Missing a Port

Dorset Cruiser

My Crown Princess cruise 4-16 August 2012 should have called into Rhodes on 12 August 2012. A notification has been posted on the personaliser that, due to operational reasons, Rhodes has been cancelled and Santorini will be visited on that day instead of 13 August 2012 as originally listed,, and we will then have two seadays to Naples on 15 August 2012.

Bit disappointed to be missing Rhodes as it is one of my favourite ports. Will we get any kind of reimbursement from Princess for missing one of the ports listed for the cruise?

Port charges. If your heart is set on visiting Rhodes, you might consider taking a small ship cruise. The harbor is very tight and the big ships don't have much room to maneuver. I was on a cruise once when we missed Rhodes due to weather. We were just outside the port and could see the two cruise ships stuck there for several days. If we'd made it in, chances are we would have been stuck as well.

My Crown Princess cruise 4-16 August 2012 should have called into Rhodes on 12 August 2012. A notification has been posted on the personaliser that, due to operational reasons, Rhodes has been cancelled and Santorini will be visited on that day instead of 13 August 2012 as originally listed,, and we will then have two seadays to Naples on 15 August 2012.

Bit disappointed to be missing Rhodes as it is one of my favourite ports. Will we get any kind of reimbursement from Princess for missing one of the ports listed for the cruise?

You should have the port charges refunded to your onboard account.

With that and a couple of bucks you could buy a cup of coffee ashore - maybe.

We are on the same cruise in October and are also missing Rhodes, for the same reason. Princess has been busy playing with itineraries the last few months. We have had three ports dropped (Monte Carlo, Rhodes and Acapulco) and one extended (added overnight and second day in Dubai).

The cruiseline's contract states that they can skip,or rearrange any and all ports...no reason needs to be given. When you book your cruise, you agree to those terms. Therefore, they won't be giving you any compensation....since you agreed to their terms by paying your cruisefare.

Never expected it would be much, if anything at all but just thought I would ask the question. Have called into Rhodes a couple of times on cruise ships and love it as it is very easy to walk around. No idea what operational reasons are, perhaps we will find out more when we join the ship.

We are on the same cruise in October and are also missing Rhodes, for the same reason. Princess has been busy playing with itineraries the last few months. We have had three ports dropped (Monte Carlo, Rhodes and Acapulco) and one extended (added overnight and second day in Dubai).

Monte Carlo has always been a tender port for me and has sometimes been too rough to tender.

Acapulco has got too dodgy regarding personal safety. Last day I was there on a ship 30 headless bodies were found there.

Sometimes Princess do have their passengers' best interests at heart.

Never expected it would be much, if anything at all but just thought I would ask the question. Have called into Rhodes a couple of times on cruise ships and love it as it is very easy to walk around. No idea what operational reasons are, perhaps we will find out more when we join the ship.

Operational reason given for us missing Flam in Norway ( a lovely place with a long beautiful fjord and a scenic train ride) on Ocean P. last week was that the Captain had for some reason been unable to fill up the fuel tanks and as Flam had no refuelling facilities we had to go to Stavanger instead.

It was Sunday. Stavanger was pretty much closed.

No refund or extra charge.

Captain was not the favorite person on the ship.

Not everyone on the ship believed the reasons given or that it was unavoidable.

For some reason, Istanbul was dropped by the Ruby two years ago, AFTER final payment, but before the cruise started (so it wasn't weather related). For that reason, we booked our first Celebrity cruise this past spring and had a great time. We still are going on another Princess cruise next year, but have lost some faith in the line (note threads on losing internet, one of the few suite perks, after paying).

On our Star Alaska cruise last month we missed Victoria and received $36 pp on our shipboard account. ;)

Some ports cost more than others, I don't know if there is a definitive - or any - list of where and how much.

But I doubt Rhodes would be anything like as much as Victoria.

No wonder the extra charges on Alaska cruises are so high.

Just got to trust the cruise lines to charge or refund the correct amount.

Ugh!

We're on the Crown September 21 sailing. When Rhodes was cancelled, our govt taxes and fees were reduced $1.46 (dropped from $60.00 to $58.54).

We're on the Crown September 21 sailing. When Rhodes was cancelled' date=' our govt taxes and fees were reduced $1.46 (dropped from $60.00 to $58.54).[/quote']

Thanks for confirming my gut feeling that it would be a cheap port.

Always good to know a real figure.

Operational reasons usually means that they are going to save fuel by skipping a port.

Operational reason given for us missing Flam in Norway ( a lovely place with a long beautiful fjord and a scenic train ride) on Ocean P. last week was that the Captain had for some reason been unable to fill up the fuel tanks and as Flam had no refuelling facilities we had to go to Stavanger instead.

It was Sunday. Stavanger was pretty much closed.

No refund or extra charge.

Captain was not the favorite person on the ship.

Not everyone on the ship believed the reasons given or that it was unavoidable.

On the other hand, bunkering issues could also be "operational". On our last New Year's cruise, Sapphire Princess sailed about 5 hours late because there were delays getting the ship refueled because of a bunker barge problem. That kind of problem could explain why your ship wasn't refueled as expected...

In March the Star waited six hours for the fog to lift in order to port near Lima, Peru.

The reason the ship did not just sail on to the next port instead of waiting was that this port was where the ship had to refuel.

Operational reasons usually means that they are going to save fuel by skipping a port.

On the other hand, bunkering issues could also be "operational". On our last New Year's cruise, Sapphire Princess sailed about 5 hours late because there were delays getting the ship refueled because of a bunker barge problem. That kind of problem could explain why your ship wasn't refueled as expected...

We had been berthed in Murmansk all of a previous day, no one could understand why we didn't fill up there.

Then we went down to Honnigsvag and anchored though we were meant to berth until 5.30pm.

And it was apparently too windy to refuel, though it didn't seem windy to the passengers, really smooth for most of the day.

We were told we would run out of fuel 100 miles short of Dover if we tried to go to Flam as scheduled.

Personally I didn't care but many people were annoyed at the change.

Monte Carlo has always been a tender port for me and has sometimes been too rough to tender.

Acapulco has got too dodgy regarding personal safety. Last day I was there on a ship 30 headless bodies were found there.

Sometimes Princess do have their passengers' best interests at heart.

Monaco is not always a tender port. Ruby has already docked there at least once this year. Totally depends on traffic.

Monte Carlo was also our roughest tender port. Our ship had to leave because of rough seas for fear of being stuck there. Imagine our shock to discover our ship gone! When we went back to the harbour, they had shuttle buses to take us to Cannes where our ship was waiting.

Operational reasons appears to be based upon the cost of getting to Rhodes. Plus, a sea day is more revenue for the ship.

We were in Rhodes on another cruise line in May. It is a very easy port to do on your own. Sorry that you will miss it.

I am a Princess fan but this kind of stuff is frustrating. It's not about the sea conditions, etc., when they cancel the port for the entire season.

Monte Carlo was also our roughest tender port. Our ship had to leave because of rough seas for fear of being stuck there. Imagine our shock to discover our ship gone! When we went back to the harbour, they had shuttle buses to take us to Cannes where our ship was waiting.

oh my goodness, that would be a shock! heading to the dock and not seeing your ship...yikes!

oh my goodness, that would be a shock! heading to the dock and not seeing your ship...yikes!

We had one vocal couple on our bus who had hired a car and driver to take them to Cannes for the day. They grumbled all the way (back) to Cannes to the ship.

I was just holding my breath that the huge bus could make the hairpin curves. Worse than the Almalfi Coast!

Anyway, the drawback was that the buses were one way to the ship. Even thought the all board was1030pm, if you went back to the ship, you had to stay.:(

Archived