Rules for conversation in the dining room!

BigKeith

Most professionals really dislike tellilng their work as it usually turns into conversations they want to avoid.... they are on vacation to get away from their work and concerns. They really don't want to be discussing your medical, legal, accounting, and dental problems. Give 'em a break and find something more entertaining and fun to talk about. ;)

IMO

If you really want to avoid talking about work, just tell them you sell life insurance, and on the side you are an Amway distributor, and if you get one more recruit, you will reach the Diamond level.

You can have meaningful conversations without talking about religion, sex, politics, etc.

I'm sorry but the clear "message" a lot of people are sending is small talk good, substance bad. Not much fun if you ask me, but to each his own.

I'm sorry but the clear "message" a lot of people are sending is small talk good, substance bad. Not much fun if you ask me, but to each his own.

Maybe you don't understand that you can have substance without hot button topics. One of the best conversations I've ever had over dinner was with with a 70 year old woman from Montgomery, AL. Her perspective on the civil rights movement and recollections of the events surrounding it was fascinating and completely engaging. More recently I had the honor of dining with a documentary film-maker and author who has traveled the world. Her perspectives on various cultures were incredible and her knowledge of less traveled areas was extensive. Would you really consider either of those "small talk?"

If you really want to avoid talking about work, just tell them you sell life insurance, and on the side you are an Amway distributor, and if you get one more recruit, you will reach the Diamond level.

:D

I work in a very niche industry which 99.999% of the people on this earth don't even realize exists. I've come up with a five word description that will make them not want to ask more questions. Unless they are one of those really rare people who has an interest in the industry, in which case I don't mind talking shop for a few minutes.

I work in a very niche industry which 99.999% of the people on this earth don't even realize exists. I've come up with a five word description that will make them not want to ask more questions. Unless they are one of those really rare people who has an interest in the industry, in which case I don't mind talking shop for a few minutes.

Let me guess..you are a therapist for those that take plushies on cruises..:D:D:D:D ..

Denise

Maybe you don't understand that you can have substance without hot button topics. One of the best conversations I've ever had over dinner was with with a 70 year old woman from Montgomery, AL. Her perspective on the civil rights movement and recollections of the events surrounding it was fascinating and completely engaging. More recently I had the honor of dining with a documentary film-maker and author who has traveled the world. Her perspectives on various cultures were incredible and her knowledge of less traveled areas was extensive. Would you really consider either of those "small talk?"

No I wouldn't; sounds fascinating..........But I'd argue that the first topic would have to fall under the "political" umbrella and the second could easily include "religion" as that is a major part of culture. Both considered too taboo for discussion by some who've posted here, apparently.....:rolleyes:

No I wouldn't; sounds fascinating..........But I'd argue that the first topic would have to fall under the "political" umbrella and the second could easily include "religion" as that is a major part of culture. Both considered too taboo for discussion by some who've posted here, apparently.....:rolleyes:

I'd call the first one history--the only people who might not see it that way are racists of any color, and I wouldn't dine with them, either.

As I mentioned in my early comment, religion on neutral terms is in my opinion OK. I see a chasm between having a conversation about how VooDoo and Catholicism co-exist in some cultures versus being told that your religion isn't a true form of Christianity and you're going to burn in hell if you don't pray with the table before eating.

I think praying at the table at all is very inconsiderate. Never had it happen, and hope it never does.

I've been at various meals where one or more of the people at the table bowed their head for a moment before eating. If you happened to take notice, you would most likely get that they were silently praying but I didn't find it at all disruptive or rude as they were attempting to be very discrete about it, not trying put on a show. Now had they been praying out loud or trying to lead the table in prayer I would have found it offensive.

I've been at various meals where one or more of the people at the table bowed their head for a moment before eating. If you happened to take notice, you would most likely get that they were silently praying but I didn't find it at all disruptive or rude as they were attempting to be very discrete about it, not trying put on a show. Now had they been praying out loud or trying to lead the table in prayer I would have found it offensive.

I think praying at the table at all is very inconsiderate. Never had it happen, and hope it never does.

That happened to our table at a wedding a few years ago. One couple decided that everyone at the table MUST hold hands and pray before beginning their meal, and repeated their demand twice. A few were "guilted" into it. My wife and I simply started eating and we ignored them for the rest of the meal - no acknowledgment that they were even there.

Their obsession with certain practices will not become mine as long as I have control over my own life.

That happened to our table at a wedding a few years ago. One couple decided that everyone at the table MUST hold hands and pray before beginning their meal, and repeated their demand twice. A few were "guilted" into it. My wife and I simply started eating and we ignored them for the rest of the meal - no acknowledgment that they were even there.

Their obsession with certain practices will not become mine as long as I have control over my own life.

-------------------------------

That is my attitude too. I do not care if someone prays at mealtime.

Just do not expect me to join..unless I want to.

Fortunately, I haven't had people insisting on a grace at a table. But I think if I did, I would probably say that my religion doesn't go work that way. At least my spirituality doesn't. If someone gets offended at that, maybe they should get a table for two.

:D

And those five words are?

And those five words are?

I'm going to decline answering as it's such a niche industry that it will literally reveal my actual identity with 15 seconds of Googling. Sorry, not trying to be rude.

concur

there is a profound difference between SILENT prayer for 15 seconds before your meal and making a big production of it by holding hands and proclaiming your gratitude. even if you don't make your table mates having to decide to choose whether or not to grab your proffered hand or whatever, vocal/audible prayer is a turn off for some.. regardless of personal beliefs. I know Catholics and Jews who loathe having to sit through a Protestant verbal prayer of thanks as they feel ANY expression should be done privately.

concur

there is a profound difference between SILENT prayer for 15 seconds before your meal and making a big production of it by holding hands and proclaiming your gratitude. even if you don't make your table mates having to decide to choose whether or not to grab your proffered hand or whatever, vocal/audible prayer is a turn off for some.. regardless of personal beliefs. I know Catholics and Jews who loathe having to sit through a Protestant verbal prayer of thanks as they feel ANY expression should be done privately.

People who wear their religion like a corporate logo on their shirt are definitely annoying.

You could inform the prayer nuts that you will be sacrificing a live chicken at the next meal and you expect everyone to participate in the ritual drinking of the fresh blood.

DON

You could inform the prayer nuts that you will be sacrificing a live chicken at the next meal and you expect everyone to participate in the ritual drinking of the fresh blood.

DON

I tried that. It turns out they had a corkage fee for the chicken blood. :p

Well for most part based on prior experience, as long as your mind set is one of ease, conversation usually can be a pleasant enlightenment,we normally find that most in our party are polite and informative,so we welcome all input:).

-JH

This is an interesting topic. It's never been a problem with us until the last cruise which was in March. Most nights we requested a table for two as our regular cruising buddies were not with us this time. The two nights we decided to sit at a large table the conversation started to get nasty. I had always been taught as a little kid that the two things not to discuss with strangers were politics and religion. Obviously our tablemates hadn't learned this and proceeded to bash our political party. It also happened once at the Elite cocktail lounge where four strangers decided to join us. We just "took it in," didn't join the conversation and tried to change the subject. I'll never understand how people who are complete strangers assume you are just like them. It is very annoying and very rude. We also get those "funny" and dishonest emails from people who know we don't like them. I just block them. End of that problem!

Why is it inconsiderate? If someone prays silently and doesn't ask others to participate, what could possibly be wrong with that? They arent asking you to do it.

Why is it inconsiderate? If someone prays silently and doesn't ask others to participate, what could possibly be wrong with that? They arent asking you to do it.

Absolutely have to agree. I feel the same way when I floss my teeth at the table right after I have eaten. I do it silently, so can't understand why some people are offended! I didn't ask them to floss with me!!!

Just reading a thread on the Carnival board. One CCer asserted that the following should never be discussed when meeting new companions in the dining room:

Religion

Politics

Abortion

Economy

What you paid for the cruise

Weight

Opinions on what other people like to eat

Big Keith

Religion- I think for the most part you must adjust this list according to your dinning companions. I love to sing and always do so on Cruises. I've had dining companions compliment my singing and ask me if I sing at home. I always openly respond that I sing in my church choir. If they then choose to ask about my church or tell me about their church or beliefs thats fine. If not thats fine also.

Politics/Economy- These are very closely related for most. I don't specifically bring up politics except in a very general way for instance commenting that since the economy is very bad........

Abortion- I can't imagine how they subject would arise at the dinner table.

What you paid for the Cruise- I don't have a problem with people asking about price although I personally would not ask anyone what they paid for anything but I admit I enjoy hearing! LOL! I might generally ask if something is expensive. For instance if someone at the dinner table told me "There is a great restaurant in downtown Cozumel". I might ask, "are they pricey"? I like to get a good deal and If my method of searching out good deals is helpful to someone else, that's great. I think its great when people here at cruise critic share info in their posts about great deals and inexpensive but reputable tours as it has saved me a lot of money.

Weight- I have NEVER had a dinner on a Cruise were someone did not at least mention that they were "cheating on their diet" OR "going to have to diet after this cruise". So obviously you folks who think it should be a tabu subject are really unhappy.

Opinions on what other people like to eat- Like weight/diet this is VERY common. Part of the fun of dining with others is getting their opinions on the various dishes. I've even asked the waiter to bring me something I did not originally order because my dining companions gave it such rave reviews! On my cruise last week, one girl informed us when we were raving over the chocolate melting cake, that she does not like chocolate. Seeing the shocked faces of her 6 dining companions you would have thought she had announced that she opposes "World Peace". Seeing each other's faces we all burst out laughing, not at her, but at each other!

Most important thing.....No matter what is discussed is to be tolerant. People can say anything to me at dinner and whether I agree or disagree I will likely smile politely and eat my dinner.

Archived