Locking luggage on a cruisetour

DRPWDunIL

Once you are on the land portion of a Princess Alaska cruisetour, can you lock your luggage as it is transported from hotel to hotel (using regular locks rather than TSA locks)?

Just look at this video and you will instantly understand that a lock is meaningless. About all it does is prevent the zippers from accidentally working themselves open.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf-DGKUNffI

I would always advise someone to lock their luggage, just like locking their car, their house door and window.

I'm sure there are vidoe showing how people can hotwire a car, break into a house in seconds....

Once you are on the land portion of a Princess Alaska cruisetour, can you lock your luggage as it is transported from hotel to hotel (using regular locks rather than TSA locks)?

You arent going to see your luggage on the land portion of a cruisetour...except for one small bag that they allow you to take along with you.

The balance of your luggage will be held in storage until you checkin for your cruise (this in the case of a southbound cruise). Northbound, the process is reversed.

Not exactly correct. On a cruise tour you have one carry on small bag that you move yourself and is with you on the train or below the bus. In addition, you get one piece of luggage (any size) that is moved from lodge to lodge with you. The remainder of your luggage is tagged to the ship or last lodge/airport and will meet you there at the end of the land portion.

You arent going to see your luggage on the land portion of a cruisetour...except for one small bag that they allow you to take along with you.

The balance of your luggage will be held in storage until you checkin for your cruise (this in the case of a southbound cruise). Northbound, the process is reversed.

I would always advise someone to lock their luggage, just like locking their car, their house door and window.

I'm sure there are vidoe showing how people can hotwire a car, break into a house in seconds....

Locking a bag only gives a person a false sense of security & provides them with the knowledge that they've done something to prevent thievery of their possessions when in reality it targets the suitcase with a sign that says "something of value in here".

If you don't pack anything of any value in the suitcase, the suitcase is probably the most expensive thing you could lose.

Locks keep an honest person honest.

TSA lock can be opened legally by security, standard luck may be cut off by security, if there are any suspicions!! :rolleyes: :D

Cato ;)

Completed Cruises !

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07Jun.0212 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

Future & Hopeful Cruises !

( Already booked )

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier round trip.

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York.

22nd cruise - Caribbean Princess, 7 days, 29 SEP - 06 OCT 2012, Canada/New England

23 & 24th cruises - Sapphire Princess B2B, 04 - 11 May & 11 - 18 May, 2013, California Coastal & Wine Country

25th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

Locking a bag only gives a person a false sense of security & provides them with the knowledge that they've done something to prevent thievery of their possessions when in reality it targets the suitcase with a sign that says "something of value in here".

If you don't pack anything of any value in the suitcase, the suitcase is probably the most expensive thing you could lose.

Or, a thief could look through a pile of luggage and think "I'll go with the path of the least resistance".

My clothing is worth more than just a little bit of money, not to mention my shoes. And I bet if you added up what you have packed in your case, you may be surprised at the value of everything in there.

So, lock or don't lock, if a thief wants into your case they will get in, or steal the whole case. I'll continue to lock my case to keep the zipper pulls together and perhaps deter a would be thief that wants to take the easy way.

I do get travel insurance that covers loss of luggage.

Just look at this video and you will instantly understand that a lock is meaningless. About all it does is prevent the zippers from accidentally working themselves open.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf-DGKUNffI

You can't (well, I can't) do that to the zippers on my bag or my DH's bag. Maybe the bag in the video has a faulty zipper or a cheap one?

Or, a thief could look through a pile of luggage and think "I'll go with the path of the least resistance".

My clothing is worth more than just a little bit of money, not to mention my shoes. And I bet if you added up what you have packed in your case, you may be surprised at the value of everything in there.

So, lock or don't lock, if a thief wants into your case they will get in, or steal the whole case. I'll continue to lock my case to keep the zipper pulls together and perhaps deter a would be thief that wants to take the easy way.

I do get travel insurance that covers loss of luggage.

You must travel with some real expensive clothing fear having it stolen ! After removing all my most expensive items to my carry pack, the remaining items in my suitcase I'm sure wouldn't interest anyone intent on stealing valuable things.

If your strong lock gives you piece of mind then go for it but just remember that there so easily defeated, other than appearance for the naive it does nothing and can be either bypassed by picking or simple cut off.

Insurance reimbursement is the only solution for important articles.

You must travel with some real expensive clothing fear having it stolen ! After removing all my most expensive items to my carry pack, the remaining items in my suitcase I'm sure wouldn't interest anyone intent on stealing valuable things.

If your strong lock gives you piece of mind then go for it but just remember that there so easily defeated, other than appearance for the naive it does nothing and can be either bypassed by picking or simple cut off.

The thing is that people aren't always intent on stealing expensive clothing. All around Europe you find people on the footpath selling the most mundane clothes that have obviously been "acquired" from someone's suitcase. Admittedly they usually take the entire case but I have had friends who have had a handful of clothes take out of suitcases in trains, buses and hotels.

Like I mentioned before, add up the contents of your luggage sometime, you may be surprised at the value. Say you have 5 pair of pants @ $40 each, 5 shirts about the same cost, right there is $400. A couple pair of shoes, some underwear and a few other things, I would bet the contents are now well over $500-600. I sell luggage part time and I doubt from what I see at airports/cruise ports that many people have luggage valued at over $200, more likely bargain pieces worth $89 from TJ Maxx.

Peace of mind is not knowing my luggage is locked, I am realistic enough to know that if a thief wants in, they will get in. Just make it a bit more difficult for them. Peace of mind comes when I see my luggage again, not unlocked and not pilfered through.

Heck, just a zip tie to keep the zippers closed is enough. But it's laughable to think that thieves will take the time to sort through bags to see which ones are locked and therefore must contain more valuables, they are opportunists and will take the easiest way possible. The ones that get stolen from? Just unlucky.

Locking luggage isn't like locking your front door. Sometimes the zipper can be opened with a pen. Luggage can be easily opened with almost no effort. Lock cut off. Open the bag with a knife. A nice lock suggests their might be stuff worth stealing. Take the entire bag and open at leisure.

Locking luggage is like locking a front door with a chain lock or leaving the window next to the door open.

Locking luggage isn't like locking your front door. Sometimes the zipper can be opened with a pen. Luggage can be easily opened with almost no effort. Lock cut off. Open the bag with a knife. A nice lock suggests their might be stuff worth stealing. Take the entire bag and open at leisure.

Locking luggage is like locking a front door with a chain lock or leaving the window next to the door open.

Not that people on the ship would think of going through anyone's suitcase but it would be extremely easy to pick up a nice looking locked bag in the hallway the last night & roll it into your room. You'd have all the time in the world to go through the suitcase to see if there's anything worth stealing and the person would never know it till they arrived home. Zip ties can be easily replaced.

What bag would a potential thief pick on? A nice new suitcase with a lock on it for sure.....not some scruffy old bag that's been to hell & back even though it's unlocked. ;)

It's only fortunate that most Princess cruisers are not the type to steal items from suitcases.

The biggest risk point is not landside btw, its airside and shipside where bags are scanned by x-ray and people can SEE what's inside a given bag. The large majority of TSA thefts for example are by people at the security checkpoints, or by people tipped off by those (there was a ring here in PHL a few years ago where the scanner agent was marking bags with jewelry for 'special inspection').

Not that people on the ship would think of going through anyone's suitcase but it would be extremely easy to pick up a nice looking locked bag in the hallway the last night & roll it into your room. You'd have all the time in the world to go through the suitcase to see if there's anything worth stealing and the person would never know it till they arrived home. Zip ties can be easily replaced.

What bag would a potential thief pick on? A nice new suitcase with a lock on it for sure.....not some scruffy old bag that's been to hell & back even though it's unlocked. ;)

It's only fortunate that most Princess cruisers are not the type to steal items from suitcases.

(there was a ring here in PHL a few years ago where the scanner agent was marking bags with jewelry for 'special inspection').

And it is amazing how many people still pack valuables in their checked luggage. Cameras, iPads, computers, jewelry, etc,. should not be uin checked luggage.

Well on a Diamond trip to the Mexican Riviera, kids were opening luggage that had been placed there for disembarkation. Stab with a pen--yank stuff out--move onto the next bag. I'm sure stuff was stolen. I make sure to put my bags out when there are lots out there, not late when there are just a few. However, my bags are scruffy with average locks. Not interesting.

Did they get caught?

Well on a Diamond trip to the Mexican Riviera, kids were opening luggage that had been placed there for disembarkation. Stab with a pen--yank stuff out--move onto the next bag. I'm sure stuff was stolen. I make sure to put my bags out when there are lots out there, not late when there are just a few. However, my bags are scruffy with average locks. Not interesting.

In the hallway or on land?

If on land, could you tell if the kids were passengers or not?

Archived