What is your favorite moment of a cruise?

Not to derail...but when we boarded the Freedom back in July there was a problem with my card as we tried to board; finally, it made the bong sound. I then said cheerily "I can get on now that I got a bong!"

The guy said "what did you just say sir?!"-Well, apparently they thought I had said 'bomb' and we almost had an issue. Now i call it a 'ding.' :-)

Or he could have thought you meant "Bong" in the narcotic sense ... :)

Just sayin' ...

Michael

The first thing I do after rushing up the steps to get to our room is lay back on the bed and give a sigh of relief...then I run out to the balcony...I do this everytime (unless we forgo the balcony, then I kick myself for not getting one) LOL.

Anyone know what kind of iced tea the cruiselines use? I have only had it on cruises...

It's been a long time (if ever) since I've arrived so late that the cabin was available.

We always stay at Pier 66 in a balcony overlooking the port. I get up at 4:00AM with coffee in hand and watch my ship come in. The last time I was so excited to see Oasis sail by the big condo that it towers over, but unfortunately fell asleep before it sailed in. Woke up at 6:00AM and there she was all nice and PARKED! In 36 days I will NOT miss it!!! This is the beginning of the cruise for me. The second is hearing the "bong" of the card and the third is the relief I feel when I see my luggage outside of my room. Then let the cruise craziness begin!

What I am most looking forward to is that final setp off the gangway ramp on to the actual deck of the ship. After over a year of wating I"M ON THE SHIP!!!!

After that the thing that most lets me know it is all real is the first time I hear the announcement chimes and that certain echo effect from speakers in multiple places as whatever announcement is being made. That sound effect I have not heard anywhere else. I swear I am going to record that chime tone so I can put it on my computer for incoming mail.

For me it is being up on the top deck as the ship sails out of home port, hearing the ship's horn sound, and feeling excitement of the anticipation of the week that is to come as the stress of everyday life leaves me. That seems to be the time that I realize that I won't have to make any decisions all week that are more important than what I want to eat for dinner.

My moment comes a little later ........ it's the first morning after sleeping on the ship. You throw open the blinds and you are SOMEPLACE ELSE !!!! :D :D

Moment repeats itself daily !!!

But my favorite moment is when the ship pushes away from the dock, and I feel its movement on the water. Then...I'm on a cruise!

Gee, the ships move so gently when they push away from the dock that I never feel it. There are times it looked to me like the dock was pulling away and we were standing still. Only once we're out of the channel and into open seas will I feel some movement.

There was another thread basically exactly like this a week or two ago... but I never get tired of it! Someone said it was like a tranquilizer to read about these favorite moments, but for me it's the opposite: my heart is racing, I'm bouncing around in my chair, I'm ready to GO! Only 60 more days! :D

P.S. I agree with everyone else: getting my SeaPass card, walking up the ramp, stepping onto the ship, hearing the "ding", then sailaway, etc -- I guess my favorite "moment" is the entire boarding process!

O.K. this is seriously not doing anything for my cruise fever right now....:oanybody know where I can get my hands on a couple a thousand bucks right now!??

As of this writing the MegaMillions (if your state participates) is approaching $200 million. I'm thinking "Owner's Suite."

Archived