Helsinki Questions? Glad to help!

Sinny,

I appreciated all your advice last year when I visited two ports of call in Finland, for the first time.

I am considering a cruise which will visit the following three ports of call in Finland -

• Mariehamn
  • Vaasa
  • Kemi

Have you visited any of these places/have any comments on them?

Thank you for your assistance.

Indeed the two first ones I have. I've been to Mariehamn plenty of times, my employer has their headquarters there. It is a small town, very idyllic. Beautiful in the summer with quite a lot to offer, especially to those interested in history and/or marine history. Plenty of tourists so the services are excellent.

Vaasa is also nice in the summer. It is an old town with a small university and plenty of historical buildings to see.

I've never been to Kemi and I only know there is a beautiful new gothic church. It is a smallish town quite close to Lapland.

Indeed the two first ones I have. I've been to Mariehamn plenty of times, my employer has their headquarters there. It is a small town, very idyllic. Beautiful in the summer with quite a lot to offer, especially to those interested in history and/or marine history. Plenty of tourists so the services are excellent.

Vaasa is also nice in the summer. It is an old town with a small university and plenty of historical buildings to see.

I've never been to Kemi and I only know there is a beautiful new gothic church. It is a smallish town quite close to Lapland.

Thank you so much for your prompt response, Sinny.

Hi

We are visitng for a day in July and was hoping for a little help!! We have 6 active people and one grandma who does not have much stamina for walking..any suggestions and what we should do? I really love the idea of the market

thanks

Mel

Sinny and Ultima Thula: Thank you so much for all your time and information provided. I could not have planned an independent touring day in Helsinki without your help. Let's see if I have understood all the posts correctly.

We arrive in Helsinki on Saturday, September 14, 2013; West Harbour-Hernesaari Quay LHB, and will be in port from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., which means our touring time is 9:30-5:00. If our ship does not offer a shuttle into the city center, to get to Market Square, we will take Bus 14 to the Tehtaanpuisto stop. On the bus we can purchase all day tickets (with small bills) from the driver.

When we exit the 14 bus we will find the Tram 3B stop on the same side as the Eira Hospital. Questions: when we exit the 14 bus do we turn left or right to head to the Tram 3B and is the tram stop on the same side of the street where the bus lets us off or across the street; what is the name of the tram stop?

Take the 3B tram to the Kauppatori stop for Market Square. From there we can tour by foot or use the 3B/3T tram. We have allowed approximately three hours for this.

At approximately 1:00 p.m.-depending on the bus schedule we will take Bus 24 to Seurasaari Island to tour the Open Air Museum. My research shows that they are open until Sept. 16th and I have sent an inquiry to confirm this. To catch Bus 24 we go to the Erottaja bus stop on Mannerheimintie near the Stockmann Department Store. Questions: is the closest Tram stop to the Erottaja bus stop Aleksanterinkatu? If so, where are both the Tram and Bus stops in relation to the Stockmann clock?

Is three hours enough time to tour the Open Air Museum and travel both ways?

When we return from Seurasaari via Bus 24 we will get off at the Erottaja stop. From there we will take the 3T Tram to the Kamppi stop where we will transfer to Bus 14 to take us back to the ship.

I do have a couple of more questions: Do the drivers on the buses and trams announce the upcoming stops? How do you indicate you wish to exit at a stop-are there pull cords or do you just walk to the front of the vehicle and tell the driver you wish to get off the next stop? Do the buses and trams stop at Every stop?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

When we exit the 14 bus we will find the Tram 3B stop on the same side as the Eira Hospital. Questions: when we exit the 14 bus do we turn left or right to head to the Tram 3B

and is the tram stop on the same side of the street where the bus lets us off or across the street; what is the name of the tram stop?

The #14 bus will turn left at the corner after the stop but you will continue forward over the street. Then the stop is on the RIGHT side of the street seen from you. The same side as the old Art Nouveau building with towers and stone walls (thats the hospital) The tram stop is called "Eiran Sairaala" and after the name on the platform roof you can see the code number "0443". (There is one stop opposite with the same name but with code "0442", for trams going in the other direction - DON'T take that one).

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=sv&ll=60.158022,24.940848&spn=0.002357,0.008256&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=60.158051,24.941472&panoid=rqsQr4OVraIs3sOiBIhtJw&cbp=12,92.74,,0,6.11

(If you miss to get off the correct bus stop, don't panic. Get off at a later stop on Fredrikinkatu and in that case locate a tram stop for a tram that goes in opposite direction of what the bus did)

To catch Bus 24 we go to the Erottaja bus stop on

Mannerheimintie near the Stockmann Department Store. Questions: is the closest Tram stop to the Erottaja bus stop Aleksanterinkatu?

If so, where are both the Tram and Bus stops in relation to the Stockmann clock?

The stop is in front of the Swedish Theatre (white building south of the Stockmann department store - the Stockmann clock is on the north side of the department store).

You got three possibilities:

1) walk along the Esplanade park from the Market area to the Swedish Theatre (that's the best solution in my mind).

2) Take the 3T tram southwards from the Market all the way around the south part of the city and jump off in front of the Stockmann department store (that's the west side of the building), stop is called "Erottaja" and tram has changed

name to 3B during the way. Then walk half a block south to the bus stop.

3) You can take tram 3T northwards to the railway station (stop: "Rautatieasema"), then walk forward another 1 1/2 block, turn right and little bit further on you'll find another bus 24 stop (name: "Lasipalatsi) on Mannerheim road in front of the Sokos department store (two blocks north of Stockmann department store)

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=sv&ll=60.170241,24.938203&spn=0.002356,0.008256&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=60.170241,24.938203&panoid=cXbqGgLMEaAVGmuHYwC9Ng&cbp=12,358.34,,0,7.29

When we return from Seurasaari via Bus 24 we will get off at the Erottaja stop. From there we will take the 3T Tram to the Kamppi stop where we will transfer to Bus 14 to take us back to the ship.

If you plan to go straight from Seurasaari to the ship then ignore the tram and change directly from bus 24 to bus 14. You get off bus 14 at stop "Fredrikinkatu". You'll actually now be on "Eteläinen Rautatiekatu"

(in front of a a former gas station).

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=sv&ll=60.170146,24.929756&spn=0.002367,0.008256&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=60.170146,24.929756&panoid=GyuBL_miIakqDwb2KGPGTg&cbp=12,105.9,,0,4.47

You then go back half a block, over the street, turn left and then youll find bus 14 stop a bit forward. (You'll not find a picture of that stop on Google maps as it is quite new)

Do the drivers on the buses and trams announce the upcoming stops?

There is a digital boards that first will show name of destination and then change to show name of next stop in Finnish and Swedish, alternating between the languages. Of course there is always

a small chance that the board will get of the step (that happened to me at Stockholm once) so its better to keep a map handy and follow where you are.

How do you indicate you wish to exit at a stop-are there pull cords or do you just walk to the front of the vehicle and tell the driver you wish to get off the next stop?

There are red buttons on most vertical rods (hand grips) and also blue buttoms for longer stops (baby carrage etc.) next to the doors.

Do the buses and trams stop at Every stop?

Trams stops at every stop. Buses will slow down a bit to see if there is anyone waiting at the stop. Put out your right hand and give it a wave.

Edited by Ultima Thule

You then go back half a block, over the street, turn left and then you'll find bus 14 stop a bit forward. (You'll not find a picture of that stop on Google maps as it is quite new)

Clarification/correction (as I guess you try to find it all on a map):

The bus 24 stop where you get off is on Eteläinen Rautatienkatu between Fredrikinkatu and Jaakonkatu.

The 14 stop is then on Fredrikinkatu, just south of the Salomoninkatu corner (one block further SE than I said earlier) and the bus stop should be on the west side of the street (i.e bus going southwards). Name of bus stop is Kamppi. The stop can actually be seen on Google (in the background just to the left of bus)

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=sv&ll=60.168228,24.931605&spn=0.004713,0.016512&t=m&layer=c&cbll=60.168155,24.931606&panoid=vXBv5IqeZT8XhXXOL1bjkA&cbp=12,333.49,,0,-2.16&z=17

Hope you can help to finalize our plans :)

We will be on the Emerald Princess arriving in West Harbour on June 11. I understand that Tram 9 will take us to the area near the Market Square. What destination will be on the Tram? Do we take the same tram to return to West Harbour?

Where is the stop for Tram 3A/3B located in respect to Market Square?

Thanks.

Edited by Alaskanb

. I understand that Tram 9 will take us to the area near the Market Square. What destination will be on the Tram?

Do we take the same tram to return to West Harbour?

No, but tram 9 wil pass the railway station. From there you can either continue with tram 3T going in the SAME directon (i.e from the same platform) to the Market Square or take a walk through downtown (0.55 miles).

Tram 9 going away from the harbor will be marked "Pasilan asema / Böle Station", the one going to the harbor "Länsiterminaalin / Västra terminalen"

http://aikataulut.hsl.fi/reittiopas/en/line/?&adv=&maploc=&mapline=67%3A2%3A1009++%3A20120813%3A&keya=&line=9&a=&aa=&an=&mapstyle=&nk=1&map=&px=2551281&py=6671775&ppx=2551281&ppy=6671775&zx=2551281&zy=6671775&ss=&se=&click=2&hlterm=&hlloc=&p=2&print=&zoom=8&x=450&y=100&width=600&height=400&nc=1

But I have to give a warning about tram 9. Be prepared that when a ferry arrives from or leaves for Estonia at the West Terminal the tram will be completly filled up with passengers and I mean FILLED UP, many of them with heavy trunks and boxes with beer. Add to that 20-30 foreigners (Russians etc.) who try to buy tram tickets using rudimental English and for them an unfamiliar currency and you got the idea.

Where is the stop for Tram 3A/3B located in respect to Market Square?

The tram 3T stops are near the fountain on the west side of the market. The tram going south stops on the south side of the fountain with the tram pointing towards the market, the one going north/west (towards the railway station) stops on the east side of the fountain with the tram pointing towards the white catedral.

Edited by Ultima Thule

No, but tram 9 wil pass the railway station. From there you can either continue with tram 3T going in the SAME directon (i.e from the same platform) to the Market Square or take a walk through downtown (0.55 miles).

Tram 9 going away from the harbor will be marked "Pasilan asema / Böle Station", the one going to the harbor "Länsiterminaalin / Västra terminalen"

http://aikataulut.hsl.fi/reittiopas/en/line/?&adv=&maploc=&mapline=67%3A2%3A1009++%3A20120813%3A&keya=&line=9&a=&aa=&an=&mapstyle=&nk=1&map=&px=2551281&py=6671775&ppx=2551281&ppy=6671775&zx=2551281&zy=6671775&ss=&se=&click=2&hlterm=&hlloc=&p=2&print=&zoom=8&x=450&y=100&width=600&height=400&nc=1

But I have to give a warning about tram 9. Be prepared that when a ferry arrives from or leaves for Estonia at the West Terminal the tram will be completly filled up with passengers and I mean FILLED UP, many of them with heavy trunks and boxes with beer. Add to that 20-30 foreigners (Russians etc.) who try to buy tram tickets using rudimental English and for them an unfamiliar currency and you got the idea.

The tram 3T stops are near the fountain on the west side of the market. The tram going south stops on the south side of the fountain with the tram pointing towards the market, the one going north/west (towards the railway station) stops on the east side of the fountain with the tram pointing towards the white catedral.

Thank You so much --especially the info about Tram 9 :eek: Are there other public transportation options from West Harbor? Perhaps a ship's shuttle would be best!

Thanks for offering to help with plans in Helsinki! We will be coming in early June and arriving at the West dock. We walk a lot and wonder if it would be too far (due to time constraints) or too difficult (port traffic?) to walk to Market Square from the dock. If it's under 3k and there aren't difficulties of route, we would do that just to enjoy the walk.

We know our time doesn't allow to see everything, so our plan is to go to take the ferry to the Fortress and then later in the day go to the Parliament area, the Market and wander. We don't have too much planned as we tend to see things of interest and get off track. :D Would it be worth it to buy a daily transit pass or just the ferry ride plus walking? What would your recommendation be for a general route to take on our wanderings? Is it worth it to take a tram loop to see an overview of town? We will be arriving at the dock 0700 and leaving 1700 on a Sunday. Thanks for any ideas!!:)

Edited by jljcruise

We will be coming in early June and arriving at the West dock. We walk a lot and wonder if it would be too far to walk to Market Square from the dock. If it's under 3k and there aren't difficulties of route, we would do that just to enjoy the walk.

It depends a bit on the dock. if it is dock LHB , #2 on this map:

http://www.portofhelsinki.fi/passengers/international_cruise

then the distance (shorest way) is a bit less than 3km walk with no traffic issues. Dock LHC (#1) is the same way but further away so the distance will be some 3.5 km. Bus 14 is here an option.

For quays LH7 and LMA on the north side the distance will be even longer (some 3.8 km). In this case you first have to find your waty to the west temonal (Länsiterminaali) see map:

http://www.portofhelsinki.fi/download/12970_Kartta_Lansisataman_satama_alueesta.pdf

from there tram #9 is an option (but read the warning in post 283). There is a pedestrian road to the end of the bay (the dotted line near the water on the map). It passes on a platform the seaside of of two magazines and personally I don't really like that section (feeling kind of trapped between a wall and a grid).

Would it be worth it to buy a daily transit pass or just the ferry ride plus walking?/quote]

Ferry ticket alone is 5 Euro, a one day ticket (including the ferry) is 8 Euro. I think the latter would be worth it.

Edited by Ultima Thule

Ultima Thule,

Is there a way to find out if there will be a ferry disembarking at a certain time on a certain day, in order to avoid the chaos of Tram 9? We are not arriving in Helsinki until August 24 and then not until 10am in that morning. Websites I can search for, for each ferry company? or the Helsinki port site?

Thank you!

Melissa

Ultima Thule,

Is there a way to find out if there will be a ferry disembarking at a certain time on a certain day, in order to avoid the chaos of Tram 9? We are not arriving in Helsinki until August 24 and then not until 10am in that morning. Websites I can search for, for each ferry company? or the Helsinki port site?

Thank you!

Melissa

I think this is what we will need to avoid Tram 9 issues. The arrivals are also on the port site.

http://www.portofhelsinki.fi/passengers/departure_times_and_terminals#St%20Petersburg

Ultimate Thule ,

Any chance you can pop over to the Stockholm advice thread and make some comments about Vartahamnen? I was told you are familiar with it. It looks like a ferry dock in the pictures and not too easily accessible to public transportation even though bus #76 goes by outside the fence. Thanks!

I think this is what we will need to avoid Tram 9 issues. The arrivals are also on the port site.

http://www.portofhelsinki.fi/passengers/departure_times_and_terminals#St%20Petersburg

Also looks as though there is a HSL ticket ??? outside the West Terminal. Does anyone know if the instructions are available in English and can we get the day pass from there? Thanks

Hi Sinny...Four of us will be spending a day, 0800-1700, in Helsinki on a cruise and I have read through a lot of the posts. What do you think of this intinerary: Hilites of Helsinki and time in Porvoo? Is this doable in a day with time for lunch? Any suggestions for guides? Would appreciate any advice. Please email me: chaslin@surewest.net:)

Ultima Thule,

Sadly, from your point of view, there is a LOT of ferry traffic going on daily. :( Tallink will use three ferries (star, SuperStar and Europa) to Estonia this summer and Eckerö Line one (Finlandia). Add to that the ferry (Princess Maria) to St. Petersburg.

http://www.tallinksilja.com/en/schedules/helTal/

https://www.eckeroline.fi/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Content_10151_10001_-1?page=index.php%3Foption%3Dcom_content%26view%3Darticle%26id%3D182%26lang%3Den-GB&smi=193&menuid=324&storeId=10151

http://stpeterline.com/en/Goodtoknow/CheckInandterminals.aspx

Edited by Ultima Thule

Also looks as though there is a HSL ticket ??? outside the West Terminal. Does anyone know if the instructions are available in English and can we get the day pass from there? Thanks

The machines have instructions in English. The maximum amount of change they can give is 19,90 euros so keep that in mind when buying tickets.

The machines have instructions in English. The maximum amount of change they can give is 19,90 euros so keep that in mind when buying tickets.

Thanks. I'm not seeing a break in the ferry traffic that will help us out very much. We will just have to wait until we can get a seat :(

If we get the day tickets from the machine do we have to show them to the driver on embarking the tram? If not can we use any door?

Just don't want to contribute to slowing down the system....

Thanks. I'm not seeing a break in the ferry traffic that will help us out very much. We will just have to wait until we can get a seat :(

If we get the day tickets from the machine do we have to show them to the driver on embarking the tram? If not can we use any door?

Just don't want to contribute to slowing down the system....

You can use any door. You don't have to show your ticket to the driver (only exception are the bus drivers). If you happen to meet a ticket inspector, they'll want to see your ticket but they will announce it to all passengers.

You can use any door. You don't have to show your ticket to the driver (only exception are the bus drivers). If you happen to meet a ticket inspector, they'll want to see your ticket but they will announce it to all passengers.

Many thanks for helping us to get started on enjoying Helsinki :)

It depends a bit on the dock. if it is dock LHB , #2 on this map:

http://www.portofhelsinki.fi/passengers/international_cruise

then the distance (shorest way) is a bit less than 3km walk with no traffic issues. Dock LHC (#1) is the same way but further away so the distance will be some 3.5 km. Bus 14 is here an option.

For quays LH7 and LMA on the north side the distance will be even longer (some 3.8 km). In this case you first have to find your way to the west temonal (Länsiterminaali) see map:

http://www.portofhelsinki.fi/download/12970_Kartta_Lansisataman_satama_alueesta.pdf

Thanks for the great links with such detailed info! I think walking will depend on which side we end up on -- the distances sound fine. :)

I thought I had all my plans in place for docking at Hernesaari Quay LHB and taking bus 14 to Rock Church but now it appears we will be docking at West Harbor LMA. :eek:...So now what? I am reading over the past several posts and I guess we will need to take Tram 9? :confused: Our plan is to visit Sibellius Park, Rock Church, Upensky/Lutheran Churches and Market Square. My question is where should we start our day? I am not sure where Tram 9 goes and where we should get the tram from where we are docked. I also would like to know if there's a place to purchase the day ticket at the dock or if we can purchase it on the tram like we were going to from the bus driver. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Dolfans from Miami