Silver shadow live review: 3213 Tokyo to seward

cmhmarine

Well the time has come around again!

Time for a live review of the Silver Shadow, as I embark from Tokyo for a 15 day transoceanic crossing to Seward, Ak.

I'm currently in Miami, at the Marriott lounge contemplating my journey over a Stella Artois.

I leave in the morning to make my way to Tokyo, which should land me at the imperial hotel sometime the evening of the 16th, and then embarking the shadow on the afternoon of the 17th.

I have sailed one other time with SS , on the shadow in 2009, and had a wonderful time. I suspect I will find a great ship, crew, and new friends along with a few surprises since the shadow has under gone a refurbishment since we met last.

Im looking forward to dining at hot rocks, a first for me, as well as visiting again le champagne, la terazza, and the restaurant. A few cocktails may be had along the way as well......

I enjoy food and wine, although not classically trained in either discipline. My observations will be just that, observations.

I intend to post photos, and tidbits of my journey as the Internet connection allows.

I do wish I was a travel writer, but those of you who are writers, or scholars please forgive misspellings, and punctuation. I will do my best on that front so the narrative flows, well at least to me after a gin or two :)

I will respond to inquiries as I go, so stay tuned......

CMHMARINE - I love your optimistic joyful anticipation -- I'm sure you'll have a wonderful cruise -- and will look forward to whatever you can share with us along the way.

Bon voyage ....:)

Col. Wes,

You may have me confused with another, my first name is josh....do not fear however, we shall meet on the fall 2013 transatlantic.

Dusababy, Without optimism, I would be adrift in a sea of self loathing. :)

Josh, my bad, thanks for correction..absolutely look fwd to our 2013 crossing..can't wait to board the Spirit for this fall's crossing too. WE need to get Dusababy (Mary Ann)to join our Spirit 2013 crossing.

Have a great cruise Josh. We were on board the Shadow last May but we sailed out of Incheon Korea ( as it was post tsunami for Japan ) and there were only 96 paying passengers ! so I will follow your posts with a lot of interest. We had a great time and I hope you do too.

Ann

Thank you all for the well wishes. I have offically started my journey.

I write to you from the delta lounge in Atlanta, awaiting boarding for my flight to Tokyo.

After a teriffic meal last night and a fitful nights sleep I made my sat to Atlanta. I'm guessing i did not sleep well due to :panticipation of the delights to come, I anxiously await some sleep on the flight.....

I elected to try the economy comfort section, at a small up charge for this leg of the flight. I could have upgraded to business class, but it was a bit ridiculous what they were asking. (enough for a 7 day SS cruise for one).

My flights were arranged through SS. I'm happy with the flight choices and times. They are very reasonable, as were my air arrangements in 2009. Since I'm now not under any work constraints, they have made IMHO good choices for me. Not too early and pretty direct.

Since this flight leg is the only international one, I did not elect the business class air, as I did not see the value in paying for just one leg. I would suggest to SS a plan to upgrade certain legs of flights booked through their air dept. This happens to be a 14+ hour flight and I would have gladly paid more, but almost 3000 was a bit extreme for just this flight. I realize these are bulk seats they get, so I'm not complaining. Just wishing.

I will check back in from the imperial hotel in Tokyo. Have a good day all!

Very excited about hearing all of the details of your cruise. We are doing a similiar sailing next year (Tokyo to Vancouver) on the Shadow. Hope your flight is/was uneventful and that you were able to get some sleep.

After arrival in narita and the usual formalities, which did not take very long The group that was assembled at baggage claim was boarded on a bus for the hour trip to the imperial hotel.

Upon arrival, there was a special desk set up for SS guests that had a packet of information and room keys all set. In about 30 seconds after stepping through the door, I was on my way to my room to shower and then on to eat.

I did have a good laugh in my bathroom with the " control panel" for the toilet, after pressing the wrong button, which I thought was flush. :) it truly is an do everything lavatory, even the seat is warm...

I ventured out for sushi and a beer about a block and a half from the hotel. After eating the traveling was catching up to me and I returned for a very comfortable nights rest.

This hotel is absolutely fantastic. What makes it appealing to me is twofold. First, the attention to detail is amazing in everything that the hotel does and offers, from the thoughtful amenites in the room to the morning meal that was included with my stay Second, the hospitality and service of the staff is second to none. All I can say is wow!

The morning meal was in the buffet on the 17 floor with views of the city all around. There were two lines, one for an "Americanized" breakfast and another for more traditional Japanese tastes. Service again was superb.

We are gathering in the lobby now for the transfer to the ship, about a 20 min bus ride.

That is all for now...

After arrival in narita and the usual formalities, which did not take very long The group that was assembled at baggage claim was boarded on a bus for the hour trip to the imperial hotel.

Upon arrival, there was a special desk set up for SS guests that had a packet of information and room keys all set. In about 30 seconds after stepping through the door, I was on my way to my room to shower and then on to eat.

I did have a good laugh in my bathroom with the " control panel" for the toilet, after pressing the wrong button, which I thought was flush. :) it truly is an do everything lavatory, even the seat is warm...

I ventured out for sushi and a beer about a block and a half from the hotel. After eating the traveling was catching up to me and I returned for a very comfortable nights rest.

This hotel is absolutely fantastic. What makes it appealing to me is twofold. First, the attention to detail is amazing in everything that the hotel does and offers, from the thoughtful amenites in the room to the morning meal that was included with my stay Second, the hospitality and service of the staff is second to none. All I can say is wow!

The morning meal was in the buffet on the 17 floor with views of the city all around. There were two lines, one for an "Americanized" breakfast and another for more traditional Japanese tastes. Service again was superb.

We are gathering in the lobby now for the transfer to the ship, about a 20 min bus ride.

That is all for now...

I look forward to your continued posts. DW and I have booked the Silversea Shadow for its May 2013 cruise Tokyo to Anchorage. Now I see that Travelcat2 and Elginjock will also be on the same cruise.

We experienced the "control panel" at two hotels during our trip to Japan five years ago. Oh yes, just great. But even though I have a degree in engineering, the control panel had a learning curve. DW said that we just had to have one of these seats in or house. :D But we have yet to install one. :(

The Japanese do know how to be hospitable. Except during wartime, I believe that is part of their culture. In Kyoto at the Hyatt Regency Hotel every time we approached the door to the outside, a young lady would run to open the door. And the door was self opening. And no tipping except for taxis. :)

All your observations will be most welcome. If you should have occasion to notice our cabin 658 location, please let us know of any pluses or minuses. Ops, I mean suite 658. I am not used to all "cabins" being "suites."

Bob :cool:

I look forward to your continued posts. DW and I have booked the Silversea Shadow for its May 2013 cruise Tokyo to Anchorage. Now I see that Travelcat2 and Elginjock will also be on the same cruise.

Bob :cool:

I incorrectly stated that we are on the 2013 Tokyo to Vancouver sailing. Actually we are on the Vancouver to Tokyo sailing in September. Can I blame my confusion to the fact that I'm jetlagged from a cruise that ended Sunday:confused:

We noticed that the SS website does not indicate which cruises in 2013 will be Culinary Art Voyages and/or L’École des Chefs. Hope they will be added to the May and September 2013 voyages as they were most enjoyable on a crossing (New York to Southampton) we did on the Whisper.

Thanx, CMHMarine for the detailed posts - keep 'em coming. Having never been to Japan or Alaska, I am really looking forward to doing this cruise in May 2013 & am most anxious to hear your experiences so that I can get the most out of this itinerary.

Ok here is the scoop!

Due to Japanese regulations there was no Internet service available while in Japanese ports or within 12 miles of shore. Which accounted for the majority of the first week of the voyage.

I decided to wait till I had reliable service to post.

This was an amazing trip all around!

More to follow.

Archived