Kids?

taraysee

While I am not technically a first timer, the kids and hubby are! We've booked for the week after thanksgiving, and are of course, really excited! I keep running across posts warning people about times, when there are lots of kids.

Being that we are cruising when there will be likely be less kids (schools in session) will ---- a.) there be other kids for them to play with at the camp and b.) are we more likely to run into people who would rather not be around little ones?

My boys are well behaved and a little shy, so I don't worry about their behavior so much, but they are kids, so we have our moments. just wondering so I can be prepared.

Thanks!

You didn't say which cruiseline or how many days your cruise is (two of the factors that could determine how many other kids are onboard), but it could be that there won't be too many, unless several homeschooled kids are there. Usually the first week of December isn't a popular one for kids to travel as some schools may have finals that week.

There are a lot of folks on these boards who feel kids shouldn't cruise, and they hate the thought of them on a ship....hence the posts you refer to.

There are no downsides to kids on a ship...kids are kept entertained and it's not a problem, either for the adults or kids!

I cruised the week after Thanksgiving almost two years ago. There were kids, but not many. I don't think this is a popular week, we heard many people state that since they lived near the port, they were offered a very nice last minute package to fill the ship.

I see you're on Carnival, Mexican Riviera While there will be many fewer kids, there are always some on lines like Carnival.

It's always best to never allow kids the age of yours to wander the ship alone. It's just not safe and it seems the time when kids get into trouble. While you probably already know this, you'd be surprised by how many parents leave their parenting at home and let their kids run wild.

Now, as for Mexico, be on alert when you leave the ship. Unfortunately, the drug cartels have been really on point in that area, to the extent that many American expats have been leaving their retirement homes. I would recommend not renting a car and going off on your own, as kidnapping is always a possibility in the outer areas.

Have a great cruise.

Thanks everyone! Yes we are on a 7 day, carnival cruise to Mexico.

There is certainly no chance they'd alone running about! They wouldn't even be allowed even to the other side of the buffet with out me or DH!

Just curious, where did you see this?:confused:

All you need to do is look at their previous posts. I did that and saw that the OP was posting on Carnival's board about their upcoming Mexico cruise.

My kids love the Camp Carnival. There will still be a fair number of kids on that cruise. As for the post warning of the dangers of Mexico, keep in mind that the media provide a lot of stories of the horrors of Mrxico but are vague as to the exact location which causes some to label the whole country as out of control drug gang bangers. This so far from reality. Yes there are long lasting drug wars, killings, attacts on locals and tourists as well but these are primarily based in the center of the country and the Texas/Arizona border towns. There was one group of tourists robbed in PV last year and some drug related violence in Mazatlan. An individual's safety in these towns is based on the individuals common sense. If you syray away from the tourist areas or are looking to buy drugs or other illegal items yes, you may find trouble. The goverment of Mexico realizes the value of the tour industry and goes to great lengths to ensure a safe visit for cruise passengers. Take the same cautions that you would if you visited a big city in the U.S. and you should be fine.

PS. Cabo is very safe and loads of fun, PV has lots of cool excursions, the Pirates is neat for kids. Have fun.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

Being that we are cruising when there will be likely be less kids (schools in session) will ---- a.) there be other kids for them to play with at the camp and b.) are we more likely to run into people who would rather not be around little ones?

Doesn't California have some form of year round school? Seems like we have known folks who did that....

If true, there are likely to be more kids onboard than a Caribbean cruise where the majority of passengers originate in the East.

Doesn't California have some form of year round school? Seems like we have known folks who did that....

If true, there are likely to be more kids onboard than a Caribbean cruise where the majority of passengers originate in the East.

You're talking about a state with many, many school districts. I know that in Los Angeles, which has the second biggest school district in the US, the only year round schools are in overcrowded areas. The district tries to avoid year round schools as much as possible as they actually cause a disruption for families in that if one child is off for his vacation, another sibling may be in school. This system doesn't allow for vacations for families in this situation, and taking one's kid out of school for a vacation is frowned upon.

Archived