Silver shadow live review: 3213 Tokyo to seward

cmhmarine

Ok here is the scoop! Due to Japanese regulations there was no Internet service available while in Japanese ports or within 12 miles of shore. Which accounted for the majority of the first week of the voyage. I decided to wait till I had reliable service to post.

This was an amazing trip all around! More to follow.

Dying to hear all about your trip Josh.

Cheers

Jennifer

Now we can say Bon Voyage. Wishing you an absolutely wonderful cruise.

Keith

Keith: I have read lots of your advise on the Crystal boards. I am now considering a cruise on the Silver Shadow to South Pacific. How does this ship compare to the Symphony? I have been on the Cloud years ago, never yet on Crystal which I am taking to Canada/New England. Is the food good enough on Silversea for a devoted Crystal fan?

Ok here is the scoop!

Due to Japanese regulations there was no Internet service available while in Japanese ports or within 12 miles of shore. Which accounted for the majority of the first week of the voyage.

I decided to wait till I had reliable service to post.

This was an amazing trip all around!

More to follow.

I figured this was the case.

We had the same issue on a different cruise ship earlier this year sailing Japan. There was no internet the entire time we were in Japan and Japanese waters.

I am glad to hear it was an amazing trip.

Keith

Keith: I have read lots of your advise on the Crystal boards. I am now considering a cruise on the Silver Shadow to South Pacific. How does this ship compare to the Symphony? I have been on the Cloud years ago, never yet on Crystal which I am taking to Canada/New England. Is the food good enough on Silversea for a devoted Crystal fan?

The two ships are different but each have their attributes. For me, size works as an advantage on both ships for different reasons since they are two different size ships.

To me the biggest positives on the Shadow are the size of the guest rooms and the fact that the ship is easy to get around given its size.

At the same time to me the biggest positive about the Symphony is also its size particularly the amount of room that is devoted to public space for all of the enrichment and entertainment that can be offered concurrently. The Symphony is going in for dry-dock this month to put the finishing touches on a multi-year plan that updates essentially every room on the ship including public and staterooms.

My wife and I are ones who enjoy both smaller and medium size ships and find that each one provides a different experience. There are some who would find one too large and one too small but we like both.

Food is always subjective. Overall I do prefer the food on Crystal more than Silversea particularly the evening menus in the dining room and the specialty restaurants of Crystal. At the same time, I thought a strong point for Silversea and on the Shadow was in the area of food/ambience/service in La Terrazza for both breakfast and lunch. I didn't particularly care for the dinner at this venue but enjoyed the breakfasts/lunches.

Hopefully, you will enjoy both ships and voyages.

We've done both types of itineraries on another line and that included New England/Canada on the Symphony.

Keith

Looks like we may have to wait until September when the Shadow does a similiar itinerary to get a review. Was really looking forward to hearing about the crossing:o

Shame we were looking forward to reading all about it as well, maybe we'll get a super review when they're back home.

So Ging466 it's over to you now in September! :D

Shame we were looking forward to reading all about it as well, maybe we'll get a super review when they're back home.

So Ging466 it's over to you now in September! :D

Hi fairbourne

I'm sure we will hear all about the trip from Josh but in the meantime, I will definitely be doing a report this September.:D

Cheers

Jennifer

Looks like we may have to wait until September when the Shadow does a similiar itinerary to get a review. Was really looking forward to hearing about the crossing:o

As a fellow traveler with Josh, lets give him a few days. He was to meet up with his daughter for a few days in Orlando, on his return from ANC. I beleave he wasn't supposed to arrive until Friday afternoon.

I know in these days of 24 hour news ( I changed perspective after 3 days at sea on this trip) we want to get the word out. Untill Josh gets back "on line" I would be happy to answer questions you may have.

As a fellow traveler with Josh, lets give him a few days. He was to meet up with his daughter for a few days in Orlando, on his return from ANC. I beleave he wasn't supposed to arrive until Friday afternoon.

I know in these days of 24 hour news ( I changed perspective after 3 days at sea on this trip) we want to get the word out. Untill Josh gets back "on line" I would be happy to answer questions you may have.

I know that the Bering Sea can be quite rough..... what was your experience?

Would also appreciate any comments you have about the ports. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi DonK

Perhaps u can give us a rundown on your cruise. I'm keen to hear about the sea conditions and the temperatures. I'm doing this cruise in reverse, Vancouver to Tokyo in September so a run down on the ports would be interesting too.

How did the Shadow shape up overall? Did u have a full ship?

Cheers

Jennifer

Hi DonK,

Like Jennifer I am keen to hear about your cruise as I have booked us on the Tokyo to Anchorage cruise May 2013. I see on the website that some categories are watlisted so early booking was a good move.

Look forward to your reply.

Donna.

Interesting news about internet by Japan. That settles our quandary. Our first cruising goal is cruising around the world in segments and we have been wavering between the Japan & Alaska run (which runs twice a year) or finding something from LA to Sydney (which runs less often but is coming up in January) to 'knock off' the crossing of the Pacific.

We are still running our business while on board ship and can't go more than a few days without internet access.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Hope this isn't too off topic. Does anyone know about how far the Imperial Hotel in Tokyo is from the pier that Silversea uses (and the name of the pier)? Also, does anyone have information about means of transportation from the Imperial Hotel to the port, as well as about how much it would cost and how long it would take? My husband and I are doing a Tokyo to Hong Kong cruise next year, and I'm thinking that we might stay at the Imperial Hotel on our own, so wouldn't be using the Silversea transfer to the port.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Still thinking that we'll have to wait for the September, 2012 crossing to hear about it. We are booked for September, 2013 and are thrilled that this will be a L'Ecole des Chefs Voyage with Chef David Bilsland on board. He was on our last SS cruise and we enjoyed him very much. We hoping that this will also be a "Culinary Arts Voyage" as the one this September will be. Having a guest Chef is always nice.

Hi. Hope this isn't too off topic. Does anyone know about how far the Imperial Hotel in Tokyo is from the pier that Silversea uses (and the name of the pier)? Also, does anyone have information about means of transportation from the Imperial Hotel to the port, as well as about how much it would cost and how long it would take? My husband and I are doing a Tokyo to Hong Kong cruise next year, and I'm thinking that we might stay at the Imperial Hotel on our own, so wouldn't be using the Silversea transfer to the port.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Hi. Sorry to be reposting this, but since the US just passed its 4th of July holiday, I thought perhaps there would be more people reading posts today. I remain hopeful for some helpful information! Thanks.

Have a great cruise Josh. We were on board the Shadow last May but we sailed out of Incheon Korea ( as it was post tsunami for Japan ) and there were only 96 paying passengers ! so I will follow your posts with a lot of interest. We had a great time and I hope you do too. Ann

Hi Ann

Did u need a visa for Petropavlosk (Kamchatka) on this cruise? I've emailed SS's TravelDocs people and they haven't replied to my email.

Thankx

Jennifer

No visa was needed for Petropavlosk.The Russian authorities came aboard and looked at all our passports.That can be slow but apparently as the numbers were down on our cruise because of the tsunami they were able to slip an extra couple of bottles of whisky to the Russians which sped things up.

Hi. Sorry to be reposting this, but since the US just passed its 4th of July holiday, I thought perhaps there would be more people reading posts today. I remain hopeful for some helpful information! Thanks.

Suggest you email the hotel. Don't think anyone is ignoring your question -- unless someone on this thread has actually stayed there, they would not know the answer.:)

Suggest you email the hotel. Don't think anyone is ignoring your question -- unless someone on this thread has actually stayed there, they would not know the answer.:)

Thanks for the suggestion. Just as an FYI, I asked the question relative to this hotel because it is the hotel that the OP was staying at (I believe via Silversea), and is a hotel that I know Silversea uses in Tokyo. That's why I thought others on the Silversea board might know the answer. However, your suggestion is a good one, and I appreciate your help.

No visa was needed for Petropavlosk.The Russian authorities came aboard and looked at all our passports.That can be slow but apparently as the numbers were down on our cruise because of the tsunami they were able to slip an extra couple of bottles of whisky to the Russians which sped things up.

Thankx very much drron. Looks like I'm good to go now.:D

Cheers

Jennifer

Sweetpea711243,

This may be too late for you, but we will be on Shadow this Sep. 23, Tokyo to Beijing. We'll be staying at the Imperial with Silversea transfers, so will be glad to answer your questions or when we get our documents or on the cruise if you are still interested by then.

Archived