Helsinki Questions? Glad to help!

You can find exact dock on this list

Scroll down to West Harbour :

http://www.portofhelsinki.fi/passengers/expected_cruise_ships

Thanks! Now not only do I know where we'll be, but I can see which other ships are in port then. We're going to be at LHC Hernsaari, so that's good for our plan.

Edited by jljcruise

I thought I had all my plans in place for docking at Hernesaari Quay LHB and taking bus 14 to Rock Church but now it appears we will be docking at West Harbor LMA. :eek:...So now what? I am reading over the past several posts and I guess we will need to take Tram 9? :confused: Our plan is to visit Sibellius Park, Rock Church, Upensky/Lutheran Churches and Market Square. My question is where should we start our day? I am not sure where Tram 9 goes and where we should get the tram from where we are docked. I also would like to know if there's a place to purchase the day ticket at the dock or if we can purchase it on the tram like we were going to from the bus driver. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Dolfans from Miami

Hi Dolfans--we are in the same predicament :(

After all the wonderful info on this thread this is our plan:

Get 1-day ticket from machine outside West Terminal or from the driver. We will need smaller Euro notes for this.

Take Tram 9 to main station. Walk to Market Square (opens early) --explore. Visit churches etc

Take Tram 3T "tour" and get off at stop for Rock Church (opens at 10 am). Return on Tram 3T loop to Esplanadi area --explore. Maybe go to Suemolina Fortress if a beautiful day.

Take Tram 9 from main station to West terminal.

The HSL website is really good for maps etc.

Alaskanb

Edited by Alaskanb

Hi Dolfans--we are in the same predicament :(

After all the wonderful info on this thread this is our plan:

Get 1-day ticket from machine outside West Terminal or from the driver. We will need smaller Euro notes for this.

Take Tram 9 to main station. Walk to Market Square (opens early) --explore. Visit churches etc

Take Tram 3T "tour" and get off at stop for Rock Church (opens at 10 am). Return on Tram 3T loop to Esplanadi area --explore. Maybe go to Suemolina Fortress if a beautiful day.

Take Tram 9 from main station to West terminal.

The HSL website is really good for maps etc.

Alaskanb

Many thanks to you, Alaskanb, for the info! I thought all our plans were set and now a change in docking has thrown me for a loop!! We want to do the fortress as well if it is nice weather so we were planning on squeezing that in somewhere. Supposedly there is a nice Beer Garden by where the ferry stops at the island so we were thinking about doing that and walking around a bit. We are on RCCI Brilliance visiting on 6/1 from 10:00 - 6:00 so we should have enough time to see everything. My concern now is what appears to be a possible delay in catching the 9 tram out of the docking area due to it being very overcrowded! What is up with that? Do you know if the machine for the transportation tickets accept CC? Can we purchase the 1 day travel pass from this machine? Or better to just use Euros and purchase from the tram operator? So many questions needing answering! I am stressing!!

Dolfans from Miami

Here is a newer map of the area (I gave the link to an older one in an previous post):

http://www.portofhelsinki.fi/download/14981_tammikuu_2012_rahtiliikenteen_ajo_Lannen_porteille.pdf

Quay LMA is indicated as "Melkinlaituri". Tram stop in indicated in green. Tram 9 coming from north will make a loop in front of the West Terminal (Länsiterminaali) and then stop before continuing north. There are further two stops further north along Tyynenmerenkatu that are not indicated on this map.

Pedestrian ways are indicated by blue dots.

This plan of the West terminal indicates there is a machine for Helsinki traffic (HSL) outside the terminal.

http://www.portofhelsinki.org/palvelukartta/main5eng.html#2

And here is information about #9 tram route:

http://aikataulut.hsl.fi/reittiopas/en/line/?&adv=&maploc=&mapline=81%3A2%3A1009++%3A20120813%3A&keya=&line=9&a=&aa=&an=&mapstyle=&nk=1&map=&px=2551281&py=6671775&ppx=2551281&ppy=6671775&zx=2551281&zy=6671775&ss=&se=&click=1&hlterm=&hlloc=&p=2&print=&zoom=8&x=300&y=200&nc=&fcmap=&click=2

Bus drivers should have one day tickets but I cannot guarantee that tram drivers will have them. But the ticket machine should be able to support them.

Also remember that there are (almost always as far as I know) shuttle buses between downtown and the cruise ships.

Edited by Ultima Thule

Here is a newer map of the area (I gave the link to an older one in an previous post):

http://www.portofhelsinki.fi/download/14981_tammikuu_2012_rahtiliikenteen_ajo_Lannen_porteille.pdf

Quay LMA is indicated as "Melkinlaituri". Tram stop in indicated in green. Tram 9 coming from north will make a loop in front of the West Terminal (Länsiterminaali) and then stop before continuing north. There are further two stops further north along Tyynenmerenkatu that are not indicated on this map.

Pedestrian ways are indicated by blue dots.

This plan of the West terminal indicates there is a machine for Helsinki traffic (HSL) outside the terminal.

http://www.portofhelsinki.org/palvelukartta/main5eng.html#2

And here is information about #9 tram route:

http://aikataulut.hsl.fi/reittiopas/en/line/?&adv=&maploc=&mapline=81%3A2%3A1009++%3A20120813%3A&keya=&line=9&a=&aa=&an=&mapstyle=&nk=1&map=&px=2551281&py=6671775&ppx=2551281&ppy=6671775&zx=2551281&zy=6671775&ss=&se=&click=1&hlterm=&hlloc=&p=2&print=&zoom=8&x=300&y=200&nc=&fcmap=&click=2

Bus drivers should have one day tickets but I cannot guarantee that tram drivers will have them. But the ticket machine should be able to support them.

Also remember that there are (almost always as far as I know) shuttle buses between downtown and the cruise ships.

Thank you so very much, Ultima Thule! Wonderful information an the maps are great! One last question. If we wanted to begin our day by visiting Sibelius Monument, how would you suggest we get there from Tram 9? The HSL site has me going from Tram 9, get off at Kampintorri then walk to Kampii and take bus 41 to the Linnankosoenkatu stop. Sounds complicated! What do you think of this route?

Dolfans from Miami

Thank you so very much, Ultima Thule! Wonderful information an the maps are great! One last question. If we wanted to begin our day by visiting Sibelius Monument, how would you suggest we get there from Tram 9? The HSL site has me going from Tram 9, get off at Kampintorri then walk to Kampii and take bus 41 to the Linnankosoenkatu stop. Sounds complicated! What do you think of this route?

Dolfans from Miami

We will do this from the Tram 3T route --my notes say: Stop 10 Toolontori (Toolo Market Square) – this is the best stop for the Sibelius monument. Just a short walk through the park.

We will do this from the Tram 3T route --my notes say: Stop 10 Toolontori (Toolo Market Square) – this is the best stop for the Sibelius monument. Just a short walk through the park.

Thanks again for the info, Alaskanb! Do you happen to know how I should get on the 3T Tram from the 9 Tram? We wanted to do the 3T/3B route to see both Sibelius and Rock Church (part of the original plan). We wanted to see these sites first and work our way towards the other churches (which I think are accessible off the tram as well) take the ferry to fortress then walk around the Market Square before heading back to the ship. Can you catch the 9 Tram from Market Square or how are you getting back to the port? Thanks again for all the help! :)

Dolfans from Miami

Thanks again for the info, Alaskanb! Do you happen to know how I should get on the 3T Tram from the 9 Tram? We wanted to do the 3T/3B route to see both Sibelius and Rock Church (part of the original plan). We wanted to see these sites first and work our way towards the other churches (which I think are accessible off the tram as well) take the ferry to fortress then walk around the Market Square before heading back to the ship. Can you catch the 9 Tram from Market Square or how are you getting back to the port? Thanks again for all the help! :)

Dolfans from Miami

We are in port from 7 am-4 pm so are doing things in a different order than you. I'm sure we will be tired after St. Petersburg and will be in no great rush to disembark at 7. As the Rock Church does not open until 10 we will do that after the Market Square/Senate area.

Notes from this thread: tram 9 wil pass the railway station. From there you can either continue with tram 3T going in the SAME directon (i.e from the same platform) to the Market Square or take a walk through downtown (0.55 miles).

Tram 9 going away from the harbor will be marked "Pasilan asema / Böle Station", the one going to the harbor "Länsiterminaalin / Västra terminalen"

So we will take tram 9 from the railway station back to the port. It will mean a short walk back through town from Market Square. I think once we are there things will be clearer.

The other option is to take the shuttle back and forth but still use tram 3T and the ferry to the fortress. It's just good to know what the options are and can decide once we arrive.

We are in port from 7 am-4 pm so are doing things in a different order than you. I'm sure we will be tired after St. Petersburg and will be in no great rush to disembark at 7. As the Rock Church does not open until 10 we will do that after the Market Square/Senate area.

Notes from this thread: tram 9 wil pass the railway station. From there you can either continue with tram 3T going in the SAME directon (i.e from the same platform) to the Market Square or take a walk through downtown (0.55 miles).

Tram 9 going away from the harbor will be marked "Pasilan asema / Böle Station", the one going to the harbor "Länsiterminaalin / Västra terminalen"

So we will take tram 9 from the railway station back to the port. It will mean a short walk back through town from Market Square. I think once we are there things will be clearer.

The other option is to take the shuttle back and forth but still use tram 3T and the ferry to the fortress. It's just good to know what the options are and can decide once we arrive.

WOW! Thanks for sharing all this information. :). I am kind of liking the shuttle idea more and more!

Dolfans from Miami

We're going to be at LHC Hernsaari, so that's good for our plan.

We're going to be at LHC Hernsaari, so that's good for our plan.

Fine. Its a rather long walk then but quite straightforward. The first section in the harbor along "Hernesaarenranta" is a bit boring. When when reaching the modern houses circle them to the right along "Eiranranta" and then turn left and follow "Telakkakatu". Avoid the Hylkeenpyytäjänkatu-Munkkisaarenkatu way. Apart from the last mentioned all steet combinations you might select will be along decent streets.

I can suggest three ways:

1) Instead of turning into "Telakkakatu" continue along "Eiraanranta" and the parks along the small boat harbor. Then "cut the southeast corner" along "Puistokatu" and then north along "Laivasillankatu".

Thats a bit longer than the other options but a nice walk on hot sunny days.

2) Easest to find way: Telakkakatu past the shipyard. Then along the Boulevard and the Esplanade park.

3) For those confident in map reading: Tehtaankatu-Sepänkatu-Laivurinkatu-Laivurinrinne-Annankatu-Iso Roobrtinkatu-Erottajankatu (the shuttle buses stops here), then throught the esplanade park.

Edited by Ultima Thule

One last question. If we wanted to begin our day by visiting Sibelius Monument, how would you suggest we get there from Tram 9? The HSL site has me going from Tram 9, get off at Kampintori then walk to Kampii and take bus 41 to the Linnankoskenkatu stop. Sounds complicated! What do you think of this route?

Well it sounds more complicated that it is. But lets take it step by step:

First tram 3T

From stop "Töölön tori" there is a 750m walk to the Sibelius monument while from stop "Töölön halli" two stops further on there is a 600m walk to the monument.

Then the buses. Here is a map of the bus lines:

http://www.hsl.fi/FI/aikataulutjareitit/Documents/hki_bussit_13.8.2012.pdf

As you can see its quite a complex system. Therefore, instead look at this map of the Kamppi area:

http://www.hsl.fi/FI/aikataulutjareitit/terminaalitjalahtolaiturit/Sivut/kampinterminaali.aspx

First note that the map is turned so that north is in lower left corner. The grey buildings in the middle are the main bus station plus subway entrance & shopping mall but that is of no concern in this case.

The tram lines are not indicated on this map but Tram 9 will enter from right (where you see the text 21V 65A) and follow Malminrine-Urho Kekkosen katu - Simoninkatu and to the railway station. Tram 3T will go in the opposite direction from the railroad station and after

Urho Kekkosenkatu turn into Fredrikinkatu and continue to the left bottom corner of the map.

3T will stop where the subway "M" symbol at Kamppi is on the map. A bit of the right of that you see the text "14 18 18N" Tram 9 will stop where that "18N" is on the map. So if you want to change trams you have to walk

the short distance between "18N and M" on the map. (in case you miss the stop Both 3T and 9 trams will stop also at Simoninkatu , where is says Taksi on the map and in front of the railway station- in that case you should take tram 3T.

that goes in opposite direction from tram 9)

Then the buses.

First there is bus 24 that will pass close to the monument. Exit #9 tram at the railway station. Walk back 1 1/2 block along kaivokatu and enter at bus top on Mannerheim Road in front of the Sokos department store.

(You can see the stop "24" on the map surrounded by blue lines just under the text "Asema-Aukio - Stationsplatsen")

Exit at stop " Rajasaarentie". Then some 150m walk back along "Mechelininkatu" to the monument. But that bus goes only with long intervals and takes a long route so I don't recommend that one.

To the left of the "M" you see the text "14 18 18N 39 39B 39N". You can take buses 14, 18, 29 or 39B from here and get off at stop "Töölön kirjasto" (thats Töölö library). From it there is a 300m walk west along

"Humalistonkatu" to the monument.

To the right of the text "taksi" you can see "41 42 45 205". Its a one floor glass subway entrance building and buses tops in front of it. You can take buses 41, 42 or 45. They take the same way but in this case the

stop is one block further north and named "Linnankoskenkatu". Again the distance is 300m along "Mechelininkatu" to the monument.

Well, that was the theoretical part. :D Now lets make it into some simple instructions:

- Exit tram 9 at "Kampintori"

- Uphill to corner.

- Take direction towards white building (Finnkino/Museum) and/or McDonalds.

On left side of the street:

After some 100 feet around next corner, buses 41, 42, 45. Exit: "Linnankoskenkatu". Southwards along "Mechelininkatu", into park (300m).

On right side of the street:

After some 100 feet stop for tram 3T (red artistic thing). Exit: "Töölön tori" - Topeliuksenkatu northwards, Sibeliuksenkatu westwards & Mechelinkatu northwards. (750m) or exit "Töölön halli" - Eino Leinon katu & Humalistonkatu westwards, and into park (600m)

On right side of the street 100 feet further on:

Stop for buses 14, 18, 39, 39B. Exit: "Töölön kirjasto". Humalistonkatu westwards, cross "Mechelininkatu", into park (300m). (Thats the option I would use myself)

Edited by Ultima Thule

Thank you so much, Ultima Thule, for explaining the routes in such detail and taking the time in providing the step by step instructions. You have made it very easy to understand and I have a much better sense on what to do. :). I greatly appreciate all your assistance!

Dolfans from Miami

Fine. Its a rather long walk then but quite straightforward. The first section in the harbor along "Hernesaarenranta" is a bit boring. When when reaching the modern houses circle them to the right along "Eiranranta" and then turn left and follow "Telakkakatu". Avoid the Hylkeenpyytäjänkatu-Munkkisaarenkatu way. Apart from the last mentioned all steet combinations you might select will be along decent streets.

I can suggest three ways:

Thanks for the details! I really appreciate your being on-line here to help everyone!

Our kitchen is very basic and the best place to sample it is Market Square. Lohi (salmon), muikku (vendace) and poro (reindeer) are very Finnish and are served with veggies and potatoes.

Munkki is a fine desert, it is a bit like a sugar-coated doughnut with jam inside and they are very popular to have with a cup of coffee.

What is the average price for food at Market Square, reindeer in particular?

There are 4 of us on cruise and we were thinking of just grabbing a cab at the port and seeing if we could get a drive around the city and maybe end up in Market Square. Are cabs available? Is this a cost effective way since there are 4 of us?

Are cabs available? Is this a cost effective way since there are 4 of us?

Availability is hard to predict of course but taxis always turn up when a ferry arrives so I guess some taxis will turn up for the cruise ships as well.

Unlike Stockholm, taxi rates in Helsinki are standardized so that part is no problem. (in this case it should be 5.50 Euro + 1.72 Euro/km):

http://www.taksihelsinki.fi/htdeng/069e6a71-d573-4da1-acb8-1566ce62ed76.aspx

Hello!

My husband and I have two airline layovers in Helsinki this summer. The first will be from 0830 to 1430; the second will be 2300 to 1230.What is the transportation from the airport like? On the second layover, would you get a hotel in the city or near the airport? So little time, so much to see!

Hello!

My husband and I have two airline layovers in Helsinki this summer. The first will be from 0830 to 1430; the second will be 2300 to 1230.What is the transportation from the airport like? On the second layover, would you get a hotel in the city or near the airport? So little time, so much to see!

The transportation options are very good. There is a local bus 615 that takes 40-45 minutes, leaves every 20 minutes and costs 4,50 €.

Then there is the Finnair bus which also leaves every 20 minutes, takes about 30-35 minutes and costs 6,50 €.

They both go to the railway station, but to different sides of it. The stops in the city centre are very clearly marked.

Personally I'd get an airport hotel and not go to the city at all (I like to sleep :D) but you can choose whichever you like. There are several hotels at or close to the airport:

http://www.helsinki-vantaa.fi/services/hotels

Hope you have a great time!

Ultima Thule: After all your time and help, and just when I had our routes planned (thanks to you), our ship's dockage has now changed to Melkki Quay LMA . I understand we now use tram 9, but can you please advise on our return from Seurasaari via bus 24, where can we connect to Tram 9 to return to the ship, please. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

I understand we now use tram 9, but can you please advise on our return from Seurasaari via bus 24, where can we connect to Tram 9 to return to the ship, please.

Exit the bus at stop "Lasipalatsi". Walk to the right of the Sokos department store downhill to the railway station. Take tram 9 from the platform closer to the station building (i.e tram will go towards the way you came from and have the sign "Länsiterminaali).