change to sanctury reservation process

CruisinChris

Two suggestions:

a) Allow booking for the next day at 5 PM each evening. That way there is no need to get in line at 6 AM.

It would still be first come first serve right? It would be hard for the Sanctuary Stewards not to be preferential to the same guests that might have been there for a few days and lets say heavy tippers on the delivered food and maybe left a bit of extra money to help keep that same seat. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. At least getting up there at 6am or whatever ungodly early hour gives everyone a fair chance to race to the front of the line.

Carbill, I do think it is a good idea, but 5pm might be hard for others as they will be getting ready for dinner or maybe returning from a shore excursions etc... Waiting up on deck at in formal wear is not so cool in hot climates or if one is off the ship you just might be able to get in line that day. Maybe Princess went with early am time because the only spot you should be at 6am is in bed while on holidays. If you slept in and missed it is only ones own fault. Unlike right now as I type this and it is shortly after 6am right now:).

It will be interesting to see how this all settles in the end.

Perhaps use the current fee and allow a certain number of cruise long bookings(they do only offer this for a limited number of chairs,not the whole place,so the early bird thing still works for a great number of spots) but let that basically be a DEPOSIT on the spot and if the person does not "check in" to use the chair(either they leave again for a bit or not)by about 10 am,then the chair is again up for grabs for the day. Basically,the user would be reporting and can tell the staff if indeed they are going in port or something else instead and do not intend to use that day. This way,no getting up with the chickens if you pay the fee,but the chair not be wasted for days if you in fact,do not use it. As for wanting the option of having it kept free all day IN CASE you decide you want it just for a little while after doing other things--then that sort of reservation process(basically what it is now) should have a much higher fee than is currently charged. So --either alter the process or raise the fee. I think it is worth more.

It would still be first come first serve right? It would be hard for the Sanctuary Stewards not to be preferential to the same guests that might have been there for a few days and lets say heavy tippers on the delivered food and maybe left a bit of extra money to help keep that same seat. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. At least getting up there at 6am or whatever ungodly early hour gives everyone a fair chance to race to the front of the line.

Carbill, I do think it is a good idea, but 5pm might be hard for others as they will be getting ready for dinner or maybe returning from a shore excursions etc... Waiting up on deck at in formal wear is not so cool in hot climates or if one is off the ship you just might be able to get in line that day. Maybe Princess went with early am time because the only spot you should be at 6am is in bed while on holidays. If you slept in and missed it is only ones own fault. Unlike right now as I type this and it is shortly after 6am right now:).

It will be interesting to see how this all settles in the end.

I would make it a lottery. Put your name in the hat by say 5pm for the next day. People can only enter once and can enter as either an individual or a twosome, but not both. If you are traveling with a large party, each would have to enter and take their chances.

The two times we used it was while in ports and the place was empty all day. We had to take what I'd call lousy seats. It bothered me that every spot in the front row was empty the entire time we were there yet we could not sit down in any of them. I would have loved to sit in any one of them to watch since we were so close to shore.

I just changed our middle cabin for our b2b2b. I thought I'd get a cheap cabin for that middle cruise since people always said b2b2b people were able to sign up early. It really doesn't matter. I love suites and guess I'll stick with them - I can't just sit anymore and since I just had a cancer spot removed, I really don't want a spot in the sun all day.

I hope Princess does find a better system that will be fair to everyone. Maybe it is time to sell half days at a time.

I vote for the lottery system.

There's an easy way to fix that issue. When we were on the island, we quickly entered into a gentlepersons agreement with the other full cruise bookers that if we were not around they could use our cabana until we got there and vice versa for their seats...

The two times we used it was while in ports and the place was empty all day. We had to take what I'd call lousy seats. It bothered me that every spot in the front row was empty the entire time we were there yet we could not sit down in any of them. I would have loved to sit in any one of them to watch since we were so close to shore.

I just changed our middle cabin for our b2b2b. I thought I'd get a cheap cabin for that middle cruise since people always said b2b2b people were able to sign up early. It really doesn't matter. I love suites and guess I'll stick with them - I can't just sit anymore and since I just had a cancer spot removed, I really don't want a spot in the sun all day.

I hope Princess does find a better system that will be fair to everyone. Maybe it is time to sell half days at a time.

I vote for the lottery system.

There's an easy way to fix that issue. When we were on the island, we quickly entered into a gentlepersons agreement with the other full cruise bookers that if we were not around they could use our cabana until we got there and vice versa for their seats...

That's a great idea

OK, SO I am a little confused about this whole Sanctuary thing.

I watched the video on the Princess website, because quite frankly, I have never experienced "the Sanctuary", but is sure looks an awful lot like what Mrs Banjo & I normally expect on board when we go cruising. But you have to make reservations & have to pay extra for it? Wow, am I so not up to date!

Now I must admit that we have never cruised a large ship and this years trip to Alaska will be our first experience on a large ship, (we will be on the Diamond), and I guess if the rest of the ship is so busy that you need to pay extra for a quiet place to relax, maybe we need to rethink our upcoming cruise before we make the final payment!

I think it is time to put The Sanctuary Reservations online with the excursions. That way everyone has a shot.

Great idea. They could also do like another cruiseline does with reserving shows onboard, and only allowing one cruiser a certain number of spots (3 half days sounds fair) in the sanctuary. If the sanctuary is not fully booked, then the early line-up could take effect to sell off the rest of the spots.

Personally, I'd be happy with two half days throughout the cruise.

Now I must admit that we have never cruised a large ship and this years trip to Alaska will be our first experience on a large ship, (we will be on the Diamond), and I guess if the rest of the ship is so busy that you need to pay extra for a quiet place to relax, maybe we need to rethink our upcoming cruise before we make the final payment!

Don't cancel the Diamond to Alaska because of this thread. We have been twice and never even considered the sanctuary. The Diamond is beautiful and Alaska is amazing. If you can, the helicopter trip out of Juneau is great!

I'm curious to hear from people that have just got off or are about to i this was the new sanctuary process.

Me too, I have no faith in what the say on Facebook. They told people last week that formal was required in the specialty restaurants..hmmm NO.

Recently cruised the Caribbean on the Crown. My husband and I signed up for the week. We absolutely loved it and will plan another cruise to include a week with a "serenity steward". It was the most restful, relaxing cruise that we have taken because of those oversized, daybed like loungers.

Supply and demand works..

Technically every passenger who sails has paid for a non sanctuary seat. How is leaving a towel or a book on a chair at 5:00am any different than booking a seat in the sanctuary all week and not using it? I am not saying that everyone does this but I have sat in the area outside of the sanctuary and watched passengers get turned away on a sea day because all of the loungers had reserved cards on them and no people. Princess has just found a way to cash in on passengers emotions and fear of not getting a seat in a desired area. Personally I have no interest in paying extra for a chair in a shaded area and have never had a problem finding a comfortable seat in the afternoon on a sea day. But I do prefer to be away from the mob at the pool.

Hi

In view of the lively discussion that has already taken place on another thread on this subject, I give below a reply to an e-mail I sent to Princess in the U.K. to try to clarify the position, re cruise long bookings in The Sanctuary:-

"Good Afternoon"

Thank you for your e-mail.

I can advise you that the opportunity to pre-book the Sanctuary for the whole duration of the cruise is not offered as a standard policy on our ships across the flaat and is subject to change at any time.

As such, I cannot confirm that this will be available to you on your cruise and can only recommend that you check once on board. I am sorry for any disappointment this may cause.

I hope this information has helped answer your enquiry and l look forward to welcoming you on board soon.

Kind regards"

Really does not give a definitive answer. May be that they are trying the day by day bookings only to see what response they get on a certain number of ships.

Seems that we will not know the answer until we embark, or in the meantime wait until nearer the cruise date and see what comments are being made on the CC boards.

I totally agree. Why should that space be utilized by only a few folks?

Realistically, I seriously doubt that anyone actually sits there from open to close the whole week, so why not plan your usage, and let others benefit too?!!

Totally agree too!!

Archived