Cabin Steward

I have read in past posts that people give a gift bag to their cabin steward as a good jesture in the beginning of the cruise. My question is for suggestions for the gifts since you do not know in advance whether you will have a male or female.

Crew on any ship don't have room to store goodies from their guests. They have 4 people per room, which are usually smaller than the average stateroom. They are there to make money, if you really want to show your appreciation to them give them cash.

I am a former crew member, and to be honest, gifts and small trinkets are appreciated for the gesture, but they end up collecting dust and taking up space. If you want to show appreciation to a crew member and you don't want to give cash (cash is definitely the best gift you can give btw) then give something like a bottle of wine/alcohol or chocolates. Something they can enjoy and then it won't take up space.

You don't need to offer any gifts at the beginning of the cruise though, the crew do need incentive to work hard for you... they do appreciate recognition for their hard work at the end of the cruise though! Enjoy your cruise.

The only gift I ever gave was on a Valentine Day cruise. I brought little $2 box of chocolates for everyone. I was thanked so often by our assistant waiter it was almost embarrassing.Of course I tipped him very well at the end of the cruise as well.

:cool:Yes Cash is what they need not gift bags. A twenty on the front end will ensure you will have superior service through out your vacation. And a twenty at the end if they exceeded your expectations. ;)

Read all the posts and agree with the gratuities and extra amounts if desired. That being said, however, my wife makes chocolate candy and chocolate covered pretzels, etc., and we usually take a small gift box of this for the stateroom attendants (and others) and it always has been received well. In particular on a cruise that included Christmas, they all seemed to like them a lot - especially being away from their families. We don't do it as a bribe and expect nothing extra in return, but just as a thank you and as a freindly gesture.

i've given out little bags of candy for valentine's/holiday cruises...

also...especially on longer cruises (and once while on a b2b2b from SJU) i asked if there was anything that anyone needed from the mall...i must have bought out all the panty hose at JCP!!! they must wear stockings and don't always have time to get them...

i've also bought a pair of shoes (at the request of a loyalty ambassador...:p )cookies and chips!!

cash is king, but if you want to do something, and you'll have time, you could always ask if they need anything from port...

I have read in past posts that people give a gift bag to their cabin steward as a good jesture in the beginning of the cruise. My question is for suggestions for the gifts since you do not know in advance whether you will have a male or female.

I don't know where you've gotten your information from but many of us realize the money is the best gift. As far as giving something at the beginning of the cruise, I look at this as a bribe. Do you give a server in a restaurant a tip at the beginning....of course not. If you feel the service has been exceptional give extra money on the last day.

Also .....to the person who suggested wine as a gift.............how in the world are we supposed to bring a bottle of wine if we are not allowed to bring alcohol onboard and besides that some people do not drink so this "gift" may not be appropriate.

I don't know where you've gotten your information from but many of us realize the money is the best gift. As far as giving something at the beginning of the cruise, I look at this as a bribe. Do you give a server in a restaurant a tip at the beginning....of course not. If you feel the service has been exceptional give extra money on the last day.

Also .....to the person who suggested wine as a gift.............how in the world are we supposed to bring a bottle of wine if we are not allowed to bring alcohol onboard and besides that some people do not drink so this "gift" may not be appropriate.

I look at it as a pre tip, not a bribe. I would consider it a bribe if the person performing the service never expected compensation from me. I have never had a bad reaction, only gratitude. A steward and a server do two different services and the amount of interaction with the two is very different so I tip them in two different ways.

I won't refer to the way you tip in a negative way so please don't refer to the way I tip in a negative way.

.....we never give it at the beginning but mid-way or so for the very purpose of not wanting it to look like a bribe. We also have a chance that way to get to know them a little and it is more personal and just a nice little surprise.

On a recent cruise, we recieved a bon voyage bottle of wine by our TA and one from C&A. At the end of the cruise, we had an unopened bottle that we gave to the room steward. And if he doesn't drink, I am sure he would give it to someone who does.

Why on earth would you give a gift to someone you don't know for no appearant reason?

But than I cannot understand why people "pre-pay" tips.

Isn't the potential tip supposed to motivate the worker?

The entire tipping thing has gotten so far away from the real reason it is there for...

I look at it as a pre tip, not a bribe. I would consider it a bribe if the person performing the service never expected compensation from me. I have never had a bad reaction, only gratitude. A steward and a server do two different services and the amount of interaction with the two is very different so I tip them in two different ways.

I won't refer to the way you tip in a negative way so please don't refer to the way I tip in a negative way.

Of course you wouldn't get a bad reaction from a crew member.What I don't understand is why people keep giving trinkets and small gifts when it has been explained over and over that they have no place to keep them.I prefer to reward the excellant service with a gift they need and can use,money.

Why on earth would you give a gift to someone you don't know for no appearant reason?

But than I cannot understand why people "pre-pay" tips.

Isn't the potential tip supposed to motivate the worker?

The entire tipping thing has gotten so far away from the real reason it is there for...

I agree.

And I'll bet the worker getting the candy is thinking, "I hope this guy doesn't think that candy is going to get him special treatment":).

Don't give a gift...but we do give the cabin attendant money up front. We always ask for a lounge chair for the balcony on the first day of the cruise so we like to give them a little something to say thank you:D

Read all the posts and agree with the gratuities and extra amounts if desired. That being said, however, my wife makes chocolate candy and chocolate covered pretzels, etc., and we usually take a small gift box of this for the stateroom attendants (and others) and it always has been received well. In particular on a cruise that included Christmas, they all seemed to like them a lot - especially being away from their families. We don't do it as a bribe and expect nothing extra in return, but just as a thank you and as a freindly gesture.

Although your intentions may be good, I don't think bringing homemade food gifts is a good idea. Of course they are going to thank you and be gracious. What else are they going to do?

Would you eat homemade food given to you by someone you don't know? I wouldn't.

There are other reasons why this is not a good idea.

Thank you all for your input. Many good points have been made and I appreciate all of them. I believe my best option would be to just give my offerings ($$$) at the end of the cruise. Never gave it much thought that the crew members would ot have much room to call their own.

Archived