Rules for conversation in the dining room!

BigKeith

In response to the handing out of Bibles to schoolchildren:

I do not think this is acceptable. I also do not think anything handed out (in this fashion) to any child is acceptable..without parental permission.

Heck, my children can't even get a a sample from the Sam's Warehouse food lady without my approval...as it should be.

Hand out anything you want to an adult..but leave my minor alone .

Denise

Obviously some people can not discuss taboo subjects with respect to someone else's beliefs.

Then the discussion becomes a debate, with someone else trying to change the other's point of view.

I hope I never have to dine with those people...I am going to sit with EuroCruiser and have a grand time.

I love lively and insightful conversation..about everything and anything..including the taboo subjects. It just has to be with mutual respect ....I would never try to change someone and make them believe as I do.

Denise

find it laughable that anyone thinks handing a rather large and not particularly easy to read book to a teenager is an effective way to communicate with them! :D

My immediate thought was "yeah, that'll work

:D

They would be better off giving out I-Phones with a Bible app! :D

I say, get it all out of the way with this opening question: Should the government ban prayers in school for a girl who is about to get an abortion but cannot really afford it due to the bad economy, and should I have sent that girl the $1000 I paid for this cruise instead of sitting here watching you overweight people eat that disgusting escargot?

:p:p:p:p:p

You forgot to add "after being chair hogs all day by leaving your towel and book by the pool but never actually sitting there."

You forgot to add "after being chair hogs all day by leaving your towel and book by the pool but never actually sitting there."

LOL. We should start a new thread where posters keep adding to this question.

She is doing her Master Degree in Holocaust Studies. She will graduate in June.

She has a BA in Religion and a BA in History.

Lois

She wouldn't get an "Oh" from me - my parents & extended family of that generation are all survivors. I'm First Generation After.

Unfortunately, we have a different cruise booked for that time period - but at some other time, I'd love to meet your daughter!

I get offended probably a thousand times a day by people by all kinds of crap I have to see or listen to every day..whether it's something from a LWL on TV, something on a bulletin board, what someone says, etc. I don't offer an opinion, I just recognize that people have a right to be who they are, and keep it moving. I don't offer a jugdement out loud and keep it to myself.

My point was that I admire people who aren't afraid to stand up for what they believe. If they are on a sidewalk handing out Bibles and it's public property, there is nothing wrong with that. If they are handing out some other piece of literature, even if I don't agree with with their cause I just smile and say no thank you, and move on. No need for me to offer my criticism or judgement. At least they have courage to stand up for what they believe in and that's a whole lot more than most people in todays society who get offended and use it as a platform to criticize others.

Keep it moving ..

Perhaps not if they read the entire Bible, and read it with understanding and interpretation. However, too many people only read parts of the Bible (or Koran, or any holy text) and then take things out of context. The Bible (and religion in general) has been used to justify a whole lot of things in the course of history, many of which have ended up costing the lives of others.

I can speak from personal history of at least one friend of mine, growing up, whose life was certainly tainted by reading the Bible. (In light of the fact that her parents were religious zealots in a fundamentalist group that verged on being a cult. Let's just say that snake handling isn't all it's cracked up to be.)

I think many states have rules about things like this -- often there is some perimeter around schools that needs to be observed. But Christianity is a proselytizing religion, it's part of the core beliefs. Some groups emphasize it more than others.

She wouldn't get an "Oh" from me - my parents & extended family of that generation are all survivors. I'm First Generation After.

Unfortunately, we have a different cruise booked for that time period - but at some other time, I'd love to meet your daughter!

It is mostly the older generation that I get the "oh" and change the subject from.

The next common reactions is that people ask if we are Jewish. This not from total strangers but acquaitances. (we are not).

Lois

There aren't any official rules, only good sense and consideration for the feelings of others. Most people go on cruises to relax and have a good time, not to get into confrontation with their dining companions.

Certainly there are enough pleasant subjects that can be discussed at dinner without antagonizing or offending others.

People who go on cruises come from a wide range of backgrounds and beliefs. We have met some fascinating people whose lifestyles were very different from our own.

It is the "my way is better than your way" type conversations with the attitude of implied superiority that get people into trouble and create the unpleasantness.

But there is no need to wait until you get on a cruise ship to express your superiority and scorn for the beliefs or lifestyles of others because even right here on this board you can already see some of the judgmental "my religion is better than your religion" type comments. :D ;)

There aren't any official rules, only good sense and consideration for the feelings of others. Most people go on cruises to relax and have a good time, not to get into confrontation with their dining companions.

Certainly there are enough pleasant subjects that can be discussed at dinner without antagonizing or offending others.

People who go on cruises come from a wide range of backgrounds and beliefs. We have met some fascinating people whose lifestyles were very different from our own.

It is the "my way is better than your way" type conversations with the attitude of implied superiority that get people into trouble and create the unpleasantness.

But there is no need to wait until you get on a cruise ship to express your superiority and scorn for the beliefs or lifestyles of others because even right here on this board you can already see some of the judgmental "my religion is better than your religion" type comments. :D ;)

What I don't understand is why everyone assumes that a conversation on these topics has to be a confrontation about whose believes are better.:confused:

Usually when I have conversations about religion, it is not my or the other persons religion we are talking about, but more often about the practices of the places we are visiting.

As an example, when we went to visit our DD when she was living in Japan, we went to visit Several Buddest Temples and Shinto Shrines, so we had discussions about the difference between the beliefs and practices of the two, and of the practices of the Japnese in gerneral.

No one trying to convert anyone and no scorn of other's believe.

Just interesting and information conversations and an appreciation of the places we were visiting as more than just cool arcitecture.

My DD was a great source of info given her studies in Religion.

(Can you tell I'm a proud Mom.:D)

Lois

There are some folks here getting 'worked up' just talking about what to talk about at dnner. :D

Translate that into strangers who may or may not feel very strongly about a given subject and they are thrown together randomly. No one promises that will be a cerebral, pleasant, philosphical converations with no personal beliefs and leanings being presented a bit too forcefully.

If we can't talk about talking about them maybe it's a good idea to avoid those topics.

IMO

I can understand your concern....to this extent:

If the man was handing out copies of the Bible in either the King James, New American Standard or similar variations, I would have thanked him for caring enough to share the inspired word of God with my son or daughter, for I don't want them to be condemned for eternity.

The Bible says there is only one way unto heaven and that is by accepting Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior.

Had he handed out any other false doctrine, teaching or non-christian faith I would have been greatly angered. So for me, it would matter what he was handing out.

God bless.

In other words, if he was handling out the hogwash propaganda lies that you believe in, it is OK. If he is handing out someone else s hogwash propaganda lies, you would be angered.

You are really a wonderfully tolerant person and will probably end up in the same place after death as your other wonderfully tolerant friends. Hope that the heat does not bother you.

DON

Have you ever had a conversation with a complete moron?:rolleyes:

Try having a conversation w an incomplete moron - it is even worse. Think in terms of a person who is aspiring to be a moron but just can't quite make it intellectually.

DON

Geez are you going to be so disappointed upon your great demise and are met at the pearly gates by the one true holy spirit - The Flying Spaghetti Monster.

wrong, Oh Heretical One. There ain't no pearly gates. It's a pirate ship.

wrong, Oh Heretical One. There ain't no pearly gates. It's a pirate ship.

If it's the Flying Spaghetti Monster waiting for us, wouldn't we be at the Pearly Meatballs instead of gates?

In other words, if he was handling out the hogwash propaganda lies that you believe in, it is OK. If he is handing out someone else s hogwash propaganda lies, you would be angered.

You are really a wonderfully tolerant person and will probably end up in the same place after death as your other wonderfully tolerant friends. Hope that the heat does not bother you.

DON

-----------------

:eek:

Denise

DON

Geez. I hope he does not wind up there, as I am doomed to be there, with lots of good company.

Kinda looking forward to eternal damnation.

Oh there are definitely some people on this thread I would not mind having dinner with :)

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints"

ISTR that a certain Nazarene carpenter dined with whores and tax collectors to the dismay of his more "proper" associates.;) If it was good enough for him....

I can understand your concern....to this extent:

If the man was handing out copies of the Bible in either the King James, New American Standard or similar variations, I would have thanked him for caring enough to share the inspired word of God with my son or daughter, for I don't want them to be condemned for eternity.

The Bible says there is only one way unto heaven and that is by accepting Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior.

Had he handed out any other false doctrine, teaching or non-christian faith I would have been greatly angered. So for me, it would matter what he was handing out.

God bless.

And that is why it was inappropriate. I would imagine that in my daughter's school, there are Christians, Catholics, Jews, Muslims, Hindis, atheists, agnostics, Jehovah Witnesses, and more. Different beliefs, but none are more important or wrong or right or true or false than any other. That's what I've tried to teach my daughter (who incidently has lost many relatives in the WWII Holocaust due to intolerance on the part of one group who felt they alone is the true group). If my daughter wants to read the New Testament, I'll drive her to the library so she can borrow it from there. But I don't think it's appropriate for a stranger to give her a copy. And I don't think the principal would approve. If this guy wanted to give away copies, he can do so at his church. If he goes to a temple or mosque and stands in front of the building, I would feel that's inappropriate.

And if you don't understand that, then yes, I wouldn't want to share a dining table with you. I don't mind a discussion of religion but when it's among people who aren't arrogant that their spirituality is the only acceptable one.

To me, I admire someone who has the courage to stand up for what they believe. If they want to share it, fine. If I don't share their beliefs, I just say no thank you and move on and don't offer any judgement if I think it's appropriate or not.

At least they have courage to stand up for something. I doubt a kid reading a Bible would be tainted for life.

Again, it's not an appropriate place to be passing out this literature.

1. We teach our children not to accept sweets from strangers. Can you tell me how they are supposed to know that different rules apply to accepting bibles from strangers? Outside a school is not an appropriate place for dispensing religion, of any sort.
  2. You have your beliefs, and I respect your right to have them, but I do not believe you have the right to condemn the beliefs of others as "false doctrines."

A major reason why a discussion of religion wouldn't be appropriate at a table of strangers is that many are intolerant of others' beliefs. You might as well be discussing why the Red Sox are a better team than the Yankees.

Archived