Helsinki Questions? Glad to help!

When I'm sitting in the bus, is there a sign inside the bus or some sort of announcement as to what the next stop will be? Or is it just based on the signs on the street that I need to be watching for inside the bus?

Oh, and I assume that Bus 16 and 14B have the same stop at Hernesaari? Do they come around about the same times, or does one bus come more often than the other?

The first one is down to luck. Some buses have a sign in the front that shows the next stop and some don't. In the latter case you'll just have to be sharp and watch the stops from the window. The signs are white and yellow and they have a list of route numbers that stop there and the name of the stop in black letters.

They have the same stop. The buses come every 15-20 minutes so in any case it's not a long wait. On most stops there is also a timetable where you can see when the buses are supposed to come.

Hi Sinny,

Thank you for all of your guidance and information on Helsinki. We will be docking in the West Harbour on August, 17. I had read previously that the #9 tram will be extended to the West Harbour to replace the #15 and #15A buses on August 13. Do you know if this is on schedule?

At which stop on the #9 tram would I change to the 3T? Just in case the tram is not extended, which stop on the 15A would I change at for the 3T?

Thanks so much.

The first one is down to luck. Some buses have a sign in the front that shows the next stop and some don't. In the latter case you'll just have to be sharp and watch the stops from the window. The signs are white and yellow and they have a list of route numbers that stop there and the name of the stop in black letters.

They have the same stop. The buses come every 15-20 minutes so in any case it's not a long wait. On most stops there is also a timetable where you can see when the buses are supposed to come.

Thank you Sinny! You are a wealth of information! I am so grateful!

Hi Sinny,

Thank you for all of your guidance and information on Helsinki. We will be docking in the West Harbour on August, 17. I had read previously that the #9 tram will be extended to the West Harbour to replace the #15 and #15A buses on August 13. Do you know if this is on schedule?

At which stop on the #9 tram would I change to the 3T? Just in case the tram is not extended, which stop on the 15A would I change at for the 3T?

Thanks so much.

Hello! It is right on schedule. You can change at the Main Railway station. Just look for the building with the big statues in front. :)

That's where most people get off and it would be the same with the bus.

Hello! It is right on schedule. You can change at the Main Railway station. Just look for the building with the big statues in front. :)

That's where most people get off and it would be the same with the bus.

Thanks so much!

Hi Sinny,

Are we able to get the Tourist Ticket at Hernesaari port anywhere? Or can we buy it from the bus driver?

Thank you!

Hi, you should be able to buy it from the bus driver.

(I'm saying "should" because a user called sippican couldn't but they got a single ticket from the bus and a Tourist ticket then later on from the Tourist centre. However this was a single incident that I've never heard happened before so maybe they just had bad luck.)

Hi, you should be able to buy it from the bus driver.

(I'm saying "should" because a user called sippican couldn't but they got a single ticket from the bus and a Tourist ticket then later on from the Tourist centre. However this was a single incident that I've never heard happened before so maybe they just had bad luck.)

Do they accept credit card. If not, do you know if there is an Cash Mashine/ATM at Hernesaari port? Thank you!

Do they accept credit card. If not, do you know if there is an Cash Mashine/ATM at Hernesaari port? Thank you!

Hi, you can only pay in cash in the bus. There are both an ATM and a ticket machine in Hernesaari and those you can use with a credit card. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1681729

All of you who have been planning to take bus 16 will take 14 and change in Kamppi to 17 or a tram.

Wow! What a change. Thanks for pointing this out.

Ok, I was planning on taking Bus 14 from Hernesaari out to Temppeliaukio, so I'm still ok there, right?

But at the end of the day, I had planned to take Bus 16 from Kauppatori back to Hernesaari. So now that 16 won't operate that way (I'll be there on August 21), how would I get from the Kauppatori area back to Hernesaari?

Ok, I was planning on taking Bus 14 from Hernesaari out to Temppeliaukio, so I'm still ok there, right?

But at the end of the day, I had planned to take Bus 16 from Kauppatori back to Hernesaari. So now that 16 won't operate that way (I'll be there on August 21), how would I get from the Kauppatori area back to Hernesaari?

Yep, you're still there with bus 14.

Take the 3T to Kamppi and change there to 14.

Yep, you're still there with bus 14.

Take the 3T to Kamppi and change there to 14.

Ok, so what was Bus 14B is now just bus 14, but it will have the same stops, just a different bus number?

So, when I leave in the morning and take bus 14 to Temppeliaukio, I would still get off at either Kauppakorkealoulut or Apollonkatu?

And when I want to come back from Kauppatori in the afternoon, I'd take Tram 3T to Kamppi and change to Bus 14 in the direction of Hernesaaren laituri?

Ok, so what was Bus 14B is now just bus 14, but it will have the same stops, just a different bus number?

So, when I leave in the morning and take bus 14 to Temppeliaukio, I would still get off at either Kauppakorkealoulut or Apollonkatu?

And when I want to come back from Kauppatori in the afternoon, I'd take Tram 3T to Kamppi and change to Bus 14 in the direction of Hernesaaren laituri?

YES! Wonderful, you are correct in everything. I'm very proud of you. :)

Hi Marion, the Uspenski is on a hill so it is easy to spot. The view coming to Helsinki is worth seeing as you can see our both cathedrals quite far away.

You can then walk downtown, that'll take you another less than ten minutes. Just head for the other cathedral (which can also be seen from afar -the white one ;)) and you have the right direction.

Just back from my travels, I want to thank you again for all your generous advice on this thread. You really enhanced our independent travel to Kelsinki and Turku.

Of course, I'd like to return for a longer visit one day.

PS We loved the church and the fascinating experience of attending a long church service there.

Hi Sinny. I just looked back at your post of that picture of the ferries coming past Soumenlinna. I also looked at the island on Google Earth. I don't know if I'm going to be able to make it down to the tip of the island to see that, but just wanted to ask a few questions about it. Do the ferries really come as close as that picture implies, or is there some kind of photographical magic going on? (As a photographer, I know that sometimes a change of lenses can really change a picture.) In looking at Google Earth and the paths that the ferry apparently take to get to Helsinki, I just don't understand why they have to get so close to land. Also, if I wanted to see them, where would be a good vantage point? Do I simply walk down to the bottom of the island, southern-most point, by (or on top of?) the triangular fort?

Thanks a lot and kiitos. I'm really looking forward to visiting Helsinki in less than 2 weeks. It looks easier than many cities to visit, thanks to that 3T/B tram, and looks like a very modern city, which will be a change from some of the other Baltic ports we visit.

Edited by roothy123

Hi Sinny. I just looked back at your post of that picture of the ferries coming past Soumenlinna. I also looked at the island on Google Earth. I don't know if I'm going to be able to make it down to the tip of the island to see that, but just wanted to ask a few questions about it. Do the ferries really come as close as that picture implies, or is there some kind of photographical magic going on? (As a photographer, I know that sometimes a change of lenses can really change a picture.) In looking at Google Earth and the paths that the ferry apparently take to get to Helsinki, I just don't understand why they have to get so close to land. Also, if I wanted to see them, where would be a good vantage point? Do I simply walk down to the bottom of the island, southern-most point, by (or on top of?) the triangular fort?

Thanks a lot and kiitos. I'm really looking forward to visiting Helsinki in less than 2 weeks. It looks easier than many cities to visit, thanks to that 3T/B tram, and looks like a very modern city, which will be a change from some of the other Baltic ports we visit.

Hi,

the photos are real. The ferries have to come between the islands and it is indeed a very narrow passage.

In the winter when there are strong winds the ferries are delayed many times as the captain cannot take them safely through the passage before the winds slow down.

There will probably be other people there to see the ferries and the best place is in the south, near Kustaanmiekka.

From there you can see them approaching and then you can move (as they are not coming very fast) to a better spot for the next ferry (there will be two in the morning around 9.30-9.45 and one around 10.45).

Do the ferries really come as close as that picture implies, or is there some kind of photographical magic going on? I just don't understand why they have to get so close to land. Also, if I wanted to see them, where would be a good vantage point?

The first two pictures are taken from same ship you see on Sinppu's picture.

As you can see on these pictures the only way past the fortress deep enough for ships that size is very narrow indeed. The Stockholm ferries going through there twice daily are 581 and 666 feet long.

The largest ship ever going through the strait was 853 feet Orainia (II) as an experiment but ther pilot sad "never again".

The third picture shows what in my mind is a good viewing point, on the east side of the southern island, on the hill north of the "Kings Gate"

gusta1.jpg

gusta2.jpg

gusta3.jpg

Edited by Ultima Thule

Hi,

I am coming to Helsinki late august on an upcoming cruise and was wondering what bus we need to get from Hernesarri to the market square?

I have looked on the bus websites says bus 16, however there are route changes as on 13th August and I have been told that bus 16 is suspended and I wold need to get bus 14 and then bus 17 or the tram.

Is this true that bus 16 is suspended from 13th August?

If so will I need to get bus 14 and change to bus 17 or tram 3B/3T?

Can I walk from bus 14 stop to the market square if so do you know how far it is?

Thank you in advance

Hi,

Is this true that bus 16 is suspended from 13th August?

Yes

If so will I need to get bus 14 and change to bus 17 or tram 3B/3T?

Can I walk from bus 14 stop to the market square if so do you know how far it is?

Here is new route map and stop list for bus 14.

http://aikataulut.hsl.fi/reittiopas/en/line/?&adv=&maploc=&mapline=1675%3A1%3A1014++%3A20120813%3A&keya=&line=14&a=&aa=&an=&mapstyle=&nk=1&map=&px=2552500&py=6671911&ppx=2552500&ppy=6671911&zx=2552500&zy=6671911&ss=&se=&click=1&hlterm=&hlloc=&p=2&print=&zoom=8&x=300&y=200&nc=0&fcmap=&click=2

You could change from bus 14 to tram 3B quite soon after exiting the harbour , the stop name is "tehtaanpuisto" (next to the Michael Agricola church with its high tower.) You'll find tram 3B stops for both directions a little bit forward. You should use the tram stop on the same side as the Eira Hospital (beautiful old yellow Art Neveau type building) to get to the market

Or you can step off the #14 bus at stop "Bulevardi", walk back half a block, turn left and walk along the Boulevard and the Esplanade to the market.

Distance is almost exactly 1 km (0.63 miles), very nice and easy walk.

Edited by Ultima Thule

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sinny:

I think I am brain dead with the changed bus schedule.

We are arriving at Hernesaaren in Sept. My first stop will be for the island. I take bus #14 and get off??? On the ferry to the island, where do I go to see the ferry passing by?

I know I have read your post somewhere but for the life of me cannot find today.

After walking around the island, we want to go to the Rock Church. Is it walkable from the ferry or do we atke the bus? And if bus, which one?

At the end of the day which is the best way to get back to the port?

MAny thanks

Sharon

We are arriving at Hernesaaren in Sept. My first stop will be for the island. I take bus #14 and get off???

As I said in post #223 there is no easy way to get to the market by bus any more.

After walking around the island, we want to go to the Rock Church. Is it walkable from the ferry or do we take the bus? And if bus, which one?

Its 1.2 miles easy walk through downtown. If you don't want to walk you should take tram 3T. Be sure it goes in right direction, (i.e towards the cathedral, not the one going south following the harbour.). Get off at stop "Kauppakorkeakoulut", that should be the seventh stop after the market.

Walk back half a block and turn left and go uphill.

At the end of the day which is the best way to get back to the port?

Bus 14 will take you from the Rock Church region straight back to the ship. Just walk back to where you got off the tram ("Kauppakorkeakoulut") and take the bus in the opposite direction (i.e. going east)