, Barcelona and other places in the world.

We are staying again for a few months staying in Puerto Vallarta, so we feel unsafe....No..... just like thousands others around here.

What a terrible thing to have happened. I can't imagine how frightened those passengers must have been. Especially when we've all heard the horror stories of what has been going on in Mexico.

But I'm not very surprised that this would happen on a ship sponsored excursion. You have 20 people on a bus 5 miles out side of town. Very easy target and much more profitable than holding people up one at a time. The buses probably travel the same route everyday so I would expect the robbers figured out just where the bus would be and when.

I fondly remember all of the wonderful times we have spent in Mexico. And I'm very glad we were able to enjoy the interesting sights and the warm and friendly people that represent the large percentage of Mexican people.

Of course this is a very unfortunate incident, but good to know nobody was hurt. This happened in Mexico so it makes headlines.

As others stated it has happened before not just in the Caribean but even close to Las Vegas some years ago as Lisa (laffnvegas) has posted elsewhere.

Think about the almost famous pickpockers in Rome, Barcelona and other places in the world.

We are staying again for a few months staying in Puerto Vallarta, so we feel unsafe....No..... just like thousands others around here.

I hope you are not trying to suggest that holding up at gunpoint an entire busload of passengers on a shore excursion is somehow the same as an individual pickpocketing, which is generally a crime of stealth with no weapons involved?

The first is considered robbery, a more severe offense, the second is not.

Also, a more general comment: to me, this is another good example of why not to take your passport ashore, unless required by the country to do so.

Sapper, that is a terrible story, but the incident I am referring to did happen on a HAL ship a year or so before. The ladies in the spa told me about it. There was a tree blocking the road that the bus was on. The bus stopped and the men got on and stole money and valuables. When we were in Montego Bay, we didn't know about this until after we came back from the beach. We were only told to be sure we took government sponsored taxis. We waited at the beach until one came. Now, I think how lucky we were because the same thing could have happened to a taxi. I will never stop in Jamaica again.

Two different incidents. Thanks for the update.

We know people here who were aboard the plane that was taken over in Jamaica a few years ago. They were terrified. The government gave everyone a free resort week in Jamaica for that one. It was a charter and they were returning home when a gunman rushed aboard and robbed everyone.

We will most likely stay on the NA in Nov when it stops in Jamaica.

Archived