Elite benefit question

cruisesusie

My husband and I are elite and will be traveling with 2 other couples. We have an early private tour and would like to leave the ship together. Will our friends, who are not elite, be able to leave on the first tender with us?

Thanks,

Susan

My husband and I are elite and will be traveling with 2 other couples. We have an early private tour and would like to leave the ship together. Will our friends, who are not elite, be able to leave on the first tender with us?

Thanks,

Susan

No, just a non elite spouse may accompany you. No friends....where would it end if they allowed it?? Everyone would be down to go on the first tender.

Your friends should make sure they are among the first in line for tender tickets and plan to meet you at the dock.

Some will tell you to just have them come with you, that no one checks. I've seen them checking and that could wind up being embarrassing. Besides, the priority tendering is a perk earned by loyalty and someone who hasn't earned that perk is taking space in the tender from someone who has. The first tenders are filled by Princess tours, those with early tender tickets and Elite/Suite, and there are just so many seats.

Thanks,

Susan

Trade spouses for the purpose of tendering together. I can understand why people traveling together would want to stay together for a legitimate reason.

Susan ~

I have been an Elite for many years and always travel with some of my friends who are not Elite. We always are allowed to board together as a group as well as using the tenders! We have never had a problem you just say you are all traveling together!

Thanks,

Susan

2 other couples? No.

Tour operators understand that people may take some time to be able to get off the ship and will adjust their start time to match, especially if there are others besides your 6. If that is the case then they will wait for the last passengers to arrive, and your early Elite tendering buys you nothing. If they cannot accomodate people tendering then I suggest you find another tour.

Let us know what port you are talking about. Some ports provide large private tenders which can carry twice the capacity, and tendering is not a big issue. For other ports tendering is an issue regardless of Captain Circle class.

Susie - one way of looking at it - if you and your husband wanted to use your elite tender benefit, and were told you'd have to take a later tender because some earlier elites brought their friends and took up all the seats, how would you react?

2 other couples? No.

Tour operators understand that people may take some time to be able to get off the ship and will adjust their start time to match, especially if there are others besides your 6. If that is the case then they will wait for the last passengers to arrive, and your early Elite tendering buys you nothing. If they cannot accomodate people tendering then I suggest you find another tour.

Let us know what port you are talking about. Some ports provide large private tenders which can carry twice the capacity, and tendering is not a big issue. For other ports tendering is an issue regardless of Captain Circle class.

The tour operator just suggested we try to disembark as early as possible - he never said it was mandatory. The port is Falkland Islands.

Susan

susie - one way of looking at it - if you and your husband wanted to use your elite tender benefit, and were told you'd have to take a later tender because some earlier elites brought their friends and took up all the seats, how would you react?

good point

We have always been allowed to take our friends with us for priority boarding of tenders. Years ago your room Steward would get us extra tickets. In the past few years we've been told to just take them with us when we're ready to leave the ship. They will now be Elite on their next cruise.

The tour operator just suggested we try to disembark as early as possible - he never said it was mandatory. The port is Falkland Islands.
If you've booked with Patrick Watts, he's very experienced with Princess tenders. Usually, he waits for at least a couple of tenders to arrive. While they take longer to load off the ship, they disembark fairly quickly one after the other.

Be aware that Stanley is one port that you have almost as good a chance of missing as making. :( Weather is a big factor.

Your friends should make sure they are among the first in line for tender tickets and plan to meet you at the dock.

Some will tell you to just have them come with you, that no one checks. I've seen them checking and that could wind up being embarrassing. Besides, the priority tendering is a perk earned by loyalty and someone who hasn't earned that perk is taking space in the tender from someone who has. The first tenders are filled by Princess tours, those with early tender tickets and Elite/Suite, and there are just so many seats.

I absolutely agree with Pam, on our last cruise on the Grand we had 4 tender ports and at each one we saw people sent back from the tender dock because they were not Elite and they did not have tender tickets. Surprisingly, even when 2 passengers decided to argue with the tender people they were still sent back, previously we have noticed that Princess crew tend to quickly give in to passengers who disagree with the rules.

If you've booked with Patrick Watts, he's very experienced with Princess tenders. Usually, he waits for at least a couple of tenders to arrive. While they take longer to load off the ship, they disembark fairly quickly one after the other.

Be aware that Stanley is one port that you have almost as good a chance of missing as making. :( Weather is a big factor.

Yes, we've booked with Patrick Watts - I've read some excellent reviews of his tours - looking forward to it. Keeping our fingers crossed that the weather will cooperate.

We have always been allowed to take our friends with us for priority boarding of tenders. Years ago your room Steward would get us extra tickets. In the past few years we've been told to just take them with us when we're ready to leave the ship. They will now be Elite on their next cruise.

Hi Joyce,

I don't know if you remember us, but we cruised with you on a transatlantic with Al Richman in 2002 ( I think ). We had a large meet & great group - the cruise started in Venice. I think that was the cruise of the broken windows on the promenade deck during the storm. I see you're still cruising - hopefully we'll never stop.

Susan and Neil

• 2 months later...
Susie - one way of looking at it - if you and your husband wanted to use your elite tender benefit, and were told you'd have to take a later tender because some earlier elites brought their friends and took up all the seats, how would you react?

Excellant point. Most folks only look at things as to how it effects them, until the are the ones effected negatively by someone with the same purpose. H

Next cruise they qualify, until then they qualified under the table. I am sure Celebrity does not have that as a policy. H

Thanks,

Susan

I had the same situation on a cruise I took. The Captain's Circle Hostess made it possible for my friends to leave early and join us on the tour. Speak to her and I am sure you will find her most helpful.

~Doris~

Susan ~

I have been an Elite for many years and always travel with some of my friends who are not Elite. We always are allowed to board together as a group as well as using the tenders! We have never had a problem you just say you are all traveling together!

So seriously, perhaps you can answer the previously posed question: "Why do you think it's OK to keep other passengers waiting longer for a tender, just so your friends can enjoy a benefit they haven't earned?" It's not like going to the Platinum/Elite Lounge - boarding the next tender is a zero-sum game. Your friends get on, someone who's been waiting has to wait longer.

I'm just wretched Platinum, but I've never been on a sailing when I didn't make friends with folks who are Elite. So if I asked them if I could board with them, maybe I could force you guys to wait for a later tender, huh?

When we cruise with friends traveling in a different cabin who aren't entitled to our same CC perks, we don't use them either. That really is the most reasonable choice. If it bothers someone to give up a perk that they feel they've earned, then they should go it alone without their traveling companions.

I think it's different with cabin mates. I don't think Princess intends that someone would board the ship, take a tender or go to the Elite lounge alone.

I think it's different with cabin mates. I don't think Princess intends that someone would board the ship, take a tender or go to the Elite lounge alone.

I agree... in fact I have been told frequently by Princess staff that cabin mates can be included on tender tickets, lounges and priority boarding.

I had the same situation on a cruise I took. The Captain's Circle Hostess made it possible for my friends to leave early and join us on the tour. Speak to her and I am sure you will find her most helpful.

~Doris~

I am not impressed!

Well, it is one thing to be Princess Elite and quite another to act Elitist. Your maneuvering and the hostess circumventing the rules makes it bad for everyone. It is now likely that Captain's Circle Hostesses will be told that special treatment in this way is not acceptable and is unfair to other passengers.

The websites have ears.

so seriously, perhaps you can answer the previously posed question: "why do you think it's ok to keep other passengers waiting longer for a tender, just so your friends can enjoy a benefit they haven't earned?" it's not like going to the platinum/elite lounge - boarding the next tender is a zero-sum game. Your friends get on, someone who's been waiting has to wait longer.

I'm just wretched platinum, but i've never been on a sailing when i didn't make friends with folks who are elite. So if i asked them if i could board with them, maybe i could force you guys to wait for a later tender, huh?

brava!

When we cruise with friends traveling in a different cabin who aren't entitled to our same CC perks, we don't use them either. That really is the most reasonable choice. If it bothers someone to give up a perk that they feel they've earned, then they should go it alone without their traveling companions.

If Princess considers it different with cabin mates, SHOW ME WHERE PRINCESS POLICY SHOWS THAT.

So seriously, perhaps you can answer the previously posed question: "Why do you think it's OK to keep other passengers waiting longer for a tender, just so your friends can enjoy a benefit they haven't earned?" It's not like going to the Platinum/Elite Lounge - boarding the next tender is a zero-sum game. Your friends get on, someone who's been waiting has to wait longer.

I'm just wretched Platinum, but I've never been on a sailing when I didn't make friends with folks who are Elite. So if I asked them if I could board with them, maybe I could force you guys to wait for a later tender, huh?

Like:D

Also a wretched Platinum! Hey can we start a new saying? ...."Wretched Platinum' I kinda like it! :) lol

Archived