Sydney Hotels

We are crusing out of Sydney Dec. 2012 and this will be our 1st time there. We're arriving 5 days before our cruise to see/do as much as we can. I have reservations at the Marriott Circular Quay mostly because of location, but it is quite pricey...right at $400US per night. I am hoping to find something less expensive, clean, etc. still within walking distance of the waterfront tourist sites. In the US there are often city specials of stay 2 nights, 3rd night free...special pricing on week-ends, etc., but so far I'm not finding this in Sydney...maybe it's just too early for deals in December? Not knowing Sydney it is difficult to see on a hotel map just how far it really is from things. We can easily walk 7-8 blocks from a hotel, but I wouldn't want to be too many km away from the touristy things. Ideas and suggestions are very appreciated...thanking you in advance!! ~~Judy

We are crusing out of Sydney Dec. 2012 and this will be our 1st time there. We're arriving 5 days before our cruise to see/do as much as we can. I have reservations at the Marriott Circular Quay mostly because of location, but it is quite pricey...right at $400US per night. I am hoping to find something less expensive, clean, etc. still within walking distance of the waterfront tourist sites. In the US there are often city specials of stay 2 nights, 3rd night free...special pricing on week-ends, etc., but so far I'm not finding this in Sydney...maybe it's just too early for deals in December? Not knowing Sydney it is difficult to see on a hotel map just how far it really is from things. We can easily walk 7-8 blocks from a hotel, but I wouldn't want to be too many km away from the touristy things. Ideas and suggestions are very appreciated...thanking you in advance!! ~~Judy

Hi Judy, you will pay big money for hotels near Circular Quay/The Rocks. Have a look at hotels at Darling Harbour, including Novotel, Ibis, Holiday Inn. Also the Travelodge chain have a few hotels in City, Wynard/Martin Place. I recently stayed at Rydges North Sydney for a reasonable price $160 or thereabouts. Also have a look at Wotif.com or Booking.com for Sydney Hotels. I reckon you will get somewhere for around $160 per room per night if you hunt around the booking sites. Prices should be up on the sites for December.

Good luck and enjoy Sydney.

Certainly hotel prices in Sydney are at the high end, a bit like New York and San Francisco!

I like the Amora Jamison which is right in the centre of Sydney the city circle underground station is next door and you can walk to all the tourist sights in the city. Make sure you buy a day tripper ticket or a seniors excursion ticket which gives you all day rides on all public transport, trains, buses and ferries for a very low cost...if you are a senior its only $2.50 AUD.

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/aboutsydney/parkingandtransport/publictransport.asp

http://sydney.amorahotels.com/

Sue

Hi Judy

We are staying at the Lord Nelson Brewery Hotel, good reviews and reasonable tariff $190 including breakfast, do a google search it's in The Rocks area, and it sounds close by to waterfront.

Regards Lee

I like the Amora Jamison which is right in the centre of Sydney the city circle underground station is next door and you can walk to all the tourist sights in the city. Make sure you buy a day tripper ticket or a seniors excursion ticket which gives you all day rides on all public transport, trains, buses and ferries for a very low cost...if you are a senior its only $2.50 AUD.

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/aboutsydney/parkingandtransport/publictransport.asp

http://sydney.amorahotels.com/

Sue

I like Amora Jamison also, but I haven't stayed there recently.

You have to be an Australian Senior Card holder to buy the $2.50Aud. seniors day ticket.

However, the following bus, which loops the city regularly, is free -

Route 555: Free Sydney CBD Shuttle

The free Sydney CBD Shuttle runs every 10 minutes. The service operates in both directions on a loop from Central Station to Circular Quay via Elizabeth and George Streets.

Hours of operation are:

Weekdays: 9.30am to 3.30pm, with a late finish of 9pm on Thursday evenings.

Weekends: 9.30am to 6.00pm.

http://www.sydneybuses.info/free-shuttles/free-shuttle-information

Another vote for the Holiday Inn - the best price will probably be around 210-220 AUD per night. We use Wotif for deals - currently they are not showing anything past September. You could keep trying in a few months if you do not get a better deal and see what you can get.

http://www.wotif.com/search/Advanced?region=2414&startDay=2012-03-07&adults=0&children=0&child1Age=1&child2Age=1&child3Age=1&child4Age=1&child5Age=1&child6Age=1&child7Age=1&child8Age=1&child9Age=1&accommodationTypeMatch=&roomTypeCategoryMatch=&starRatingMatch=&maximumPrice=&isoCurrencyCode=AUD&propertyNameMatch=&searchTerms=&assumedCountry=AU&selectedSuggestionId=&page=1&viewType=all

Colleen

I am also another fan of Amora Jamieson. Such a good location, but the thing we like most is that they seem to give you a check-in regardless of the time of day. We have never had an issue at check-in even at 9.00am in the morning.

For our next cruise we are with a large Group so we are staying at the Darling Harbour Parkroyal. This seems to look okay too and is in a good position.

We spent a week in Sydney following a cruise last November. We stayed in the Sir Stamford at Circular Quay. The hubby and I were extremely pleased with the hotel and definitely would stay there again. The location was wonderful, the large room was perfect, and the staff just wonderful.

My hubby found the Lord Nelson on an internet site. I took a quick look, and reminded him that it was over a pub. We had drinks at the Lord Nelson one night, and dinner there a second night. The food was great and the beer very good, but from what I observed the rooms could be rather noisy. Perhaps someone who has actually stayed there will comment.

We have also stayed at the Amora Jamieson and it is in a great location and a good hotel.

The Intercontinental is also in a good location and is a lovely old building of historic value to Sydney.

We have also stayed at the Four Points Sheraton which is a little further away from Circular Quay, but still in the city area. I have walked from there to the Opera House and it took me about 30 minutes from memory.

WE are staying at the Parkroyal Darling Harbour, we were there in 2006 when it was the Crown Plaza and enjoyed it very much and it has reasonable rates. The location is good too.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! I really appreciate all of the great suggestions for hotels. I'm breathing easier now thinking we may be in a nice hotel and still have enough money left for a meal or two! I'll look at every suggestion...the research is part of the fun of travels.

Yes, Wotif is not showing anything past Sept. right now and I'll definitely be watching for their calendar to open to December. Now I feel like I have several more options...again, thanks to everyone who took the time to reply!!!

~~Judy

Slightly off topic but, I find it incredible that some people find $190 for bed and breakfast a reasonable price and then complain about the cost of cruising. Using an average of $110 per day on a cruise for an inside cabin for which you receive ALL meals, travel, entertainment, cabin steward etc. Add a few drinks(even if some think they are expensive) maybe the occassional photo etc. ALL this and more for less than the cost of B&B on shore. I know what I think is good value.

I totally agree...cruising is such a wonderful value per $...a floating resort hotel with great service, lots of food choices, more drinks than any of us need, entertainment and even shopping. And the added benefit of the ability to meet so many great people.

Our budget gets stretched with the pre and post cruise days, especially in countries like Australia where hotels, food, and of course shopping are more costly than we are used to in the states. But this is part of travelling...doing research before we arrive to see where the best values are and try to plan affordable days seeing as much as we can. AND we can't wait to see and spend some days in Sydney...a city I have wanted to visit for many years!!

~~Judy

Slightly off topic but, I find it incredible that some people find $190 for bed and breakfast a reasonable price and then complain about the cost of cruising. Using an average of $110 per day on a cruise for an inside cabin for which you receive ALL meals, travel, entertainment, cabin steward etc.

I haven't been claiming it's expensive, but keep in mind the two figures you gave aren't the same i.e. the bed and breakfast price of $190 above is for the room. However, when you say $110 per day for an inside on a cruise that is per person - i.e. for two the price would be $220, and for a family of 4 $440!

Thus, the bed and breakfast price is cheaper though you do also get more inclusions for the cruise price.

Slightly off topic but, I find it incredible that some people find $190 for bed and breakfast a reasonable price and then complain about the cost of cruising. Using an average of $110 per day on a cruise for an inside cabin for which you receive ALL meals, travel, entertainment, cabin steward etc. Add a few drinks(even if some think they are expensive) maybe the occassional photo etc. ALL this and more for less than the cost of B&B on shore. I know what I think is good value.

To me $190.00 a night with breakfast is reasonable, the tariff is for a dbl, on a cruise the quote is per person...

isajack:confused:

Judy,

December is a popular time of the year for tourists and locals alike. The closer it is to Christmas and the New Year celebrations, the more expensive it will be in Sydney.

I suggest you lock something in when you find an acceptable price.

Also try the Sydney tourism sites for local maps. There are many nice places to walk around especially near the waterfront.

Good luck! :)

Archived