Navigator after drydock

According to a memo I saw about changes to Navigator after it goes into drydock in May, it will have a larger Prime 7 restaurant. They are adding space for 60 people. I had read many reviews commenting how small Prime 7 was. It will also have the new Italian eatery at La Verandah and the usual new carpets and painted walls. Concierge suites will have those new illy coffemakers. The Galileo lounge is also being renovated. We are on Alaska cruise in August so it'll be nice to see the changes.

According to a memo I saw about changes to Navigator after it goes into drydock in May, it will have a larger Prime 7 restaurant. They are adding space for 60 people. I had read many reviews commenting how small Prime 7 was. It will also have the new Italian eatery at La Verandah and the usual new carpets and painted walls. Concierge suites will have those new illy coffemakers. The Galileo lounge is also being renovated. We are on Alaska cruise in August so it'll be nice to see the changes.

I also read a review of what's planned for this drydock and I'm concerned with the proposed changes.

We have not enjoyed cruising on Navigator since the last drydock when they created Prime 7 by taking away space from La Veranda. Yes, we thoroughly enjoy dining in Prime 7, but we usually only get to dine there once per cruise. Meanwhile, we usually eat in La Veranda twice a day (breakfast and lunch).

Since the last drydock, La Veranda is now much too small to accommodate those who wish to eat there during the day. Now Regent plans to expand Prime 7. How are they going to accomplish that without further reducing the size of La Veranda? I hope their expansion of Prime 7 means they are going to "undo" the previous drydock by opening Prime 7 to accommodate La Veranda diners at breakfast and lunch.

We also are booked on Navigator this August and we only made the booking in anticipation of what we hoped would be improvements to result from this month's drydock. Now it appears that the majority of the renovations are to occur in the expensive suites (we're booked in an E suite so that is of no interest to us) and the remodeling planned for the common areas doesn't sound like an improvement.

I also read a review of what's planned for this drydock and I'm concerned with the proposed changes. I have not enjoyed cruising on Navigator since the last drydock when they created Prime 7 by taking away space from La Veranda. Yes, we thoroughly enjoy dining in Prime 7, but we usually only get to dine there once per cruise. Meanwhile, we usually eat in La Veranda twice a day (breakfast and lunch). Since the last drydock, La Veranda is now much too small to accommodate those who wish to eat there during the day. Now Regent plans to expand Prime 7. How are they going to accomplish that without further reducing the size of La Veranda? I hope their expansion of Prime 7 means they are going to "undo" the previous drydock by opening Prime 7 to accommodate La Veranda diners at breakfast and lunch.

We also are booked on Navigator this August and we only made the booking in anticipation of what we hoped would be improvements to result from this month's drydock. Now it appears that the majority of the renovations are to occur in the expensive suites (we're booked in an E suite so that is of no interest to us) and the remodeling planned for the common areas doesn't sound like an improvement.

We were on Navigator during its south coast/Bermuda cruise last April and we both noted a number of required changes. We'll list them here in case those who will be making the changes to our favorite ship do view our CC remarks.

1. Rip out and burn the carpet in the coffee shop. God, but that carpet has faced some terrible spills over the years. It was sickly looking and the subject of many comments by those of us chatting over coffee and cookies.

2. Add at least another shelf to the library. Oh, heck, why not go all the way and move a wall into the next door meeting room to make way for additional passenger space and sit down reading? The existing library/computer room is too small even for a small ship. And the reading material needs to be continually upgraded and added to.

3. There exists absolutely no danger of anyone swiping one of Navigator's wall paintings. Admittedly I have some background in art having worked for years inside Walt Disney Studios in Burbank. I was surrounded by the best of artists while there and I can tell you from that previous exposure that Navigator's nickle and dime display of framed crap was on the far side of disgusting.

4. As for Prime7, enlarging that elongated space from whatever it currently holds to sixty won't make observable difference. As small as it is I managed to eat there 2 times in April and there were 2 tables for 4 open both times. And don't mess with the dinner quality as you modify little Navigator. Keep Prime7 the place to eat no matter what changes are made on the vessel.

Jack Morris

Funny, I'm on Navigator right now, and I frankly did not find P7 too small. Of course, the night we were there it wasn't very full. Yes, La Veranda is tight at times, although with Compass Rose as alternative, the only conceivable reason why is that food service in CR for breakfast and lunch is slow. Speed that up, and it would be fine.

Cruise ship carpets always get looking that way, Jack. And yes, they almost always replace them during a refurb.

I have been told that the named suites are being renovated. About half the staff is staying onboard to participate in painting, etc.

The officers currently on the Voyager said that Franck Galzy is patiently awaiting the arrival of the Navigator tomorrow so things can begin. They indicate that the major changes are to La Veranda in order to accommodate the new restaurant. This includes redoing the kitchen and, as I have been told, they will somehow enlarge Prime 7 a bit. I personally find Prime 7 to be an awkward configuration and too small. The elegance that Prime 7 has on the other ships does not exist for us on the Navigator.

As previously said, they always replace carpets during refurbishment. Unfortunately, it is difficult to tell a few months later. The Voyager was refurbished in September, 2011 and the carpeting is really wearing outside of the Observation Lounge and several other places. It would seem that the Navigator gets the most amount of wear during it's time in Alaska with lots of wet feet walking on and off of the ship, etc.

Regent does it's best to keep the ships in tip top condition all of the time. Since we boarded on April 23rd, the wood railings have been given a new coat of varnish and the chairs in La Veranda have been replaced (probably in preparation for Sette Mare).

I also found the P7 configuration to be too small and awkward, especially the tables in the narrow hallway. Being seated there, I felt like an afterthought.

The other consequence of P7 being so small, IMO, is that in order to accommodate two seatings and give every passenger at least one P7 dinner reservation, service was rushed, and servers were hovering all the time looking to whisk away the plates.

The food was top notch in the steakhouse category, ambience and service not so much, although not for lack of effort by the staff.

Hopefully the redesign and new kitchen facilities will yield a more inviting dining room and overall experience.

Folks - I hope my comments are appropriate to this particular thread. If not, my apologies to all in advance.

I've been reading all of your RSSC posts with great interest over the past several weeks and I've almost come to think that I know you through all of these threads. It is my intent to try and "snag" last-minute space on the Navigator for late season cruise in Aug/early Sep of 2012 within the next week. I'm on the verge of calling RSSC to attempt a reservation. Please keep your fingers crossed for me!

I'm in my mid-60's and I will be travelling with my Dad, who is in his early 90's (but could pass for 70 - healthwise and mental-wise). Our previous "cruise experiences" have both been courtesy careers in the U.S. Navy (that probably doesn't count :)). We also recently took an early spring 13-day Avalon river cruise in Europe (Rhine/Danube). We now are ready for an ocean cruise experience but want a small-ship environment, one that is relatively "up-scale", and one that tends to "pull out all the stops" from a standpoint of service and amentities. After eliminating a lot of other possibilities, I've focused on RSSC. Dad has always wanted to see Alaska and we both want this to be a fantastic "premier experience".

My Dad (recently having lost his wife of 64-years) has the financial means to take a cruise like this and I'm honored that he wants me to come along with him. An Alaskan cruise has been on his "bucket list" for a long time. I have been appointed as the "designated researcher" for the trip. We want to take the Navigator's 7-day cruise itinerary and would like to add on a 4-day Denali shore excursion prior to the cruise.

I have some questions/observations for you experienced/seasoned, and apparently quite devoted, Regent cruisers. Many of you have obviously been on the Navigator (and Regent) many times before and seem to think of this cruise line almose as "your" company and "your" ship/s. As a "newbie", will my Dad and I be somewhat looked down upon or made to feel as "outsiders", and "without portfolio", entering into this realm? You all seem to know each other pretty well. I the atmosphere welcoming to new-comers?

Certainly, neither of us are "tuxedo-types" (I think the last time either of us was in a tuxedo was at my wedding, 42 years ago!) but we both feel quite comfortable with the "elegant casual" (seems like an "oximoron")format in the dining rooms. We both also like the "all-inclusive" format and cost structure of Regent. We both enjoy our single-malts, and don't like the idea of continually "running a tab" in our head/s.

Secondly, since Dad and I will never have been on the Navigator before (or any ocean cruising, for that matter), we have nothing to compare this ship with - either her state before the May retrofit (size of dining rooms, etc.) or afterwards. So either way, I'm sure it will look very nice to us no matter how it turns out (why would any interior designer even consider putting carpeting in a coffee-shop? Of course it's going to get stained and slopped on! Why not a rich-looking wood floor or Italian tile? That would seem more practical). "IF" I can get any still-available cruise/suite for the desired time period (we'll probably be looking at D/E class or above), do the suites have walk-in showers? From a safety standpoint, I don't want Dad to have to be stepping up and over into a tub? I don't even like to do that!

I'm fairly certain that this will be Dad's only/last opportunity to ever take a cruise (of this caliber or to this area) like this and I want the total experince to be a wonderful event. Do you all think I'm looking in the "right direction" (with Regent/navigator) in focusing on this cruise?

Any and all thoughts and helpful hints would be most welcome. I hope to be be calling Regent within the next 12 weeks. Wish me luck! Regards to all.

Pingpong1, I believe you have found the cruise line and ship to fit your wishes. Although Regent promotes its product as upscale and luxurious (which it is), the mix of passengers is eclectic, friendly and not at all snobbish. You will fit in very well, and there will be many passengers of the same vintage as yourselves.

Navigator has very nice staterooms, and all of them have the same interior layout, up through the Penthouse suite category. The only difference is that the two lowest categories have windows instead of balconies. The bathrooms have separate tubs and shower stalls. I found the shower stall to be "compact" but manageable (I'm 6'1" and 180 lbs), and not much of a step up. With a Navy background maybe that's not an issue for you and your Dad. The tub is good sized, if that matters.

I think as first-time cruisers you will find a very welcoming atmosphere, and be pleasantly surprised at the high quality of the surroundings in the public spaces, the dining experiences, and the level of service. Good luck getting the cruise booked!

Pingpong1, I believe you have found the cruise line and ship to fit your wishes. Although Regent promotes its product as upscale and luxurious (which it is), the mix of passengers is eclectic, friendly and not at all snobbish. You will fit in very well, and there will be many passengers of the same vintage as yourselves.

I think as first-time cruisers you will find a very welcoming atmosphere, and be pleasantly surprised at the high quality of the surroundings in the public spaces, the dining experiences, and the level of service. Good luck getting the cruise booked!

Never having sailed on Navigator, I cannot comment on the ship, but kvisf has it absolutely right as far as Regent is concerned and you, pingpong1 are also right in your choice of Regent and your choice of itinerary. It doesn't come any better than Alaska on Regent and I wish you both a very happy cruise. It won't be the last, believe me.

KVISF - Wow! Thanks for the quick reply. In re-reading my post, I saw that I mistakenly said I was going to try and book this in the next 14 "weeks". I, of course, mean the next 14 DAYS. Just need to do some final coordination with Dad (who lives in Florida). I spend half of my year in WV (where I am now) and the winter months in Arizona. Glad to hear about the seperate shower/tub configuration. Best Regards, Kelvin

I promise you, Kelvin, you will not be looked down on; but, rather , welcomed. Everybody starts sometime and as you get to know the advantages of RSSC you will appreciate it even more. DW and I love SS but it is more formal and therefore over mdb we have switched. Actually not entirely true; we do look at itineraries and RSSC does a great job in Alaska. I'm very envious as my mother is 90+ bed ridden and in a nursing home--you're very lucky. God bless.

PingPong, you and your dad are in for a real treat= ENJOY!

As others said, NO ONE will look down on you - Regent pax are almost always friendly and well-traveled.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Welcome to Regent, Pingpong. Don't worry, you will feel right at home in no time. Those of us who have cruised Regent a lot before like the new people. Yes, a lot of us know each other both online and in person, but we are happy to introduce you to something we clearly love.

All the suites on Navigator are pretty big and nice. A few have windows instead of balconies. Try for a balcony if you can, but if you get a window, don't worry. They are still very nice, and the square footage in the suite itself is the same.

Bathrooms all have showers which you can walk in. They are pretty roomy. They have tubs as well, but I have never used one on a ship.

You are so lucky to be able to do this with your dad. My mom is 94 and too frail to travel now. I wish she would have done a cruise with me when she was younger, but she never liked to travel (though she seems to love to hear about my trips).

PingPong, your posting made me smile knowing how special your Navigator cruise will be with your Dad.

A suggestion I might add is regarding cabin location if your are not early risers or if you're light sleepers. You may want to chose a cabin that is more midship if there is one available. You will hear less noise and have a smoother ride (especially on the lower decks). I agree about trying for a balcony. I hope you're able to get one.

Also, I think most experienced Regent cruisers on this board will agree with me when I suggest using a travel agent who specializes in luxury cruises rather than booking directly with Regent or using a mass market travel agent, especially since this is a first Regent cruise for you and your Dad.

Have a wonderful time, I know you will.:)

To all of my "new friends" on the Regent Board - Thank You so much for your great advice, your encouragement, and your most thoughtful well wishes! I just got off a 45-minute phone call with "Katherine" at RSSC and guess what!! My Dad (Ben Langley) and I are now BOOKED on the July 25 cruise, northbound from Vancouver to Anchorage with the follow-on 4-night land program ("Discover") to Denali and the Alyeska Resort in Girdwood. Woo Hoo! I can't believe we are so lucky! I think (according to Katherine) we got the very last available suite on the ship. We are booked in a Class D "Guaranteed" situation, so we'll either be in a Concierge Suite or, if none are available, we'll be upgraded to a Penthouse Suite for the same price ("Damn the bad luck", wouldn't that be a shame!).

I don't think I would have done this, or acted so quickly, if it had not been for the great reviews I've read (discounting the very few 2-star "horror stories"), the enthusiasm and loyalty for Regent which permeates this web site, and the personally-directed kind words of recommendation and assurance you all passed along to me on this thread. As soon as the booking went through, I called my Dad to give him the good news and "my 94 year old" is now as excited as a "9-year old"! :) So am I! I think I heard him doing "jumping-jacks" over the telephone.

"PetLover" (so am I -7 foster cats from the Humane Society which we adopted - they travel with us between WV and AZ twice a year! - Yes, we have a huge Chevy Van and bring along plenty of food and litter), RachelG, TedC (I lived in Pittsford and worked at the "Big K" - when it was actually big - for 5 years), NewLondon, Orpington (DW and I were "stationed" in the UK for 5 years while in the Navy), KVIS, and "Wendy The Wonderer" (you need to get out more! Just Kidding!) - Thanks to all of you for the warm sentiments.

I guess I will now be transferring a lot of attention and posts over to the RSSC Roll Call thread and see if I have any fellow "shipmates" signed on there. Of course, now that I'm a "Regent Guy" (albeit - still wet behind the ears) I'll be "hanging out" on this site a lot more often in the future. Best Regards to all, Kelvin Langley (Berkeley Springs, WV & Surprise, AZ)

pingpong1,

Since you and your dad will be in a Concierge Suite or above, remember that Regent should reduce the price of the post-cruise land trip by 10%. You and your dad will have a wonderful time.

Great news Kelvin, especially if you get upgrade but even the standard cabins are excellent!

Small world with all the connections but as one comedian said:

"It's a small world but I wouldn't want to have to paint it!"

As an unapologetic Regent cheerleader I know you'll have a wonderful cruise. Just be warned that if you get the cruising bug (it's VERY contagious) then after Regent nothing else will do. Your fellow passengers are very friendly, unpretentious and relaxed who don't feel they need to prove anything.

Our upcoming cruise in July will be our first on the Navigator after one each on Voyager and Mariner to,it will be interesting to compare. I've already been warned that the smaller Navigator doesn't have as many nooks to hide away in with a book but hey, it's Alaska, the scenary is the star. I hope I don't miss the Observation Lounge with forward views too much or the blissful veranda outside the Horizon Lounge overlooking the wake but there's only one way to find out! I dont think we'll be as lucky with the weather as we were last time - clear blue skies, calm seas and very warm temps every day - but fingers crossed.

As for the refit, I assume they are making changes to suit demand or for practical purposes. It they aren't popular I'm sure we'll let them know!

So excited to hear that you got booked, Kevin, and a concierge suite to boot! Outstanding.

Navigator is a nice little ship. You navy guys will appreciate her. I took my Marine son on a Regent cruise last year to celebrate his completing his 5 yr enlistment, and he is hooked (mom, when can we go again?)! Of course, he made me use all the correct navy terms for the floor, doors, toilet, windows, etc. and I was quizzed daily.

Pingpong1: So thrilled to hear that you booked the cruise. We are currently on the Voyager and enjoy seeing how well everyone is treated -- how calm and relaxed the passengers are and always enjoy the magnificent crew that take care of all of us so well.

P.S. Obviously a pet lover -- how wonderful that you adopted from the Humane Society. Our newest "babies" were adopted from there as well:)

To get back to the original topic - Navigator Drydock and what is likely to happen!! - I still do not understand why an Observation Lounge is not created out of the spa/health Club and deck forward of that. I understand that there used to be one there and some genius took it out!! Of course the walking machines now have a stunning view but I rather think that an Obs. Lounge would be more appropriate!! Spa and health club really doesn't require windows and could be hidden somewhere else...

Anyway when Franck Galzy was on our TA cruise in March he said that the masters, owners and Navigator Suites will all be re-done in the dry dock. That sounds great! But I really hope that the painting and carpet re-laying is not limited to those suites...

All of the suggestions are interesting, but are not in the plans for the Navigator. They had a forward Observation Lounge that was removed quite some time ago.

IMO, in addition to the Navigator suffering from a hull that was not meant to be a passenger ship (thus the stability issues), Radisson (now Regent) put enough suites for 490 passengers. This left poor public spaces (except perhaps Gaileo lounge). If you look at the Silversea Whisper (almost same size as the Navigator with only 383 passengers), you will find a spacious ship with plenty of public areas. Radisson made quite an error (IMO) by putting too many suites on a ship of that size.

Still, the Navigator is a wonderful ship to cruise in Alaska and the Caribbean. Apollo/Prestige Cruise Holdings has already spent approximately $100 million dollars on the Navigator to improve the stability, etc. IMO, as long as they keep it out of rough seas, it will remain a wonderful ship to sail on.

Archived