Alaska

hgill

Mainstream lines comes down to which one gets you Glacier Bay, IMHO HAL/Princess offer the most sailngs and thus rise to the top for a look.

Which cruise line is the best for Alaska and why?

While I don't feel that there is a bad ship or line for Alaska, I would really look at itineraries and figure out what is best for you. While I have a problem recommending HAL, I do acknowledge that they with Princess have some very good itineraries as a result of their very long history in Alaska.

Alaska & the Med are the 2 cruises where the itinerary should be #1, #2 & #3. Figure out what you want to see or where you want to go and go from there. If your time and money budgets allow, you should seriously consider a one way cruise with a land trip.

Which cruise line is the best for Alaska and why?

Just got back and without a doubt, you MUST go on cruise line that goes to Glacier Bay. We saw Whales, Bears, Bald Eagle, and Sea Gulls all in Glacier Bay and without taking any expensive tours. Also saw the icebergs calving. It was spectacular. Glacier Bay and the Railway tour in Skagway that goes up to the Summit and into Frasier Canada were the best parts. I sat on my balcony and watched a Bald Eagle sit on a piece of floating ice for about 5 minutes before he finally spread his wings and flew away. The Eagle did not appear very large when sitting on the ice just looking around but when he spread his wings to fly the wings appeared to have about a 6 foot span. I've been on Cruise ships I liked much more than Island Princess but I don't think you could beat the Itinerary.

The basic answer is any of them and all of them - depending upon your wants and needs.

My own personal best was a line that does not exist anymore that ran cruises in AK on boats that held 50 people. In my opinion, the smaller the boat the better. I would love to do AK on a 4 or 8 passenger motor sailor but I can't afford it.

I would never never ever do a cruise tour. I would hate it and after 2 days on the land portion of the tour, everyone on the cruisetour would hate me.

DON

Alaska is first and foremost about the itinerary and less about the cruise line. So, please keep that in mind. It is important to first decide what itinerary you want to take and consider factors such as whether or not seeing Glacier Bay is important to you. Once you have done this, then you should look at cruise lines.

If you are looking at cruise lines in the mass market to introductory premium level then there are three cruise lines that have sailed Alaska for a very long time. Their added benefit is that they all offer land programs of Alaska should you want to spend a few days in Alaska at the end of your cruise. Again, another factor where the itinerary should be the driver.

The three lines are Princess, Celebrity and HAL. Personally, I favor the first two but that is just my opinion.

I have sailed Alaska six times on three different cruise lines.

Think itinerary, itinerary and itinerary.

Keith

Only to Alaska on HAL (3x) but loved all cruise/tour trips. Recommend you do go inland since if you just do the passage cruise, you don't really see Alaska itself. Found doing the inland tour first and cruise at the end much better since tour days you are up early and busy. By putting the cruise last, you have all leisure/relaxation on the way back to home/work. Wish we were going again soon. If could only do one trip, Alaska would be it!

HAL and Princess seem to have the biggest presence in Alaska and have been doing those cruises for the longest time and may have the 'best connections' for tour operators etc..... maybe?

We just returned from a fabulous HAL Oosterdam cruise and cannot rave about it enough.

Archived