The best plate of food?

Arizona

To be more generic, we usually get a burger of some sort. Followed by a smoothie ... or for DH, ice cream. (I like the burger with jalpenos ... that may be the Texas, I'm not at all sure.)

But from reading the various posts, I think we are going to have to become more adventurous.

But Waves is wonderful, especially when you get back late enough from a tour that the "real" restaurants are closed and Waves is still open ... Heaven forfend you should starve to death on a cruise ship!

Mura

I liked some of the spa choices in the main dining room. I also enjoyed fabulous consommé on several occasions. I also liked getting extra vegetable sides. Nicely done. All this food talk is whetting my appetite. Just booked my specialty restaurants last night just after midnight. My budget friendly inside cabin allows me to book 45 days ahead

...for me, the "best" plate, the one that I always come back for, is the Filet Mignon - medium rare please, in the Polo Grill. I don't think I've ever had a better one than what I've always been served each time I've been there...

...my other "best" plate would be the Ravioli di Cocoa in Toscana, the first time I'd heard of chocolate ravioli's I said it sounded quite weird, but once you've tasted them you're hooked forever...!!

cheers,

the Imagineer

Arizona - YES - the chocolate croissants are in the Terrace Grill. We had tours planned at every port so I never had much time for breakfast but after trying the chocolate croissants paired with a pretty good cup of coffee and a bowl of berries (strawberries, raspberries & blackberries) I made sure I was awake early enough to get to the Terrace. One of my friends was raving about the roomservice breakfasts but I resisted because I was unwilling to give up the chocolate croissants. She suggested I could write it on the room service selection menu which I did and I did receive one but I much preferred my own selection of fruit to pair with the croissants. They were sooooo good. Enjoy our cruise.

We have never been entitled to a hot breakfast via room service but I would never trade breakfast on the patio in the Terrace for room service. Only time I would consider would be if I were ill and then I wouldnt likely be wanting a hot breakfast. My favourite thing to do on the entire ship! Hope it's warm in the Northern climes in June! of course, being from Canada we do brave the cooler temps that others cannot bear.

Mo

We have never been entitled to a hot breakfast via room service but I would never trade breakfast on the patio in the Terrace for room service. Only time I would consider would be if I were ill and then I wouldnt likely be wanting a hot breakfast. My favourite thing to do on the entire ship! Hope it's warm in the Northern climes in June! of course, being from Canada we do brave the cooler temps that others cannot bear.

Mo

We've never cruised with Oceania, but are considering it in the future. So, who is entitled to a hot room service breakfast?

• 8 months later...
With so many foodies associated with Oceania, what one plate would you say is simply the best out of any restaurant on board? We'll be on the Riviera in May and I don't want to miss out on that one perfect plate.

We will be on Riviera on the Feb 12, 2013 sailing:). The input on this thread has really helped to guide me as a first timer on the Marina/Riviera class of ships. Since this thread is now around a year old I was hoping those with more recent experiences could offer updated guidance to reflect recent kitchen performance as well as menu changes.

My synopsis of the postings is attached. I certainly would also appreciate corrections to my "map" based upon changes and/or any misunderstandings on my part. I've left off only a few inputs based upon personal food dislikes, but it mostly captures the highlights of the thread - I think.

Thanks and appreciation to all.

Oceania Food-Best Of.pdf

We will be on Riviera on the Feb 12, 2013 sailing:). The input on this thread has really helped to guide me as a first timer on the Marina/Riviera class of ships. Since this thread is now around a year old I was hoping those with more recent experiences could offer updated guidance to reflect recent kitchen performance as well as menu changes.

My synopsis of the postings is attached. I certainly would also appreciate corrections to my "map" based upon changes and/or any misunderstandings on my part. I've left off only a few inputs based upon personal food dislikes, but it mostly captures the highlights of the thread - I think.

Wow! And in colour ..great job.

Don't overlook the spa menu which appears on the left side of the menu in the GDR. They often tweak something which appears on the daily menu. For example, a starter may be doubled in size - chicken satay - and be the main course. Avoid the salads with iceberg lettuce though and a fig vinaigrette. Boring!

I am happy to hear that they have added some new menu items to this too. Wish they had the info in the Terrace Cafe.

Great job!

I just have a couple of comments (always bearing mind that personal taste is personal taste).

I'm a big chocoholic, preferably dark chocolate. But I don't care for the chocolate croissants -- and I always thought I would when I heard Frank Del Rio describe them at a reception that was held in NY reporting on the then-progress on the construction of Marina. It's just TOO chocolate-y for me ... if this were a true desert I'd probably like it, but I don't want so much chocolate in my croissants, especially not at breakfast.

I solve that problem by not ordering them!

OTOH, I adore the Profiteroles, and if they are on the menu -- I order them!

Never saw the 72 hour braised short ribs before ... I'll have to be on the lookout for them next November!

Mura

Great job!

I'm a big chocoholic, preferably dark chocolate. But I don't care for the chocolate croissants -- and I always thought I would when I heard Frank Del Rio describe them at a reception that was held in NY reporting on the then-progress on the construction of Marina. It's just TOO chocolate-y for me ... if this were a true desert I'd probably like it, but I don't want so much chocolate in my croissants, especially not at breakfast.

Mura

To each her own taste! A chocolate croissant was my one requirement for breakfast on Marina. The rest I diversified! :)

OK, so, what is the best side-dish that you order, even if it does not make sense with your entree?!?

Braised endive (Terrace Cafe) and red cabbage (Jacques)

Of all the dishes listed as favorites I would only have picked one as my favorite, the duck and watermelon salad in Red Ginger. Dishes that I will not reorder: the Kobe burger and the Chilean seabass.

Food is so subjective & then you have the wild cards

Who is cooking it & how do they cook it

We have ordered the same dish on several cruise ..they all taste slightly different

Some were not close to what we had before & were sent back

All were made with quality ingredients but different cooks different methods ;)

Just enjoy what you like

Lyn

To each her own taste! A chocolate croissant was my one requirement for breakfast on Marina. The rest I diversified! :)

I have to admit that I was surprised at my reaction. I had expected to become immediately addicted to them. Then again, I'm not tempted by the chocolate lasagna either and so many people adore it.

As you say ...

Mura

I have to admit that I was surprised at my reaction. I had expected to become immediately addicted to them. Then again, I'm not tempted by the chocolate lasagna either and so many people adore it.

As you say ...

Mura

You do know it is just layers of chocolate nothing to do with lasagna ;)

Last time I had it the middle was still frozen not sure whether it was suppose to be frozen the other times or not :confused:

lyn

I appreciate everyone's input. It's been overwhelmingly reaffirmed that the Miso Sea Bass in Red Ginger is one of the all time favorites, as well as the Kobe Burger at Waves and several others that I already have in my compilation. I've reattached the .pdf file that summarizes the favorites that I had extracted from the March-May 2012 dialogues.

I'm trying to update the attachment with any significant additions not already listed in my attached file that others could offer (there have been a few such as the veal w/lobster), as well as benefit from the experience of others with regard to new favorite dishes introduced in the last year and/or any dishes that were once favorites but recently disappointed.

Your inputs are very, very much appreciated.

Oceania Food-Best Of.pdf

Archived