The best plate of food?

Arizona

Well, not that I'm going to be considering my "diet" but is there a good spot for a Cobb or entree-sized salad?

As LHT28 wrote, they do have a entree-sized Cobb Salad in Polo where you can add a choice of steak, chicken or tuna. You can view a sample menu here:

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/documents/menus/rclass/polo-grill/01-Polo-Grill-Main-Menu.pdf

ORV,

I can't be sure of the Kobe Burgers on the Regatta since I haven't been on her yet. But I know they have a Waves Grill, so I will assume they have the Kobe Burgers.

I hope that all the Oceania ships have the same food and menus as the Marina. I thought I read somewhere that Jacque Pepin's menus are throughout the entire Oceania fleet.

Maybe someone else can confirm this.

I will sailing on the Regatta next April...not soon enough for me.

No, not all the ships have the same food. Only the O class ships (Marina and Riviera) have Jacques & Red Ginger specialty restaurants, plus the steak/seafood/lamb chop grill in Terrace cafe / Tapas on the Terrace (at night) buffet dining room. Also Waves has offerings that the R class ships do not (such as Kobe burgers. They are Black Angus on R ships). As well Waves offers a limited but more than adequate breakfast but only on the O ships. On a nice day this is a great place to get breakfast - less crowded, fast omelette station and al fresco!

You are right that Jacques Pepin's hand is in the overall cusine and 'Jacques' on the O ships is 'his'. In the GDR on all the ships there are several always available Jacques Pepin Signature Dishes. Polo and Toscano will be exactly the same on all the ships and the GDR menus throughout the line will be largely drawn up from Oceania's the same choices but do vary somewhat from cruise to cruise.

With very few exceptions and minor quibles we have always enjoyed the food on O no matter which ship. Enjoy your cruise!

Question: When you do back to back cruises, do the menus get repeated from one cruise to the next?

Specialty restaurant do not change

The GDR may repeat I never really paid that much attention there is so many items to choose from

but what you wanted to try one week now you can try on the 2nd cruise :D

You will never starve

we were on an 18 day cruise, and felt the menus starting repeating after 2 weeks....

We've been on the ship for 30,32 and 36 days and never had a problem finding something we would enjoy to eat. Yes there seems to be a two week cycle but the length of the menu and the always available items made that of no importance. Of course you always have the specialty restaurants to intersperse.;)

Thank you Tropicalkerry and LHT. I thought the menu was repeating on our 19 South American Splendors. The only one I really noticed was lunch so as long as I know to head up to the Terrace Cafe I will be fine. Besides the desserts are better in the Terrace Cafe. More choice.:D

Thank you Tropicalkerry and LHT. I thought the menu was repeating on our 19 South American Splendors. The only one I really noticed was lunch so as long as I know to head up to the Terrace Cafe I will be fine. Besides the desserts are better in the Terrace Cafe. More choice.:D

We sometime will have lunch in the GDR then go to then Terrace for dessert;)

Best of both worlds :D

As far as side dishes are concerned, I have already mentioned the pesto gnocchi in Toscana, I also think that the Beet & Goat Cheese Napoleon in Polo is wonderful and the French Fries at Waves are the BEST at Sea!

Yes there are sugar free desserts. Usually at least one in the MDR and usually a couple in the Terrace Cafe. I think they also have a sugar free in the specialty restaurants as well.

A small correction for those whose needs may require it. Many of the desserts are "no sugar added" not sugar free so there may be natural sugars in the ingredients. Your waiter should be able to advise. When in doubt, ask.

And if you really need an absolutely NO sugar dessert, you can notify O in advance of the situation. From what I have heard, they are very willing to accommodate all sorts of dietary restrictions. Since they do have desserts for diabetics I'm assuming that means no-sugar. Am I wrong?

Getting back to the original question, I am very loathe to recommend a dish that someone just MUST order (whether it's an appetizer, main course or dessert) because my taste buds are not everyone else's. If I see tons of recommendations for a particular dish, I will try it. But I won't because one or two people do! What if you order my favorite dish and you hate it???

That being said, my favorite dessert on O is the creme brulee ... everywhere else I've ordered it has not been as satisfactory. (And I preferred it on Regatta above all other ships.) But that isn't exactly a no-sugar dessert ...

(Then again, I love the profiteroles as well ... but between the hot fudge sauce and the vanilla ice cream, I think there's lots of sugar in this one.)

Mura

Speaking personally, the pizza on board is okay but nothing special.

I do better at home ...

But I'll eat it! It's certainly not TERRIBLE. But also not fabulous, like so many of their other dishes are.

Mura

Back to the pizza question ...

A number of years ago we were on Regatta and got to talking to the pizza guy. He had owned his own pizza place at some time before then and said that it was really not possible on the ship to do "real" pizza because the ovens just do not get hot enough.

Mura

Archived