All never cruise ships have vacuum toilets?

Sailed on the Island Princess last month. Not the newest cruise ship by any chance but I noticed that the toilets weren't "flush" but rather, vacuum actuated, and a very strong vacuum at that too. That'd explain why one cannot flush the toilet while sitting on it (I can imagine more corpulent people being stuck as a result).

FWIW, not the same as an aircraft toilet which is blasted by air flow into the sewage tanks by pressure (sewage tank being much lower pressure than cabin pressure).

the system allows for the minimum use of fresh water per flush. Among the reasons: Fresh water is a scarce commodity on a ship so minimal use per flush is desirable. B4 this system came around the sanitary system was salt water which has problems with salt buildup in the pipes over time and added corrosion of metal parts. I departed my first ship assignment when the ship arrived at the yard to have the vacume system installed.

Airplane systems are chemical - that blue fluid.

There's still a few venerable old ladies on the ocean with regular flush.

I've been told that its not on the same system as the bath/shower/sink, & that they use "grey" water re-cycled from baths & kitchens & such.

Not sure if that's true, it doesn't taste any different.

JB ;)

I've been told that its not on the same system as the bath/shower/sink, & that they use "grey" water re-cycled from baths & kitchens & such.

Not sure if that's true, it doesn't taste any different.

JB ;)

Do you often taste the water in the toilet :)?

Sailed on the Island Princess last month. Not the newest cruise ship by any chance but I noticed that the toilets weren't "flush" but rather, vacuum actuated, and a very strong vacuum at that too. That'd explain why one cannot flush the toilet while sitting on it (I can imagine more corpulent people being stuck as a result).

FWIW, not the same as an aircraft toilet which is blasted by air flow into the sewage tanks by pressure (sewage tank being much lower pressure than cabin pressure).

I believe but I am not sure that Mythbusters has done something on cruise ship toilets.

DON

airline chemical is gravity ..... just like your RV

and it is held for dumping unlike a ship system that "processes" for dumping at sea

aka it runs thru a food processor

curiously these systems have become SO complicated that b4 I left the service we were seeing reports for ships that they could not sail because the computer used to fix the toilet was broken

87toilet-ET.jpg

Archived