Has anyone gotten their hair cut on the ship?

dln929

I'm taking my 23 year old daughter on the Brilliance of the Seas, leaving from Rome, Italy. She is in desperate need of a hair cut. I have OBC and I offered to donate it to her so she could get her hair done in the salon on board. She is reluctant. So I said I would ask on CC. So has anyone gotten a cut? Not a style, a real hair cut. My daughter's hair is short, thick, and wavy. She needs a good 2" or so taken off. Should she take her mother's money and go for it? :D

Get it cut at home before the cruise. Salon prices are very high-much cheaper to get it done at home. Then you can buy drinks with your OBC!

I had my hair cut one time on a ship. It was part of a spa demonstration so it was free. I volunteered for this and after wished I hadn't. I hated the way they cut my hair.

Just my opinion!

Keeping in mind that it will grow back, it could be a very long month or two while that's happening. Hopefully she can find some time before you leave to get her hair cut & your OBC can be used for something fun for both of you............

My sister and I also had our hair cut on the ship and never again. We couldn't do anything with it all week after it was cut. We are both in our 60s so I can only imagine how a 23 year old would feel if she got a "bad" haircut. Treat her and yourself to a day of beauty (hair, nails, facial, etc.) before you leave on your cruise. You will be glad you did.

Yes. I had a colour and cut on Brilliance. I didn't have time to have my hair done before the cruise so I booked onboard. I was very impressed, the cut was great and she matched my colour perfectly. The lady who did it was from Ireland. She wasn't employed by RCI - the company she worked for is well known in the UK so I wasn't concerned about her ability to cut hair. TBH I'm not the hair worrying type and really don't stress too much about hairdressers, however I do have a friend who cries hysterically if her hair isn't 'done' the right way so if your daughter falls into that category then I'd give it a miss.

Both of us had haircuts on the Radiance - were on board for 34 nights, so really needed some attentions about 3 weeks into the cruise. DH had haircut and beard trim, I had haircut - had discount coupons so ours cost about $30 and $45 respectively. Both of us were very happy with the results - just be specific about what you want rather than let them choose/style the way they want.

I had my hair cut on the ship once. It was shoulder length and I got tired of it constantly blowing around at the pool so I got it cut short and loved it. The girl was from a different country and did a wonderful job. Wasn't cheap but I did like it.

Guest maddycat

I'd go to a someone at home who you know and trust. I'd also go about a week before your cruise so that your daughter can get use to her new cut.

I've had good and bad haircuts on land, so I imagine it would be similar on a ship and it will likely depend on who does it. I had my hair cut on a Celebrity cruise once since I absolutely hated the cut I got just before leaving for the cruise. The cost was pretty much what I pay at home. It was a young gal from Ireland who was on a six-month assignment. Her own hair was six different colors and spikey looking - yikes. Then she came at me with open scissors and started slashing at my hair. I was terrified but figured hair grows. It was by far the BEST haircut I've ever had. Fell perfectly in place no matter what I did. Sure wish I could have taken her home with me!

had a couple haircuts on ships...both me and my mom.....we both loved it...yes, it was more than at home...though not necessarily..depends where you go...

we had a lot of OBC and it was a good way to use it....we were both happy and it was nice to talk to the people there...and just a different thing to do

Thanks everyone for your answers and opinions. I don't know how this is going to turn out. My daughter has a teaching job in Florence, Italy, and her last haircut cost her over 60 euros. She looked gorgeous but she was also broker than broke for a long time after. When I heard that :eek: that's when I offered my OBC to her. It's no trouble for me to do so since I have it to spend. We will see if she goes for her mama's "free" haircut or the pricey one in Florence...you never know with kids~

We were on a 30 night, and my hair either gets cut every 21 days, or I start to look for a fiddle. Sorry, old joke.

Anyway, I have had my hair cut twice on ships, and I'm very picky about how it's done, and insisted on a mirror, and only a certain length cut.

They were both fine........not like my barber......but certainly acceptable!!:)

Rick

One more vote for "no", don't do it. I had my hair cut on a cruise one time, and I'll NEVER do it again. I'd had a family emergency right before the cruise, and combined with work obligations, there was just no way to get a cut before hand.

That was one of the worst haircuts I'd ever had. She cut it way shorter than I wanted. And other than cutting bangs, which I did NOT wanted, it had no style to speak of. I could have done as well by putting a bowl on my head, and having hubby cut around it. It took months till it was grown out enough to have it cut again at home.

Tell her to do it at her usual hairstylist. A good cut it worth the money.

One more thought: It seems to me that they probably don't do all that much "cutting" of hair on a ship, so it stands to reason that without the usual practice, they aren't likely to be that good at it.

I got my hair cut twice on the same ship, Liberty. In Nov. 2010 I had gotten a terrible cut from someone on land and my roommate urged me to go to the

ship spa. she did a decent job, but then again it was so choppy to begin with, anything was an improvement. She did a good job. 1 year later I went back on the Liberty. That stylist was gone and I told the stylist what I wanted. She was so busy trying to sell me on a package of cut,color and condition that I do not think she was paying attention, My hair looked like it had not been cut at all

once I got back to the cabin and showered before dinner. My next haircut on land was by a stylist who said "your hair is very choppy and disconnected."

I might give a haircut another shot, but watch them closely. Their job is to sell,sell,sell so just tell them what you want, nothing more and hope for the best!

Have your daughter ask around among local friends. There are many places to get your haircut in Italy (yes, including Florence) for a LOT less than 60 Euros. She ought to be able to get a good cut for 12-15 Euro.

Just like in the US there are pricey salons and less expensive place. Many of the smaller shops do great work and they do not rush through--she just needs to ask around to find where to go.

I had my hair cut on the ship once. It was shoulder length and I got tired of it constantly blowing around at the pool so I got it cut short and loved it. The girl was from a different country and did a wonderful job. Wasn't cheap but I did like it.

I too had same lenght hair. I was on the Majesty. Got the BEST HAIRCUT! Only problem is, can't get anyone on land to copy it

My son, who was 18 at the time, got his hair got on board after he refused to get it cut before we left. He was in desparate need of a hair cut. It definitely was not the best cut he ever had, in fact, I would say it was one of the worst. The only one that was worse was when he was 10 and the barber gave him a crew cut. Anyway, it was so bad that he needed to get it cut again about 2 weeks after the cruise.

If they can't cut a guy's hair properly, I would be afraid to see what your daughter would end up with. Bite the bullet and treat her to a haircut in Florence instead.

I have short spiked hair and didn't have time for a cut at home. Figured I'd give it a try. BIG mistake.

She tried to cut my hair with a razor and took out large chunks out of the back lower part of my hair. Everything was completely uneven. When I showed the manager of the salon they refunded my money no questions asked.

However, that didn't make up for the weekly haircuts I had to pay for after that just to get my hair to even out. I sent pictured of my haircut to RCI and their basic response was it isn't their problem because those people are contracted. My response was RCI is the one who contracted them so it should be their problem too.

Never again!!!

My mother got her hair cut on the ship and didn't like it. Oh and she blamed me for it because her and I got in a fight and she claims she was so upset that she wasn't thinking straight. No joke.

My hair is way too important to me to let someone cut it who has no investment in me coming back. You're never going to see this person again.

Archived