Need help badly

Can anyone help? I have read all over the place about St Croix and it looks like there is not a lot to do and see here. Can anyone help suggest what DH and I can do besides getting off ship, taking a quick walk around Fredrickstead and getting back on the ship. Do not want to go on a 45 min ride into Christenstead if there is nothing there either. DH and I dont dive/scuba or take in beaches.

Checked the excursions RCCl offers and there isnt a lot there of interest either

Any help would be appreciated

Not to question but if you don't like beaches or snorkeling or scuba then why are you going to the Caribbean. TO be honest I don't find any island (and I have been to a lot of them) to be so compelling that I would take a Caribbean cruise to see them. Cultural experiences or historical sites-there just is not a lot there in either category. It's all about the sun, surf and sand!

Not to question but if you don't like beaches or snorkeling or scuba then why are you going to the Caribbean. TO be honest I don't find any island (and I have been to a lot of them) to be so compelling that I would take a Caribbean cruise to see them. Cultural experiences or historical sites-there just is not a lot there in either category. It's all about the sun, surf and sand!

I disagree. We've taken a number of tours of the various islands and have learned that each has a unique and storied past.

OP, it would be helpful to know what you DO like to do, rather than what you don't.:)

I live on the ocean. So I don't go to the Caribbean to go to the beach either. I love exploring the islands, meeting people, and learning about their cuture and ways. For some of us there is much more to the Caribbean than sun, surf, and sand.

Cultural experiences or historical sites-there just is not a lot there in either category. It's all about the sun, surf and sand!

Really? So you must not think much of the historic forts on many of the islands, or the local markets, local crafters' boutiques, and small restaurants. Gosh, that's too bad. :( :p ;)

I live on the ocean. So I don't go to the Caribbean to go to the beach either. I love exploring the islands, meeting people, and learning about their cuture and ways. For some of us there is much more to the Caribbean than sun, surf, and sand.

Yo! Which way to Scarborough?:D

Sorry couldn't resist but sun, surf, and sand is right up there.:)

We were just on Serenade two weeks ago and one of our stops was St. Croix. The cab ride to Christiansted was not 45 minutes, more like 25 or 30. It was well worth the ride. It's a very quaint town with lots shops and eateries. There are shuttles that run back and forth quite regularly so you can spend as little or as much time there as you want. I recommend going there in the morning then come back to the ship for the afternoon.

Christiansted is one of the coolest towns in the Caribbean...well worth the half hour ride from the ship. The fish tacos and the view at Angry Nates is worth the ride itself, not to mention the quaint shops around town.

We were just on Serenade two weeks ago and one of our stops was St. Croix. The cab ride to Christiansted was not 45 minutes, more like 25 or 30. It was well worth the ride. It's a very quaint town with lots shops and eateries. There are shuttles that run back and forth quite regularly so you can spend as little or as much time there as you want. I recommend going there in the morning then come back to the ship for the afternoon.

Absolutely! Go over to Cchristiansted - you will not regret it!

Christiansted is one of the coolest towns in the Caribbean...well worth the half hour ride from the ship. The fish tacos and the view at Angry Nates is worth the ride itself, not to mention the quaint shops around town.

Absolutely - go over to Christiansted - you will not regret it!

We were just on Serenade a few weeks ago and did an ATV excursion booked privately through a local company as they do not work through the ship excursions.

We were really high up the mountains and had a very beautiful overlook of the ships in port and other seascapes; went to a 200+ year old sugar mill, and finished riding through the rain forest.

We had a blast!

Maybe it'll be your thing, maybe not. Just offering a suggestion.

Another beach person here. I live the sand, sun and surf so when I'm on vacation and I enjoy checking out other beaches, I prefer to learn about the history and the people of the area. I especially enjoy the local crafts.

There is also, if you live at the beach you see plenty of tourists on vacation so that is no vacation for me. :eek: It was cool visiting one of the local's beaches on a visit to San Juan, Puerto Rico a couple of years ago.

I prefer Misquamicut.;)

I like Scarborough - tho it is far for us as we are in Western CT - just not crazy about the admission fee for out-of-staters! We have rented a house there several summers! But - if we go cruising - no cooking and no dishes!

I grew up in NJ so I actually prefer LBI but that is too much $$$ and Garden State Parkway is just a parking lot in the summer - no matter how many lanes they add!!

I have both Frommer and The Lonely Planet and even in them there isnt much

Get a guidebook on your ports...it will tell you EVERYTHING of interest that there is there! Libraries have guidebooks, or you can buy one.....it's the best investment into port days you can get!

I love the Caribbean, the people, the scenery, the laid back life style. No offense to anyone intended, but I cannot see sitting in the hot sun baking, I find it boring, so beaches are not for me.

I think I know which one you mean (like a certain commercial) We were looking into booking that one - yes we are interested. We have booked trikes in Aruba and thought the ATV's would be fun. Just wanted feelers are to what else there might be as the only thing we had seen was the beer drinking pigs - could be fun to watch. Do they also take you to where you can purchase local crafts? I love scenery, meeting the locals, history and love purchasing locallly made crafts.

We were just on Serenade a few weeks ago and did an ATV excursion booked privately through a local company as they do not work through the ship excursions.

We were really high up the mountains and had a very beautiful overlook of the ships in port and other seascapes; went to a 200+ year old sugar mill, and finished riding through the rain forest.

We had a blast!

Well, my opinion is in contrast to the others. I was there in November and took the shuttle to Christenstead. We were very disappointed, found St. Croix to be one of our least favorite islands, and found nothing interesting about Christenstead. After about 30 minutes of walking around, we ended up just sitting down at a bar out of shear boredom. Also, it was a very long wait to catch the shuttle van back. They were few and far between and when they did show up, it was every man/woman for themselves to get a seat. The highlight was the free Cruzan rum while waiting for the shuttle.

Yeah that is more like what I have heard and read. Thanks for your honest opinion. Still leaning towards just walking around Fedrickstead which they say is quite quick and then relaxing the rest of the day on the ship.

Well, my opinion is in contrast to the others. I was there in November and took the shuttle to Christenstead. We were very disappointed, found St. Croix to be one of our least favorite islands, and found nothing interesting about Christenstead. After about 30 minutes of walking around, we ended up just sitting down at a bar out of shear boredom. Also, it was a very long wait to catch the shuttle van back. They were few and far between and when they did show up, it was every man/woman for themselves to get a seat. The highlight was the free Cruzan rum while waiting for the shuttle.

We had a blast!

It sounds like the one we did- we booked through Gecko, highly recommend it. While St. Croix was not our top S. Caribbean port, the AT tour was certianly our best excursion. Good luck!

St Croix is all about beaches, probably some of the best in the Carib. But if you don't like sun/sand/water I think I might just prefer to stay onboard unless you like to just sit and relax at a hotel bar. But the photos for St. Croix beaches are to die for:

beach-time-300x225.jpg

St Croix is all about beaches, probably some of the best in the Carib. But if you don't like sun/sand/water I think I might just prefer to stay onboard unless you like to just sit and relax at a hotel bar. But the photos for St. Croix beaches are to die for:

I try to do my best to just book cruises that don't stop there. Once was enough.

As a previous poster mentioned, we also did an ATV tour through a private vendor a year ago and it was one of the highlights of our cruise. There were only about six bikes so it wasn't crowded. Can't remember the name of the firm though. I think I found it on the St Croix tourism page.

Archived