Rules for conversation in the dining room!

BigKeith

What I don't understand is why everyone assumes that a conversation on these topics has to be a confrontation about whose believes are better.:confused:

Usually when I have conversations about religion, it is not my or the other persons religion we are talking about, but more often about the practices of the places we are visiting.

As an example, when we went to visit our DD when she was living in Japan, we went to visit Several Buddest Temples and Shinto Shrines, so we had discussions about the difference between the beliefs and practices of the two, and of the practices of the Japnese in gerneral.

No one trying to convert anyone and no scorn of other's believe.

Just interesting and information conversations and an appreciation of the places we were visiting as more than just cool arcitecture.

My DD was a great source of info given her studies in Religion.

(Can you tell I'm a proud Mom.:D)

Lois

Before our last cruise, I gave my teen brochures for each port so that she can have some say in what sights we'll see. One place she wanted to see was a jodo in Lahaina. So we planned out how to get the bus to come close and then we walked the rest of the way. This one had the biggest Buddha statute outside of Japan and a 3,000 ton bell. We also saw another one in Hilo.

Obviously some people can not discuss taboo subjects with respect to someone else's beliefs.

Then the discussion becomes a debate, with someone else trying to change the other's point of view.

I hope I never have to dine with those people...I am going to sit with EuroCruiser and have a grand time.

I love lively and insightful conversation..about everything and anything..including the taboo subjects. It just has to be with mutual respect ....I would never try to change someone and make them believe as I do.

Denise

I wouldn't mind sitting with you. I love lively and insightful conversation. Just not with narrow-minded people.

But that requires no discussion - it is a Revealed Truth! After all, they're not the Evil Empire for nothing! All the rest is false doctrine. :D

Wait, wait, I think the Flying Spaghetti Monster will be endorsing the Dodgers this year because of their new owners.

BTW, it occurred to me that the man handing out the books wasn't even on the sidewalk. I asked my daughter and she says she remembers he was on the lawn, which does mean he was officially on the school grounds. I'm posting a question about this on my board of education rep's Facebook page to see what she says (if I should go to the main office if I see him again).

They are going to pull this thread because it's supposed to be about conversation at the dinner table on a cruise (or so I thought), not about whether someone can stand on a sidewalk and hand out literature or not.

That's what my problem is. Next time someone on the sidewalk hands you a Bible or piece of literature that mentions God maybe you should read it and see what it says about having an open mind and attitude and not being so judgmental.

It's not a matter of "moving on." I guess that other poster who has trouble with other religions would have a problem with MDR conversations centering around religion if it's not that poster's religion. What's your problem?

They are going to pull this thread because it's supposed to be about conversation at the dinner table on a cruise (or so I thought), not about whether someone can stand on a sidewalk and hand out literature or not.

I doubt that would be a reason to pull a thread.:confused:

That's what my problem is. Next time someone on the sidewalk hands you a Bible or piece of literature that mentions God maybe you should read it and see what it says about having an open mind and attitude and not being so judgmental.

-----------------------

I would read the Quran if someone handed me one. ( I have read parts of it already ) . I would discuss it at a dinner table on a cruise.

I also would discuss Andrew Luck and the Colts and football, the latest fashions, Obama, Stephen King, cruiselines, wang wangs, the British Monarcy, Catholics vs Protestants vs Born Again vs Baptist vs Jewish vs Hindu vs Greek Orthodox, tipping, mass murders, the economy, art, music, the Real houswives of any place, Top Chef ( and all cooking shows ) , Whale Wars, Deadliest Catch, Harry Potter, Hoarders, cancer, waxing vs shaving, Dinty Moore Stew, butter, clotted cream, the Walmart Sucks movement, computer trojans...and trojans ;)\

Denise

Admittedly, I am a very judgmental person.

People that make attempts to convert my child to their specific religous cult I judge to be offensive, out of bounds, and abusive.

Should you believe in god, allah, buddah, or the one Holy True Saviour, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, fine with me. BUT .... Leave my kid alone.

Next time someone on the sidewalk hands you a Bible or piece of literature that mentions God maybe you should read it and see what it says about having an open mind and attitude and not being so judgmental.

Funny stuff!!! :) It is my experience that the more religious a person is, the less open minded, the more intolerant, and the more judgmental they are, especially towards people with different religious beliefs or sexual orientations. I see more hate towards other people disguised as religious beliefs than from anything else. That is why I have no desire to discuss religious topics with strangers over dinner in the MDR while I am trying to enjoy my vacation. I don't want to have to endure hearing about your prejudiced beliefs. :mad:

Haven't most wars throughout history been fought over religion?

But getting back to what are good topics to avoid at the dining table on a cruise........

:) Talk about the food. Then you'll have someone who prefer meat eating to vegetarian.

Talk about the weather and you'll have someone who complains about how hot it is.

Talk about the ship, and someone will think it too big, too small, too glitzy, too sedate.....

Like all things in life, you will please some of the people, some of the time.

You'll never please everyone all the time.

But getting back to what are good topics to avoid at the dining table on a cruise........

:) Talk about the food. Then you'll have someone who prefer meat eating to vegetarian.

Talk about the weather and you'll have someone who complains about how hot it is.

Talk about the ship, and someone will think it too big, too small, too glitzy, too sedate.....

Priceless, and sadly very true. Wherever people gather, it's almost inevitable that some kind of conflict will get in the way of, well, just about everything. One only has to read a few threads on CC to bear this out...our own positions are so important to be emphasized. We must be right! We must dominate! We must convince others 'our way is the right way!" I'm guilty of this too, which is why I tend to prefer the company of animals:)

It is so enjoyable, motivating and pleasant when we can dine with others, work with others, or volunteer with others, etc, etc and be able to walk away and say, 'wow, that was really great:)'. YMMV.

It is my experience that the more religious a person is, the less open minded, the more intolerant, and the more judgmental they are, especially towards people with different religious beliefs or sexual orientations. I see more hate towards other people disguised as religious beliefs than from anything else. That is why I have no desire to discuss religious topics with strangers over dinner in the MDR while I am trying to enjoy my vacation. I don't want to have to endure hearing about your prejudiced beliefs. :mad:

Very well said!

-----------------------

True. I was going to say that you should always please yourself..but that sounds bad!!:eek::D

It isn't really the topic which causes argument or disagreement, it's the attitude of the individual discussing that topic. On these boards people get fired up over tipping, smuggling liquor, approaches to chair hogs, even discussing "unsafe" topics of conversation. No topic is safe if a blockhead is going to insist that his view is the only proper one; and, conversely, any topic can be a learning experience if participants in the conversation are willing to listen and learn and to express their views with courtesy.

Admittedly, I am a very judgmental person.

People that make attempts to convert my child to their specific religous cult I judge to be offensive, out of bounds, and abusive.

Should you believe in god, allah, buddah, or the one Holy True Saviour, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, fine with me. BUT .... Leave my kid alone.

-----------------------

I would read the Quran if someone handed me one. ( I have read parts of it already ) . I would discuss it at a dinner table on a cruise.

I also would discuss Andrew Luck and the Colts and football, the latest fashions, Obama, Stephen King, cruiselines, wang wangs, the British Monarcy, Catholics vs Protestants vs Born Again vs Baptist vs Jewish vs Hindu vs Greek Orthodox, tipping, mass murders, the economy, art, music, the Real houswives of any place, Top Chef ( and all cooking shows ) , Whale Wars, Deadliest Catch, Harry Potter, Hoarders, cancer, waxing vs shaving, Dinty Moore Stew, butter, clotted cream, the Walmart Sucks movement, computer trojans...and trojans ;)\

Denise

I love a good discussion. It can even be about politics or religion as long as someone isn't insisting theirs is the only right position. I would have a problem if someone is insisting on talking about being into certain "group activities" but that hasn't happened on any of my cruises. Hubby and I do like sharing a table with others on our cruises (when we were "stuck" with anytime dining on our last one, we always asked to share a table). You'll find that I wouldn't insist that my religion is the only one to be (to me, spirituality is very personal -- which is why I prefer my child to be left alone about the subject as she needs to find her own way on that topic).

To me, one of the advantages of a cruising vacation (and why we love traditional dining) is meeting others from all over the US and world. There are plenty of good topics to discuss so if something is mentioned and it seems like a sore spot for someone, just drop it. If someone has changed the subject abruptly, take that as a sign.

To me, one of the advantages of a cruising vacation (and why we love traditional dining) is meeting others from all over the US and world. There are plenty of good topics to discuss so if something is mentioned and it seems like a sore spot for someone, just drop it. If someone has changed the subject abruptly, take that as a sign.

Yup! I agree!

The only people that I would not be thrilled to sit with are those missing the sense of humor gene..but I can handle that...I just would not be thrilled.

And the only time I would lost my cool...and I mean lose it..would be if someone was rude, mean, or hateful to a crew member.

Funny stuff!!! :) It is my experience that the more religious a person is, the less open minded, the more intolerant, and the more judgmental they are, especially towards people with different religious beliefs or sexual orientations. I see more hate towards other people disguised as religious beliefs than from anything else. That is why I have no desire to discuss religious topics with strangers over dinner in the MDR while I am trying to enjoy my vacation. I don't want to have to endure hearing about your prejudiced beliefs. :mad:

I agree completely, Santa FeFan!!

I have endured enough of the hate under the name of religious conservatisim. Please, all of you Good folks concerned with my saving, leave me alone on a cruise, or everywhere, for that matter.

On Navy ships, where wardroom officers got to know each other a lot better than a group of random tablemates on a cruise might, there was a widely accepted rule that politics, sex, and religion were not to be discussed at meal time.

Yup. and to answer the earlier question about the inner workings of the Electoral College: no I do not feel comfortable discussing it. Aside from the fact that your average American has no bloody clue how it works in the first place, it's really not something that can be taught in a 2 hour dinner conversation.

Religion: well quite frankly it ain't none of your business. In fact I get rather offended when somebody out and out says : Hi, I'm Sally and I am a christian" first of all.. I DO NOT CARE. Second of all, at least half the time that means you wanna save my soul. Not interested .. third.. if you feel the need to drop it in to casual conversation(well, as a Christian I think blah blah blah) then quite frankly, you aren't avery good one if you have to keep reminding people. I also find it rather pretentious to act as if your religious preference makes your opinion more worthy.

Abortion: just like religion.. ain't none of your beeswax and I am not required to justify my opinion to you or anyone else. I don't care what your

thoughts are and DO NOT wanna know, even if it does coincide with mine.

Economy: hot button and has the potential to get very heated very fast. we have not been affected at all so have no frame of reference for all those people who have lost their jobs and/or can't find one. Plus a lot of people seem to think they are entitled to make snide comments on the fact that DH is paid by them paying taxes( He is a Naval Officer)

How much you paid for the cruise/weight: sorry but tacky as all hell to even discuss either, even in a light manner. also can lead to hurt feelings if you find out that we paid less for our GS than you paid for a D1 due to discounts or even timing.

Food choices: being adventurous eaters I'll be honest, I do NOT understand those with 'boring' palates. why eat chicken every night of the cruise when you can get that at home? why not try the quail or the turbot? so I keep my mouth shut. I had somebody once tell me off because I wasn't vegetarian and chose to have dessert. ( I also had somebody think I was silly for NOT eating dessert every night on a different cruise)

Yup. and to answer the earlier question about the inner workings of the Electoral College: no I do not feel comfortable discussing it. Aside from the fact that your average American has no bloody clue how it works in the first place, it's really not something that can be taught in a 2 hour dinner conversation.

Religion: well quite frankly it ain't none of your business. In fact I get rather offended when somebody out and out says : Hi, I'm Sally and I am a christian" first of all.. I DO NOT CARE. Second of all, at least half the time that means you wanna save my soul. Not interested .. third.. if you feel the need to drop it in to casual conversation(well, as a Christian I think blah blah blah) then quite frankly, you aren't avery good one if you have to keep reminding people. I also find it rather pretentious to act as if your religious preference makes your opinion more worthy.

Abortion: just like religion.. ain't none of your beeswax and I am not required to justify my opinion to you or anyone else. I don't care what your

thoughts are and DO NOT wanna know, even if it does coincide with mine.

Economy: hot button and has the potential to get very heated very fast. we have not been affected at all so have no frame of reference for all those people who have lost their jobs and/or can't find one. Plus a lot of people seem to think they are entitled to make snide comments on the fact that DH is paid by them paying taxes( He is a Naval Officer)

How much you paid for the cruise/weight: sorry but tacky as all hell to even discuss either, even in a light manner. also can lead to hurt feelings if you find out that we paid less for our GS than you paid for a D1 due to discounts or even timing.

Food choices: being adventurous eaters I'll be honest, I do NOT understand those with 'boring' palates. why eat chicken every night of the cruise when you can get that at home? why not try the quail or the turbot? so I keep my mouth shut. I had somebody once tell me off because I wasn't vegetarian and chose to have dessert. ( I also had somebody think I was silly for NOT eating dessert every night on a different cruise)

So what exactly DO you talk about at dinner? Look, if you prefer to just stare at your plate and eat your adventurous dinners, have at it. But I hope you'll try and contain your displeasure if some of your tablemates would like to be adventurous conversationalists.

The Electoral College? I've explained it before, to foreigners who genuinely had no idea how it works; it takes about 15 minutes and they come away understanding it, even if they don't agree that it makes sense or serves a purpose. Religion? I'm a volunteer teacher at an ESL program that is operated as a ministry of my church, so discussing religious views comes with the territory. (In deference to your lack of interest in my religious views, I'd be happy to tell you about being an ESL teacher without adding the religion component, if that's a topic with which you'd be comfortable.) Economy? Well, I'm a government employee, so I receive the remarks about their taxes paying my salary. I just smile and sweetly thank them for generously funding my cruise ticket!

I find that not taking one's self too seriously and going with the flow will go a long way towards an enjoyable dinner conversation. But if you'd rather remain tightly wound, so be it. I'll just gaze in wonder at your adventurous foods while I eat my nightly meal of chicken and potatoes.

generally we talk about where we have lived as we cannot discuss WHAT he does for a living( my screen name should give you a hint)

This includes Japan, Monterey, the BWA triangle and Upstate NY.. all vastly different in climate and amenities( wine is better in Monterey, sushi is better in Japan, Museums are better in DC and the BBq is better in Syracuse)

I LOVE discussing the merits of CA vineyards over French( we are admittedly CA wine snobs although I am open to conceding that Chile and Argentina ain't half bad)

I'd be interested in ESL, as an English Lit Major and someone who half though about teaching it myself in Japan this is a subject that I could get into.

we thank people for paying for DH's Masters degree.. in Monterey/wine country

BTW, could YOU explain to ME the electoral college? I tried once in college college.. yeah.. completely lost.

generally we talk about where we have lived as we cannot discuss WHAT he does for a living( my screen name should give you a hint)

This includes Japan, Monterey, the BWA triangle and Upstate NY.. all vastly different in climate and amenities( wine is better in Monterey, sushi is better in Japan, Museums are better in DC and the BBq is better in Syracuse)

I LOVE discussing the merits of CA vineyards over French( we are admittedly CA wine snobs although I am open to conceding that Chile and Argentina ain't half bad)

I'd be interested in ESL, as an English Lit Major and someone who half though about teaching it myself in Japan this is a subject that I could get into.

we thank people for paying for DH's Masters degree.. in Monterey/wine country

BTW, could YOU explain to ME the electoral college? I tried once in college college.. yeah.. completely lost.

Electoral College is not that hard to understand. US Constitution provides that the several states, not individual voters, elect the President. We are, after all, a union of those several staes, so it makes sense. Naturally, the votes of the individual states are weighted to reflect the populations of those states -- more populous states have more votes in the Electoral Colege.

Were you really incapable of grasping that as a college student?

Archived