Helsinki Questions? Glad to help!

Hi Sharon,

Ultima Thule answered most of your questions. You need to change in Kamppi. Take the bus 14 there and then take the 3 tram that is going to Kauppatori direction.

That way you'll get to the market square and the island.

Hi Sinny

You said to take tram 3 from Kampii and Uktima Thule says 3B from one or two places?

Help please! Which is better?

There is no tram "3", its either called "3B" or "3T". Its the same tram but it will change name twice during the route. The only time you have to worry of the name is if you get on it at the stop in front of the railway station. In that case you have to remember that tram 3B will turn left and tram 3T will turn right. Otherwise you can ignore the letter.

Edited by Ultima Thule

There is no tram "3", its either called "3B" or "3T". Its the same tram but it will change name twice during the route. The only time you have to worry of the name is if you get on it at the stop in front of the railway station. In that case you have to remember that tram 3B will turn left and tram 3T will turn right. Otherwise you can ignore the letter.

It's really as easy as Sinny says. I was able to find the 3T/B within a block of where our ship's shuttle let us off. It was near stop 27. I then saw it EVERYWHERE.

A word of caution, though: If you're planning to do Soumenlinna and the other things on the 3T tram, don't spend too much time on the island, which is hard. We docked at West Terminal (Vastraterminali or whatever the name is) but not at Henn. It was Melkki quay, a bit over from Henn. We got in around 8, ship was cleared very soon after, and I took the ship-arranged shuttle (not all ships do this!) to near Stockman's Dept. store soon after 8. I easily found the 3B, bought a ticket on board with euro coins, figured out that it was heading south toward Market, took it to the Market, found the city-run ferry near the Presidential Palace (look for scaffolding), waited for next ferry (at 9, I think - 20 mins.), got on and went up top for best view, and asked one of the ferry workers for a brochure, as they were out of English ones on the ferry. When I got to the island, I followed the blue signs and whipped down south to try to see the ferries, but didn't really make it to a good vantage point to see them. However, I WAS able to see them (or at least some of them) in the distance, along with the little lighthouse. After about an hour on the island, I started to feel rushed and walked back to go back. I walked to the Lutheran Cathedral and took the tram to the train station and after photographing a bit in those two places it was past noon and I went back to the ship to get my husband. Shuttle wasn't running from 12 to 1:20 so I took the tram 9 and walked to Melkki Quay. It was not far but a tiny bit scary as I could see my ship (Oceania Marina) but wasn't positive that I could walk through the port to get there. It turned out to be easy, however, and not far (maybe 10 mins.) There was another ship in same area (Henn, I think - Crystal Symphony). Oceania's Nautica was docked right by the market (sweet - small ships always get the best places!)

Due to my wandering in Soumenlinna (which I loved - wish I had had more time there!) and going back to the ship mid-day to get my husband, plus only having from 8 to 4 there (with last shuttle at 3), it was tough doing everything, and I missed the Sibelius Monument and the Rock Church. Some shipmates went to the church and found a group of children practicing there, which they loved. I think it was a choir.

I had a great time and found Helsinki a great port to visit. Uspenski is easy to see from that area, the 3T/B is fantastic, and the fact that Finland uses euros was a plus.

SO - I guess I felt compelled to post just to make sure people know that it is difficult to see everything on a short day in port, and it might be best to prioritize your stops in case you need to cut something out. You will see ferries absolutely everywhere in the Baltic, by the way -

Thanks for your info, Sinny. By the way, from Soumenlinna you can see a little island with a lighthouse. The ferries were passing that island when I made it to a view point near the cannons (before King's Gate) a little before 10. Would you happen to know what island or lighthouse that is? I'm a big lighthouse nut and went crazy in the Baltic seeing so many lighthouses and aids to navigation! Whew!

Edited by roothy123

from Suomenlinna you can see a little island with a lighthouse. The ferries were passing that island when I made it to a view point near the cannons (before King's Gate) a little before 10. Would you happen to know what island or lighthouse that is? I'm a big lighthouse nut and went crazy in the Baltic seeing so many lighthouses and aids to navigation! Whew!

Harmaja if the most known one and might be the one you are thinking of

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmaja

but zoom in on this map yourself:

http://map.openseamap.org/map/?zoom=12&lat=60.13528&lon=24.98437&layers=BFTFFFFFFFF0FF

Harmaja if the most known one and might be the one you are thinking of

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmaja

but zoom in on this map yourself:

http://map.openseamap.org/map/?zoom=12&lat=60.13528&lon=24.98437&layers=BFTFFFFFFFF0FF

Now that I've finally recovered from all those time changes and walking my feet off, I wanted to thank you for this info. When I pull up my Helsinki pictures, I will compare the lighthouse/ferry one to what you've mentioned. It looks a bit different, but probably just because I was not that close to it. I think I was a bit north of the point you recommended for seeing the ferries pass by. I think they were running late that day, as they were still a ways away when I was close to the hill near King's Gate.

That is an awesome mariner's map (openseamap). Too bad I didn't have access to those maps on my cruise. I probably could have identified about a hundred lighthouses or more!

Edited by roothy123

Sinny -

Thank you soooooo much for all of your help with my transportation questions in Helsinki.

I just got back from my cruise yesterday. I was in Helsinki last Tuesday and we loved our time there.

Your help with Bus 14 from Hernesaari was invaluable. We took it straight to Temppeliaukio and then from there took the 3T tram around. When we finished at the end of the day at Market Square, we took the 3T tram back to Kamppi, found bus 14 and took that back to the pier. Had no problems at all!

Other people were lost, but with your help we knew exactly what we were doing!

Thank you!!!

Sinny -

Thank you soooooo much for all of your help with my transportation questions in Helsinki.

I just got back from my cruise yesterday. I was in Helsinki last Tuesday and we loved our time there.

I'm so happy to hear that! I'm glad I could help. :)

Great video! I was just there a few weeks ago, and had to make it a whirlwind tour so I could get back in time. For people who want to do the same, it's really simple (though not necessarily desirable) to spend only half a day there. There are blue signs that point the way south down through the island and then back. That makes it easy to stay on track and not wander too far if your time is limited.

There are maps in English on the city-run ferry (the one shown in Tony's excellent video). If you find the box empty as I did, just ask one of the guys working on the ferry for more!

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I are on the Vision of the Seas next August and stopping in Helsinki for 7 hours. I am of Finnish ancestry so wanted to get a flavor of the country.

We are considering a couple of excursions:

1) Helsinki highlights with brief visit to Sipoo

2) Helsinki highlights with lunch at Kiala Manor and time in Porvoo

3) Helsinki highlights with lunch at Haikko Manor and boat trip down the river and into the Gulf of Finland.

Opinions?

Thanks

Bill

My wife and I are on the Vision of the Seas next August and stopping in Helsinki for 7 hours. I am of Finnish ancestry so wanted to get a flavor of the country.

We are considering a couple of excursions:

1) Helsinki highlights with brief visit to Sipoo

2) Helsinki highlights with lunch at Kiala Manor and time in Porvoo

3) Helsinki highlights with lunch at Haikko Manor and boat trip down the river and into the Gulf of Finland.

Opinions?

Thanks

Bill

Hi Bill,

are these cruise line excursions? It will be a very full day in any case. I definitely recommend Porvoo, it is one of the most beautiful towns in Finland.

• 4 months later...
Hi everyone!

If you have any questions about Helsinki (and/or Finland), I'll be more than happy to help!

Lived here for 11 years so I consider myself an expert :D

Thanks in advance. In the planning stage for Helsinki visit. Do you know the approx distance from the Helsinki Central Train Station to the Design area? Is it a short walk (10-15 minutes) or do we need a tram or bus? If public transportation where located? Bus/Tram# Cost? Do we need to purchase a special transportation card or token?

Many thanks

Carole

Thanks in advance. In the planning stage for Helsinki visit. Do you know the approx distance from the Helsinki Central Train Station to the Design area? Is it a short walk (10-15 minutes) or do we need a tram or bus? If public transportation where located? Bus/Tram# Cost? Do we need to purchase a special transportation card or token?

Many thanks

Carole

If this is what you mean

http://www.designdistrict.fi/map

then it starts just a few blocks south of the railway station.

What can I expect the first week in September? Willlong pants and a light jacket be fine? Thank youi

Most likely, yes.

If it's colder, you'll do fine with a sweater underneath.

Take an umbrella and sunscreen with you in any case and you're good to go :)

Can you recommend a Finnish beer to try as well as food to try? My husband and I are fairly adventurous and love to try out local food and beer.

What kind of beer do you like?

We have excellent microbreweries that produce wonderful beers but they are not sold everywhere, only in selected restaurants and bars.

Beers called Sandels, Kukko (the Rooster) and Lapin Kulta (Lapland Gold) are classics which are sold everywhere and are very popular.

The last one is said to taste like reindeer pi** so if you truly are adventurous... just kidding :p

We have a drink that puzzles tourists very often. It's called "lonkero" and it's gin mixed with grape juice. It's no stronger than beer and it's a light greyish colour and VERY popular, you can get it from every bar, café and restaurant in Finland.

Our kitchen is very basic and the best place to sample it is Market Square. Lohi (salmon), muikku (vendace) and poro (reindeer) are very Finnish and are served with veggies and potatoes.

Munkki is a fine desert, it is a bit like a sugar-coated doughnut with jam inside and they are very popular to have with a cup of coffee.

Edited by Sinppu

Thank you. I was wondering about Reindeer.

I prefer strong, hop flavored beers or ambers. My husband typically likes lagers and pilsners. We are on opposite ends of the beer spectrum but I'm sure we'll find something we like.

Yes, we eat reindeer :)

It has a distinct taste and it's a bit on the expensive side. It is considered a festive dish.

All the beers I mentioned above are lagers.

Sinebrychoff Porter might be more to your taste, but if the particular restaurant doesn't have it, they can recommend something else to you. Just be precise in asking for Finnish beer so you don't end up with a bottle of Czech beer (they are VERY popular here).

If you aren't pressured for time, I'll recommend a restaurant called Teerenpeli. It's located very close to the Kamppi Shopping Centre and they brew their own beers. They are very popular and have many different varieties (also blueberry and lingonberry ciders -YUM).

Yes, we eat reindeer :)

It has a distinct taste and it's a bit on the expensive side. It is considered a festive dish.

All the beers I mentioned above are lagers.

Sinebrychoff Porter might be more to your taste, but if the particular restaurant doesn't have it, they can recommend something else to you. Just be precise in asking for Finnish beer so you don't end up with a bottle of Czech beer (they are VERY popular here).

If you aren't pressured for time, I'll recommend a restaurant called Teerenpeli. It's located very close to the Kamppi Shopping Centre and they brew their own beers. They are very popular and have many different varieties (also blueberry and lingonberry ciders -YUM).

Hi

Just wondering if you think this will work?

We are in port from 7 - 5 on a Sun

We will be docking at Hernesaari in WestHarbour

Plan buy 24 hour pass and take bus 14 to Tram 3B to Tram 3T to Market Square, see as much around there then take a boat tour for 1 !/2 hours ...back to square until around 2:30 and head back to the boat: Also where in Market Square to get ciders sound Yummy along with a drink called lonkero

Edited by Winesome

Don't forget Karhu beer, and Karjala (returning Karelia one pint at a time)

For me, Lapin Kulta and Koff will do if they are the only offering, but given the choice Karhu and Karjala are my preferences.

....or sahti !.........

Hmm so now I'm wondering what to do during our port day. Originally I was thinking about the ship's tour (yes I know) to see the highlights then take a trip to Porvoo and lunch at a horse farm. But with all the different beer and food options I"m thinking a quick highlights tour of Helsinki and then wandering around the town on our own. More research to do!